Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Another Chapter of Rookie QB torches Colts

indyagent17

I was afraid of this happening again.

its happens every few years we give a undrafted rookie a career day 

This smells very like the San Diego game where the offense cannot finish

How about the sack on Luck when McGlynn and Cherlous block no one and gives a free land to the QB

Sure we got cheated on a few plays but Luck looks lost and recievers need to step up 

Houston is still a formidable defense and its going to really hard to come back from being down so far

We sure look exposed and lost

It's hard to get ready for a guy when you don't have tape on them.

Grandpa Ted (our old coach in middle 90's for those that don't get the reference) used to say a back up QB can win you four games if you have to start him for four games but he can also lose you four games if you have to start him four games longer than that. 

This is terrible like one hundred times as terrible as the SD game was defense still sucks offense cant do anything this just sucks.

It's so terrible it's 2011 terrible.  I think what we are seeing is if you have a really good young QB it doesn't matter if you don't have a line and a WR to go with him where as the 2011 team had the WRs (not just Wayne but Garcon as well) and no QB. This is the danger of always trading away your draft picks it's going to be that much harder to get Luck help.  We had better hope Grigson nails some really big free agent signings because at this point you are looking at maybe having to trade away the 2015 first rounder to get into the 2014 first round to get a WR because even if Reggie comes back and is the old Reggie he's not going to play forever and next year is the last year of his deal.

This is a case of not playing well on the road

The SF game and the High School team in Jacksonville

We have thrown two huge bricks and we cannot play this bad against an AFC south team

Blocking is horrible with a dozen missed blocking assignments

This looks like a trap game. We knew that if we beat Houston we could knock them out and it looks like most of our  team stayed home

It's so terrible it's 2011 terrible.  I think what we are seeing is if you have a really good young QB it doesn't matter if you don't have a line and a WR to go with him where as the 2011 team had the WRs (not just Wayne but Garcon as well) and no QB. This is the danger of always trading away your draft picks it's going to be that much harder to get Luck help.  We had better hope Grigson nails some really big free agent signings because at this point you are looking at maybe having to trade away the 2015 first rounder to get into the 2014 first round to get a WR because even if Reggie comes back and is the old Reggie he's not going to play forever and next year is the last year of his deal.

Maybe not 2011 terrible but for the most part they better improve that was just bad.

This thread is comedy, when read with the benefit of hindsight. The Titans in the driver's seat? The Colts finish 7-9? Division is up for grabs? You guys are funny...

I get it, though. We stunk until halfway through the third quarter. But sometimes you have to struggle through a bad half, and then as long as you make a few plays, you have a chance. The difference between this game and the Chargers game is that we came up with a few plays last night. I'd love to see us dominate the start of every game, and cruise to victory. But it doesn't work like that. Even the Broncos, the most prolific team in the league right now, looked like trash for most of the game against the Redskins. Then they dropped 31 in the fourth quarter. The Seahawks were down 21-0 to a winless team, then they flipped the switch. The Chiefs were about to be down by two touchdowns, then they got a pick six and the game turned. You have to make plays, even if you start out ugly.

There are no perfect teams in this league. Very rarely does a team play a perfect game. I was disappointed with the start of the game, both the coaching and the execution. But we started getting things fixed, weathered the storm, survived some poor officiating, and made just enough plays to win a tough divisional game on the road. We haven't won in Houston in four years, by the way. The Colts are easily the best team in the division, and being able to come back and win on the road after being down by three scores is a testament to that fact. 

I was unaware that Pep was a starter on the o-line.

The line play was awful, and the receivers were dropping passes. But Pep's play calling left a lot to be desired. This tired old "the coaches can't block, the coaches can't catch" line isn't gonna fly. The coaches absolutely deserve criticism.

They also deserve credit for getting it turned around, but it looked bad for a long time.

This thread is comedy, when read with the benefit of hindsight. The Titans in the driver's seat? The Colts finish 7-9? Division is up for grabs? You guys are funny...

I get it, though. We stunk until halfway through the third quarter. But sometimes you have to struggle through a bad half, and then as long as you make a few plays, you have a chance. The difference between this game and the Chargers game is that we came up with a few plays last night. I'd love to see us dominate the start of every game, and cruise to victory. But it doesn't work like that. Even the Broncos, the most prolific team in the league right now, looked like trash for most of the game against the Redskins. Then they dropped 31 in the fourth quarter. The Seahawks were down 21-0 to a winless team, then they flipped the switch. The Chiefs were about to be down by two touchdowns, then they got a pick six and the game turned. You have to make plays, even if you start out ugly.

There are no perfect teams in this league. Very rarely does a team play a perfect game. I was disappointed with the start of the game, both the coaching and the execution. But we started getting things fixed, weathered the storm, survived some poor officiating, and made just enough plays to win a tough divisional game on the road. We haven't won in Houston in four years, by the way. The Colts are easily the best team in the division, and being able to come back and win on the road after being down by three scores is a testament to that fact. 

Honestly, I just started going through this just now, and it didn't click that this thread was going on what would have been around the 3rd quarter.  I thought that I just stepped into the twilight zone and everyone thought this season was a wash.  I questioned myself for a split second whether we actually won the game, lol.  But I mean, don't get me wrong, there was plenty of negative about yesterdays' game, but we still won. 

The line play was awful, and the receivers were dropping passes. But Pep's play calling left a lot to be desired. This tired old "the coaches can't block, the coaches can't catch" line isn't gonna fly. The coaches absolutely deserve criticism.

They also deserve credit for getting it turned around, but it looked bad for a long time.

Yeah, I just can't defend Pep's insistance on the power run game anymore.  We churn out the small gains here and there, but with so many defenders in teh box plus Pep's predictability in the run heavy formations, we'll almost never churn out the big 15-20 yard gains on occassion in those formations (which coincidentally is the only thing standing between Trent and a decent YPC that everyone criticizes him for).  I think we do well for it's design (however, not good enough that it should be the cornerstone of our offense IMO), but anymore, I just think it serves to get us behind early and hope that we are close enough in the 4th to take advantage of a worn out defensive front.  It's one thing to start the game with it, and if it works like it did against SF, then by all means, keep on it.  But when we're down 14-0 and have shown no signs of improvement, we're the text book definition of insanity if we keep insisting on it.

My original points are still valid. we made a lot of huge mistakes last night 

The Offensive Line did better in the 2nd half but they missed a few blocking assignments that hurt our running game

We cant afford to start slow like that if we want to win a title

Division is officially up for grabs

This is terrible like one hundred times as terrible as the SD game was defense still sucks offense cant do anything this just sucks.

Honestly I think the Titans might be in the drivers seat. 4-4 and getting healthy and two games against the Colts to go.

Fire pep after the game.

judging by this game with them coming of the bye and playing this bad, the Colts finish 7-9.

I was starting to believe that the Colts had something special. Not so much now.

This is a case of not playing well on the road

The SF game and the High School team in Jacksonville

We have thrown two huge bricks and we cannot play this bad against an AFC south team

Blocking is horrible with a dozen missed blocking assignments

This looks like a trap game. We knew that if we beat Houston we could knock them out and it looks like most of our  team stayed home

:facepalm:

The Offensive Line did better in the 2nd half but they missed a few blocking assignments that hurt our running game

But we can finish strong like last night, and win a title? Two ways to look at it. You go your way, I'll go mine.

Finishing when it matters is more important than starting when it doesn't.....

Agreed.  As Superman said above, there is a lot of criticism that should be directed at our coaching as well.  When we telegraph our punches, it may be the methodical body shots, but what good does it do if the opponents hit us so hard that we can't see straight for hte rest of the game?  If we go into halftime 21-3 as the visiting team against the Broncos, Chiefs or Patriots in the AFC playoff games, we may not be talking about how we dodged a bullet the following morning. 

But we can finish strong like last night, and win a title? Two ways to look at it. You go your way, I'll go mine.

Finishing when it matters is more important than starting when it doesn't.....

Well, I think the point he was trying to make is, what good does it do if we finish strong and score 21 points in the fourth quarter if we're down 28?  We can finish the game strong and still lose.

in response to Kyle's post I agree but my point is still valid, We didnt not play well 

not counting the win against SF and the joke of a team in Jacksonville we have not put two consecutive quarters together on the road and that needs to change.

Blocking was horrible, I saw at least 13 missed assignments and each one hurt us

And this looked like a trap game and it looked like our CB's couldnt track a deep ball at all last night

Thank God we won but we have things to work on before it becomes a huge issue

By the way, I am a dedicated Colts fan, I have never left a game early and i have never turned off a game until it was over.

I bleed Blue!

Every team always has things to work on, and things to do. The players and coaches and owners and ex-players and pundits and journalists are always saying it...."it's tough to win games in the NFL". What divine right do we have (or any other team for that matter) to play perfect football every week? Some times, well, most of the times, the bunch of guys on the opposite side of the LOS are trying to stop you doing what you want. 

There is acknowledging improvements are required, but sulking and whining like a 5 year old is tiring. We have Rams, Titans, Texans and Jags at home. That could be 4-0. We have Cards, Titans, KC and Bengals away, 2-2 at worst. Then it's game time.....if we can get within a score of any team within the last few minutes, we can win any game. Scrappy or beautiful, who cares.

I stand by what I said! If they don't do a better job of preparation, coaching and play calling, Andrew Luck isn't going to be able to bail them out every game. You can go ahead and thank the Texans kicker for this win.

Texans didn't put the game away in the first half, even with the refs giving them the fumble back...

game could've easily been 10-14 at half...

FG's count that's why you play the game...

The Colts are a young team, hence the up & down quality in play, couple that with poor o-line play, the Texans good defense & pass rush, & the first game playing without Reggie & you have what you saw last night...

the Colts decided to play for the entire 60 mins. & TY showed up big time & Fleener had a key 2 point conversion grab as well if my memory serves me correctly...

The Texans could have easily rallied for Kubiak & a mourning Wade Phillips...

They did not & Luck did what he does, win games in the fourth quarter...

funny I missed the part when it was 21-3 where you or anyone else was saying don't worry colts got this...

Also the titans are still a serious threat. Only one left in the division.

There was a muted minority in the GD thread, mostly trying to firefight the cries of season doom.

I mean come on people in there were saying game over after the first Texan TD!

funny I missed the part when it was 21-3 where you or anyone else was saying don't worry colts got this...

i do not get on here during the game.  I wish I could send you my texts to my brother-in-law though.  I swear this is my convo during the game:

He says: That ain't good...  (after 1st Andre score)

I say: nope, but it's ok, we will win.

He says: oh yeah...is that right?

I say: now we just have to make a stop, score and its a tie ballgame

He says: oh, that's all?

I say: WOW!! HE DID NOT TOUCH THE BALL AT ALL!!! HOW IS THAT NOT ROUGHING THE KICKER!!!

He says: at this pace they are going to score 50 points

I say:  I still say we are going to win!  

He says: haha

I say: THATS ********!!!  (overturned fumble call)

He says: a little homecookin goin down

I say: can we please put 2 guys on AJ.  half time can't come soon enough.  we have got to make some adjustments.   things have went horrible and we are only down 11 points.  

He say: umm, make that 18 points

I say: wow... we are still going to win!

ok. i know thats a lot, but the point is, just because i didnt post it here doesnt mean i didnt think it.

Also the titans are still a serious threat. Only one left in the division.

Go back and reread some posts. I can think of a few people who said the Colts would be fine.

See people keep saying that, but we keep starting slow and we keep winning.

Color me, not worried.

i do not get on here during the game.  I wish I could send you my texts to my brother-in-law though.  I swear this is my convo during the game:

He says: That ain't good...  (after 1st Andre score)

I say: nope, but it's ok, we will win.

He says: oh yeah...is that right?

I say: now we just have to make a stop, score and its a tie ballgame

He says: oh, that's all?

I say: WOW!! HE DID NOT TOUCH THE BALL AT ALL!!! HOW IS THAT NOT ROUGHING THE KICKER!!!

He says: at this pace they are going to score 50 points

I say:  I still say we are going to win!  

He says: haha

I say: THATS ********!!!  (overturned fumble call)

He says: a little homecookin goin down

I say: can we please put 2 guys on AJ.  half time can't come soon enough.  we have got to make some adjustments.   things have went horrible and we are only down 11 points.  

He say: umm, make that 18 points

I say: wow... we are still going to win!

ok. i know thats a lot, but the point is, just because i didnt post it here doesnt mean i didnt think it.

Anyone who wasn't at least concerned when it was 21-3 is lying to themselves based on how the Colts were playing. 

With that said, I made several posts last night that the Texans were riding a wave of emotion in the first half which they were.  Knowing that goes away at some point.  I also kept bringing up the point Texans were letting the Colts hang around.  So just because I felt like if the Colts lost that the Titans would be in the driver's seat for the AFC South Title isn't all that alarming.  They are still a legit threat because they ugly up games with any team they play and just kinda hang around.  On top of that we go there on a very short week and this is a very beat up football team right now in Indianapolis.  That's going to be a hard get down there in Tennessee and if they win that game they would only be a game (assuming we beat the Rams this weekend and they win) with a win over the Colts which isn't out of the possibility.  I've been saying before the Texans game that the real threat to the Colts in the South this year was the Titans and frankly most Colts fans are just completely over looking them.  I think that's a mistake.  At 6-2 do I think the Colts are going to win the South?  Yes I do but I also feel like it's too early to start acting like the South is ours already like some have done. 

As for the game last night, sure some people were over reacting people always do during games but you know what for about 2 1/2 quarters of that game if you were posting during the game you were going to be saying negative things about the Colts because they were awful during that time.  Most people were talking about the game last night though and weren't writing off the rest of the year or having major over reactions.  Yes some did but most did not.  They were reacting to what they were seeing on the field at that time.  So to come in here and find any post you find that says anything negative about the Colts after the fact and lump them all together so you can do the face palm thing is a bit of a bush league move IMO because you weren't here during it.  If you were one of those here saying things will be alright that's one thing.  However to come in and gloat when you weren't here when it was going is another. 

well, we are pretty ok or decent nfl team. can we beat denver in the playoffs? can we beat SD, Jets, Titans, Patriots, KC, Cincy (the list goes on) in the playoffs on the road? this last weekend proved anybody can possibly beat anyone else. parity. do we have weaknesses? sure, o-line!!! defense!! Special Teams!!! wide receivers! feature-back!!

! exclamations are level of severity