Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Caldwell/coaching (Merge)

number28

Don't recall hearing their names mentioned during the game last week. Did they do anything?

Well they get mentioned when they sack a QB...

hehe..

I get so sick of hearing the old "this D was built to play with a lead" . .. .??? Really? How about building a D to STOP somebody on third and ONE? How about building a D STOP somebody period? Seriously.

I have heard Polian say the same stupid line "this D is built to play with a lead" .. and was then and is now the stupidest comment I have ever heard come out of his HOF mouth.

Just build a D to stop the other team .... period.

in all honesty this quote was probably thrown out there to mask the BLATANT deficiencies in other areas. Focus on the All Pro ends and forget about the rest of the sorry squad. Oh, and never mind that Dwight and Rob almost NEVER keep their containment.

But we are built to play with a lead... heehe.. nonsense 17-0 ring a bell....

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did I say they were slouches... They were fired, some deserved it more than others, some had different reasons. Add Fisher to the list, he was fired. I guess he sucks too. I guess they all suck but Jim Caldwell, the only reason we've won the past two divisions. See how it looks to put words in someones post.

I didn't want the joke of a coach hired to start with, but he was. He was hired for continuity from the Dungy staff. He wasn't an offensive whiz, or a defensive stud, he was/is a CEO type hired not to wreck the car he was riding in and so far he's 2 for 2 in doing that.

Do I put 100% of the blame on Caldwell/Staff for being 0-6. No. The majority of that falls on the fact that Manning is injured. With that said do I put a lot of the fault on the team being winless instead of 2-4, 3-3, 4-2. Yes. When they knew Manning wasn't going to be playing for a period of time and heck they might know that he won't play at all. We don't yet. But when they knew he wasn't going to be playing, their job was to make the most of the situation and they haven't.

Nobody can expect them to not miss a beat. That would't happen if you had a combination urn of Lombardi, Walsh and Landry being held by Chuck Noll, but we wouldn't be 0-6 at this point with a good coach.

Peyton Manning is the best quarterback this game has seen. He's been held back the past two years with an inadequate head coach. I wanted Caldwell gone long before Manning had his neck cut on this off season. I don't need to say that the Colts have one of the worst head coaches in the game to make me sleep at night. But I guess it is hard to defend him. So I do applaud your valiant effort. You are failing, but I applaud the effort. Just don't wear yourself out in trying to make him look good.

you are the failure here. If we bring in anyone here and they go 0-6 you will be blaming him as well. Bring in Fisher, he will go 0-6 and you will want him out. Mod Edit No personal shots please.

Well they get mentioned when they sack a QB...

hehe..

I get so sick of hearing the old "this D was built to play with a lead" . .. .??? Really? How about building a D to STOP somebody on third and ONE? How about building a D STOP somebody period? Seriously.

I have heard Polian say the same stupid line "this D is built to play with a lead" .. and was then and is now the stupidest comment I have ever heard come out of his HOF mouth.

Just build a D to stop the other team .... period.

in all honesty this quote was probably thrown out there to mask the BLATANT deficiencies in other areas. Focus on the All Pro ends and forget about the rest of the sorry squad. Oh, and never mind that Dwight and Rob almost NEVER keep their containment.

But we are built to play with a lead... heehe.. nonsense 17-0 ring a bell....

You do realize there is a cap right? This isn't Madden.

With the amount of money we have invested in our offense and other key players, we've only got so much to go around.

Like I said before, its like Wack a Mole. Address one area, others pop up. This is why teams are rarely so dominant on all sides of the ball. And if they are, its usually only for 1 or 2 seasons.

And not sure if you noticed but the FO did address our D line this year with draft and FA. Strangely enough, since Caldwell has come in, we've bulked up on the line and LB corps.

Worst rebuttal ever. I'm so sick of hearing this "Madden" insult being thrown around like it makes your point for you. Flat out ignorant. Nothing John said even remotely requires the "yous play 2 much Maddens" comment.

you are the failure here. If we bring in anyone here and they go 0-6 you will be blaming him as well. Bring in Fisher, he will go 0-6 and you will want him out. Mod Edit

This is comical. Hopefully in the future you can improve on your reading comprehension skills. Blind love for Caldwell... gotta love it...

Honest question.. Mod Edit

Do you feel that any of the 6 games were winnable?

Edited by Coltssouth

Caldwell said in his post game interview that we need to learn how to win....

Does he mean guys like Saturday, Wayne, Clark, Collie, Diem, Freeney, Mathis, Muir? Who, I might add, have never known a losing season as a pro.

Or guys like oh say Caldwell, Coyer?

Caldwell's record at Wake Forest was a miserable 23 and 63. What on earth does anyone see there that says he is an NFL head coach in the waiting?

Since the Colts took a dive at 14-0, our record is 12-16. The man lost the Super Bowl, plain and simple...

Yeah, WE need to learn how to win. uhuh...got it.....

Edited by BIGugly

So Brad Childress, John Fox and Wade Phillips are all slouches?

They are proven winning coaches that were fired because their team decided to play like crap that season.

Keep blaming coaches for the Colts patheticism this year. Whatever makes you sleep better at night.

Brad Childress? Seriously? Why am I even talking to you?

Caldwell said in his post game interview that we need to learn how to win....

Does he mean guys like Saturday, Wayne, Clark, Collie, Diem, Freeney, Mathis, Muir? Who, I might add, have never known a losing season as a pro.

Or guys like oh say Caldwell, Coyer?

Caldwell's record at Wake Forest was a miserable 23 and 63. What on earth does anyone see there that says he is an NFL head coach in the waiting?

Since the Colts took a dive at 14-0, our record is 12-16. The man lost the Super Bowl, plain and simple...

Yeah, WE need to learn how to win. uhuh...got it.....

This is what I have been screaming from the mountian tops. If you know a little bit about football you would see

the guy is not a game day coach, and it is starting to show at a rapid pace. If they keep him around he will leave here

with a similar record to the one he had at wake and they were not horrible when he got there either. There is enough

talent here that we should at least be 4-2.

I suppose Caldwell is responsible for vocational questions (like drafts, tactics etc.), and he is giving orders to the team at the sideline, thats why we, fans are liable to blame head coach for 0-6. I think, we've met at leas two beatable teams so far.

Manning's injury is a significant loss to the team, but six straight defeat out of six games may indicate that something doesn't works between the coach and the team. If so, no matter what kind of coach the team has, the work would remain inefficient. In that case, change in coaching is needed.

Perhaps an other coach with different philosophy and/or method, renewed tactics, new impressions may shake up the company. However I won't mind, if Caldwell starts to make wonder, and Indy will end the season with 8-6. I'm afraid, that won't happen! :(

Let's hear those horseshoes tramping!!!

Perhaps an other coach with different philosophy and/or method, renewed tactics, new impressions may shake up the company. However I won't mind, if Caldwell starts to make wonder, and Indy will end the season with 8-6. I'm afraid, that won't happen! :(

Let's hear those horseshoes tramping!!!

Ya think if we get to 8-6 we will rest our starters? hehehehe...

does he play CB on our team?

does he turn the ball over?

is he the one that can't play in the 4th quarter because he is too tired?

are we 0-6 because of Caldwell or because we are a soft, vanilla team with no heart and no guts?

Shouldn't we blame Manning for getting injured and ruining our pathetic little team?

Your right he doesnt play corner but he does control the team and adjustments that are made at half time. Hes done a terrible job, allowing his DC to continually play his corners 5-10 yards off the line every play allowing quick slants to virtually destroy us. Only rushing 4 virtually every passing down thinking that Freeney, Mathis will always generate pressure, droping every one else into soft coverage. Josh Freeman looked like Arron Rogers against us. This coaching staff is a joke, I once gave Caldwell much credit in getting us to the superbowl. And I told myself this will be a telling year of how good of a caoch he was. If you cant make simple adjustments in winnable games especially when you have the lead theeres a problem. You cant play soft coverage every play and not expect even Kyle Boller to pick you apart. Small adjustments like allowing free release at the line make a huge difference, I played football as a WR/RB and loved when corners gave me free release at the line but even in college they dont do it every play. Ill be glad when this coaching night mare is over.

Edited by Rich Cannon

does he play CB on our team?

does he turn the ball over?

is he the one that can't play in the 4th quarter because he is too tired?

are we 0-6 because of Caldwell or because we are a soft, vanilla team with no heart and no guts?

Shouldn't we blame Manning for getting injured and ruining our pathetic little team?

Caldwell is the one who is soft, vanilla and has no guts, he is also too tired in the 4th 1/4 so he calls timeout whenever he feels like blowing a game.

I'd like to see him replaced with someone who can actually fire up a team, this speak softly attitude has no place in the NFL and it just cements the fact that Peyton runs the team and without him @ the helm we are bottom dwellers.

I thought the Caldwell coached much better than he has so far this year in the Bengals game. Even though he started Jacob Lacey, or if Bill Polian started Lacey, he pulled him and put in Terrance Johnson after he had seen enough. I like the shades he was wearing, he clapped on a couple of plays and looked more comfortable out there. He trusted his Austin Collie and threw a challenge flag in what seemed to be a good challenge, even though the play wasn't ruled a catch because of the bad camera angles and the lighting. The commentators thought it was a good challenge too. Our defense played pretty well I liked what the D-line was doing rushing 3 down lineman and having Wheeler as a standing potential 4th rusher. We could use Jerry Hughes in that position too, but he would probably just be used in rushing the quarterback, not in coverage.

All in all, I think Caldwell coached a pretty good game.

From an article on FoxSports.com by Adam Schein:

I’ll just go ahead and write it: Jim Caldwell should be the ex-coach of the Colts when the season is over.

I take no pleasure in writing that. Caldwell is one of the most decent people you will ever meet. And it isn’t his fault the organization was ill-prepared for 2011 and Peyton Manning’s health. But Caldwell is a bad head coach.

What are his skills? Why should he stay on in Indy? If you disagree with my take, enlighten me on his strengths. His in-game management has always been suspect, starting with his disastrous and goofy clock management at the end of the playoff loss to the Jets last year that had Manning shaking his head from the sidelines.

He is supposed to be an offensive coach and a quarterback guru. Have we seen that? His winless team has appeared flat and uninterested. Sure, the team was built around one iconic star player. But this commentary dates back to all three years now on Caldwell. He took Tony Dungy’s team to the Super Bowl. Caldwell removed his starters in Week 16 of that year to get his team ready for the playoffs and eschew perfection.

Bill Belichick won double-digit games when he lost Tom Brady for the year in Week 1. Caldwell’s 2011 Colts are a legit candidate to lose every single game. That’s coaching.

Caldwell made sense, despite his awful showing as a college head coach, because when you employ Manning, continuity is key. Dungy wanted Caldwell to replace him. The great Bill Polian wanted someone to nod. It all seemed logical, three years ago. It was the right appointment.

The Colts now need to look into the crystal ball. Is Caldwell the right man to usher in a new quarterback, maybe even Andrew Luck? Is he the right person to tell Manning that his time is up? Is he the right person to inspire and pick a system for the post-Peyton Colts?

The 2012 Colts need a fresh voice. Change is inevitable by 2013. Be proactive, improve the head coach and do it at the end of the year. It will be the best thing to happen to the franchise.

Link: http://msn.foxsports...well-not-101811

While his "ushering in a new quarterback" comments are ridiculous, and the article itself is harsh, the belief that Caldwell is a problem spreads beyond the Colts forums now.

Caldwell has had good moments and bad moments, with little in between. In fact, the in between - the material with which we could better gauge him on - was almost always covered by Manning's brilliance.

Edited by doogansquest

From an article on FoxSports.com by Adam Schein:

Link: http://msn.foxsports...well-not-101811

While his "ushering in a new quarterback" comments are ridiculous, and the article itself is harsh, the belief that Caldwell is a problem spreads beyond the Colts forums now.

Caldwell has had good moments and bad moments, with little in between. In fact, the in between - the material with which we could better gauge him on - was almost always covered by Manning's brilliance.

News flash he is not the first talking head to say that. Why do you think 90% of the people want a change. It is so

obvious to even the casual fan he is in over his head. (doog, i know he and he alone took us to the sb)

You didn't miss another opportunity to come off as a jerk, at least.

And did you mean Manning, or Caldwell took us to the Super Bowl? Because I have NEVER said Caldwell took us there.

Sorry, that is never my intention. Just a fan who is firm in his belief that my favorite sports team needs better leadership.

And yes I feel that Peyton Manning has done more for this team and city than anyone not named Jim Irsay.

sorry but im seeing way too many fans apologizing for caldwell, like that article said what are his strengths? what does he excel at? some fans say but he took us to the superbowl. so how exactly did he do that? what game adjustments did he make at half time of all these games? if you can give me positive things that hes done then sure keep him for another year but from what ive seen it looks to me like he is out of a job come 2012

put any other coach into this situation and I bet they don't win games.

Blaming Caldwell is an ignorant move.

You people just can't accept that the team sucks and need someone to point your filthy fingers on.

What you lookin' at? You all a bunch of spoiled fans. You know why? You don't have the guts to be what you wanna be? You need people like Caldwell. You need people like him so you can point your filthy fingers and say, "That's the bad guy." So... what that make you? Good? You're not good. You just know how to hide, how to lie. Him, he don't have that problem. Him, he always tell the truth. Even when he lies. So say good night to the bad guy! Come on. The last time you gonna see a bad guy like this again, let me tell you. Come on. Make way for the bad guy. There's a bad guy comin' through! Better get outta his way!

I respectfully disagree. I'm not saying that we have talent all over the field, but a great HC could somehow will at least one or two wins out of six games with this team.

Worst rebuttal ever. I'm so sick of hearing this "Madden" insult being thrown around like it makes your point for you. Flat out ignorant. Nothing John said even remotely requires the "yous play 2 much Maddens" comment.

Worst rebuttal ever? Biggest over reaction to post ever. You need to calm down.

John says he wants a D that can stop the other team. Its not that easy. I'm all for it. But its incredibly difficult given the large amount of cap our stars take up. I've said this repeatedly but no one's commented on it. Our philosophy is to have a high powered offense and allow the defense (specifically the ends) to get at the QB. It has its weaknesses as we have all seen. Essentially this team has had its head cut off and replaced it when a sock puppet (Note: I like Painter and think he's a capable back up and may be a starter on another team).

This team doesn't have that much space in the cap to make quality additions in our weaknesses. So, they have to go fishing. Sometimes we win and sometimes we lose. Very rarely do teams have a prolific offense and dominant defense. If they do, its usually only for a season or two.

Now back to Caldwell. None of us are in the locker room. Not the fans, not the "experts" and not the writers who type away their clever little articles. The only ones who are, are the only ones that matter. And unfortunately the players are far too respectful to say anything.

I remember when Dungy was here. He was not a very popular coach before he won the SB. People said a lot of things about him that weren't flattering or complimentary of him as a coach. I was one of them. I wanted him gone too.

But after he won a SB and retired, more and more you would hear players talk about how much they appreciated him and how much they thought he was a great coach. According to most players, he was an incredibly great coach.

I'm not saying Cadlwell will have the same reaction from fans. Wouldn't surprise me either way. But I will withhold my judgements until I hear from players how they feel about him. They'll be my deciding factor.

Someones head will roll for the way we've been playing this season, particularly if we keep losing. The Polians could fall on their swords for Caldwell, but does anyone really expect them to? Caldwell may not be a great coach, but he makes for a mighty fine scapegoat.

This team is missing more than Manning. Whatever happened to accountability? That used to be important, now days excuses are made. I just get the feeling that everyone from the top down is getting a free pass because of Manning. This team should not be winless rightnow.

If anyone can sit and say "caldwell is a good HC" I would just like to know how in the he11 they come to that conclusion with out the use of crack cocaine? He was never a good college caliber HC much less NFL and I dont blame the man for being are HC because he did not put himself there but that sure as he11 does not mean he should be here.........Its been said 100 times and it will stand true " the day he gets showen the door is the day his time as a HC in the NFL is OVER"

This team is missing more than Manning. Whatever happened to accountability? That used to be important, now days excuses are made. I just get the feeling that everyone from the top down is getting a free pass because of Manning. This team should not be winless rightnow.

THIS......................

Since Dungy left, .... Moore has left? Mudd has left? The ship is rudderless. Irsay twetting info before the info hits the wire. This organization is becoming a joke really fast.

Polian needs to real the mess back in. Dungy would have never put up with the silly drama going on now in Colt land.

Too many chiefs now and not enough indians........

Everyone in this franchise got drunk with success and forgot how it was achieved.

i think people forget that he took us to the Super Bowl in his very first coaching year...

with so much pressure, he pulled something amazing by taking over Tony Dungys legacy. Even though Peyton does alot, he is still involved...

Yep, and ... now... ??

With the amount of money we have invested in our offense and other key players, we've only got so much to go around.

Like I said before, its like Wack a Mole. Address one area, others pop up. This is why teams are rarely so dominant on all sides of the ball. And if they are, its usually only for 1 or 2 seasons.

And not sure if you noticed but the FO did address our D line this year with draft and FA. Strangely enough, since Caldwell has come in, we've bulked up on the line and LB corps.

Have you ever looked at the Colts cap?

Dwight is the 2nd highest paid player on the team at around ... umm 18 mil per....

Brackett... around 4 or 5

Mathis around 4 or 5

that alone represents probably close to 20% of the teams cap number. Freeney gets about 1 mil per sack. Because he sure as heck doesn't defend the run.

So...... ??

This franchise has spent money poorly.... esp the last few years. Sanders, Clark, ....

never mind...

Caldwell is a great coach and the Colts are just unlucky. And the cap space is ..... what it is.

bill beliceck was bad at first give the guy a chance this team i mean this manning is nth with out manning like a body with out the head

BB was a .500 coach in the AFC central playing against Pitt, and Balt. With Vinny as his QB. He was still was competitive. The Colts have 6 former ALL PROS ON THIS ROSTER... and they look lost.

Something is bad amiss.

BB was a .500 coach in the AFC central playing against Pitt, and Balt. With Vinny as his QB. He was still was competitive. The Colts have 6 former ALL PROS ON THIS ROSTER... and they look lost.

Something is bad amiss.

For accuracy purposes, when Belichick was in the AFC Central he was coaching the team that became the Baltimore Ravens. He was going up against Cincy, Pitt & Houston.

THIS......................

Since Dungy left, .... Moore has left? Mudd has left? The ship is rudderless. Irsay twetting info before the info hits the wire. This organization is becoming a joke really fast.

Polian needs to real the mess back in. Dungy would have never put up with the silly drama going on now in Colt land.

Too many chiefs now and not enough indians........

Everyone in this franchise got drunk with success and forgot how it was achieved.

Good point about Moore & Mudd. I wonder if we will ever know the truth about why they left.

I'm not sure if we have a cheif at all on this coaching staff. Certainly not one that has earned the feathers.

Caldwell is the one who is soft, vanilla and has no guts, he is also too tired in the 4th 1/4 so he calls timeout whenever he feels like blowing a game.

I'd like to see him replaced with someone who can actually fire up a team, this speak softly attitude has no place in the NFL and it just cements the fact that Peyton runs the team and without him @ the helm we are bottom dwellers.

Caldwell only calls 4th quarter TO when he wants to blow the game? That is hysterical.

But the comments about replacing him with someone to fire up the team because the NFL is no place for soft spoken coaches is simply uninformed at best. First off, Tony Dungy, Tom Landry, Chuck Noll, Bill Walsh among others all say hello.

Caldwell has given the masses enough to question him, but the hatred is irrational at best. No matter what he does, he will questioned.

No guts after he punts on 4th & 1. What a soft guy he is.

Goes for it on 4th down people will be on here complaining about his game management.

I'm not convinced Mudd and Moore were as important as some imply. While it is only their first year with their respective teams, neither one has improved in their particular area. I'll give them a year or two before I pass judgement, but if this season is any indication, it looks like Peyton might have been even more important (as impossible as it might seem) than some imagined.

Edited by RexallTheEnigma

I'm not convinced Mudd and Moore were as important as some imply. While it is only their first year with their respective teams, neither one has improved in their particular area. I'll give them a year or two before I pass judgement, but if this season is any indication, it looks like Peyton might have been even more important (as impossible as it might seem) than some imagined.

To be fair, Moore isn't in the same position with the Jets. He's consulting from South Carolina. He's not there day to day, and I'm not even sure if he's breaking down tape of the Jets offense, the Jets defense or both.

Mudd on the other hand is in the same position, but you also have to consider he's attempted to give Vick the same responsibilities as were given to Manning about protection calls, and that is likely one of the key issues they are having. There is no way Vick puts in the same time in planning that Manning does and to be quite honest I don't think he could comprehend it if he even had the desire to put in the effort.

Caldwell only calls 4th quarter TO when he wants to blow the game? That is hysterical.

But the comments about replacing him with someone to fire up the team because the NFL is no place for soft spoken coaches is simply uninformed at best. First off, Tony Dungy, Tom Landry, Chuck Noll, Bill Walsh among others all say hello.

Caldwell has given the masses enough to question him, but the hatred is irrational at best. No matter what he does, he will questioned.

No guts after he punts on 4th & 1. What a soft guy he is.

Goes for it on 4th down people will be on here complaining about his game management.

I wish we could evaluate Dungy without Manning, I bet we get the same results. He was also way too soft. This team needs someone who does more than throw a golf clap at a scoring play, and more than a disgruntled look when someone messes up.