Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

When Are Will The Coaching Staff Be Handle Accountable?

hurricane1122

This is no longer a problem related to not having peyton. Colts are losing games because of mental mistakes, poor challenges, poor playing calling (two qb sneaks on the goal line with a mix and match oline), taking 5 and a half games to bench lacey, poor execution in all phases of the game by coaches and players. It is pro sports and someone has to be 's handle accountable at some point. It may not be solely Caldwell's fault but he is the head coach and the head coach is usually the one to end up taking the fall for losing.

Come on, there is no problem here everyone is just overreacting! Just stop complaining Polian have it under control., Caldwell and Coyer have it under control. Blame Lacey, Garcon and Painter.

i hope your joking. coyer has no idea what he is doing. 5 and a half games for coyer and the coaching staff to realize lacey is horrible? inexcuseable.

I thought the challenge was a good call today. Collie truly believed he caught it. Show your players you have their back.

It's a nice thought to say you have to have your player's back, but you also have to make sure there's a proper replay angle that shows concrete evidence that the play on the field was wrong. I was very surprised with how quickly Caldwell challenged and I think he did simply take Collie's word instead of waiting to get word from anyone watching the replays that he actually should challenge. I'd he'd waited, whoever was watching the replays would have told him there was no way the call could be overturned based on the available camera angles.

I was also very surprised with the call to go for a 52 yard field goal into the wind. Adam's leg isn't what it used to be and anything over 50 is questionable....add that he was kicking into the wind and that was a very low percentage kick. They were saved though by the ensuing miss by the Cincy kicker.

Edited by Jason

This is no longer a problem related to not having peyton. Colts are losing games because of mental mistakes, poor challenges, poor playing calling (two qb sneaks on the goal line with a mix and match oline), taking 5 and a half games to bench lacey, poor execution in all phases of the game by coaches and players. It is pro sports and someone has to be 's handle accountable at some point. It may not be solely Caldwell's fault but he is the head coach and the head coach is usually the one to end up taking the fall for losing.

I saw no poor play calling in that game, as a matter of a fact i seen some great play calling.... It was clyde that made painter change his pass protection late in the 2nd half causing a critical completion. Why do you guys think painter was looking to the sidelines under center, they were giving him keys.... And that goal line play calling was brilliant, it fooled the defense big time causing a TD, so that argument is a fail..... Im starting to think this isnt on the coaches at all, its the players... coaches have been changed when dungy left and nothing has changed... its not the coaches its the players, coaches can only put you in the position to make the plays but its up to you to do your job and the colts dont have the players to do that.

I saw no poor play calling in that game, as a matter of a fact i seen some great play calling.... It was clyde that made painter change his pass protection late in the 2nd half causing a critical completion. Why do you guys think painter was looking to the sidelines under center, they were giving him keys.... And that goal line play calling was brilliant, it fooled the defense big time causing a TD, so that argument is a fail..... Im starting to think this isnt on the coaches at all, its the players... coaches have been changed when dungy left and nothing has changed... its not the coaches its the players, coaches can only put you in the position to make the plays but its up to you to do your job and the colts dont have the players to do that.

the qb sneak was not brilliant for the qb the colts have.it did set up a nice play action but had clark not made an improbable catch of a bad throw then what? colts special teams and defensive coordinators are horrible. colts are last in the league in third down defense. that is on the coaches calling poor plays and/or having a poor scheme.

Clark made that play. Painter tried as hard as he could to throw it over Clark, but it just didn't happen. Clark channeled the spirit of Doctor J and wen't way up a ladder for it.

One handed.

But it's finally good to see Clark has showed up to 2011. His absence has been quite conspicuous thus far.

the qb sneak was not brilliant for the qb the colts have.it did set up a nice play action but had clark not made an improbable catch of a bad throw then what? colts special teams and defensive coordinators are horrible. colts are last in the league in third down defense. that is on the coaches calling poor plays and/or having a poor scheme.

This is not about clark catching the ball this is about the play call, which was a good one... and how is it not brilliant for the QB the colts have? he converted on the same play in the same drive didnt it?.... the colts do not have horrible coordinators they have bad players... the coaches arent the one covering the receivers... if one CB was to shine and show he can play dont you think he would have the freedom to do what he wants?.... the coaches do deserve SOME of the blame but its more on the players... the colts need QUALITY players on defense.

Its not always about bad playcalling or dumb time management or things like that. Sometimes it's just about attitude and this team does not have the right attitude. They haven't for quite awhile now. Sometimes you just have to make a change because the players don't believe in what they're doing anymore. I can't 100% say thats whats happening, but I don't believe that Polian will think this is an 0-6 talented team. He has to believe in the players he still has IMO and they have now lost at least 4 very winnable games because of mental breakdowns and stupid decisions. Somebody needs to pay the price but, it probably won't.

Edited by Balzer40

It has never been a problem related to not having Peyton. That's what I've been saying all along but everyone kept saying we were losing just because Peyton was out. This is a Polian problem. Polian built this team to NOT be able to win without Peyton. Heck in the playoffs they lose more often than not WITH Peyton. When you put together a team full of UDFAs and late rounders with a HOF QB and a terrible coach, what can you expect. This is a perfect storm of events to a defeated season. No team should be put together so badly that you can't win ONE game out of SIX played when your QB goes down. Time to blow this thing up and start rebuilding.

What about having poor players

I am in agreement that there is a coaching issue. The vanilla response it is always " We made mistakes and these are correctable.... we will be better next week." It's not happening. This team never shows any emotion or passion. They are a product of their coaching. In this time we need more of that...let them guess, play hunches and trends and not be a system player.....not working so far.

It has never been a problem related to not having Peyton. That's what I've been saying all along but everyone kept saying we were losing just because Peyton was out. This is a Polian problem. Polian built this team to NOT be able to win without Peyton. Heck in the playoffs they lose more often than not WITH Peyton. When you put together a team full of UDFAs and late rounders with a HOF QB and a terrible coach, what can you expect. This is a perfect storm of events to a defeated season. No team should be put together so badly that you can't win ONE game out of SIX played when your QB goes down. Time to blow this thing up and start rebuilding.

i agree no players or coaches job should be safe.

I am in agreement that there is a coaching issue. The vanilla response it is always " We made mistakes and these are correctable.... we will be better next week." It's not happening. This team never shows any emotion or passion. They are a product of their coaching. In this time we need more of that...let them guess, play hunches and trends and not be a system player.....not working so far.

indeed. losing doesnt get any emotion out of this organization. what is going on? schwartz just chased down harbaugh to exchange words with him after losing. not like i want caldwell to do that but i wont a spark of some kind. earlier this year rex ryan took a timeout to rip the ref on a bad call. colts need something in between those two coaches.

If nothing else, this should show everyone that Peyton has been the MVP of the league for the last 10 years. When he comes back, it's back to double-digit wins again. While our coaching staff is obviously not a top-tier unit, our front office bears a lot of blame as well. Poor drafting and the lack of pursuing free-agents to upgrade our secondary have been costly.

If nothing else, this should show everyone that Peyton has been the MVP of the league for the last 10 years. When he comes back, it's back to double-digit wins again. While our coaching staff is obviously not a top-tier unit, our front office bears a lot of blame as well. Poor drafting and the lack of pursuing free-agents to upgrade our secondary have been costly.

I agree. With our owner I think we are stuck though. Front office should not escape criticism as well.

it is bad cap management , we give our money to a few players and then have to sign lo picks and udfas

This is not about clark catching the ball this is about the play call, which was a good one... and how is it not brilliant for the QB the colts have? he converted on the same play in the same drive didnt it?.... the colts do not have horrible coordinators they have bad players... the coaches arent the one covering the receivers... if one CB was to shine and show he can play dont you think he would have the freedom to do what he wants?.... the coaches do deserve SOME of the blame but its more on the players... the colts need QUALITY players on defense.

hold on here before caldwell took over the colts D was top ten in pass defense easily, but dead last in rush defense. now teams dont have to worry about a pass defense cause all coyer does is tell the linebackers go back into the safety spots along with the safeties and let the opposing qb have 20 yards of space to pass into where the linebackers were. so how is that the players and not the play calling? i think these coaches are horrible and manning covered up alot of the bad coaching. lets look at what has happend over the past several years. caldwell takes over for dungy they go 14-2 and makes a superbowl appearance with the bad timeout calls, and the bad play calling costing us a superbowl win. then the following year we go 10-6 and the defense regresses to the point that its bad. bad calls and the once great pass D that we used to have dissapeared during the game against the jets in the playoffs. this year the pass defense cant keep my grandma (RIP love ya lots) from having her way at passing, the deer in the headlights we call a coach and a defensive coordinator that cant call a play to save his life to help us win a game has cost us easily 5 games this season. even if we had manning i really really doubt we would win those games cause manning would have to score over 35 points a game just to be in a winnable game. how is this not coaching?

hold on here before caldwell took over the colts D was top ten in pass defense easily, but dead last in rush defense. now teams dont have to worry about a pass defense cause all coyer does is tell the linebackers go back into the safety spots along with the safeties and let the opposing qb have 20 yards of space to pass into where the linebackers were. so how is that the players and not the play calling? i think these coaches are horrible and manning covered up alot of the bad coaching. lets look at what has happend over the past several years. caldwell takes over for dungy they go 14-2 and makes a superbowl appearance with the bad timeout calls, and the bad play calling costing us a superbowl win. then the following year we go 10-6 and the defense regresses to the point that its bad. bad calls and the once great pass D that we used to have dissapeared during the game against the jets in the playoffs. this year the pass defense cant keep my grandma (RIP love ya lots) from having her way at passing, the deer in the headlights we call a coach and a defensive coordinator that cant call a play to save his life to help us win a game has cost us easily 5 games this season. even if we had manning i really really doubt we would win those games cause manning would have to score over 35 points a game just to be in a winnable game. how is this not coaching?

What he said....ditto

Every game we lose I see people blaming different players. Whether it was this person getting a penalty, or this people dropping a pass, or this person this or that. CUT IT OUT! If we were to cut the players that screw up everytime we would not have a team. That is how much people are using the players as the cop out. I am grateful that we are able to compete and are not getting blown out but this blaming different players thing has got to stop. People don't want to admit whether we have a crappy team or we have a crappy coach or we have crappy management. WHICH ONE IS IT? BECAUSE WE ARE 0-6 AND WE CAN ONLY BLAME THE PLAYERS FOR SO LONG! I am getting sick of people saying we will bounce back and get better. Only thing I see getting better is Painter and the run game, everything else has stayed the same or has gotten worse. I'm sorry, I don't think Peyton will be even be able to win another SB unless something big happens.

And this is not a rant, this is a fan getting sick of the cop-out's and has seen the writing on the wall.

Edited by smittywerb

Anyone who thinks calling 3 qb sneaks in a period of a minute is good play calling needs to spend less time playing madden and more time watching real football. And even then the td pass that was caught by Clark was luck, and was almost thrown away. Come on this team has showed 0 improvement, and if anything has significantly regressed since Dungy left. I didnt think anyone could be a worse d coordinator then our previous one but Cowyer has sure showed me I was wrong. Caldwell looks lost on the field , and almost half asleep most of the time. He is emotionless and a poor leader, even in his press conferences they are poorly executed does he even believe the nonsense he spews? I just hope that this joke of a staff does not put Peyton back in especially since this season is a loss and risk him getting injured to save their jobs.

Lol great pass D? the only reason the colts didnt have to face teams that wanted to pass on them is because teams would run it down their throats which eats up the clock and keeps peyton on the field.. so why would they pass on the defense... THEY DIDNT NEED TO. The colts had ok secondary during dungy's time... why? because they had QUALITY PLAYERS... Marlin jackson, hayden, Bob sanders, all early round picks... now they are all gone... now the colts are left with scrubs with the exception of bethea and powers.. the rest of the secondary is just bad.

Anyone who thinks calling 3 qb sneaks in a period of a minute is good play calling needs to spend less time playing madden and more time watching real football. And even then the td pass that was caught by Clark was luck, and was almost thrown away. Come on this team has showed 0 improvement, and if anything has significantly regressed since Dungy left. I didnt think anyone could be a worse d coordinator then our previous one but Cowyer has sure showed me I was wrong. Caldwell looks lost on the field , and almost half asleep most of the time. He is emotionless and a poor leader, even in his press conferences they are poorly executed does he even believe the nonsense he spews? I just hope that this joke of a staff does not put Peyton back in especially since this season is a loss and risk him getting injured to save their jobs.

Dude what in the world are you talking about????? the 1st QB sneak was for a 1st down which was good... the second QB sneak was to see if it would work again... the second was basially a set up.. and the next play was a great play calling... there is nothing lucky about that play, dallas has made plenty of catches like that so i dont see any luck in that.

Lol great pass D? the only reason the colts didnt have to face teams that wanted to pass on them is because teams would run it down their throats which eats up the clock and keeps peyton on the field.. so why would they pass on the defense... THEY DIDNT NEED TO. The colts had ok secondary during dungy's time... why? because they had QUALITY PLAYERS... Marlin jackson, hayden, Bob sanders, all early round picks... now they are all gone... now the colts are left with scrubs with the exception of bethea and powers.. the rest of the secondary is just bad.

dont worry we will pick up another udfa cb who no one else wants but can start for us

Smitto, come on dude. The first sneak was fine. all good.

But going for 2 qb sneaks in a row on the goal line instead of handing it to a back is just bizarre. It wasn't to set anything up, it was because the coaches did not have faith in our line/wr's/ or rb to make the score. It is a cop out of an offensive strategy and we are lucky that Painter didn't get that ball stripped.

But yeah the third down call was good. I agree that the call wasn't lucky

(But PAINTER was lucky that Clark caught that ball because it was terribly thrown and probably should not have been caught by most tight ends. That part was lucky)

Is Luck becoming the word of our season, or what?

I disagree with the talk about how bad Painter's throw was to Clark. He threw it pretty much the only way he could to give Clark a chance. If he'd thrown it at the same trajectory but lower then there's a very high percentage the pass gets tipped and possibly intercepted. If he puts more air under it then the ball stays in the air longer and gives a DB time to recover and make a play. Painter threw it essentially the only way he could have to give Dallas a chance and yes, it did require an excellent catch by Clark but the throw made sure that no defender would get a hand on it.

hey we mixed it up we threw 5 different types of screens today. once again today pat mac had to save the day. if there has ever in the history of nfl football a coach should be fired it

is our special teams coach, it is laughable all kidding aside

Smitto, come on dude. The first sneak was fine. all good.

But going for 2 qb sneaks in a row on the goal line instead of handing it to a back is just bizarre. It wasn't to set anything up, it was because the coaches did not have faith in our line/wr's/ or rb to make the score. It is a cop out of an offensive strategy and we are lucky that Painter didn't get that ball stripped.

But yeah the third down call was good. I agree that the call wasn't lucky

(But PAINTER was lucky that Clark caught that ball because it was terribly thrown and probably should not have been caught by most tight ends. That part was lucky)

Is Luck becoming the word of our season, or what?

Ok maybe saying that the plan was to run the two QB sneaks so they could pull off the play action but we dont know lol... the colts coaching staff have more holes than they have patches for there's no doubt about that one.