Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anyone Else Seeing The Trade Rumors Really Heat Up?

WSO

There are a lot of contracts due after this season. That could be expensive for us.

We will have higher picks than usual, which will result in more expensive rookie signings.

In fairy tale land, all players will pull a Manning and take less than their perceived market value to stay a Colt, but this is a business. They have to live for 50 years without ever getting paid again, and most of them have families.

Wayne and Mathis have to do what's best for Wayne and Mathis. The Colts have to do what permits them to acquire and keep talent without breaking the bank.

It would break my heart to see either go, but that doesn't mean I am close-minded to the proposition. A good trade, or series of trades, could result from these guys. As far as DE is concerned, would anyone be really opposed to getting a shot at drafting Quinton Coples, for example? Dwight Freeney will finish his career as a Colt, but getting the opportunity to grow bigger, stronger, and younger at the DE position, without losing speed, would be foolish to pass up. Contrary to common thought, Hughes seems to be progressing as well, and we may continue to find ways to move him around the defense. For these reasons (and others noted by several posters), I would not be totally opposed to parting with Mathis.

Would Garcon, Collie, and [insert new rookie stud WR] be a bad crew for Manning? If the offensive line continues to improve with the return of Castonzo (hopefully soon) and Ijalana (next year); as well as drafting an interior lineman, Manning's life may get easier. Not to mention the marginally better running game with Carter. The great thing about rookie WR's taken high in the draft: they are often predictable. It's one of the few "sure things" in terms of productive projection; far more certain than say, an over-hyped QB who will sit on the bench for 4 seasons contributing nothing. For these reasons (and others noted by several posters), I would not be totally opposed to parting with Wayne.

If we got decent value, depth, and of course, draft picks, we could really make a nice transition from the old guard, through Manning's final championship push, and into the next era.

I don't get this thought at all. It makes all the sense in the world to trade them while they ARE producing. A team is not going to wait to trade a player when they are not producing because they wouldn't get anything in return. If the Colts know they are not going to be able to afford them, then you make the move now, not wait till they leave and get nothing.

IMO if they were to trade one of the two it would be maths, as his contract would allow him to fit with most teams salary cap, not to mention that premier pass rushes don't just go on the market everyday. If mathis was seriously dangled out there on the trade market, we could probably get as much as a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him.

Do i want to see either of them go, no, but I dont think both of them will be resigned, so why not in a lost season, get suitable compensation while we still can.

There are a lot of contracts due after this season. That could be expensive for us.

We will have higher picks than usual, which will result in more expensive rookie signings.

In fairy tale land, all players will pull a Manning and take less than their perceived market value to stay a Colt, but this is a business. They have to live for 50 years without ever getting paid again, and most of them have families.

Wayne and Mathis have to do what's best for Wayne and Mathis. The Colts have to do what permits them to acquire and keep talent without breaking the bank.

It would break my heart to see either go, but that doesn't mean I am close-minded to the proposition. A good trade, or series of trades, could result from these guys. As far as DE is concerned, would anyone be really opposed to getting a shot at drafting Quinton Coples, for example? Dwight Freeney will finish his career as a Colt, but getting the opportunity to grow bigger, stronger, and younger at the DE position, without losing speed, would be foolish to pass up. Contrary to common thought, Hughes seems to be progressing as well, and we may continue to find ways to move him around the defense. For these reasons (and others noted by several posters), I would not be totally opposed to parting with Mathis.

Would Garcon, Collie, and [insert new rookie stud WR] be a bad crew for Manning? If the offensive line continues to improve with the return of Castonzo (hopefully soon) and Ijalana (next year); as well as drafting an interior lineman, Manning's life may get easier. Not to mention the marginally better running game with Carter. The great thing about rookie WR's taken high in the draft: they are often predictable. It's one of the few "sure things" in terms of productive projection; far more certain than say, an over-hyped QB who will sit on the bench for 4 seasons contributing nothing. For these reasons (and others noted by several posters), I would not be totally opposed to parting with Wayne.

If we got decent value, depth, and of course, draft picks, we could really make a nice transition from the old guard, through Manning's final championship push, and into the next era.

One thing is for sure.... if we draft Coples in the #3 to #5 range, he'll cost considerably less under the rookie cap than what Mathis is probably looking for.

And the rookie cap will actually relieve us of what used to be some pretty high pricetags. Who'd have thought we'd get our starting LT for 8 mil over 4 years?

On the WR issue and Reggie Wayne possibly being shopped? That's fine if they have a degree of certainty as to Peyton's return and his prospects of finishing out the contract, because he's proven that he can elevate the production of just about any WR he plays with.

I hate losing either of these guys but this is all part of what may very well be a retool/rebuild of the Colts.... including at QB.

We just don't know yet.

I don't get this thought at all. It makes all the sense in the world to trade them while they ARE producing. A team is not going to wait to trade a player when they are not producing because they wouldn't get anything in return. If the Colts know they are not going to be able to afford them, then you make the move now, not wait till they leave and get nothing.

The colts need Mathis and wayne... idk any receiver on the colts that comes close to the skills wayne has, nor how good he can run his routes.... Im not against a trade but it doesnt make sense for chris polian to say they are gonna sign both of them then hear rumors that they are on the trading block.... maybe talks broke down or something.

I don't want to see either guy go, with that said, Mathis has more in the tank from what I've seen. We can't not get any value for them if they walk. It would be easier to get Wayne's replacement, and just because Irsay says it's not going to happen really means squat.

The colts need Mathis and wayne... idk any receiver on the colts that comes close to the skills wayne has, nor how good he can run his routes.... Im not against a trade but it doesnt make sense for chris polian to say they are gonna sign both of them then hear rumors that they are on the trading block.... maybe talks broke down or something.

I agree there is no one on the colts roster to replace wayne, and it would leave a huge hole going into next year. I thinkChris Polian meant they were going to try to sign both of them, but I think that is going to be very difficult unless they are willing to take less money to stay in blue.

I agree there is no one on the colts roster to replace wayne, and it would leave a huge hole going into next year. I thinkChris Polian meant they were going to try to sign both of them, but I think that is going to be very difficult unless they are willing to take less money to stay in blue.

Yea i think it will be difficult, the colts are already over the cap. It probably will be a 3yr extension for wayne with alot of clauses. Hopefully they ramp up Hughes playing time and see what he can do, i liked how they had both mathis and Hughes on the field coming on the same side.

Yea i think it will be difficult, the colts are already over the cap. It probably will be a 3yr extension for wayne with alot of clauses. Hopefully they ramp up Hughes playing time and see what he can do, i liked how they had both mathis and Hughes on the field coming on the same side.

Imo Hughes is the main reason why mathis won't be back next year, they invested a first round pick in the guy and if Mathis were resigned, Hughes would continue to sit every week, and prove that the colts do not believe in Hughes. As much ad the volts say they believe in Hughes still, only strengthens my belief that Mathis will be gone.

I will definitely miss the combo of frathis, but all good things come to an end I guess.

And do to the posting limit for new forum member, that will be my last post until 12:53 A.M.

Imo Hughes is the main reason why mathis won't be back next year, they invested a first round pick in the guy and if Mathis were resigned, Hughes would continue to sit every week, and prove that the colts do not believe in Hughes. As much ad the volts say they believe in Hughes still, only strengthens my belief that Mathis will be gone.

I will definitely miss the combo of frathis, but all good things come to an end I guess.

And do to the posting limit for new forum member, that will be my last post until 12:53 A.M.

Well i know hughes is better at the run than mathis, he's like a faster and much smaller version of anderson.. but the way i see it the colts will try to resign mathis but if the price is too much it wont happen and if thats the case, Hughes needs to become a really good player quick or else that will put alot of pressure on freeney.

Were you able to look at Hughes 7 career tackles and discover he was better than Mathis? Get out of here with that poo.

Its called looking at him play, i dont need to look at his stats... Jerry is much better at the run than mathis and you can take that how ever you want it mate.

Well i know hughes is better at the run than mathis, he's like a faster and much smaller version of anderson.. but the way i see it the colts will try to resign mathis but if the price is too much it wont happen and if thats the case, Hughes needs to become a really good player quick or else that will put alot of pressure on freeney.

I agree, if mathis is willing to take a home town discount, he will be back in a heartbeat. Saying that, premier pass rushers are a rarity, and one as good as Mathis is going to be able to command 6-8 million per year, if not more, and I just can't see the colts shelling out that kind of dough for mathis when they have Hughes waiting.

Hughes needs to show why he was a first round pick, imo he has it in him, he just needs the playing time.

I agree, if mathis is willing to take a home town discount, he will be back in a heartbeat. Saying that, premier pass rushers are a rarity, and one as good as Mathis is going to be able to command 6-8 million per year, if not more, and I just can't see the colts shelling out that kind of dough for mathis when they have Hughes waiting.

Hughes needs to show why he was a first round pick, imo he has it in him, he just needs the playing time.

The one thing i have a problem with is Hughes is not mathis or freeney... he's not as quick coming off the snap as either and he doesnt have a signature move... the guy is basically a LB with his hands on the ground... Hopefully he will develop into a good player though.

Its called looking at him play, i dont need to look at his stats... Jerry is much better at the run than mathis and you can take that how ever you want it mate.

Watching him play?! He's been in a total of 6 games his entire career. 1 of which he didn't record a tackle in. So in 5 games of 'watching him play' you were able to discover he is better at the run than Mathis? Wow, get on a plane and start interviewing for head scouting positions mate because you must be the golden child.

Or it could be your just grasping at straws in order to feel better about losing a stud DE by putting Hughes on an imaginary pedestal. I'd go with that rather than 'Hughes is better than Mathis at the run, I know because I watch' because that is a pile of poo.

Edited by IndyTrav

Watching him play?! He's been in a total of 6 games his entire career. 1 of which he didn't record a tackle in. So in 5 games of 'watching him play' you were able to discover he is better at the run than Mathis? Wow, get on a plane and start interviewing for head scouting positions mate because you must be the golden child.

Or it could be your just grasping at straws in order to feel better about losing a stud DE by putting Hughes on an imaginary pedestal. I'd go with that rather than 'Hughes is better than Mathis at the run, I know because I watch' because that is a pile of poo.

Go somewhere else wit ya smug comments mate cuz it aint needed here, i meant at TCU... and i can only imagine he's much stronger than what he was in college... the guy is 6'3 257.. he may have lost some weight or probably gained some who knows but i know he's much better at the run than mathis.... like i said take that how you want it.

If they aren't going to resign these guys, they should be traded.

I think they'll bring Reggie back so Manning has him to throw to next season, but I doubt they resign Mathis. If that's the case, why not get something for him?? They can lose with or without him and Hughes needs the reps to see if he's even worth keeping around next season too.

I do expect Wayne to be back next year. I really think he bleeds Blue, loves our fans, and most importantly, is Peyton's #1 target. However, if he is traded, there are good options to replace him. Obviously, drafting one of the top WRs coming out, like: Blackmon, Jeffery, Floyd, Fuller, Broyles, and Jones. Also, there are some very good Free Agents coming up, including: Bowe, Colston, Meachum, Manningham, Stevie Johnson, DeSean Jackson, and Mike Wallace (RFA). So, all is not lost if we're able to secure one of these guys and keep Garcon. We actually get younger, and likely faster. I do love Reggie Wayne though, so I would be sad to see him go.

Mathis, on the other hand, will very possibly be on another team next year. The NFL will throw crazy money at elite pass-rushers, and Mathis is going to be a hot ticket. One site has Mathis listed as the 5th best upcoming FA, and #1 defensive player. I think Mathis will cash in on that and unfortunately wear someone else's uniform. There are also ways to replace Mathis, though. Obviously, Hughes is on the roster, and a trade now allows us to see what Hughes can do playing opposite of Freeney full-time. After 10 games, we'd likely know whether or not we need to look at DEs in the draft, like Coples, Jenkins, or Paige-Moss. There are a few in Free Agency, led by Mario Williams, but I would expect him to get franchised if they don't reach a deal, and if the Colts won't pay Mathis, they won't pay someone else.

After this year, we have Wayne, Mathis, Gonzo, Garcon, and Diem as free agents. Gonzo and Diem will likely be gone as Gonzo has been worthless and Diem is old and will be replaced by Ijalana. Garcon is 50/50 IMO. Some team might watch his highlight reel and over-pay him. If so, good for him, but I would like to see us keep him and hope he continues improving with Peyton back at the helm. And I think the team will have to choose between Wayne and Mathis, and it's going to suck either way.

Edited by pizza guy

Mathis is going to be resigned and not at a discount. He is worth every penny and Indy needs all hands on deck on the D end next season.

The player I would be looking to trade is Clark, because at his number I don't see indy bringing him back with the glaring needs in the D backfield.

I do expect Wayne to be back next year. I really think he bleeds Blue, loves our fans, and most importantly, is Peyton's #1 target. However, if he is traded, there are good options to replace him. Obviously, drafting one of the top WRs coming out, like: Blackmon, Jeffery, Floyd, Fuller, Broyles, and Jones. Also, there are some very good Free Agents coming up, including: Bowe, Colston, Meachum, Manningham, Stevie Johnson, DeSean Jackson, and Mike Wallace (RFA). So, all is not lost if we're able to secure one of these guys and keep Garcon. We actually get younger, and likely faster. I do love Reggie Wayne though, so I would be sad to see him go.

Mathis, on the other hand, will very possibly be on another team next year. The NFL will throw crazy money at elite pass-rushers, and Mathis is going to be a hot ticket. One site has Mathis listed as the 5th best upcoming FA, and #1 defensive player. I think Mathis will cash in on that and unfortunately wear someone else's uniform. There are also ways to replace Mathis, though. Obviously, Hughes is on the roster, and a trade now allows us to see what Hughes can do playing opposite of Freeney full-time. After 10 games, we'd likely know whether or not we need to look at DEs in the draft, like Coples, Jenkins, or Paige-Moss. There are a few in Free Agency, led by Mario Williams, but I would expect him to get franchised if they don't reach a deal, and if the Colts won't pay Mathis, they won't pay someone else.

After this year, we have Wayne, Mathis, Gonzo, Garcon, and Diem as free agents. Gonzo and Diem will likely be gone as Gonzo has been worthless and Diem is old and will be replaced by Ijalana. Garcon is 50/50 IMO. Some team might watch his highlight reel and over-pay him. If so, good for him, but I would like to see us keep him and hope he continues improving with Peyton back at the helm. And I think the team will have to choose between Wayne and Mathis, and it's going to suck either way.

Who fills the need areas? Mathis does and he won't go anywhere.

Manning make Blair White and Tamme names last season. He will do it withe others...

Although I think Garcon will go nowhere, and he has All Pro potential.

I love both Wayne and Mathis but it might be a good idea to trade at least 1 of them if not both of them. Reggie has already stated that he want's to get paid and paying a reciever that about to turn 33 is a very dangerous thing to do. He's not as explosive as he use to be and is just a possesion reciever now. I would most likely want to keep Mathis if he's at the right price. Mathis is a really good fit with Freeney but when Freeneys out of the game Mathis dissapears. If these guys are looking for a big pay day then trade them but if they want to come back at a reasonable price then i would love to have them back. It's still unfortunate for Mathis and Wayne since they were seriously under paid in their last contract, so i wouldn't blame them for going for the money.

I love both Wayne and Mathis but it might be a good idea to trade at least 1 of them if not both of them. Reggie has already stated that he want's to get paid and paying a reciever that about to turn 33 is a very dangerous thing to do. He's not as explosive as he use to be and is just a possesion reciever now. I would most likely want to keep Mathis if he's at the right price. Mathis is a really good fit with Freeney but when Freeneys out of the game Mathis dissapears. If these guys are looking for a big pay day then trade them but if they want to come back at a reasonable price then i would love to have them back. It's still unfortunate for Mathis and Wayne since they were seriously under paid in their last contract, so i wouldn't blame them for going for the money.

I am not going for the reasonable price thing here... "WHO CAN HELP THE TEAM THE MOST?"

And it is Mathis .... Reg has been a trooper but if Blair White was given the sane targets,,, well,,,

Bottom line... just suck.

Pick a STUD DL, or OL player ... unless of course... never mind. :hide:

This team is suffering from Peyton withdrawal. Get over it and I love the Colt's chances next season to Rock and Roll.

Who fills the need areas? Mathis does and he won't go anywhere.

Manning make Blair White and Tamme names last season. He will do it withe others...

Although I think Garcon will go nowhere, and he has All Pro potential.

I may not be understanding your point, but why do you ask who fills the need areas when my post listed 5 guys who could fill in either Reggie or Robert's place? The other need areas, specifically DB and OL can and should be addressed in the second round of the draft because that's where the best value picks will be for those positions.

The reason I think Reggie is more likely to be re-signed is that Polian has always re-signed offense before defense during the Manning years. The focus has been clearly on offense, and I don't see it magically changing now. Peyton and Reggie may be getting old, but when #18 returns, he and Wayne will still have their timing and communication, and we won't be able to acclimate a rookie to that quickly enough.

Eagles open to shopping cornerback Samuel

http://www.nfl.com/n..._headline_stack

Straight up trade for Mathis, and draft Quinton Coples for our 4-3, and re-sign key free agents next year (Garcon should be first since we have no one else that can stretch Ds on the outside, maybe Gonzo who is hurt all the time :(, hopefully for not a pretty penny), and do an incentive laden contract for Wayne. I'd be fine with that :). We have to explore all options, which is what our front office will do, IMO. It also moves Powers to #2 CB and Lacey & others to nickel, where they should be. Plus, it gives us wiggle room during draft day on the CB front.

Edited by chad72