Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mario Harvey

Insert Colts Pun Here

Harvey's prolonged appearance last night was a somewhat bittersweet experience for me. Obviously he was only on the field because of injuries which is never a good thing, however, I was pleased to see him get some game time with the defence. 

Harvey has been a consistent performer on special teams this season, constantly beating coverage, making tackles and generally being one of the first men to the ball or the ball carrier. I thought he was deserving of a trial at ILB.

His actual performance was neither encouraging nor disappointing. He made a few good plays, tackling Matthews(?) for a loss but made an equal number of bad plays, getting caught out of position on a Woodhead(?) rush along with Robert Mathis.

What did everyone else make of his performance?

Note: Matthews and Woodhead were in and out of the backfield so often that I can't recall for certain which one was in on the particular plays that I'm referring to, hence the parenthesized question marks. 

Harvey looks like a defensive lineman. He just looks so sloppy and slow. And then Pat Angerer really isn't a better option. Last night showed that Freeman consistently being the leading tackler (him & Landry) is no fluke. He's our best LB hands down. Have to get him a partner in crime soon.

Harvey looks like a defensive lineman. He just looks so sloppy and slow. And then Pat Angerer really isn't a better option. Last night showed that Freeman consistently being the leading tackler (him & Landry) is no fluke. He's our best LB hands down. Have to get him a partner in crime soon.

IMO we will be looking for an upgrade next to Freeman in the offseason.

Hard to argue with any of that really.

Angerer is the weakest link right now at LB; his 2011 season was a fluke, and a top tackler for the worst team in the league (because the tackles have to fall to somebody).

No pass cov, no run cov, gets dragged constantly in tackles, no pass-rushing ability either. Shepherd at least has size at 6'2'' and 256 lbs.

I have the same response to playing Harvey at MLB covering Gates/Woodhead as I do putting Donald Brown in a situation where he was to pass block; You know he can't do it, so it's not his fault he's in there not doing it. That goes on the coaches.

Until Trent Richardson learns the assignments and all, Donald Brown is our best pass blocking RB at the moment

Until Trent Richardson learns the assignments and all, Donald Brown is our best pass blocking RB at the moment

I was thinking more along the lines of the feedback from the Miami game when we had Bradshaw, but I'd concede your point (though not as a compliment to Brown's blocking).