Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Poor clock management end of the first half

antipatriot

On the last drive at the end of the before halftime on third down we throw to a blanketed DHB.  We really should have been trying to get the first down so we could run out the half.  We had lots of time to score but instead we threw and left a lot of time on the clock for the Seahawks I was very worried that was going to come back to haunt us later in the game.  Thoughts?

All that being said we are a good football team, although we have some issues the sky is the limit for us.

GO COLTS

I realize I may be alone in this because there are many who fancy themselves part of the team, but this we and us stuff when talking about the Colts is just funny to me.  "We" handled the clork poorly - really?  How exactly did you have a hand in that?

As to the point of the thread - do you just need something to complain about?

I realize I may be alone in this because there are many who fancy themselves part of the team, but this we and us stuff when talking about the Colts is just funny to me. "We" handled the clork poorly - really? How exactly did you have a hand in that?

We are the 12th man.... Clearly we matter.

I realize I may be alone in this because there are many who fancy themselves part of the team, but this we and us stuff when talking about the Colts is just funny to me.  "We" handled the clork poorly - really?  How exactly did you have a hand in that?

We as fans may not play but we do feel a strong attachment to our team of choice and we feel like a part of something that is what it is to be a fan.  We have license to say things like "we" and "us".  I dont just need to complain about something I thought it was a legit point and I did say that I think the sky is the limit for this team.

Seems to me you would rather bash peoples comments than to talk football.  I have been a Colts fan since I can remember and I joined the forum to be a part of our collective fan base. 

If you dont have anything to say about football and would rather base people why dont you just hangout on facebook and enjoy yourself.

To all others thanks for you comments.

I agree, I thought Luck should have gone for the first down instead of trying to push it to DHB.  Only thing I can figure is maybe Luck thought he saw PI and threw to DHB to try to draw attention to it.  That or he thought no one else was open so went with what he thought was the best option.  Hard to say for sure exactly what happened but I wasn't crazy about that throw.

Guest TeamLoloJones

We pay for tickets to go see games, we buy merchandise, and we watch the games on T.V. which adds to the NFL revenue.  That's why we say we and us.  Without fans, there is no team.

We pay for tickets to go see games, we buy merchandise, and we watch the games on T.V. which adds to the NFL revenue.  That's why we say we and us.  Without fans, there is no team.

I do all that stuff - season tix, Colts merchandise, go to road games - and yet somehow I manage to stay away from us or we because I don't play, am not in meetings and have no voice inside the Colts complex. 

Look - I just find that whole thing funny. Nothing more.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I do all that stuff - season tix, Colts merchandise, go to road games - and yet somehow I manage to stay away from us or we because I don't play, am not in meetings and have no voice inside the Colts complex. 

Every team's fans do it...but honestly when we have an owner that pays more attention to the fans than any other owner in any sport...then I feel us Colts fans have even more reason to use the us and we.

On the last drive at the end of the before halftime on third down we throw to a blanketed DHB.  We really should have been trying to get the first down so we could run out the half.  We had lots of time to score but instead we threw and left a lot of time on the clock for the Seahawks I was very worried that was going to come back to haunt us later in the game.  Thoughts?

All that being said we are a good football team, although we have some issues the sky is the limit for us.

GO COLTS

Well it was 3rd and 4 which is typically a passing situation in today's NFL.  I can see the thought about running the ball but Seattle still had two TOs and picking up 4yards running is no more probable than passing.  So if the Colts run and don't get it Seattle calls a TO, if they pass and it's incomplete the clock stops, so I have no problem with the call.  Pick up the first down and then you are in a position to try and score a TD or at least kick a FG as time expires in the half. 

I really can't think of a way they could have played it any better, time-wise.

You are not alone but we are definitely in the minority.  And I think the league and teams encourage it because a lot of people will not pay big bucks to support them but a lot will pay big bucks for "our team".

Every team's fans do it...but honestly when we have an owner that pays more attention to the fans than any other owner in any sport...then I feel us Colts fans have even more reason to use the us and we.

I agree with your comment for sure. Irsay and the Colts want their fan base to feel like it's us and we. There is hardly anything said from all the Colts that don't include a mention of the fans. With the fan backing and the noise the fans made against the Seahawks we can and do make a difference. 

Well it was 3rd and 4 which is typically a passing situation in today's NFL.  I can see the thought about running the ball but Seattle still had two TOs and picking up 4yards running is no more probable than passing.  So if the Colts run and don't get it Seattle calls a TO, if they pass and it's incomplete the clock stops, so I have no problem with the call.  Pick up the first down and then you are in a position to try and score a TD or at least kick a FG as time expires in the half. 

I think you may have misunderstood the OP.  I don't think OP was saying the Colts should have run on 3rd and 4, but rather that they should have just focused on picking up the 4 yards and a first down instead of forcing the deep pass to DHB (who was covered very well on that play).  I agree with that and didn't care for the forced deep ball.  However, I didn't rewatch that play to see if anyone else was open or what else was going on so there are a lot of things that could have happened that would explain why Luck went deep instead of just trying to get the first down.  

I see you chose an avatar. Good job. Also, I assume that means things are looking positive for the little one. I hope so.

And yet they are introduced as, "Your Indianapolis Colts." The ownership is encouraging fans to participate as if they are part of the team. 

There is nothing wrong with saying "us" and "we" in reference to this team that we all love.

And yet they are introduced as, "Your Indianapolis Colts." The ownership is encouraging fans to participate as if they are part of the team. 

There is nothing wrong with saying "us" and "we" in reference to this team that we all love.

I get it - really do but I just find it funny that the fat guy at the office water cooler talking about that great goal line stand that "we" made yesterday is comical.  Your fat butt was on the couch at home and did not have to take on the double team from the opposition's o'line.

I wasnt saying they should have run the ball, the pass went to a blanketed DHB I think there could have been a different play to pickup the yards, like a bubble screen or a designed run for Luck.  I just thought that particular situation could have been a little better played.  Alas we still won the game and if the pass had been completed I would have been the first to say how great it was.

I wasnt saying they should have run the ball, the pass went to a blanketed DHB I think there could have been a different play to pickup the yards, like a bubble screen or a designed run for Luck.  I just thought that particular situation could have been a little better played.  Alas we still won the game and if the pass had been completed I would have been the first to say how great it was.

Yeah, someone else pointed that out as well.  My fault for misunderstanding.  And it's a good point, although who knows what he saw, perhaps he thought he'd get a PI penalty by throwing it down there, or he saw a LB that he thought would jump the route if he threw a shorter distance.

Congratulations man.  A little girl will change your life.

Thank you buddy.  She is an absolute blessing and has me totally wrapped around her finger.  It has been a long summer with some health issues for her but she is home now and getting better all the time.