Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What is Peyton Manning's regular season record as a QB?

oldunclemark

I don't like that QBs have records.

I mean..nobody asks what's Adrian Peterson's record as a starting HB..

..or Patrick Willis record as a defensive captain and signal caller...

.....but if we're always going there..in reference to the playoffs

what's the WHOLE story..?

In games he has started...what Is Peyton Manning's regular season won loss record?

159-70

You 'da man Dustin..!!

89 games over .500

Only Brady is higher...?

Yep. Brady is 100 games over .500 at 140-40.

Worth noting that Peyton started out 31-32. 128-38 since - and how many "give aways" at the end of seasons while the Pats in comparison were piling it on - or still trying to qualify for the playoffs?

..sure you're right because he was what 3-13 as rookie..?

...and the famous Jets game where we were 13-0 and pulled the starters with the lead?

That counts as a Manning loss, doesn't it?

Now he's 18-3 in Denver...

It would only take 5 "throw a ways" for him to be on a 100 game over run of his own - and I believe that there were. It was a LOT more than that Jet game - such as the Buffalo game that followed, and a final game or so in other years. Peyton never missed a start until 2011.

Note that this means he got credit for one game that I'd say was essentially a Sorgi win to be fair.

I forgot that..the game they played the starts one series in the snow at Buffalo and then lost big..

That's a Manning loss....too....

QB won-loss records are more shaky than Matt Schaub's confidence

And Denver another year, and Seattle another year, etc etc. It was a constant theme for YEARS.

Frankly that's why I've always been baffled by the sentiment of so many fans after the Jets game. They acted as if they had been betrayed, insulted, personally offended, humiliated in a way that could never be forgiven. Huh? In a perfect world I would have enjoyed seeing them go for it also, but considering that they did the same thing repeatedly it was hardly a surprise (or a betrayal, or an insult, or humiliating, or unforgivable). It was business as usual - with their intentions even announced ahead of time to anyone who was bothering to pay attention rather than scramble to overpay for seats to a non-event.

And Denver another year, and Seattle another year, etc etc. It was a constant theme for YEARS.

Frankly that's why I've always been baffled by the sentiment of so many fans after the Jets game. They acted as if they had been betrayed, insulted, personally offended, humiliated in a way that could never be forgiven. Huh? In a perfect world I would have enjoyed seeing them go for it also, but considering that they did the same thing repeatedly it was hardly a surprise (or a betrayal, or an insult, or humiliating, or unforgivable). It was business as usual - with their intentions even announced ahead of time to anyone who was bothering to pay attention rather than scramble to overpay for seats to a non-event.

But MAC....folks like me wanted 16-0...somebody wins the Super Bowl every year.....

IT will be interesting to see if NOLA or Denver gets to 13-0 this year what do they do

..and ...there was a blizzard that day....some folks drove 200 miles in the snow and then we pull the starters

making it essentially an exhibition game

....after not saying we would (and Jimmy C was asked many time that week)all week

...they misled the fans..and all that needed to be said was..Yes, we're going to pull our starters to keep them uninjured

Before the Buffalo game.....they SAID they would only play the top guys a series or two...

This is riding old dead horses, I know....but they werent honest..and afterward Polian bad mouthed the fans..if you recall

The people who pay cash money cant be used as whipping boys when people don't agree with the genius

But MAC....folks like me wanted 16-0...somebody wins the Super Bowl every year.....

IT will be interesting to see if NOLA or Denver gets to 13-0 this year what do they do

..and ...there was a blizzard that day....some folks drove 200 miles in the snow and then we pull the starters

making it essentially an exhibition game

....after not saying we would (and Jimmy C was asked many time that week)all week

...they misled the fans..and all that needed to be said was..Yes, we're going to pull our starters to keep them uninjured

Before the Buffalo game.....they SAID they would only play the top guys a series or two...

This is riding old dead horses, I know....but they werent honest..and afterward Polian bad mouthed the fans..if you recall

The people who pay cash money cant be used as whipping boys when people don't agree with the genius

No, I didn't want this to start again either. Hopefully no one else will respond.

I would have loved to see them go undefeated, but I was prepared to accept whatever the FO thought was in the best interests of the team. SBs are everything - an undefeated season is just another record.

Do you respect the Patriots for 2007? I mock them myself - particularly with their "perfect season" win coming against the team they lost the SB to. It's really hard to beat a good team twice in a matter of weeks. Perhaps if the Patriots hadn't pulled out all the stops in game one, they would have won game two. Are you telling me that you (or any Patriots fan) wouldn't make that trade off?

More to the point, if you don't need to win a game than it IS an exhibition game - regardless of any efforts to pump it up into something more. Football is a unique sport. I don't believe that you can replicate the game-day "we have to win" intense attitude and self-sacrifice in a game that you don't actually have to win.

I'm not familiar with what Irsay did or didn't do, so maybe people have a legitimate reason to be angry specifically with him - but they detest Polian for this despite his making his intentions clear more than a week ahead of time. The only thing that surprised me about the Jets game was that the starters came out for the second half. NEVER saw that coming. I have no knowledge of him "bad mouthing" the fans. I have a feeling that that's just angry people not appreciating him getting defensive about the condemnation. I would have gotten defensive myself.

Plus we already KNEW by the Jets game that there was a horrific weather forecast for Buffalo. Win the Jets game and they just put themselves in a position of having to risk everyone's health in the final game. Plus they were jockeying with the Jets. They whipped them in the playoffs because they didn't game plan for them normally in the final game - wondering if they might meet again. They also didn't even dress a lot of people to begin with - particularly on defense. It just wasn't a normal game at any point.

In short - I maintain that the anger shouldn't come from any feeling of "betrayal", just perhaps from those who hated them sitting players EVERY year because they thought it contributed to the teams rust in the playoffs.  I could see that both ways.  It's hard not to wonder if they would have won more SBs if they'd been more aggressive.

Worth noting that Peyton started out 31-32. 128-38 since - and how many "give aways" at the end of seasons while the Pats in comparison were piling it on - or still trying to qualify for the playoffs?

lol. More excuses I see. ;)  Care for me to post Brady's record his first 60 games?

Pats have won their division 10 times so they were never trying to qualify but they were going for the bye often times or home field advantage throughout.

lol. More excuses I see. ;)  Care for me to post Brady's record his first 60 games?

Pats have won their division 10 times so they were never trying to qualify but they were going for the bye often times or home field advantage throughout.

What happened Brady on Sunday? Maybe the Pats should have kept Tebow around after all. 

just doing a rough check but it looks like the colts were 3-5 in games in which they had their seeding locked up and pats were 3-2 in such games . . .  both teams won three with the colts losing 5 to pats 2 . . . both QBs started and were the QBs of record . . . not included is the game Brady went down in 2008 and got credit for the win . . . also I have from memory the colts having the 09 season locked up after game 13 and the pats the same in 07 . . . also, I did not include the last game of the 03 season as I do not recall if we had it locked over KC going into week 17 . . .

What happened Brady on Sunday? Maybe the Pats should have kept Tebow around after all. 

maybe should have, Brady looked really really bad . . . it was one of our worst offensive production in the Brady era . . . terrible just terrible . . . hopefully it will be just one game, but time will tell . . .  

Teeebow! lol.

Brady had a worst loss back in 2003. 31-0 to the Bills of all teams. He played terrible and his D played even worse in a beat down. Of course the Pats went on to win their last 15 games of the season en route to back-to-back Super Bowls.

Yet Brady wasn't drafted to a franchise who were losers since the mid 70s.

Yet Brady wasn't drafted to a franchise who were losers since the mid 70s.

lol. Patriots had one of the worst stretches in league history from the late 80's to mid 90's. Brady also took over a team that was 5-13 in its last 18 games. Once he stepped in they went 14-3 and were champions.

lol. Patriots had one of the worst stretches in league history from the late 80's to mid 90's. Brady also took over a team that was 5-13 in its last 18 games. Once he stepped in they went 14-3 and were champions.

If you honestly think you can argue the Patriots were worse off than the Colts then idk what to say.

Why do people argue this stuff over and over. I'm a huge Peyton fan but to try to justify his record being better is just dumb. His record is his record. You guys sound like all the hunters and fisherman who ALMOST shot that 12pt buck or almost caught that 7lb bass. I don't get the trying to justify my guy is better...they both are great. You can't have a conversation about one without the other. When it comes to winning it is undeniable Tom is the king of that...and for most things Peyton is king of stats. Neithers accomplisments should be deminished or need embelished because of the other...they stand on their own. To justify Peyton as one of the greatest ever you don't have to discount his post-season records...and for Tom you don't need to discount his defenses or spygate.  

If you honestly think you can argue the Patriots were worse off than the Colts then idk what to say.

Are you really comparing the two franchises? Before Brady the Pats never won anything. The Colts had Unitas who many argue is the best to have ever played the game.

Once the cap/FA came in the mid-90's past histories became irrelevant as teams turned over their rosters every 3-4 years. The Patriot team that went to the SB in 1996 was not the team Brady inherited in 2001. Pete Carroll destroyed everything Parcells had built and Bill started over with Brady. Like I said, the team was 5-13 when Brady took over and then he went 14-3 delivering the franchise its first ring and then two more within the next three years. But don't make my word for it, here is the editorial write-up from Michael Holly's book "Patriot Reign" which chronicled the Patriots championships years:

"When Bill Belichick arrived in New England, the Patriots were a laughingstock, an organization with a losing record and a roster of overpaid, underperforming players. So how did a head coach with a questionable record transform this team, garner three Lombardi trophies in four years, and -- with the Pats' 2005 Super Bowl win over the Philadelphia Eagles -- cement the team's place as an NFL dynasty?"

http://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Reign-ebook/dp/B000FC2RT0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381174851&sr=8-1&keywords=patriot+reign

I said from the mid 70s for a reason. Without a doubt the Colts are more storied, and historic franchise compared to the Patriots.

All I said was the Patriots weren't losers since the mid 70s. They made the Super Bowl twice.

And have a better record from the creation of the AFC to Brady. Compared to the formation of the AFC to Manning for the Colts, and that includes the tail end of Unitas's career with a Super Bowl! 

The Patriots have more winning seasons, 15, compared to their 12 losing with 3 .500. The Colts have 16 losing seasons against their 10 winning with 2 .500.

Look The point was the situation stepped into wasn't close to what Peyton stepped into. Doesn't make him any less of a player. It is just a point.

You can skew data any way you want.

Are you really comparing the two franchises? Before Brady the Pats never won anything. The Colts had Unitas who many argue is the best to have ever played the game.

Once the cap/FA came in the mid-90's past histories became irrelevant as teams turned over their rosters every 3-4 years. The Patriot team that went to the SB in 1996 was not the team Brady inherited in 2001. Pete Carroll destroyed everything Parcells had built and Bill started over with Brady. Like I said, the team was 5-13 when Brady took over and then he went 14-3 delivering the franchise its first ring and then two more within the next three years. But don't make my word for it, here is the editorial write-up from Michael Holly's book "Patriot Reign" which chronicled the Patriots championships years:

"When Bill Belichick arrived in New England, the Patriots were a laughingstock, an organization with a losing record and a roster of overpaid, underperforming players. So how did a head coach with a questionable record transform this team, garner three Lombardi trophies in four years, and -- with the Pats' 2005 Super Bowl win over the Philadelphia Eagles -- cement the team's place as an NFL dynasty?"

http://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Reign-ebook/dp/B000FC2RT0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381174851&sr=8-1&keywords=patriot+reign

I was under the impression that Parcells drafted a significant number of the contributors to all three super bowl wins. Carrol may not have known what to do with him, but that doesn't mean the talent wasn't there. He hardly "destroyed everything". And talent drafted for a Parcels defense is obviously going to fit like a glove into a Belichick defense.

More to the point, what FX is referring to is more than just "not winning". The Colts had about the worst owner in professional sports, the horrible last years in Baltimore with the disruptive move, the Elway disaster, the Art Schichter disaster, the owners son as the worst GM in sports, with the Dickerson disaster, the George disaster, the Entman/Coryatt disaster.. In other words, 20 years of moronic trades that left fans scratching their heads even before they failed miserably, pathetic and doomed drafts, with a belligerent drunk owner and incompetent management. That hardly compares with the Patriots simply being generally uncompetitive more often then not.

To be fair, things felt more hopeful once Bob died and Bill Tobin was named GM. Even though more losing seasons ensued, the tide had turned. But prior to that? It was ALL I could do to keep being a football fan at all. 

I know their is a "Peyton save the franchise" sentiment around here, and some think the 90s colts where the late 70s-early 80s colts, but the reality is that the 90s colts were not as bad as some think, a few playoff appearances, one AFCCG appearance and one drop from the SB . . .

in the 6 seasons predating Manning the colts were 42-54 and the pats were 51-45 in the 6 seasons before Brady came in for Bledsoe, in the decade before each QB took over the franchise the colts had 6 seasons at or north of 0.500 whereas the pats had 5 seasons at north of 0.500 . . . I really do not care what each franchise did in 1982, but in the years preceding the arrival of our two beloved QBs rise to starter, our two franchises where not that far off from each other . . . well not as far as some on this board might think . . .

what is relevant to the discussion is what was at or around the time in which the two came onto a team . . . if Manning decided to retire a QB going onto the Broncos would be in better shape than if one when on the Broncos in the mid 2000s, similar a QB coming to NE would be better shape than if he came in the early 90s . . .

maybe should have, Brady looked really really bad . . . it was one of our worst offensive production in the Brady era . . . terrible just terrible . . . hopefully it will be just one game, but time will tell . . .  

Man that was freaky seeing that and some of the time I watched it looked like he didn't care even?? I wanted him to break Bress's record bad not even one TD WHAT????????????????

I was under the impression that Parcells drafted a significant number of the contributors to all three super bowl wins. Carrol may not have known what to do with him, but that doesn't mean the talent wasn't there. He hardly "destroyed everything". And talent drafted for a Parcels defense is obviously going to fit like a glove into a Belichick defense.

More to the point, what FX is referring to is more than just "not winning". The Colts had about the worst owner in professional sports, the horrible last years in Baltimore with the disruptive move, the Elway disaster, the Art Schichter disaster, the owners son as the worst GM in sports, with the Dickerson disaster, the George disaster, the Entman/Coryatt disaster.. In other words, 20 years of moronic trades that left fans scratching their heads even before they failed miserably, pathetic and doomed drafts, with a belligerent drunk owner and incompetent management. That hardly compares with the Patriots simply being generally uncompetitive more often then not.

To be fair, things felt more hopeful once Bob died and Bill Tobin was named GM. Even though more losing seasons ensued, the tide had turned. But prior to that? It was ALL I could do to keep being a football fan at all. 

and you think the Pats were a model franchise . . . we were once owned by a guy that made shavers . . . although we hire Parcels and he had a few winning seasons, he was not going to be around here long enough to do anything . . . in our only chance at glory in SB against Green Bay Parcels was just as concerned about taking calls on his new job as the HC of the NYJs than he was focusing on the SB . . . then we had the preseatle Pete Carroll . . . not to mentions guys by the name of Rust, Meyer, MacPherson and Berry . . .

yah we may of had an edge to a degree on the colts in the 90s and surely Manning transformed Indiana from a basketball state to a football state, yes, but to say that Indy was a waste land compare to NE is really a stretch . . .

Man that was freaky seeing that and some of the time I watched it looked like he didn't care even?? I wanted him to break Bress's record bad not even one TD WHAT????????????????

I did too, but yes what was up with his sideline demeanor . . . . you know . . . you are in a close game in a conference game, you are the leader of young WRs and you are sitting on the sidelines half of the time staring straight ahead . . . I can understand when he was with Josh M, going over polaroid, but the rest of the time he looked really disinterested . . .

I said from the mid 70s for a reason. Without a doubt the Colts are more storied, and historic franchise compared to the Patriots.

All I said was the Patriots weren't losers since the mid 70s. They made the Super Bowl twice.

And have a better record from the creation of the AFC to Brady. Compared to the formation of the AFC to Manning for the Colts, and that includes the tail end of Unitas's career with a Super Bowl! 

The Patriots have more winning seasons, 15, compared to their 12 losing with 3 .500. The Colts have 16 losing seasons against their 10 winning with 2 .500.

Look The point was the situation stepped into wasn't close to what Peyton stepped into. Doesn't make him any less of a player. It is just a point.

You can skew data any way you want.

All your data just points to the fact that both franchises were lousy when Manning and Brady took the helm. lol.

Like I said, you can go back to the 70's if you like but before that you had Unitas who revolutionized the game. Had Elway actually played for Baltimore like he should have then you would have had Unitas, Elway, Manning, Luck. Now compare that to the Pats with Steve Grogan, Tony Eason, Tom Ramsey, Doug Flutie, Scott Secuels, Scott Zolak, Marck Wilson, Hugh Milen, Drew Bledsoe, Tom Brady.

It's not even close.

Also, many forget that prior to Kraft buying the Pats in 1994 the previous owner was going to move the team to St. Louis. That is how bad they were.

Like I said, I am not sure what the history of the team has to do with Manning coming in 1998. When he got there he had some pretty good talent around him - Faulk, Harrison, etc. The team also had a couple of winning seasons under Jim Harbaugh. So it was not in anymore of a mess then what Brady inherited. He got a 5-13 team.

Many of the defensive players were there from Parcells (Law, Bruschi, Milloy) but none from the offense other than Brown who had been cut twice previously and then became a star under Brady. Brady making a star out of a slot receiver. Who woulda thought? ;)

I did too, but yes what was up with his sideline demeanor . . . . you know . . . you are in a close game in a conference game, you are the leader of young WRs and you are sitting on the sidelines half of the time staring straight ahead . . . I can understand when he was with Josh M, going over polaroid, but the rest of the time he looked really disinterested . . .

I haven't been paying much attention - and I swear to you that I don't mean this to be divisive or critical - but the first time that I saw pictures of him with his new haircut I thought that he looked ill. Maybe it's just the hair, but his face seemed thin and he just seemed miserable.

I want Peyton to do better than him on the field, but I would never wish illness or injury on anyone. I usually enjoy poking fun at the pretty boy, but suddenly he looked like a depressed wanna-be marine who had been put through the boot-camp obstacle course one time too many.

Any thoughts? If just overwhelmed about the misery of the current skill players I would be pleased with the knowledge that Peyton handled his misery in 2010 with aplomb. But if there were really something wrong that would be upsetting. The man looks haunted.

I guess when people ask why every talks about The Sheriff and Shady Tom Brady all the time...

...those numbers are why

I think you're on to something there:) 

Wow Brady with  only 40 losses

gall dang no wonder they call him the best :rock:

I think he is trying not to go crazy like he did in the Jets game and then be critiicized for his body language. So perhaps he was staying away intentionally to keep from yelling at them. I also think he is upset at Gronk. 

Do you respect the Patriots for 2007? I mock them myself - particularly with their "perfect season" win coming against the team they lost the SB to. It's really hard to beat a good team twice in a matter of weeks. Perhaps if the Patriots hadn't pulled out all the stops in game one, they would have won game two. Are you telling me that you (or any Patriots fan) wouldn't make that trade off?

That is so true-

I haven't been paying much attention - and I swear to you that I don't mean this to be divisive or critical - but the first time that I saw pictures of him with his new haircut I thought that he looked ill. Maybe it's just the hair, but his face seemed thin and he just seemed miserable.

I want Peyton to do better than him on the field, but I would never wish illness or injury on anyone. I usually enjoy poking fun at the pretty boy, but suddenly he looked like a depressed wanna-be marine who had been put through the boot-camp obstacle course one time too many.

Any thoughts? If just overwhelmed about the misery of the current skill players I would be pleased with the knowledge that Peyton handled his misery in 2010 with aplomb. But if there were really something wrong that would be upsetting. The man looks haunted.

Could be just the short haircut. That can do that to your face.. But he does look haunted I agree. Been tryin' to figure it out myself.

Could be just the short haircut. That can do that to your face.. But he does look haunted I agree. Been tryin' to figure it out myself.

After that last game Brady's outfit was full Jim Carrey from Dumb and Dumber. It wasnt just the haircut, but the coat jacket. I was digging it.