Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

That Big, Tall Deep Threat Wr Manning Never Had

theking213

WR is the last position this team should consider burning a pick on. I would rather have a big stud on the OL or DL. And help fix glaring weaknesses that have festered for how long now?

If the Colts start running the ball, and stopping the run then Manning and the Colts will have great shot at another SB.

But the Tweetmaster will probably burn a #1 overall pick on a player that will sit for 3 or 4 years.....

Sigh.

WR is the last position this team should consider burning a pick on. I would rather have a big stud on the OL or DL. And help fix glaring weaknesses that have festered for how long now?

If the Colts start running the ball, and stopping the run then Manning and the Colts will have great shot at another SB.

But the Tweetmaster will probably burn a #1 overall pick on a player that will sit for 3 or 4 years.....

Sigh.

No one is sure if the colts are gonna keep garcon, the colts said they would resign reggie and mathis... but they never mentioned garcon.. collie isnt an outside receiver and gonzo will be gone soooo the colts have to address that and the CB position... maybe they can get lucky with another nevis.

No one is sure if the colts are gonna keep garcon, the colts said they would resign reggie and mathis... but they never mentioned garcon.. collie isnt an outside receiver and gonzo will be gone soooo the colts have to address that and the CB position... maybe they can get lucky with another nevis.

I don't recall them saying they were definitively going to keep Wayne or Mathis and I would be shocked to find out that decision has already been made.

I honestly don't see the Colts picking a WR or Luck with their first pick. The only way they pick up Luck is with the #1 pick...and I don't think they're gonna get that this year because Miami is even worse than us right now. If they don't pick up an elite/shutdown corner with their first pick I will be very disappointed.

So again, there are other QB prospects who can sit behind Manning and learn from him. We don't HAVE to take Luck, there are other options and I could argue that there may even be better ones. I've said this numerous times before though and it always seems to get overlooked and people simply come back again with "must take Luck" so I'm not expecting anything different this time but you quoted me directly so...these are my answers.

I'm not saying we MUST take Luck.

I'm saying if the team feels he's as special as some are saying he is, you take him. Whether its #1 or #20 something, does it really matter if he's the guy? I don't care if its Luck, Painter, Carson Palmer, or some other rookie QB, I feel we need to get a QB as if he's gonna be the #1 going forward. I don't know if Luck is the guy, fortunately I don't have to make that call. But I just don't have confidense Manning will be back 100%, if at all. And neither should the team. I realize we'll have a better idea on manning's status at draft time.

The bottom line, in my mind, is that whether you take him #1, #15, or #30, if he's the guy then he's the guy. The new rookie cap will help in the $ area anyhow.

With Manning's age, the few years he has left, and the injury uncertainty, we NEED another starting caliber QB on this team. If you want Luck but you don't take him solely because you don't want him to sit for 2 years than I'm afraid that is a mistake. If you feel the "other 2 or 3 QBs" are just as good , then fine. If you don't think they are as good, then you're a fool not to take Luck (provided you want a QB) I don't agree with the "you can't make a high 1st rd pick sit for more than a year. Says who? This isn't a "normal" situation. Early 1st rd or late 1st rd is all the same to me when you are talking NEEDS. Most teams that take a QB early NEED a QB anyway. Its totally different. As far as Rodgers, GB never thought he'd be available. He fell in the draft further than most thought.

The fun part about this is that we don't know whats gonna happen. Different opinions are healthy. I'm sure they have different opinions about this within the organization as well.

I don't recall them saying they were definitively going to keep Wayne or Mathis and I would be shocked to find out that decision has already been made.

Chris polian said they would be resigning mathis and wayne... thats why wayne was talking about how great of a team player peyton is... there's also an article about it but that was during the preseason.

Chris polian said they would be resigning mathis and wayne... thats why wayne was talking about how great of a team player peyton is... there's also an article about it but that was during the preseason.

I am not saying I disagree with you but I disagree with you. The reason is even Chris Polian does not know that to be true right now. If Wayne thinks he should be the highest paid receiver in the game, then he WILL NOT be resigned. Same with Mathis. If either of them thinks their value is higher than the Colts do, they are gone. No two ways about it.

One of the many reasons I like Dwight Jones and think he'll be a steal

10-14-201112-29-37AM.gif

Majorly under thrown ball and epic poor tacking by Louisville I know but still awesome

Those CB's would fit right in with the Colts system.

Edited by Balzer40

You missed my point.

Size is grossly overrated.

Marvin was tiny and he was a deep threat. Desean jackson isn't a big guy and he's a deep threat. The list goes on and on.

Size, unless you have Randy Moss type hands, and very, very few do, doesn't equal success.

We don't need a hulking deep threat. If we want a hulking WR, he'd be better off in the slot in our offense.

Size is overrated? You gotta be joking...look at Calvin Johnson, Andrew Johnson, Brandon Marshall just to name a few. All 3 of them are over 6'2 and are arguably the 3 best wrs in the league. If Peyton had one of them, our offense would be unstoppable. Can you imagine Wayne, garcon, and a new tall rookie WR?

Peyton Mannings seasons are numbered and counting down, this draft may be the last opportunity to give him that big, tall athletic deep threat Wide out that he has never had in his career.

This draft class is loaded with talented tall receivers and the Colts should spend at least one pick to nab one

Also there are some highly notable upcoming free agent WR.

The bio, strengths & weaknesses are those I have compiled from across the web and are not my own words

I have also included the prospects which I think the Colts have a legitimate shot at with the way the season is going.

The top 3 WRs over 6'2"

alshon-jeffery-touchdown.jpg

Alshon Jeffery - South Carolina

Projected top 10 pick

6'4" 229 lbs

Projected 40: 4.56

Strengths:

• Has fought through poor quarterback play and made a name for himself as a player who simply gets the job done.
  • Impossible to press coverage, he just bullies his way out of it.
  • Very soft hands and a huge wing span
  • Long strider who glides deceivingly quick.

Weaknesses:

• Room for improvement as a route runner
  • Rounds routes too often and needs to show better burst in and out of cuts.
  • Lack of elite speed

Overall: His skill-set is advanced enough to compensate for whatever he lacks in the speed department and give him the potential to be one of the league's most feared receivers.

Best game

9/25/2010 @ Auburn

8 rec 192 yds (24.0 avg)

2 touchdowns longest reception: 69 yds

ncf_a_fuller_ps_300.jpg

Jeff Fuller - Texas A&M

Projected 2 - 3 (Is currently out with a concussion so could fall to Colts in 3rd)

6'4" 220 lbs

Projected 40: 4.52

Strengths:

• Size- Jeff Fuller is more of a modern day wide receiver standing at 6 foot, 4 inches tall and 215 pounds. When I watch Fuller play, he showed that he was not scared to use his big body as an advantage against opposing corners. He likes to get into opposing corners faces, which usually led them on their backs.
  • Hands- The biggest thing that makes a wide receiver is his hands. You must know how to catch the ball correctly and time it correctly, which Jeff Fuller can do. His hands aren’t just skilled, they are huge. You can have 20 normal size handed corners trying to snag the ball from him, but at the end of the play with his huge hands he will catch the ball.
  • Clutch in the red zone- Mesh those two strengths above then you get a red zone target, which is what Jeff Fuller is. When the Aggie’s got to the red zone they knew who there target was Jeff Fuller because of his size and skilled hands that he would make the catch close to 100% of the time. You would think opposing defenses would have caught on to this, but they never did. Jeff Fuller is close to unstoppable when it came to the red zone.

Weaknesses:

• Speed- Jeff Fuller is not the fastest receiver. He tends to get beat out by corners due to his speed. If he wants to take his game to the next level where there are really fast corners, he will definitely need to work on his speed.
  • Durability- A couple of injuries here and there for Jeff Fuller, but the biggest one was breaking his leg back in 2009 against Utah State.
  • More aggressive on yards after catch- I saw a couple; actually a lot of plays where Jeff Fuller made a catch then stepped out of bounds immediately. He needs to be more aggressive on getting the most yards he can get after catching the ball, even if it is one or two more yards.

Overall: A less physical version of Alshon Jeffery

Best game

10/30/2010 Texas Tech

11 rec 171 yds (avg 15.5)

2 TDs (Long: 34)

**Potential steal of the draft**

10112011123309pm.jpg

Dwight Jones - UNC

Projected late 2nd - 3rd round

• But with the monster year he's having so far, he could shoot up the draft board.10112011123533pm.jpg

6'4" 210 lbs

05/23/2011 Junior Pro Day 40: 4.50 sec

Evaluation

"Tarheels wide receiver Dwight Jones is an interesting prospect to watch this season. He combines great speed with a big body in a deep threat receiver. He also has enough quickness to be a force underneath as well. The big thing he needs to work on is consistency, especially in route running (which is solid enough for a big receiver, but needs refinement and sharpness). He has the potential to be a first round pick, but likely falls somewhere between rounds two and four as of right now."

-8/18/11

"Jones is a big receiver with good hands. He isn't quite the explosive threat that his former teammate, Greg Little, was, but he has enough speed to create a bit of separation, and with his size, he can give a quarterback a window to throw the ball into it. His routes are good, but they are what they are at this point, he's not going to be able to make them much sharper at his size. Good enough straight line speed, could really be an asset in the red zone, and a potential number two receiver in the NFL."

-10/1/11

Thanks King....Good stuff..

Size is overrated? You gotta be joking...look at Calvin Johnson, Andrew Johnson, Brandon Marshall just to name a few. All 3 of them are over 6'2 and are arguably the 3 best wrs in the league. If Peyton had one of them, our offense would be unstoppable. Can you imagine Wayne, garcon, and a new tall rookie WR?

The point there are big playmakers who come in small sizes as well. Can you imagine this offense with Wayne, Garcon & Desean Jackson? I think the Colts want a good WR first and good, tall one 2nd.

Plus I have not exactly seen Manning having trouble throwing TD's the WR's he has played with over the years.

I am not saying I disagree with you but I disagree with you. The reason is even Chris Polian does not know that to be true right now. If Wayne thinks he should be the highest paid receiver in the game, then he WILL NOT be resigned. Same with Mathis. If either of them thinks their value is higher than the Colts do, they are gone. No two ways about it.

There's nothing to disagree on, chris polian said they both would be resigned... if they cant come to an agreement then it doesnt happen but until then and as of now polian said they would be resigned... end of.

The Colts already have a couple of 6'3 possession receivers - Clark and Tamme.

I wouldn't complain if the Colts added a top flight WR in next years draft, but size is less important than the other skills.

By the way, shouldn't this thread be in the draft forum?

There's nothing to disagree on, chris polian said they both would be resigned... if they cant come to an agreement then it doesnt happen but until then and as of now polian said they would be resigned... end of.

I don't know what it so hard to understand. This absolutely not a decision that has been made yet. No way it could have been. I know the Colts want them back but if Wayne & Mathis don't want to be back or if they do want to come back to Indy but think their value is higher than what the Colts want to pay, they are gone. That is the point - this decision has not been made.

One of the many reasons I like Dwight Jones and think he'll be a steal

10-14-201112-29-37AM.gif

Majorly under thrown ball and epic poor tacking by Louisville I know but still awesome

I know. I hope we can snag this guy in the 2nd or third round. We should worry more about defense in the first few rounds before we start thinking wide receiver. This is a very deep class for WR

I know. I hope we can snag this guy in the 2nd or third round. We should worry more about defense in the first few rounds before we start thinking wide receiver. This is a very deep class for WR

Agreed....a very deep WR class and there are more of the big, tall WR's than I can recall in any year past. No, they're not all going to be Megatron but there are going to be some really good ones. I like Dwight Jones a lot, and also like Jeff Fuller, Greg Childs, Reuben Randle, Juron Criner (though a bit inconsistent this year...might be due to a minor lingering injury though), Nick Toon and Derek Moye. My overall favorite WR so far though I think would have to be Michael Floyd with Jeffery only about a fraction of an inch behind, but I highly doubt we go WR in the first round.

And I get what people are saying about size being overrated and I agree that we've had plenty of success without ever having that big, tall WR. However the one type of weapon Peyton has never really had here (that I can think of) is that tall WR who can go up and snag a jump ball out of the air. Does Peyton need this type of weapon? No, he's proven he doesn't...but it would be a luxury he's never really had. :)

I don't know what it so hard to understand. This absolutely not a decision that has been made yet. No way it could have been. I know the Colts want them back but if Wayne & Mathis don't want to be back or if they do want to come back to Indy but think their value is higher than what the Colts want to pay, they are gone. That is the point - this decision has not been made.

http://wap.nfl.com/news/09000d5d8213af91/wayne-mathis-garcon-could-remain-colts-thanks-to-manning/

Why in the world would you think they dont want to be back? both wayne and mathis will be back next year.

http://wap.nfl.com/n...nks-to-manning/

Why in the world would you think they dont want to be back? both wayne and mathis will be back next year.

This is not freaking hard to understand.

No one today - Wayne, Mathis, Irsay, either Polian, me or you can definitively say that Wayne will be back. There are too many variables to say that today those guys will be back.

This is not freaking hard to understand.

No one today - Wayne, Mathis, Irsay, either Polian, me or you can definitively say that Wayne will be back. There are too many variables to say that today those guys will be back.

No reason to believe they WONT be back.. i have every reason to believe they will be.

You missed my point.

Size is grossly overrated.

Marvin was tiny and he was a deep threat. Desean jackson isn't a big guy and he's a deep threat. The list goes on and on.

Size, unless you have Randy Moss type hands, and very, very few do, doesn't equal success.

We don't need a hulking deep threat. If we want a hulking WR, he'd be better off in the slot in our offense.

size is grossly overrated?? did you watch the game last week? dwayne bowe for the win

size is grossly overrated?? did you watch the game last week? dwayne bowe for the win

Hmmmm.... I think that has a bit more to do with Lacey and Rucker than Bowe. I probably could've stuck in [insert any 5th string WR] and gotten the same results....

Edited by Mouthfire

Agreed....a very deep WR class and there are more of the big, tall WR's than I can recall in any year past. No, they're not all going to be Megatron but there are going to be some really good ones. I like Dwight Jones a lot, and also like Jeff Fuller, Greg Childs, Reuben Randle, Juron Criner (though a bit inconsistent this year...might be due to a minor lingering injury though), Nick Toon and Derek Moye. My overall favorite WR so far though I think would have to be Michael Floyd with Jeffery only about a fraction of an inch behind, but I highly doubt we go WR in the first round.

And I get what people are saying about size being overrated and I agree that we've had plenty of success without ever having that big, tall WR. However the one type of weapon Peyton has never really had here (that I can think of) is that tall WR who can go up and snag a jump ball out of the air. Does Peyton need this type of weapon? No, he's proven he doesn't...but it would be a luxury he's never really had. :)

peyton may never be back, we have to have tall receivers in the red zone who can work with any qb

The Colts already have a couple of 6'3 possession receivers - Clark and Tamme.

I wouldn't complain if the Colts added a top flight WR in next years draft, but size is less important than the other skills.

By the way, shouldn't this thread be in the draft forum?

hank" no hands baskett" is available