Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

It's Great to be a Colts and Broncos Fan

18Manning

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And, what if I told you that I was Olivia Manning.  I have two sons who play on different NFL teams and I am devoted to both of my sons.

Would I have to hold one of those teams in higher regard? 

You don't hold those teams in any regard because you're not a fan of the Giants or the Broncos.  When they play, you don't care who wins.

And there's nothing wrong with that position.

yes I see your point . . . but not sure if sports is a serious as life . . . and perhaps the rules are not as stringent with the latter . . . not all sets need to come in conflict as one of the teams might loose before they meet . . . and as such the may never meet . . .but when then do, one can at that point chose who one wants . . . 

I want the Pats to win the SB, but if not would like to see the skins win it . . . if they happen to meet in the SB I am cheering for the pats . . .

That's a perfectly acceptable position.  I think most of us feel that way about sports in general. 

I'm a Cards fan (MLB) but if they lose I'm rooting for the Pirates this year.  That doesn't make me a Cards/Pirates fan.

I'm an IU fan, but I was rooting for Butler during their two runs when IU was out of it.  That doesn't make me an IU/Butler fan.

The bottom line is that you cannot definitionally be a "fan" of something if it's not the highest priority to you in whatever category it resides in (NFL, etc.).  If you're rooting for one team over another if they play, then you're a fan of the team you want to win because that team has the highest priority.

Agreed! In my mind he retired as a Colt and is sitting on some beach sipping fruity drinks with umbrellas in them ;) that broncos guy is an imposter!

But if I used the same analogy about the Baltimore/Indy Colts, you guys would clobber me, although I get your point about Manning in a different uniform. I thought the same about Unitas in powder blue ! 

I think your comments are pretty much what I've heard from other people on the forum that have followed the Colts from Indy to Baltimore. Had Irsay renamed the team , it sounds like even less would have followed the Colts after the move. The ones who did follow, followed the horse shoe.I also idolized , met, and watched John Unitas. I used to go down with my family to his Golden Arm Restaurant in Lutherville. John was a loyal , diehard, Baltimore guy, and he always promoted the Ravens as the heir apparent to the Baltimore Colts. For him, and most of us, when the Baltimore Colts left in 1983, that team died and then the history moved on with the Baltimore Ravens. Note I didn't say franchise history. I honestly don't think John ever had anything at all against Indy whatsoever, he was very simplistic on stating he just never played there. Like most of us, when the Ravens came to town in 1996, John was there cheering with the rest of us. He stood on the sidelines for many of the games, and when he passed away , they had a #19 in a blue circle on the Ravens sideline. As you know, he is in the Ravens Ring of Honor and had a statue at M &T Bank stadium. Lesser known is that Towson University in Baltimore has a football stadium called Johnny Unitas Stadium.It's cool for people in Indy , or anywhere, to like the Colts because of Unitas. It sounds like you like the Colts because of the horseshoe and using the same old uniforms. I am still a Colts fan, but a Baltimore Colts fan. Without the Baltimore in front of it, to me , it's a totally different team. Now obviously , the NFL franchise rules , and Hall of Fame say otherwise, but that is the feeling by most in Baltimore. Not saying anyone is right or wrong here, but just my opinion.To go to your point about the uniforms and horseshoes , I just couldn't say the Indianapolis Colts were the team I followed in my childhood. It was the Baltimore Colts, and we played at Memorial stadium. Had I lived in Indiana, and was born there , I would certainly be an Indy Colts fan, a Pacers fan, and an IU fan. I've come to understand why Indy fans like the Colts and the horseshoe , much like I did , when I was growing up. I just couldn't identify with a team on the Midwest , in a dome, even though they had the same team colors and records. Unless you grew up in a city where a team moved, it may be hard to understand that, but it just isn't the same.

I've lived in and around the New Orleans area all my life so I have no ties to a city as a Colts and I'm glad not to have to deal with the city move myself I could only imagine and what I hear about it. Wish I could say more about this but I'm on my phone in Dallas.Hey I wonder if my flight get canceled to n.o. if they got tickets left here in Dallas for Broncos game??. One interesting thing about Johnny Unitas before I go, I started and use to run the group on the old colts site the group Colt Fans of the Unitas Days!! Tons of pics videos and all kinds of Unitas stuff!! Gotta run..

I've lived in and around the New Orleans area all my life so I have no ties to a city as a Colts and I'm glad not to have to deal with the city move myself I could only imagine and what I hear about it. Wish I could say more about this but I'm on my phone in Dallas.Hey I wonder if my flight get canceled to n.o. if they got tickets left here in Dallas for Broncos game??. One interesting thing about Johnny Unitas before I go, I started and use to run the group on the old colts site the group Colt Fans of the Unitas Days!! Tons of pics videos and all kinds of Unitas stuff!! Gotta run..

If you like the old Colts go to : www.baltimorecoltsmania.com   Has a lot of cool stuff on it. I was down in New Orleans twice this year, great city, and I love the food. 

That's a perfectly acceptable position.  I think most of us feel that way about sports in general. 

I'm a Cards fan (MLB) but if they lose I'm rooting for the Pirates this year.  That doesn't make me a Cards/Pirates fan.

I'm an IU fan, but I was rooting for Butler during their two runs when IU was out of it.  That doesn't make me an IU/Butler fan.

The bottom line is that you cannot definitionally be a "fan" of something if it's not the highest priority to you in whatever category it resides in (NFL, etc.).  If you're rooting for one team over another if they play, then you're a fan of the team you want to win because that team has the highest priority.

This is your opinion, not a rule for fans to abide by. I am a fan of both teams as well as others. You have not asked me which team I prefer to win. My answer to that question is somewhere in this forum.

Grr, I fan so much harder than you. You can't be a fan you arent on my fandom level.

You hear that that was my fangasm..

^^Majority of Colts fans here...

And probably 75% of you on here ARE NOT Colts fans. You're Indianapolis fans. So get over yourselves. Why it makes some of you so bitter that people enjoy watching Peyton succeed is beyond me. Don't forget if it wasn't for him you'd be fans of the Indianapolis Racers or something. No Luck, No Pagano, No Horshoe.

Everyone is entitled to root for who they please, and no one is more fan that anyne else. At the end of the day you root for the same thing.

Ask your wife if she's devoted to you, then ask yourself how you would feel if she was "devoted" to other people the same way.

You can't be devoted to more than one.

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

You can't be devoted to two teams at once. That's a logical fact.

This is your opinion, not a rule for fans to abide by. I am a fan of both teams as well as others. You have not asked me which team I prefer to win. My answer to that question is somewhere in this forum.

You do realize that the term "fan" is short for fanatic, right?

You cannot, by definition, be a fanatic of two teams.

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

You can't be devoted to two teams at once. That's a logical fact.

That's a horrible analogy made worse by you acting like its a good one lol.

If anyone here thinks their devotion to a sports team is apples to apples to that of a spouse of loved one, seek help.

You do realize that the term "fan" is short for fanatic, right?

You cannot, by definition, be a fanatic of two teams.

Again, at least considering the definition below, being a fanatic isn't restricted to a single entity among similar/like entities. Must be in the ViriLudant version of a dictionary. :)

fa·nat·ic

/fəˈnætɪk/  Show Spelled [fuh-nat-ik]  Show IPA

noun
1. a person with an extreme and uncritical enthusiasm or zeal, as in religion or politics.

You, know...all I meant to express from the beginning was my excitement about the rankings of the Colts and the Broncos. This has become a little stupid.

Seems the norm around here more and more is to chastise people for creating threads simply because you disagree or take issue with the topic. Not sure why those who don't like a topic don't just skip to the next thread ... :scratch: