Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

It's Great to be a Colts and Broncos Fan

18Manning

I think the difference between being a Manning fan and a Bronco's fan is that a Manning fan knows and acknowledges that he probably won't care about the Bronco's after Manning leaves them.  

Unless Manning is in the way of the Colt's winning a game or getting into the playoffs then I'm a Manning fan.  I hope he does well and I hope he wins a SB with the Broncos.  

In that sense I'm cheering for him and the Broncos.  

But after he's done with the Broncos I'm not really gonna care so much.  

This for the most part expresses my sentiments exactly.  I consider myself in a way to be a Broncos fan because I follow them pretty much equally as I do the Colts (which means borderline obsessively and excessively lol) and root for both.  In all likelihood, when Peyton retires I'm really not going to care that much about the Broncos anymore, although I may still like some of the players (like Demaryius Thomas). The only reason I'm a Colts fan, heck even an NFL fan, is because of Peyton. But that initial fandom because of Peyton, rapidly then turned into fandom for the Indianapolis Colts. Since then, I've tried my best to envelop myself with the team during the present as well as doing all I could to learn about their past.

My approach to Broncos (with Peyton) vs. Colts is merely to appreciate the game and save myself any headaches/heartaches.

I'll end with this final analogy: You have a best friend. He/She was your first best friend and still is. That best friend introduces you to the love of your life. For some reason there's a rift between the two. Somehow, someway, I think you need to have loyalty to both because both are equally important to you.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This for the most part expresses my sentiments exactly.  I consider myself in a way to be a Broncos fan because I follow them pretty much equally as I do the Colts (which means borderline obsessively and excessively lol) and root for both.  In all likelihood, when Peyton retires I'm really not going to care that much about the Broncos anymore, although I may still like some of the players (like Demaryius Thomas). The only reason I'm a Colts fan, heck even an NFL fan, is because of Peyton. But that initial fandom because of Peyton, rapidly then turned into fandom for the Indianapolis Colts. Since then, I've tried my best to envelop myself with the team during the present as well as doing all I could to learn about their past.

My approach to Broncos (with Peyton) vs. Colts is merely to appreciate the game and save myself any headaches/heartaches.

I'll end with this final analogy: You have a best friend. He/She was your first best friend and still is. That best friend introduces you to the love of your life. For some reason there's a rift between the two. Somehow, someway, I think you need to have loyalty to both because both are equally important to you.

I follow the Colt's much more closely, but I try to catch the Bronco's game too because I like to root for Peyton and quite frankly their offensive fire works show is fun to watch.  

This is good

I am here because I am a fan of the Colts. Have been since Unitas was under center. That said when he left I am still a Colts fan. This Peyton Manning love fest is getting old to me. Everyday another PM is this PM is that thread is started. I wish him good health but that is all. He is a Denver Bronco now so he is in the rearview mirror to this organization. And should be until he retires and goes to the ring of honor. But if you are saying you are a Colts fan and you are torn between who to root for when Denver vs Colts then as far as I am concerned you are not a Colts fan. Just a PM groupie. Get on one wagon or the other. How about "I don't know who I will root for".... smh I hope Peyton is on his back crying like a girl when we play Denver. And throws 3 or 4 pick 6s like we all know he can. He isn't FAMILY or a GOD. And to play for Elway even makes it worse. I hope they deny him entry to LOS. I know after this post I will be dead to a few of you here, but you will know where my loyalties lay. With the Indianapolis COLTS!!!

I am here because I am a fan of the Colts. Have been since Unitas was under center. That said when he left I am still a Colts fan. This Peyton Manning love fest is getting old to me. Everyday another PM is this PM is that thread is started. I wish him good health but that is all. He is a Denver Bronco now so he is in the rearview mirror to this organization. And should be until he retires and goes to the ring of honor. But if you are saying you are a Colts fan and you are torn between who to root for when Denver vs Colts then as far as I am concerned you are not a Colts fan. Just a PM groupie. Get on one wagon or the other. How about "I don't know who I will root for".... smh I hope Peyton is on his back crying like a girl when we play Denver. And throws 3 or 4 pick 6s like we all know he can. He isn't FAMILY or a GOD. And to play for Elway even makes it worse. I hope they deny him entry to LOS. I know after this post I will be dead to a few of you here, but you will know where my loyalties lay. With the Indianapolis COLTS!!!

I'm worse than that!! I'm just a Colts Fan!! If the Colts moved to tim buck two I'd be a Timbucktwo Colts fan!!!

I guess I'm just being selfish, but I don't want to see Peyton win if he's not wearing the Horseshoe. I'm sure I'm in the minority on this, but I don't want him taking anything away from his legacy in Indy. I know some of you wil say "oh nothing he does with Denver will take away what he did here" but yea, it will. If he wins 2 SBs in say 5 years with Denver, I think you can guarantee his legacy will be viewed as much as a Bronco as it will be as a Colt. Think about it, how would you REALLY feel to see Peyton hoist the Lombardi in a Broncos uniform? How would you feel if he breaks all the major passing records in a Broncos uniform? It'll probably make me sick to my stomach. I bleed blue and Peyton is the main reason for that, but like I said I guess I'm just being selfish and don't want him to win on another team.

I guess I'm just being selfish, but I don't want to see Peyton win if he's not wearing the Horseshoe. I'm sure I'm in the minority on this, but I don't want him taking anything away from his legacy in Indy. I know some of you wil say "oh nothing he does with Denver will take away what he did here" but yea, it will. If he wins 2 SBs in say 5 years with Denver, I think you can guarantee his legacy will be viewed as much as a Bronco as it will be as a Colt. Think about it, how would you REALLY feel to see Peyton hoist the Lombardi in a Broncos uniform? How would you feel if he breaks all the major passing records in a Broncos uniform? It'll probably make me sick to my stomach. I bleed blue and Peyton is the main reason for that, but like I said I guess I'm just being selfish and don't want him to win on another team.

REALLY? I wouldn't care. As long as he didn't beat the colts on the way to the SB I would be happy for they guy. At the end of the day he is just a football player...

REALLY? I wouldn't care. As long as he didn't beat the colts on the way to the SB I would be happy for they guy. At the end of the day he is just a football player...

Good for you. Thats just how i feel. So how would you feel if he did beat the Colts on the way to winning his second SB?

I felt this way about watching Ray Bourque win the Cup with the Avalanche. He actually came to Boston and did a little parade which I thought was ridiculous. I was rooting for him to lose as I could not stand that team and hated the fact that he specifically left Boston to go get his cup which I get on one level but as a fan I was not rooting for him.

Good for you. Thats just how i feel. So how would you feel if he did beat the Colts on the way to winning his second SB?

Nothing topical to add, I just wanted to openly give you props for one of the funnier and more creative message board names I've seen in a while! (It would be a great name for a fantasy team too. Kind of like, "Somewhere Over the Dwayne Bowe.")

Honestly, I don't know how any Colt's fan, be it from the Baltimore or Indianapolis era, could like John Elway. For  Baltimore people, he was a factor in the move of the franchise, and from an Indy perspective, his trade by Irsay caused more losing seasons from 1984-1997, save for the Harbaugh miracle year in 1995. I have nothing really against Denver, they are another AFC foe, and I do like Manning, but I won't pull for him when he's playing the Ravens obviously. 

I felt bad for Manning last year when Denver lost, because of Moore's gaffe, and it was a tough loss for Denver fans, like the loss we had to the Pats when Evans dropped the ball, and Cundiff botched the tying field goal. However, I did have satisfaction when Elway was shown before the Flacco bomb , smirking and shaking hands when he thought the game was sown up, only to see that same smirk I saw in 1983, when he arrogantly dissed the Colts and Baltimore, wiped right off his face. I , and many people from Baltimore, waited a long time for that moment. It was a moment worth waiting for ! 

I can see both sides to this argument. On one hand, finding success with another team in a way and for lack of a better term, 'legitimizes' everything he did while a Colt and helps silence any remaining critics....but on the other hand, exactly as you said, when he's no longer a player for your team and helping your team reach those milestones and goals, why root for it to happen with another team? If you are truly a fan of your team, and not only because of what one player did for it, then that's where I have a hard time understanding these new 'hybrid' colts/bronco fans.

I think about it the only way I can...and that's to wonder how I'd feel if it was Brady. As a Patriots fan I know what he's done here and what he has meant to this franchise, but if he was to move on and be just as successful on another team, I'd be torn. As I said, that would help silence any critics who maintain that 'it's just the system' or 'it was all his defense'...but at the same time, I'm a fan of the Patriots...and anything that a player does to help a team that is not the Patriots is...well....bad for the team that I root for. One player is not enough to alter my allegiance in any way towards a team that I've loved far before he was even here. Would I hope for Brady to do well and continue to play at a high level? Sure...but it would never make me a fan of that team or root for anything to happen that would have a negative impact on my team in any way. 

I completely understand a Colts fans' love for the guy and loyalty towards him...but I have a hard time understanding how people can just suddenly become a fan of another team, especially when that team stands directly in the way of a better seeding and therefor, a better opportunity to reach their own team's ultimate goal. Any AFC team that stands at 4-0 or 3-1 right now should be openly rooting for the Broncos to lose some games, regardless of how swell their quarterback is or what he did for your team years before. What fan who thinks their team has a legitimate chance this year wants to see their team have to travel to Mile High in January in order to earn a trip to New York in February?

It is this type of bickering that is driving me away from the Forum..

I am going to the Colts/Seahawks game this weekend, but no-one has asked me who I'm cheering for. Heads Up, It is not the Seahawks.

Two Weeks later I will be going to the Colts/Broncos game, and you can bet your behind that my fandom will be questioned. Not a secret I am a Colts Fan, and also a Fan of Peyton.

I am very much looking forward to both games I am attending, in my Colts Attire, and don't want it ruined by a bunch of non-stop bickering.

So until we meet again, So long for awhile.

Gramz

You should probably just avoid message boards in general.  Message boards are for people to give their thoughts and opinions and a lot of times argue. 

I get wanting to see Peyton do well in Denver because I wanted Faulk to do well in St. Louis because he was my favorite player, but I was not happy he won a title because that means the Colts did not win it. I do not understand any fan of the Colts  who want to see Peyton do well at the expense of the Colts.  I would never root for any other team other than the Colts.  

If that means rooting for our defense to pound Peyton into the ground when we play then guess what I will be rooting for guys to hit him every single play and send him back to Denver with a big loss. 

Nothing topical to add, I just wanted to openly give you props for one of the funnier and more creative message board names I've seen in a while! (It would be a great name for a fantasy team too. Kind of like, "Somewhere Over the Dwayne Bowe.")

Thanks! And actually it is my fantasy team name too lol

I can see both sides to this argument. On one hand, finding success with another team in a way and for lack of a better term, 'legitimizes' everything he did while a Colt and helps silence any remaining critics....but on the other hand, exactly as you said, when he's no longer a player for your team and helping your team reach those milestones and goals, why root for it to happen with another team? If you are truly a fan of your team, and not only because of what one player did for it, then that's where I have a hard time understanding these new 'hybrid' colts/bronco fans.

I think about it the only way I can...and that's to wonder how I'd feel if it was Brady. As a Patriots fan I know what he's done here and what he has meant to this franchise, but if he was to move on and be just as successful on another team, I'd be torn. As I said, that would help silence any critics who maintain that 'it's just the system' or 'it was all his defense'...but at the same time, I'm a fan of the Patriots...and anything that a player does to help a team that is not the Patriots is...well....bad for the team that I root for. One player is not enough to alter my allegiance in any way towards a team that I've loved far before he was even here. Would I hope for Brady to do well and continue to play at a high level? Sure...but it would never make me a fan of that team or root for anything to happen that would have a negative impact on my team in any way. 

I completely understand a Colts fans' love for the guy and loyalty towards him...but I have a hard time understanding how people can just suddenly become a fan of another team, especially when that team stands directly in the way of a better seeding and therefor, a better opportunity to reach their own team's ultimate goal. Any AFC team that stands at 4-0 or 3-1 right now should be openly rooting for the Broncos to lose some games, regardless of how swell their quarterback is or what he did for your team years before. What fan who thinks their team has a legitimate chance this year wants to see their team have to travel to Mile High in January in order to earn a trip to New York in February?

This is all 100% spot on with where i was going with that post!

i dont see what the issue is? I, like the OP, can say that i am happy wtih the way our Colts are playing but also with a great legend of old in Manning..im happy to see him do well and if we dont get to the SB i really wish he gets his second....wahts wrong with that?

I watch both games every sunday and always root for colts and denver..

Blue and White.........     

the numbers on the back do not matter, the color does.   

Manning was stellar in Indy, but he is gone.

The warm fuzzy feeling will end real quick once Robert Mathis plants "our hero" into the LOS turf.

Go Colts...................

I like being a fan of 2 teams, especially when they're both doing so well.

Honestly, I don't know how any Colt's fan, be it from the Baltimore or Indianapolis era, could like John Elway. For  Baltimore people, he was a factor in the move of the franchise, and from an Indy perspective, his trade by Irsay caused more losing seasons from 1984-1997, save for the Harbaugh miracle year in 1995. I have nothing really against Denver, they are another AFC foe, and I do like Manning, but I won't pull for him when he's playing the Ravens obviously. 

I felt bad for Manning last year when Denver lost, because of Moore's gaffe, and it was a tough loss for Denver fans, like the loss we had to the Pats when Evans dropped the ball, and Cundiff botched the tying field goal. However, I did have satisfaction when Elway was shown before the Flacco bomb , smirking and shaking hands when he thought the game was sown up, only to see that same smirk I saw in 1983, when he arrogantly dissed the Colts and Baltimore, wiped right off his face. I , and many people from Baltimore, waited a long time for that moment. It was a moment worth waiting for ! 

Yeah Elway dissed the Colts. Then PM goes to Denver and plays for HORSE FACE with a HORSE FACE on his jersey.  PM is not a Colt. I hope they never win a :lombardi:

Yes It is great to be a Colts fan!!

Broncos, ehh not so much. Not a broncos fan and never will be. Glad manning got another shot at football but not following him and not rooting for the broncos.

I'm a fan of the uniform not the player. They move on, so do I.

You should probably just avoid message boards in general.  Message boards are for people to give their thoughts and opinions and a lot of times argue. 

I get wanting to see Peyton do well in Denver because I wanted Faulk to do well in St. Louis because he was my favorite player, but I was not happy he won a title because that means the Colts did not win it. I do not understand any fan of the Colts  who want to see Peyton do well at the expense of the Colts.  I would never root for any other team other than the Colts.  

If that means rooting for our defense to pound Peyton into the ground when we play then guess what I will be rooting for guys to hit him every single play and send him back to Denver with a big loss. 

Agreed, with part of this anyway.   Message Boards are for people to give thoughts and opinions.  I don't think this particular Message Board likes to Promote Arguments, however.

I don't judge those that no longer support Peyton.   I do however have a problem with those wishing physical harm to him..  I guess I'm weird that way.....  :dunno:

This thread is evidence as to why I always describe myself as a fan of the game, first and foremost. 

I'm a Broncos fan this year myself. Because they have great players, a great team and, of course, Peyton Manning. A few years from now, I could care less if the Broncos move to Los Angeles. 

I don't get the big deal either which I realize may seem rather hypocritical to anyone who read my posts taking objection to a Colt's fan who (prior to the start of the regular season) said that he hoped the Patriots represented the AFC in the upcoming SB.

But, as I've read through this thread; I haven't seen a single Colt's fan saying that he/she would cheer for the Broncos over the Colts . . . just that they enjoy cheering for both teams. 

As for me, I didn't become a Colt's fan because of Peyton.  However, I spent many a year cheering for that guy and I just can't turn that off now that he is Bronco.  My heart just won't let me which is probably really hard for some to understand.

When the Broncos come to Indy, I will be cheering for the Colts to pull out a big W while also hoping that Peyton has a great game  . . . albeit a loss. 

If that makes me a bad fan in the eyes of others, then so be it.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, October 3, 2013 - rude
Hidden by Nadine, October 3, 2013 - rude

You should probably just avoid message boards in general. Message boards are for people to give their thoughts and opinions and a lot of times argue.

I get wanting to see Peyton do well in Denver because I wanted Faulk to do well in St. Louis because he was my favorite player, but I was not happy he won a title because that means the Colts did not win it. I do not understand any fan of the Colts who want to see Peyton do well at the expense of the Colts. I would never root for any other team other than the Colts.

Just stop. Stop blowing smoke up peoples behinds like this. This either or is ridiculous and last I checked, you dont make the rules on who is king tut to post and who cannot.

Put a stick in it already. We Get Your Point, it has been noted. Ignored, but noted.

I don't get the big deal either which I realize may seem rather hypocritical to anyone who read my posts taking objection to a Colt's fan who (prior to the start of the regular season) said that he hoped the Patriots represented the AFC in the upcoming SB.

But, as I've read through this thread; I haven't seen a single Colt's fan saying that he/she would cheer for the Broncos over the Colts . . . just that they enjoy cheering for both teams. 

As for me, I didn't become a Colt's fan because of Peyton.  However, I spent many a year cheering for that guy and I just can't turn that off now that he is Bronco.  My heart just won't let me which is probably really hard for some to understand.

When the Broncos come to Indy, I will be cheering for the Colts to pull out a big W while also hoping that Peyton has a great game  . . . albeit a loss. 

If that makes me a bad fan in the eyes of others, then so be it.

I think MOST Colts fan here have room in thier fanhood to root for Manning.   Of course rooting for the Colts first and foremost.  I feel the way that you have just stated above that I bolded.

I root for Manning to do well, I have watched this guy for more than a decade and I simply admire his body of work, his hard work, and the fact that EVERY year in is tenure here we had a chance to win the SB.

I also feel that there are people here that actually have a will ill towards Manning not sure why.  Maybe that is the pure loyalty to the Colts and if so I totally get that.  I feel though that there are some that actually resent him.

Anyway to all, which ever way and how you root for...enjoy and so be it..it is your time you are spending.