Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Polian 'baffled,' Eventual Success, College Cornerbacks

Smitto

Bill Polian is quoted from the post-game radio show: “I’m baffled. Truthfully, it’s hard to envision with the kind of people we have upfront that we can be this porous in the secondary.” To that the writer adds, "Since when has Polian been so direct and honest about his football team? Polian is frustrated. Expect some changes."

http://www.indystar.com/article/20111010/SPORTS/111010001/Colts-Daily-Links-Polian-baffled-eventual-success-college-cornerbacks

I think that says it all on how bad the colts secondary played, not to mention with Powers getting injured... Im very dissapointed in kevin thomas this guy is forever injured.

Yeah, you can't have CB's playing paddy cakes all game... that was the reason we lost.. they could of made a few plays and we'd be a better off..

You could just imagine what the colts defense would have been like if they had an anchor at Corner

I've always heard that cornerback is one of the more difficult positions to scout. I guess we've been really unlucky with that. Tryon seemed OK, and I thought releasing Hayden was a mistake. You don't let good players go over inflated contracts. Yea, we saved some greenbacks, but we just got rid of a decent player for whom we had no replacement.

You could just imagine what the colts defense would have been like if they had an anchor at Corner

we gave up 119 yards to a 4th string back and a average of just over 5 per carry. i not sure a

lock down CB would cure that. jmo

Edited by LUVTHESHOE

we gave up 119 yards to a 4th string back and a average of just over 5 per carry. i not sure a

lock down would cure that. jmo

I blame injuries for our sudden decline against the run. Remember the Pitt game? Our run D was tight, since then, injury has torn the guts out of our D-line.

There are a lot of good DB's to be had in the top 2 rounds. If we're the top pick, trading down to get 2-3 of these guys would be amazing. Especially Dre, who plays a lot of zone coverage.

Now thats one area that Polian accels at over some other GM's, picking players that fit the scheme.

Bill Polian is quoted from the post-game radio show: “I’m baffled. Truthfully, it’s hard to envision with the kind of people we have upfront that we can be this porous in the secondary.” To that the writer adds, "Since when has Polian been so direct and honest about his football team? Polian is frustrated. Expect some changes."

http://www.indystar....ege-cornerbacks

I think that says it all on how bad the colts secondary played, not to mention with Powers getting injured... Im very dissapointed in kevin thomas this guy is forever injured.

Mr. Polian you are baffled? Well here's a news flash for you...we've been running the same old defensive scheme year in and year out. The Tampa 2 is obsolete. Teams know exactly what to expect, where the coverage weak zones will be, and how to best exploit it. Also you got rid of Tryon a solid guy in the secondary which was already perilously thin to begin with. We are starting Lacy who is in over his head and isn't more than a nickle or dime back. Yet you are baffled as to why coverage is so porous?

Whatever changes Polian might make won't matter if we continue to play soft coverage in Tampa 2 and as long as we retain Coyer as defensive coordinator. Even if they try to get more aggressive now, the secondary just doesn't have the personnel to pull it off effectively with our best corner Powers down and everyone else being so inexperienced. That points back to personnel which is a direct reflection of Polian and his offseason decisions regarding this particular area.

Edited by Coltsman1788

If Nevis played, we would have had a better run stop game.....

Our secondary is horrible....It's embarassing....We had a 17-7 lead going into the half and Matt Cassel threw the ball down the field like it was nothing and scored going into the half mkaing it 17-14

Then, thing just got out of control....Our secondary couldn't stop the pass....

We made Matt Cassell look like Drew Brees......

I hope that we get a new defensive coordinator or the front office allows the scheme to be changed. After 11 more games, I hope they see that the Tampa 2 defensive scheme of playing 12 yards of a receiver is no longer able to be done in the NFL. I severely doubt this is gonna happen and because of that, I don't wanna draft a CB because that would be a wasted pick.

Next season Colts need to get rid D.Caldwell, Lacey, and T. Johnson. Start Bethea and Powers. Use 2 high picks on DBs, 1 CB, 1 SS. Then use another late round pick on a CB.

If we end up with the #1pick, who knows what kind of crazy deals we will get.

http://www.indystar....ege-cornerbacks

I'm not exactly sure why he is "baffled".

What did he expect?

They got rid of Hayden, they cut Tryon. They have a Bill Polian 3rd round draft pick at CB that is a healthy scratch every week. They invested money on another injury prone safety who had to have a pin inserted into his shoulder last year and now he's hurt the shoulder again. They play a couple undrafted free agent rooks and Jacob Lacey. What exactly did he expect?

Edited by indy1888

If Nevis played, we would have had a better run stop game.....

Our secondary is horrible....It's embarassing....We had a 17-7 lead going into the half and Matt Cassel threw the ball down the field like it was nothing and scored going into the half mkaing it 17-14

Then, thing just got out of control....Our secondary couldn't stop the pass....

We made Matt Cassell look like Drew Brees......

Actually it was 24-14 at t5he half, we could core at all in the 2nd half

lock down CB would cure that. jmo

I would think that was due to injuries, they had brayton and anderson playing in the middle both arent true DT's.... Moala was in but he was questionable coming into the game cause he himself was injured... when nevis was healthy the colts were pretty stout against the run.. if the colts had a really good corner specifically on the right that in itself would bring down the other teams chances of 3rd down conversions alone.

What did he expect?

They got rid of Hayden, they cut Tryon. They have a Bill Polian 3rd round draft pick at CB that is a healthy scratch every week. They invested money on another injury prone safety who had to have a pin inserted into his shoulder last year and now he's hurt the shoulder again. They play a couple undrafted free agent rooks and Jacob Lacey. What exactly did he expect?

i think its the fact that they played so poorly against a cheifs offense that has been lacking... tbh rucker made a mistake on that TD but i would much rather him starting than lacey.... hopefully he gets the start soon, what i want an answer to is why is kevin thomas inactive, did he suffer another injury or what?

I would think that was due to injuries, they had brayton and anderson playing in the middle both arent true DT's.... Moala was in but he was questionable coming into the game cause he himself was injured... when nevis was healthy the colts were pretty stout against the run.. if the colts had a really good corner specifically on the right that in itself would bring down the other teams chances of 3rd down conversions alone.

I agree with you on that. but we have to way a way to quit turning 3rd and 4th string backs into jim brown. that is not just a this year problem that is a 3 or 4year problem.

Well Bill, welcome to the club.

We're baffled about the poor personnel choices in the secondary too. The players you trade for and select in the draft, can't beat out walk-on players. We're baffled by the idea that a 5'-10" 177 pound FA-CB named Jacob Lacey was expected to effectively cover the 6'-2" 221 pound WR Dwayne Bowe in the red zone. The same Jacob Lacey that has been abused by every QB/WR he's faced in the last year plus.

While we're at it; I was baffled by the decision to keep Terrance Johnson over Tommie Harris. How's that working out by the way?

--- Baffled in Boynton

i think its the fact that they played so poorly against a cheifs offense that has been lacking... tbh rucker made a mistake on that TD but i would much rather him starting than lacey.... hopefully he gets the start soon, what i want an answer to is why is kevin thomas inactive, did he suffer another injury or what?

I read somewhere he was a healthy inactive, WE have no understanding of whats going on behind the seems as IO dont know if those in power do

HERE

In addition, the third round pick in 2010 (Thomas) is a healthy scratch for the second straight week. Seriously, a third round pick can't beat out the ''immortal' Stevie Brown or Terrence Johnson?

http://www.stampedeb...-castonzo-nevis

Edited by bayone

Well Bill, welcome to the club.

We're baffled about the poor personnel choices in the secondary too. The players you trade for and select in the draft, can't beat out walk-on players. We're baffled by the idea that a 5'-10" 177 pound FA-CB named Jacob Lacey was expected to effectively cover the 6'-2" 221 pound WR Dwayne Bowe in the red zone. The same Jacob Lacey that has been abused by every QB/WR he's faced in the last year plus.

While we're at it; I was baffled by the decision to keep Terrance Johnson over Tommie Harris. How's that working out by the way?

--- Baffled in Boynton

and they pay bill big bucks for these decisions?

I have also been baffled at starting Caldwell over Lefeged!! Caldwell has hooves for hands. Lacey is a arena pro football player at best! And yes ive been screaming since it happened! Kelvin Hayden was the most consistent player that weve had in our secondary in like 10 yrs what is wrong with our MGMT!!!????

What did he expect?

Isnt this quote enought said?

what do people expect, They should of never cut justin tryon. All of the good dbs we had are gone. Bob sanders-(i know why hes gone) tim jennings. justin tryon, nick harper. kevin hayden. just image us with a health bob and these guys as our DB.

We need to go out and spend some money or draft picks on defence this up coming year

I blame injuries for our sudden decline against the run. Remember the Pitt game? Our run D was tight, since then, injury has torn the guts out of our D-line.

sudden??? the colts run defense has sucked since irsay let the goose walk out the door......

I have also been baffled at starting Caldwell over Lefeged!! Caldwell has hooves for hands. Lacey is a arena pro football player at best! And yes ive been screaming since it happened! Kelvin Hayden was the most consistent player that weve had in our secondary in like 10 yrs what is wrong with our MGMT!!!????

Hooves for hands?? :thmup: Hilarious! Maybe #44 is growing hooves as well.

Mr. Polian you are baffled? Well here's a news flash for you...we've been running the same old defensive scheme year in and year out. The Tampa 2 is obsolete. Teams know exactly what to expect, where the coverage weak zones will be, and how to best exploit it. Also you got rid of Tryon a solid guy in the secondary which was already perilously thin to begin with. We are starting Lacy who is in over his head and isn't more than a nickle or dime back. Yet you are baffled as to why coverage is so porous?

Whatever changes Polian might make won't matter if we continue to play soft coverage in Tampa 2 and as long as we retain Coyer as defensive coordinator. Even if they try to get more aggressive now, the secondary just doesn't have the personnel to pull it off effectively with our best corner Powers down and everyone else being so inexperienced. That points back to personnel which is a direct reflection of Polian and his offseason decisions regarding this particular area.

So wait: is it the Tampa 2 or the secondary?

I ask, because the right personnel makes the Tampa 2 work just fine. When we're healthy, this defense has shown it can stop anybody. When the offense gets shut down, our defense is stuck on the field more frequently, and thus they wear down.

Our defense had nothing to do with Curtis Painter only completing 4 2nd half passes, or our offense only putting up 30 yards until there was less than 5 minutes to go. The Tampa 2 worked until the 2nd half, despite being "obsolete."

The Tampa 2 worked against Pittsburgh just fine.

The Tampa 2 worked against Tampa Bay for 3 quarters.

The scheme is still fine. No scheme goes "obsolete"; in case you haven't noticed, the same basic schemes have been around forever. It's all about the coordinator and the personnel. Right now, we're not adjusting after a few quarters, and our personnel is lacking in the secondary.

Anyone who makes sweeping generalizations about a scheme is automatically disqualified from the conversation.

with the colt pass rush, i have never understood why the colts haven't drafted bigger cb's that can jam the receivers at the line (they could also tackle better against the run). they may get beat a couple times, but the pass rush would force turnovers also. you have to play to your strength.

I read somewhere he was a healthy inactive, WE have no understanding of whats going on behind the seems as IO dont know if those in power do

HERE

In addition, the third round pick in 2010 (Thomas) is a healthy scratch for the second straight week. Seriously, a third round pick can't beat out the ''immortal' Stevie Brown or Terrence Johnson?

http://www.stampedeb...-castonzo-nevis

My god well that says it all, that alone is a head scratcher... why would they?... im not even gonna say anything. Right now the way the colts are handling some situations is puzzling and very frustrating.

Now thats one area that Polian accels at over some other GM's, picking players that fit the scheme.

Chris Polian has been calling the shots lately according to "some local radio hosts"... if that is the case Irsay needs to stop the bleeding and make Bill get back on the job.

Im not sure why Kevin Thomas is not playing?? If i remember correctly he looked like the best CB in the pre-season out of all the 1st and 2nd year players we have. Im just baffled why he hasn't got a shot, it couldn't get any worse.

Thomas was inactive... and I agree... why?

I really think this organization lacks "leadership" with Manning gone. Everyone was quick to take credit when 18 was health, now nobody wants to take blame now that he is out. It is shocking the deficiencies Manning masked when healthy. Truly amazing really.

This organization needs a leader and not a player. A COACH............

Caldwell is not this man, I don't know who is but I know who I would like.

Jeff Fisher.

"If it isn't broke, don't fix it."

Is there an old adage about it being broke and not fixing it? Oh yeah...

"Insanity: The act of doing something over and over and expecting different results."

Glad I remembered that.

To me, the answer is simple. Nothing baffling at all about it.

What we're doing isn't working.

So don't do it.

Change the scheme. Change the philosophy. It can't get any worse than it has been already. Who knows? Maybe if we change the way we play coverage (or play Freeney and Mathis 50% of the time which just welcomes the offense to pass the ball) it might actually work and we wouldn't give up half a zillion yards in the air every game.

But of course the team will say that's not the answer, oh no. The answer, they'll say is benching Lacey. To start Johnson.

That'll get the problem fixed!

:facepalm: