Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trading Up (2014 Draft)

Any chance Grigson and Co. trade up this next draft? What position do you think we'd consider to trade up for? Are these dumb questions?

Honestly I see a lot of solid players especially on Oline that I'd love to see in a Colts uniform but if we are at least mediocre through this season we'll have no chance at grabbing someone, especially on Oline, that will drastically improve our team. Discuss.

Any chance Grigson and Co. trade up this next draft? What position do you think we'd consider to trade up for? Are these dumb questions?

Honestly I see a lot of solid players especially on Oline that I'd love to see in a Colts uniform but if we are at least mediocre through this season we'll have no chance at grabbing someone, especially on Oline, that will drastically improve our team. Discuss.

Bradley roby is probably the only person I would trade up for (assuming we don't get sam shields in the offseason). As for your question about the oline, I think if we get someone like veldheer,then there may be no need to trade up for a lineman

I really wanted to trade up for Luke Joeckel last year. If there is an early run on quarterbacks (a good possibility) then they could potentially move up and grab someone like Clowney. I just don't want to move up in the draft for someone on the o-line unless its an OT

Improve the o-line in FA and the defense in the draft.

Improve the o-line in FA and the defense in the draft.

I agree 100%. I know we have Angerer and Freeman but at some point I want a big bad, physically imposing ILB like Ray Lewis or Patrick Willis. I kind of always wondered about Vontaze Burfict, I think he could still redeem himself and be one of those types of players. Is there anyone in the draft that you would want that would be possible?

We may not have to trade up much to get an instant impact player. With the news of Dwayne Allen gone for the season, I could see this team struggling through the season, ending up with a 7-9 record. Dwayne was so versatile in both blocking and receiving so there is no way we are better without him. Plus DHB is out for a little so our weapons are dwindling a little.

Discuss... ? OK... yea good chance we trade up in the 7th round to draft a PK.

After the announcement of the Richardson trade,  I think the idea of trading up is much, much more difficult, if not impossible in the first round.

So....   now, we've traded our 1st round pick in 2014 and our 4th for Montori Hughes....    and we may have traded a 7 for a corner like Gordy.... (someone else?)   though I'm not sure....   that one is questionable...

After the announcement of the Richardson trade,  I think the idea of trading up is much, much more difficult, if not impossible in the first round.

So....   now, we've traded our 1st round pick in 2014 and our 4th for Montori Hughes....    and we may have traded a 7 for a corner like Gordy.... (someone else?)   though I'm not sure....   that one is questionable...

Maybe get the late rounder back with the Rayford trade ? Pretty obvious Grigson does not value draft picks as high as most other GM's. Worked well with the V Davis deal still but jury out on the Hughes deal .

This sucks...   it smells of desperation... 

I totally HATE his trade.

Everyone gets all bent out of shape about trading draft picks...if we were trading them for bums or guys who are past their prime, I could understand... but when we trade them for someone like Trent Richardson, it doesn't smell of desperation...Trent is from the same draft class as Luck, Fleener, Allen, Hilton etc   so he is still young and only adds to our rebuilding team.   The reason we struck out/missed on so many draft picks over the past several years, is because we were picking in the 20s of each round...when you pick that late, you miss out on all of the top talent and have to get lucky in order to find quality players...

By making this trade for Richardson, we have got a player with talent well beyond the draft position we will likely have over the next decade. People SHOULD be happy...but I think they get way too tied up with wanting to watch the draft, and trying to play armchair GM on who we should pick...making up their mock drafts etc...

To me, I could care less if we have ANY picks on draft day, as long as we are using those picks to fill the team with talented young players that are likely beyond our reach in the draft, anyhow!

In order to get top 10 talent, your team has to pretty much suck for the season, just to be able to draft that highly...we basically traded a mid/late first round pick, for top 5 talent today and the type of player we wont be in position to draft anytime soon.

Would you rather have Anthony Gonzalez, Donald Brown, Jerry Hughes, Tony Ugoh etc, or would you rather have Trent Richardson?   I've spent the past few years on here seeing everyone cry about how bad our RBs are....and today we get a true feature back, that has the talent to be a top 5 back in the entire NFL...to go with a QB who also has that talent...and now you're all upset because we traded a mid round pick for him?  Give me a break lol 

And to make this trade even better for US, we don't have to pay the signing bonus for Richardson...so he is actually the cheapest RB contract on our roster!

Guest TeamLoloJones

This maybe the best move any team has made all season/off season.  I think it's about a 95/5 split from outside fans that the Browns really botched this.  I get that you have reservations but Richardson has STUD written all over him.  He's 22 and built perfectly for this offense.  He's a pounder, good blocker, and great receiver.  He may be the best runningback in the entire NFL for Pep's Offense.  If Stanford had TRich instead of Stefan Taylor, and Toby Gerhart, Luck would have won 2 National Titles

Everyone gets all bent out of shape about trading draft picks...if we were trading them for bums or guys who are past their prime, I could understand... but when we trade them for someone like Trent Richardson, it doesn't smell of desperation...Trent is from the same draft class as Luck, Fleener, Allen, Hilton etc   so he is still young and only adds to our rebuilding team.   The reason we struck out/missed on so many draft picks over the past several years, is because we were picking in the 20s of each round...when you pick that late, you miss out on all of the top talent and have to get lucky in order to find quality players...

By making this trade for Richardson, we have got a player with talent well beyond the draft position we will likely have over the next decade. People SHOULD be happy...but I think they get way too tied up with wanting to watch the draft, and trying to play armchair GM on who we should pick...making up their mock drafts etc...

To me, I could care less if we have ANY picks on draft day, as long as we are using those picks to fill the team with talented young players that are likely beyond our reach in the draft, anyhow!

In order to get top 10 talent, your team has to pretty much suck for the season, just to be able to draft that highly...we basically traded a mid/late first round pick, for top 5 talent today and the type of player we wont be in position to draft anytime soon.

Would you rather have Anthony Gonzalez, Donald Brown, Jerry Hughes, Tony Ugoh etc, or would you rather have Trent Richardson?   I've spent the past few years on here seeing everyone cry about how bad our RBs are....and today we get a true feature back, that has the talent to be a top 5 back in the entire NFL...to go with a QB who also has that talent...and now you're all upset because we traded a mid round pick for him?  Give me a break lol 

And to make this trade even better for US, we don't have to pay the signing bonus for Richardson...so he is actually the cheapest RB contract on our roster!

It's a no brainer good move.  

As far as salary , he averages around 2.2 million over this and the next two years The 4th year will become expensive if the Colts use their 5th year option. It would be the average of the 10 highest paid RBs in the league. Today that would mean about 7 mill per year I think. Ballard will be much cheaper when he returns and Williams is about 400K. 

Maybe get the late rounder back with the Rayford trade ? Pretty obvious Grigson does not value draft picks as high as most other GM's. Worked well with the V Davis deal still but jury out on the Hughes deal .

Yes....   I think we get 7's back for Shipley and Rayford....    although I think -- and I want to stress the word think -- that one of them (Rayford?)  is in 2015 and not '14....

Yes....   I think we get 7's back for Shipley and Rayford....    although I think -- and I want to stress the word think -- that one of them (Rayford?)  is in 2015 and not '14....

Pretty sure you're dead on with that. I think the Rayford trade was for 2015.

LOL with this Grigson guy. We'll have enough left to draft a PK and a KR come next year. I'm OK with it as I'll go fishing the first day of next year's draft. 

We have to know who we want and go after him.  But sometimes trading up can be a good idea, the Falcon's trade up for Julio Jones turned out to be a great decision for them.  

I agree 100%. I know we have Angerer and Freeman but at some point I want a big bad, physically imposing ILB like Ray Lewis or Patrick Willis. I kind of always wondered about Vontaze Burfict, I think he could still redeem himself and be one of those types of players. Is there anyone in the draft that you would want that would be possible?

I have thought the same thing. Someone I have looked into is Andrew Jackson, ILB, Western Kentucky.

We don't have the pieces to do any serious trading up....

We've already traded our 1st and 4th round picks for 2014....

So,  the only trade-up I see the Colts doing is in the 5th round.    Since we traded our 4th R pick,  we'd be going more than 50 picks on the 3rd day of the draft without picking anyone.    So, I see the Colts trading a 5th round pick in 2015 so we can move up roughly 15-20 slots toward the top of the 5th round.    Otherwise, too much good 3rd day talent will have passed us by....

But,  that's the only trade I can see for right now in the 2014 draft.    It's not sexy or exciting,  but it's smart.

We don't have the pieces to do any serious trading up....

We've already traded our 1st and 4th round picks for 2014....

So,  the only trade-up I see the Colts doing is in the 5th round.    Since we traded our 4th R pick,  we'd be going more than 50 picks on the 3rd day of the draft without picking anyone.    So, I see the Colts trading a 5th round pick in 2015 so we can move up roughly 15-20 slots toward the top of the 5th round.    Otherwise, too much good 3rd day talent will have passed us by....

But,  that's the only trade I can see for right now in the 2014 draft.    It's not sexy or exciting,  but it's smart.

and if we choose wisely we can find a player that can contribute in that round....perhaps not a future starter but a solid rotational piece or perhaps even another Scat Back

and if we choose wisely we can find a player that can contribute in that round....perhaps not a future starter but a solid rotational piece or perhaps even another Scat Back

Yes.....   very much agreed.....     there could be an inside linebacker, a safety,  a scat-back,   a WR....    all sorts of possibilities at the top of the 5th round....

I'd like the Colts to come out of the 2014 draft with 3 potential starters from our picks, to go with Richardson and Hughes...  five in all...    and the picks in the 6th and 7th round can be quality depth....

I don't think it's a desperation trade. . . I think it was overvaluing a RB, because I don't think an RB is worth a first unless he's a game breaker like AP, but not a desperation trade.

If he was 29 years old, I'd say it was a desperation trade.  But this kid is 22 has 3 years of playing RB for us on a very cheap contract.  And even after that we can re-sign him on a 4 or 5 year deal and he'll still be in his prime playing age.  

And given that we arn't going to rely on him to run the ball on nearly every down his career will likely be longer with us.  

Blue you nailed all to a T.

That 4th for Montori Hughes?  Griggs must seriously like his potential. He rolls the dice on him I have no doubt because he likes his chances of becoming a good starter. It could take him 2-3 years to become that player, but that may be when we will need him to play a lot.

Again, Steelers, Ravens and other franchises historically drafted for the future and develope their players.

I like Griggs aquiring now,  talent he feels strongly about. And Very happy how he paid a little extra for Hilton.

We need those players here ASAP to get them ready to compete with the best while Luck is cheap and Reggie is still a talent.

I could see Griggs moving up in the 3rd to get an O-Lineman he likes. I think he hit the jackpot in the 3rd with our G this year .

An ILB in rd 2 would be my expectation. Of course a young proven ready to go Vet FA would be better.

Extend Vontae Davis, DHB & Antoine Bethea

Sign Rolando McClain

Trade for Josh Gordon

Draft (might have to trade up) Khalil Mack

I think that is a complete team that could compete for championships. What are your thoughts?

Like all of it except , we are already out a 1st rounder, would probably be out a 2nd rounder for Gordon, rather get a wr in the 2nd round

Like all of it except , we are already out a 1st rounder, would probably be out a 2nd rounder for Gordon, rather get a wr in the 2nd round

I would trade all our picks for a Trent Richardson and Josh Gordon combination. The Browns would have a really explosive/successful offense if they had a QB. Gordon is yet another young talent to grow with Luck. With a trade for Gordon, the Colts have the ability to have the most dominant offense in the league and tons of talent on defense as well. Give Luck weapons and a defense and watch him destroy offenses for the next decade en route to several Superbowls.

Sign Rolando McClain

Trade for Josh Gordon

I think that is a complete team that could compete for championships. What are your thoughts?

We have Rogers who has the potential and can grow with luck if they just give him a chance

Sign Rolando McClain

Trade for Josh Gordon

I would pass on McClain

We have Rogers who has the potential and can grow with luck if they just give him a chance

I think absolute best case scenario Rogers becomes a #2. I think more realistically Rogers becomes a 3rd option on the outside. I think Gordon could be a legitimate #1 or one of the best #2 wrs in the league.

I would pass on McClain

Just curious, why?

I think absolute best case scenario Rogers becomes a #2. I think more realistically Rogers becomes a 3rd option on the outside. I think Gordon could be a legitimate #1 or one of the best #2 wrs in the league.

Just curious, why?

His play was mediocre in Oakland and he has proven to be a knucklehead off the field.

His play was mediocre in Oakland and he has proven to be a knucklehead off the field.

McClain was considered a slam-dunk pick. The problem is two fold. The first part is a lack of talent on Oakland's team and the second was McClain became a dominant prospect as a 3-4 ILB, not a 4-3 MLB. As far as being a knucklehead he seems to have finally turned a corner. He seems to be making better life choices right now and keep in mind he is still extremely young. He's only 24 I believe and he has immense potential.

McClain was considered a slam-dunk pick. The problem is two fold. The first part is a lack of talent on Oakland's team and the second was McClain became a dominant prospect as a 3-4 ILB, not a 4-3 MLB. As far as being a knucklehead he seems to have finally turned a corner. He seems to be making better life choices right now and keep in mind he is still extremely young. He's only 24 I believe and he has immense potential.

The list of slam dunk picks being busts is pretty long.....Aaron Curry comes to mind. The only thing he has proven is he manages to stay out of trouble when at the university of alabama. I wouldn't be upset if he was brought in, but I think that is a long shot.

I see no reason why they shouldn't bring him. If they bring him in then he certainly has the talent to not only be a starter, but a star. McClain has to want to succeed and I think he's starting to figure that out and put things together.

The list of slam dunk picks being busts is pretty long.....Aaron Curry comes to mind. The only thing he has proven is he manages to stay out of trouble when at the university of alabama. I wouldn't be upset if he was brought in, but I think that is a long shot.

I see no reason why they shouldn't bring him. If they bring him in then he certainly has the talent to not only be a starter, but a star. McClain has to want to succeed and I think he's starting to figure that out and put things together.

Has he indicated he will be coming back to play at any point as he is "retired". As for turning the corner he's sung that song a few times already.

Has he indicated he will be coming back to play at any point as he is "retired". As for turning the corner he's sung that song a few times already.

I'm not sure if there is any indication he wants to return but you never know. I think saying he's grown up on a terrible Raiders team should always be taken with a grain of salt. I think he is legitimately trying to be a man now.

We have to know who we want and go after him.  But sometimes trading up can be a good idea, the Falcon's trade up for Julio Jones turned out to be a great decision for them.  

Really unusual for a team to trade up when they are so short on picks. Trading down is a far more likely scenario.