Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck knows the 49ers defense

BlueShoe

I am not sure why so many people believe the Colts are going to lose.

Vic Fangio used to be our DC when Mora was the head coach and now he is the 49ers DC. Many may remember that Mora was fired because he refused to fire Fangio, 

Fangio was the DC at Stanford in 2010 and followed Harbaugh to the NFL. 

Luck practiced against Fangio's defense the entire 2010 season and he has a photographic memory. I do not think Stanford changed the defense in 2011 when Derek Mason took over either. We are going to light that secondary up all day long.

This is why I believe we are going to score often. Luck might throw for over 400 yards and 5 TD's.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vic Fangio used to be our DC when Mora was the head coach and now he is the 49ers DC. Many may remember that Mora was fired because he refused to fire Fangio, 

Luck practiced against Fangio's defense the entire 2010 season and he has a photographic memory. I do not think Stanford changed the defense in 2011 when Derek Mason took over either. We are going to light that secondary up all day long.

This is why I believe we are going to score often. Luck might throw for over 400 yards and 5 TD's.

Don't get over confident though cause some people consider that as being cocky. I think it will be a good game as long as we don't have those same mistake as the last two games.

What's Harbaugh going to tell his team? That Luck is a good player? Sure they will know some of our offense, but the advantage is still goes to Luck, because he isn't facing anything new.

What is Luck going to say....

Luck: "Hey McGlynn, Willis is going to blitz.  I can tell, I practiced against their D-coordinator a few years ago."

McGlynn:  "OK, I got him"

The result of the play is McGlynn with a broken ego.

There is an epic fail in logic here. 

The game might be a good one or maybe even a blowout, but that will have very little to do with anything written in your thread.

And Harbaugh clearly knows the Pep Hamilton-Stanford offense..

And SF's defense is clearly more talented than than our offense..

What's Harbaugh going to tell his team? That Luck is a good player? Sure they will know some of our offense, but the advantage is still goes to Luck, because he isn't facing anything new.

so wait...we have an advtange cause Luck nows their D, but we dont have a disadvantage cause Harbaugh nows our O?

im confused people.

Wah wah wah...

I really hope all of you who are basically saying we stand no chance won't watch the game on Sunday.. I mean what's the point since you already know we are going to lose.

It would save us from your cry baby threads if we do lose, and you're back tracking "ohhhh I actually had a feeling we were going to win" posts if we do win.

No appreciation for the sport, straight up.

He's facing probably the best all around defense he's ever faced in his entire life.  That in itself is enough.  

Talent wins in the NFL, especially when it's well coached. The Niners have a very talented and well coached defense. It's great that Luck is familiar with some of the schemes, but there's a two year book on the Niners defense on film. I really believe there's only a minimal advantage to Luck being somewhat familiar with it, if that.

On the other hand, Harbaugh is Luck's old coach, and Hamilton's old boss. If anyone has an advantage because of familiarity, it's the Niners.

Again, talent wins in the NFL, so I think this is all moot anyways.

Talent wins in the NFL, especially when it's well coached. The Niners have a very talented and well coached defense. It's great that Luck is familiar with some of the schemes, but there's a two year book on the Niners defense on film. I really believe there's only a minimal advantage to Luck being somewhat familiar with it, if that.

On the other hand, Harbaugh is Luck's old coach, and Hamilton's old boss. If anyone has an advantage because of familiarity, it's the Niners.

Again, talent wins in the NFL, so I think this is all moot anyways.

If Peyton played a cover 2 defense this week then what do you believe the outcome would be? 

Defenses have the advantage against young quarterbacks because they have not seen a lot of defenses. This is not the case with Luck, as he has seen this defense up and close. The advantage is ours. 

If Peyton played a cover 2 defense this week then what do you believe the outcome would be? 

Defenses have the advantage against young quarterbacks because they have not seen a lot of defenses. This is not the case with Luck, as he has seen this defense up and close. The advantage is ours. 

Cover 2 is simple. If Luck played against a Cover 2, it would be in his favor. Same with any quarterback, especially a young one.

I get that Luck knowing some of the looks and whatnot is an advantage for him, to an extent. I just don't think it's about the scheme and knowing the looks at this point. I think it's about the talent. And the Niners defense is very, very talented.

Not saying we can't win, or Luck isn't going to play well. Just saying that the talent level on that defense is more important than any advantage we might think Luck has because of being familiar with it. IMO

He's facing probably the best all around defense he's ever faced in his entire life.  That in itself is enough.  

San Fran defense is not exactly setting the world on fire right now. They are 24th against the run and 10th against the pass. When a team is not doing well against the run and is on paper, good against the pass, then we know all to well what that really means. It means that teams are running on them for a reason. They have given up 4 passing touchdowns and 3 rushing touchdowns in 2 games. 

The stat that sticks out more than anything is how they have given up 42 first downs (15 against the run and 21 against the pass). This should sound familiar, because it is very close to what the Colts have given up, and we know that we have had our own issues. But we are a young team that is in the early stages of gelling as a cohesive unit. The 49ers defense has been intact for a while now. I believe we will exploit them on the ground and through the air. 

Where the 49ers have done well is on third down defense, but that stat can be misleading because we don't know the down and distance average. I would think the down and distance on third downs for the 49ers defense has been long, because they have given up more first downs than we have. On the other hand, our offense is THIRD in the entire league at converting third downs. Something is going to give Sunday, and my money is on Andrew Luck converting third downs and winning this game. 

Cover 2 is simple. If Luck played against a Cover 2, it would be in his favor. Same with any quarterback, especially a young one.

I get that Luck knowing some of the looks and whatnot is an advantage for him, to an extent. I just don't think it's about the scheme and knowing the looks at this point. I think it's about the talent. And the Niners defense is very, very talented.

Not saying we can't win, or Luck isn't going to play well. Just saying that the talent level on that defense is more important than any advantage we might think Luck has because of being familiar with it. IMO

That worked out real well for Alex Smith as a rookie, didn't it?

Who is the third best team at converting third downs this season?