Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Drake Nevis

1959Colts

Drake Nevis makes plays. It doesn't matter if he's lined up over tackle, in the B gap, or in the A gap, he just balls out. To my eye, he is a top 3 Dlineman on this team and should be starting over Redding. I don't think politics goes into his lack of playing time, Grigson is above that, but the defense is better when he's on the field. He is not a strict pass rusher either, he stuffs the run just as well. Just because he's not your typical 6'4 DE doesn't mean he can't make plays, I don't think those 3 inches really matter that much. His low center of gravity can be advantageous. Does anyone think Geno Atkins couldn't play in a 3-4? Even still, the actual base defense is only used about 1/3 of the time anyway.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Ricardo Mathews stood out in the Bengals game for being bullied on the run D front. Rico is gone, Nevis stays, is what I think ends up happening.

Nevis, if you put him in a pure run stopper role, he will fail. However, if you put him next to a run stopper, or put him in passing downs, he will thrive big time, IMO. So, there is a role for him in our DL rotation, UT and pass rusher in 4 man fronts, that Pagano tends to play half the time.

Rico, however, when Moala comes back, can't play the 3-4 DE as well as him, and can't play the 4-3 UT as well as Nevis. So, either way, he sticks out as the odd man out, IMO.

I agree, while he's stayed healthy and able to stick around I always thought he was a few notches below both Nevis and Moala. I'd actually like to keep MTV over him. Just for our NT depth

Drake Nevis makes plays. It doesn't matter if he's lined up over tackle, in the B gap, or in the A gap, he just balls out. To my eye, he is a top 3 Dlineman on this team and should be starting over Redding. I don't think politics goes into his lack of playing time, Grigson is above that, but the defense is better when he's on the field. He is not a strict pass rusher either, he stuffs the run just as well. Just because he's not your typical 6'4 DE doesn't mean he can't make plays, I don't think those 3 inches really matter that much. His low center of gravity can be advantageous. Does anyone think Geno Atkins couldn't play in a 3-4? Even still, the actual base defense is only used about 1/3 of the time anyway.

Then why worry if Nevis starts or not if the Colts won't be in the base that much?

I have no idea if Adtkins could play in a 34 or not. The Raiders thought Warren Sapp could....they were wrong.

Then why worry if Nevis starts or not if the Colts won't be in the base that much?

I have no idea if Adtkins could play in a 34 or not. The Raiders thought Warren Sapp could....they were wrong.

Because even when they aren't in base they still have Redding out there 95% of the time, even though Nevis gets more penetration and makes more plays. By the amount of playing time he gets, Nevis is a fringe player. I know, we fans don't know s***.....it's not as if scouts and GMs are above making mistakes though. 

Sapp didn't fail in Oakland, he had 10 sacks in '06....although I can't exactly remember if they were 3-4 or 4-3. A lot of it is semantics and it doesn't really matter anyway.

Because even when they aren't in base they still have Redding out there 95% of the time, even though Nevis gets more penetration and makes more plays. By the amount of playing time he gets, Nevis is a fringe player. I know, we fans don't know s***.....it's not as if scouts and GMs are above making mistakes though. 

Sapp didn't fail in Oakland, he had 10 sacks in '06....although I can't exactly remember if they were 3-4 or 4-3. A lot of it is semantics and it doesn't really matter anyway.

He had 10 sacks when the raiders moved back to a 43 .

MISTAKE At least trade the guy!!

Whose to say they didn't try to trade and couldn't find a trade partner?  If teams know you looking to trade a guy right now odds are if they just wait a few hours or a day he'll be on the open market and they can pick him up without having to give up anything for him. 

Whose to say they didn't try to trade and couldn't find a trade partner?  If teams know you looking to trade a guy right now odds are if they just wait a few hours or a day he'll be on the open market and they can pick him up without having to give up anything for him. 

True, but a 6th round pick guarantees you get his services instead of playing the waiver claim game.

True, but a 6th round pick guarantees you get his services instead of playing the waiver claim game.

My guess is that they don't think he was worth a sixth round pick.  I think teams would like to have Nevis but they feel like they can live without him if they don't get him off waivers.  It's not like we cut the second coming Warren Sapp here. 

For the life of me I can't figure out how this Ricardo Matthews always manages to fool the coaching staff into keeping him on the roster. I can't think of a single game where I said "Ricardo Matthews is really getting after it out there".  What they see in him I don't have a clue! Keeping Matthews over Nevis is puzzling to me.

My guess is that they don't think he was worth a sixth round pick.  I think teams would like to have Nevis but they feel like they can live without him if they don't get him off waivers.  It's not like we cut the second coming Warren Sapp here. 

Warren Sapp was just the first coming of Drake Nevis.  :nutz:

I get the impression we are going to have more 3-4 influence in the defense now that we are getting the correct personnel in. I just have a hard time believing that Josh Gordy has trade value and Nevis doesn't. Granted, the Gordy acquisition was out of necessity where Nevis can be a luxury for someone.

For the life of me I can't figure out how this Ricardo Matthews always manages to fool the coaching staff into keeping him on the roster. I can't think of a single game where I said "Ricardo Matthews is really getting after it out there".  What they see in him I don't have a clue! Keeping Matthews over Nevis is puzzling to me.

I'm not the biggest fan of Matthews either but he does do a good job of getting pressure up the middle.  He's not very good, imo, as a 3-4 DE but neither was Nevis.  I would say Nevis was just a little bit better at both than Matthews.  The one area Matthews is superior though is health.  He doesn't have the injury history that Nevis, or Moala for that matter have, and I bet that definitely went into the decision.

I liked Nevis a lot too and didn't want to see him get cut.  Like Superman, I would have preferred they kept him because I do believe he has a higher overall ceiling than a guy like Matthews.  However Matthews is still pretty good quality depth and for an interior pass rusher.

Drake Nevis was a favorite of many .... sad to see him go.  He will get picked up immediately if not sooner so I just hope we don't see him spill out to our division,,,,,ugh.  He can be an all-out go getter at times. I thought he was a steal in the draft.  to slice him off without a trade is surprising but perhaps there are some things we don't know about him that will come out later and then we can all feel better again.  In the mean time, I'm sure slicing his salary out of the mix had something to do with it as well (along with injury worries and run-stopping abilities.)  This wasn't his last meal, although I'm sure he'll do a last supper at St. Elmo's and when he gets all teary eyed there tomorrow night, it's not because of his soft emotions, it's because of the bleeping shrimp sauce!!!!

So you don't trust the coaches and FO to determine the best 53 for this team? You know better? I'd be furious if they sabotaged the future of the team to keep a guy just because fans thought he looked very good.

If he's in the final 53, I dig it. But I'm not going to get all emotional if they decide he's expendable.

Read through the whole thread...this was the most reasonable post.

Thats why they call him Schwamm.

I know man...I thought that Lawrence Guy is clearly outplaying him. Plus, he was AHEAD in the depth chart!

So you don't trust the coaches and FO to determine the best 53 for this team? You know better? I'd be furious if they sabotaged the future of the team to keep a guy just because fans thought he looked very good.

If he's in the final 53, I dig it. But I'm not going to get all emotional if they decide he's expendable.

Thank you  :td: ,  but interjecting common sense may fly over the head of some .

Its funny how the Colts brain trust did'nt consult with fans last year & they succeeded so well . They must of just been Lucky .

Colts sports writer George Bremer suggests that Drake Nevis could be the odd man out on the DL.

https://twitter.com/gmbremer

I hope they don't cut Nevis. He is one of our best pass rushers.

Nevis went to San Diego where he will tear us a new _____________.  But that's ok, at least he is not in our division.  I will miss that guy.  He was absolutely a beast and a terror to opposing offenses.  You basically have to game plan around him.  I can imagine the news and waves he's going to make.  The boards in San Diego are lighting up, they can't believe they slole him like they did.  Newspapers as well. !!!