Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Drake Nevis

1959Colts

I have found George Bremer to be one of the most reliable sources of inside information, in and around Colts camp.

Here he is speculating about Nevis. I just hope he is wrong on this one.

Sounds like he has been a good guesser. He has over-reached with Nevis getting cut. Something's wrong with his medula oblongata!

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand why they don't utilize his speed more.  I would line the guy up more on the outside and let this guy use his speed and power.  I would honestly move him around and even have him pass rush at OLB, hes to big and fast to keep lining him up on the inside.

I'll be furious if we release him. He's been nothing but very good.

So you don't trust the coaches and FO to determine the best 53 for this team? You know better? I'd be furious if they sabotaged the future of the team to keep a guy just because fans thought he looked very good.

If he's in the final 53, I dig it. But I'm not going to get all emotional if they decide he's expendable.

Colts sports writer George Bremer suggests that Drake Nevis could be the odd man out on the DL.

https://twitter.com/gmbremer

I hope they don't cut Nevis. He is one of our best pass rushers.

The reason he gave was that Nevis was a hang over from before Pagano/Grigson but that seems implausible since Matthews and Tevaseu are in that same boat and both of those guys have had considerable playing time as Colts and will never be more than 3rd stringers playing a few downs. Nevis has more potential than those 2 guys and as least as much potential as Lawerence Guy. If he's cut i'll be shocked and it will lower my opinion of Pagano.

The reason he gave was that Nevis was a hang over from before Pagano/Grigson but that seems implausible since Matthews and Tevaseu are in that same boat and both of those guys have had considerable playing time as Colts and will never be more than 3rd stringers playing a few downs. Nevis has more potential than those 2 guys and as least as much potential as Lawerence Guy. If he's cut i'll be shocked and it will lower my opinion of Pagano.

That was Bremer's reasoning? Lol. I guess Reggie, Castonzo, Bethea and Mathis better watch out.

That's just foolish pride if that is their reason for cutting Nevis. I hope he makes the cut.

It's nonsense by the writer (I think) he's reaching to impress that he knows something. If Drake's play had been so so to this point I might lend credibility but unless his stinks it up against the Bengals I don't see how they can justify it.

Its possible he gets cut but it would take something unforseen for that to happen, They would likely get rid of Guy or even Hughes before Nevis I think.....I think all 3 have a good chance to make the 53

Cutting Nevis would be dumb...but Hughes is the political keeper because they paid next year's 4th for him, even though he plays like a fat lazy slug half the time.

The reason he gave was that Nevis was a hang over from before Pagano/Grigson but that seems implausible since Matthews and Tevaseu Moala are in that same boat and both of those guys have had considerable playing time as Colts and will never be more than 3rd stringers playing a few downs. Nevis has more potential than those 2 guys and as least as much potential as Lawerence Guy. If he's cut i'll be shocked and it will lower my opinion of Pagano.

there we go, that's better :)  Not to mention Mathis, Bethea, Angerer, Conner, and Lefeged who are also defensive carry-overs from the old regime.  :)

I've learned that most sports writers and "experts" know far less than the average fan. No way Nevis gets waived, he would get traded before that happens. e.g. I can see him packaged in a trade for a RG, to a team that needs a 4-3 DT or 3-4 DE.

Bremer is wrong again!

Nevis is our best interior pass rusher and he's good against the run no way he gets cut. Nevis does have the best trade value we could get at least a 4th for him from a team like the Cowboys but he's to valuable to the team. I do think will keep 3 NT's given the injury history of Franklin and Chapman, Hughes will make the team. It'll come down to Guy and Matthews but i imo Guy is the better player and pass rusher. This is how the lineup should be.

DE:Redding,Guy

NT:Franklin,Chapman,Hughes

DE:RJF,Nevis

Tevasue will be on the practice squad.

Tevasue is not practice squad eligible. 

It wouldnt suprise me if Nevis got cut. Wouldnt agree with it, but wouldnt be suprised. He performs pretty well in games, but for some reason it seems like the new regime just doesnt favor him over players like Guy and Mathews. His injury history is a concern as well. Hope he makes it because hes got potential and is still so young.

The biggest problem for Nevis is that he just doesn't fit our defense and he does struggle to stay healthy. With that said all he does is make play you want a guy like that on you're team.

We run a hybrid front. He fits our defense as well as the nose tackles do. He's good and holds strong against the run, and he has pass rushing skills. As much as we sub our defensive linemen, there's no way that Nevis isn't a good fit. He'd be better in a pure 1-gap defense as a tackle, but that doesn't mean we should just cut him. I think he's easily one of the best seven or eight on our roster, and I don't see why we wouldn't keep him. JMO.

He has had injury issues, so that's a demerit, I suppose. But he's healthy now. Might as well use him.

We run a hybrid front. He fits our defense as well as the nose tackles do. He's good and holds strong against the run, and he has pass rushing skills. As much as we sub our defensive linemen, there's no way that Nevis isn't a good fit. He'd be better in a pure 1-gap defense as a tackle, but that doesn't mean we should just cut him. I think he's easily one of the best seven or eight on our roster, and I don't see why we wouldn't keep him. JMO.

He has had injury issues, so that's a demerit, I suppose. But he's healthy now. Might as well use him.

Superman there is a reason why everyone who covers the Colts says he doesn't fit our defense.  Heck Grigson was on 1070 last week and said he wasn't the perfect fit for their defense but his high motor helps make up for it. 

I like Nevis I think since he has proven he makes all these plays there should be a spot on this team for him.  However, when the GM goes on the local radio in Indianapolis and says you aren't a perfect fit for the defense that pretty much settles the argument.  Now with that said, rather he's a perfect fit for the defense or not he makes plays in it and frankly that should matter a lot more than if someone "fits" the defense or not. 

Superman there is a reason why everyone who covers the Colts says he doesn't fit our defense.  Heck Grigson was on 1070 last week and said he wasn't the perfect fit for their defense but his high motor helps make up for it. 

I like Nevis I think since he has proven he makes all these plays there should be a spot on this team for him.  However, when the GM goes on the local radio in Indianapolis and says you aren't a perfect fit for the defense that pretty much settles the argument.  Now with that said, rather he's a perfect fit for the defense or not he makes plays in it and frankly that should matter a lot more than if someone "fits" the defense or not. 

I don't hear much local Indy radio, so I didn't hear Grigson's comments. I'd like to listen to or read them, if you have a link or a transcript.

Even still, at his best, Nevis is a three-tech. We use the three-tech in some of our fronts. Even if it's just 10 snaps a game (it's more like 30, but that's not the point), he's a great fit at three-tech. He holds his own at five-tech, and can play one-tech in a pinch. He's much more versatile than I expected he'd be, because when we first started talking about changing to a 3-4 front, I figured he'd be one of the odd men out. But he's done much better than I expected.

Perhaps that's exclusively because of his high motor and excellent effort, and maybe that's best in short spurts as a sub lineman (same could be said for a nose tackle, who is used situationally). I don't know. What I do know is that he plays his butt off, and he's certainly a liability, and like you said, he makes plays when he's given reps. I don't think he's a bad fit, even if he's technically not the type of lineman we'd put in this system.

If we were willing to pay Freeney $14m, it doesn't make sense to drop Nevis. He fits better than Freeney, costs a heck of a lot less, and is still young enough to continue adjusting to our system.

Superman there is a reason why everyone who covers the Colts says he doesn't fit our defense. Heck Grigson was on 1070 last week and said he wasn't the perfect fit for their defense but his high motor helps make up for it.

I like Nevis I think since he has proven he makes all these plays there should be a spot on this team for him. However, when the GM goes on the local radio in Indianapolis and says you aren't a perfect fit for the defense that pretty much settles the argument. Now with that said, rather he's a perfect fit for the defense or not he makes plays in it and frankly that should matter a lot more than if someone "fits" the defense or not.

Well Pagano said he loved Nevis's motor and that Nevis is great for an interior pass rush in our 4 man front nickel and dime packages. I'll take Pagano's word over our former O-Line GM's. ;)

Like superman said, we run a hybrid front. Nevis may not be the best fit in the 2 gap 3-4 schemes but we don't run those schemes exclusively. HD can be good for depth there but his primary value is in the nickel and dime formations where they use more 1 gap principles. And considering how this is a passing league now and call that I imagine we'll see more nickel than base 3-4 over the course of the year.

I never understood the whole debate if a player is a good "fit" or not. Here's some simple football algebra...

Good Fit = Makes Plays; Bad Fit = Doesn't Make Plays;

Drake Nevis = Makes Plays; Therefore, Drake Nevis = Good Fit.

Well Pagano said he loved Nevis's motor and that Nevis is great for an interior pass rush in our 4 man front nickel and dime packages. I'll take Pagano's word over our former O-Line GM's. ;)

Like superman said, we run a hybrid front. Nevis may not be the best fit in the 2 gap 3-4 schemes but we don't run those schemes exclusively. HD can be good for depth there but his primary value is in the nickel and dime formations where they use more 1 gap principles. And considering how this is a passing league now and call that I imagine we'll see more nickel than base 3-4 over the course of the year.

I might be getting this wrong, but I believe we were in nickel 53% of the time last year. Something like that. Of course, some of those are 335 packages, or 245 packages, which aren't necessarily 1 gap packages. But still, in passing situations, a guy who can be disruptive and get pressure from the interior seems like a great fit.

I know he was drafted to be an undertackle, and that's what he's best at. But he does fine in most of our fronts, I think. It's the base 3-4 that he's not ideal in, in comparison with some of our other linemen, but because of his motor, he still performs adequately there, even on running downs.

I might be getting this wrong, but I believe we were in nickel 53% of the time last year. Something like that. Of course, some of those are 335 packages, or 245 packages, which aren't necessarily 1 gap packages. But still, in passing situations, a guy who can be disruptive and get pressure from the interior seems like a great fit.

I know he was drafted to be an undertackle, and that's what he's best at. But he does fine in most of our fronts, I think. It's the base 3-4 that he's not ideal in, in comparison with some of our other linemen, but because of his motor, he still performs adequately there, even on running downs.

I agree.  I remember last year against teams like the Packers and Patriots we were in Nickel pretty much the whole game, and I think it will be the same way this year against those types of teams.  

I was watching one of the games last week, I believe it was the Saints game, but Brian Billick was one of the analysts.  The other analyst asked him about the difference between the 4-3 and 3-4 in reference to the Saints changing schemes, and Billick said that the differences were largely blown out of proportion.  Sure there are differences, but not the extent that most people make them out to be, and that most 3-4 teams only actually run their 3-4 base defense around 25% of the time because of the way the game has changed into being more of a passing league. 

you may have been thinking of Moala. He came from USC, which did run a 3-4 while he was there and he was a DE in their system, but became a DT when Polian drafted him. :)

Nah, I knew that. I was just thinking LSU vs Alabama I swore both ran a 3-4 defense guess I was wrong. And then Kelvin Sheppard was LSU product and when he was in buffalo he did well in their 3-4 so I figured he ran that at LSU too

I thought Ricardo Mathews stood out in the Bengals game for being bullied on the run D front. Rico is gone, Nevis stays, is what I think ends up happening.

Nevis, if you put him in a pure run stopper role, he will fail. However, if you put him next to a run stopper, or put him in passing downs, he will thrive big time, IMO. So, there is a role for him in our DL rotation, UT and pass rusher in 4 man fronts, that Pagano tends to play half the time.

Rico, however, when Moala comes back, can't play the 3-4 DE as well as him, and can't play the 4-3 UT as well as Nevis. So, either way, he sticks out as the odd man out, IMO.