Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Drake Nevis

1959Colts

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Colts sports writer George Bremer suggests that Drake Nevis could be the odd man out on the DL.

https://twitter.com/gmbremer

I hope they don't cut Nevis. He is one of our best pass rushers.

He's been great so far.  But how much has he played against first teams?  It seems to me like he's always in the second half.

I can't see how they let a young guy like that go.

Lawrence Guy had 22 tackles the past 6 games (including last season and playoffs). He's also 6'4'' 318 lbs, only 23 years old.

IMO this should be our lineup:

DE: Redding, Guy

NT: Franklin, Chapman

DE: Francois, Nevis, Hughes

That's 7.

Moala will probably be #8, or on IR.

Most likely to be cut is Richardo Matthews and Martin Tevaseu. Both are 3rd stringers.

We're all (including me) assuming Hughes makes the team.  I'm not sure he's outplayed any of the guys that would be cut.  He's more valuable if he can play some NT too.

I think Tevaseu is the only one we can all agree is first man out.

Yeah I just don't think they'd give up this quickly on a guy they spent a 4th and 5th round pick to get.

I'd be (A) surprised and (B) disappointed if Nevis is not on the final 53...

About 1 to 2 weeks ago, Pagano was quoted as saying Drake has a great motor that the team loves and that he's perfect for our inside pass rush whenever we go to a 4-man line.

I can't imagine we'd let go of someone like that.   I think he's roughly 25.   And yes,  he would not be let go, he'd definitely have trade value,  but not all that much.  (I'd guess a #5 for him)   So, he's much, much more valuable keeping him, than he is trading him.

I expect to see Drake Nevis on our final 53 man roster.

I'd be (A) surprised and (B) disappointed if Nevis is not on the final 53...

About 1 to 2 weeks ago, Pagano was quoted as saying Drake has a great motor that the team loves and that he's perfect for our inside pass rush whenever we go to a 4-man line.

I can't imagine we'd let go of someone like that.   I think he's roughly 25.   And yes,  he would not be let go, he'd definitely have trade value,  but not all that much.  (I'd guess a #5 for him)   So, he's much, much more valuable keeping him, than he is trading him.

I expect to see Drake Nevis on our final 53 man roster.

Exactly, and they're going to be playing a lot of 4 man line, especially against pass happy teams.  Having defensive tackles to provide an interior pass rush is the one luxury that Freeny and Mathis never had and right now we actually have several of them with Redding and Nevis being the best, but Matthews and Guy have also shown the ability.  I haven't paid enough close attention to RJF but hopefully he can as well and the hope is that Hughes develops into that kind of player too.  Having guys like that are essentially the best hope we have to be able to beat the elite QB's like Brady, Manning etc.  The best QB's know how to avoid the outside rushers, but when the interior guys are pushing the pocket right into their face is when even the most elite QB's have trouble.

Yeah I just don't think they'd give up this quickly on a guy they spent a 4th and 5th round pick to get.

I thought we just spent our 2014 4th round pick on Hughes. I double checked as I wanted to be sure that I was correct and what the site I looked at was the following.

We traded next years 4th for Cleveland's 6th pick in round 5. Must be Cleveland didn't like what was there in the 5th round as that seems like a cheap price for a pick so high in this year's 5th. Anyway... I believe that's all we gave up for Hughes. You might be looking at the whole 5th round and see that we traded our 5th round pick , but it had nothing to do with the Hughes selection. That was traded in 2012 to the 9er's. I think that was to move up a few spots for Hilton. 

So pretty sure just a 4th and not a 4th and a 5th.

I thought we just spent our 2014 4th round pick on Hughes. I double checked as I wanted to be sure that I was correct and what the site I looked at was the following.

We traded next years 4th for Cleveland's 6th pick in round 5. Must be Cleveland didn't like what was there in the 5th round as that seems like a cheap price for a pick so high in this year's 5th. Anyway... I believe that's all we gave up for Hughes. You might be looking at the whole 5th round and see that we traded our 5th round pick , but it had nothing to do with the Hughes selection. That was traded in 2012 to the 9er's. I think that was to move up a few spots for Hilton. 

So pretty sure just a 4th and not a 4th and a 5th.

crap, you're right.  I was thinking we used the 4th to trade up in the 5th for him.  Forgot all about not having the 5th from the Hilton trade.  thanks for clarifying :)

crap, you're right.  I was thinking we used the 4th to trade up in the 5th for him.  Forgot all about not having the 5th from the Hilton trade.  thanks for clarifying :)

Yea.. no problem .

Really was a cheap deal for the Colts , if you figure the "traditional" round (32picks) for trading this year for next year. If the Colts draft 24th again in 2014 , that would just be 14 spots. But I guess that was the best offer Cleveland was getting , so probably what the pick was worth. Maybe I'm over estimating where the team giving the future pick would be expected to draft. 

Here's our possible 3rd down lineup vs. pass situations.

Francois

Nevis

Rayford

Angerer

Freeman

Walden

Mathis

in the front 7.

Rayford is a 34 OLB/ 43 DE. He's not 34 DE.

Plus, in obvious pass situations we go to a 4 man front. It would be:

Mathis, RJF, Nevis, Werner

Freeman, Angerer.

Colts sports writer George Bremer suggests that Drake Nevis could be the odd man out on the DL.

https://twitter.com/gmbremer

I hope they don't cut Nevis. He is one of our best pass rushers.

Maybe Bremer lives in Colorado or Washington St. That would make the most sense.

Nevis, would be the easy pick, if a person was too lazy to actually pay attention.

Nevis is our best interior pass rusher and he's good against the run no way he gets cut. Nevis does have the best trade value we could get at least a 4th for him from a team like the Cowboys but he's to valuable to the team. I do think will keep 3 NT's given the injury history of Franklin and Chapman, Hughes will make the team. It'll come down to Guy and Matthews but i imo Guy is the better player and pass rusher. This is how the lineup should be.

DE:Redding,Guy

NT:Franklin,Chapman,Hughes

DE:RJF,Nevis

Tevasue will be on the practice squad.

Maybe Bremer lives in Colorado or Washington St. That would make the most sense.

Nevis, would be the easy pick, if a person was too lazy to actually pay attention.

I have found George Bremer to be one of the most reliable sources of inside information, in and around Colts camp.

Here he is speculating about Nevis. I just hope he is wrong on this one.

Pagano is used to having utility players on his D-line with the Ravens specifically for pass rush. Drake Nevis is at worst a 2nd string for this system of defense.

Plus, he has been playing the run well too. When we do get to the playoffs and play pass elite QBs like Peyton or Brady, we need that interior pass rush to make life uncomfortable in the pocket for those guys. Redding, Franklin and Francois, IMO do not push the pocket and disrupt their gaps like Nevis. They are stout at the point of attack to force the RB to go east-west and let the LBs finish the plays as they should but if a team decides to pass or go no huddle, we have few pocket pushers providing an interior pass rush. It would be a terrible mistake if we cut him.