Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Biggest Position Needs for 2014 Draft/Free Agency

Yeah thats true the OL needs to be improved and we may need WR depth but in my mind you should only spend a 1st on someone who is going to be a starter and imo we have a good starter (or someone to have the potential to be a good starter) at every position hence why i think we should trade down. But an extra OL wouldn't hurt because in nearly every scenario one of satele, mcglynn or sowell will be on the roster this year.

If everything works out then maybe we could afford to trade the first away.  But if DHB doesn't pan out real well or something then we're gonna need to spend it on a receiver.  

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If everything works out then maybe we could afford to trade the first away.  But if DHB doesn't pan out real well or something then we're gonna need to spend it on a receiver.  

Yeah thats very true i agree with you there. Hope Whalen can step up if DHB doesn't. But tbh DHB's hands aren't as bad as what people have been making out and maybe with a shorter passing game he can get more receptions and less drops than going for the difficult deep balls.

RB should never be #1

He has the opinion that RB will be the #1 NEED.

How can it be possible for RB to NEVER be a Teams #1 need.

Griggs will improve our roster again with a couple FA moves.

Our roster will be Talented, young and very deep going into the draft.

Yes I could trade UP to get a Great RB, WR, PRusher, ILB.

It would be the perfect year to add an Elite talent.

RB isn't that important.  Unless you are looking at a once in generation type of talent like Adrian Peterson, almost no RB is worth a first round pick.  

Get a WR in the first, a guard in the 2nd, maybe a safety or a CB in the 3rd.  RB can wait til the 4th.  

With Andrew Luck at QB we're gonna be a pass heavy team, so we don't need to invest a top draft pick in an RB.  Decent RB's that can back up a strong passing game, catch some passes, and pass block are a dime a dozen.  We don't need a "feature" back.

Doug Martin?  David Wilson?  On is a for sure talent.  The other looks to be in the makings of something special.  MJD?

Lots of names in the league that are or were worthy of a first round selection.  There are also many that aren't.  But in any case, we could add a guy with the burst of a Doug Martin, and we passed, we might be making a mistake.

With as good of a season TY had last year, and a pretty good camp and preseason this year, why can he not be our future #1?  Just curious, not saying that he should be, just want to know IYO why he can't develop into that guy.

He is the #1. Reggie is really a slot receiver and Andrew is going to over target the Hall of Fame fan Favorite again.

T.Y. will wait his turn. Reggie only caught like 49 passes in his year two. TY improves his game in year two.

He has the opinion that RB will be the #1 NEED.

How can it be possible for RB to NEVER be a Teams #1 need.

Griggs will improve our roster again with a couple FA moves.

Our roster will be Talented, young and very deep going into the draft.

Yes I could trade UP to get a Great RB, WR, PRusher, ILB.

It would be the perfect year to add an Elite talent.

Well, he listed it in order of importance....and IMO the RB should never be that

Well considering what we've found in Luck....

1) WR- Need a new bigtime playmaker to pair with Luck and Hilton over the next 5 or so years, especially once Wayne retires. It would be ideal if this new playmaker could learn from Reggie Wayne for a year.

2) CB- In todays NFL, and despite the Toler signing, it still looms to me as a major need. We are average here. Davis has good moments, and clear lapses in sound judgement. For every big play he made last year, he got lit up for a 15 yard catch an equal number of times. Feel free to call it priority 3 or 4 instead, but I think we still need upgrading here.

3) RB- It's been said already, and it made sense, we're a power running team with no clear stud of the future. Ballard looks to be a very capable number 2, but a Ray Rice or Jones-Drew type stud ahead of him could help take this offense to the next level.

4) LB- I can't decide if inside or outside is a bigger priority, in large part because it depends on so many factors. Do Pagano/Grigson re-sign a trio of our current interior linebackers over the next year or so? Does our young first-rounder Werner  and/or any of our outside backer free agents develop well and provide a consistent passrush? One thing I know for sure, Mathis isn't getting any younger.

Always tough to say "most important" though. S could use upgrading for the future. DL and OL could always be MORE dominant. Obviously it would be really nice to find a 3-4 STAR on the DL. Currently we just boast a reasonably qualified group, but no bonified stars. No Haloti Ngata or J.J. Watt on this squad currently...

With as good of a season TY had last year, and a pretty good camp and preseason this year, why can he not be our future #1?  Just curious, not saying that he should be, just want to know IYO why he can't develop into that guy.

He is the #1. Reggie is really a slot receiver and Andrew is going to over target the Hall of Fame fan Favorite again.

T.Y. will wait his turn. Reggie only caught like 49 passes in his year two. TY improves his game in year two.

The reason why he can't is if you want a dominant offense, your #1 receiver cannot be 5'9". It just isn't that intimidating or physically imposing. Reggie and Avery pulled coverage from him. If you put him up against a double team (as the #1) against a decent safety and a CB like Patrick Peterson he'll be irrelevant all day. You need size in a number 1. The closest thing to an exception I can find is Steve Smith, but even then, his offense was never really dominant, just above average. And all respect to Hilton, he probably isn't quite as good as Steve Smith was in his day. I love Hilton, but all I'm saying is his production was what it was because Reggie had to be considered by the defense, as well as the deep speed potential of Avery.

The reason why he can't is if you want a dominant offense, your #1 receiver cannot be 5'9". It just isn't that intimidating or physically imposing. Reggie and Avery pulled coverage from him. If you put him up against a double team (as the #1) against a decent safety and a CB like Patrick Peterson he'll be irrelevant all day. You need size in a number 1. The closest thing to an exception I can find is Steve Smith, but even then, his offense was never really dominant, just above average. And all respect to Hilton, he probably isn't quite as good as Steve Smith was in his day. I love Hilton, but all I'm saying is his production was what it was because Reggie had to be considered by the defense, as well as the deep speed potential of Avery.

I guess it depends on how you want to classify #1 WR.  If you want to label it as where they line up on the field, then no Hilton probably can't be a #1.  If you want to label it as who's going to be the #1 WR that the QB will target or depend on, then Hilton can absolutely be that guy.  I will give you the NE offense as an example of how a little guy like Hilton (Welker), (who with the exception of when Moss was there) had no legitimate other WR threat on the team and still managed to tear a defense apart and put up 1,000+ yards receiving year after year after year.  And I would argue that their offense was one of the most lethal in the league over those years, able to put 50 on you no problem.  A good offense can create the mismatches that they can try to exploit.  Say for example you send Hilton (covered by a CB) and Allen (covered by a LB or CB) up the hash marks together, the safety has to try to decide who he's going to try to help double on, whoever he picks you go to the other guy.  Allen could just as easily pull that double coverage off of Hilton and allow him the singe coverage that he had last year because of Reggie.

Well considering what we've found in Luck....

1) WR- Need a new bigtime playmaker to pair with Luck and Hilton over the next 5 or so years, especially once Wayne retires. It would be ideal if this new playmaker could learn from Reggie Wayne for a year.

2) CB- In todays NFL, and despite the Toler signing, it still looms to me as a major need. We are average here. Davis has good moments, and clear lapses in sound judgement. For every big play he made last year, he got lit up for a 15 yard catch an equal number of times. Feel free to call it priority 3 or 4 instead, but I think we still need upgrading here.

3) RB- It's been said already, and it made sense, we're a power running team with no clear stud of the future. Ballard looks to be a very capable number 2, but a Ray Rice or Jones-Drew type stud ahead of him could help take this offense to the next level.

4) LB- I can't decide if inside or outside is a bigger priority, in large part because it depends on so many factors. Do Pagano/Grigson re-sign a trio of our current interior linebackers over the next year or so? Does our young first-rounder Werner  and/or any of our outside backer free agents develop well and provide a consistent passrush? One thing I know for sure, Mathis isn't getting any younger.

Always tough to say "most important" though. S could use upgrading for the future. DL and OL could always be MORE dominant. Obviously it would be really nice to find a 3-4 STAR on the DL. Currently we just boast a reasonably qualified group, but no bonified stars. No Haloti Ngata or J.J. Watt on this squad currently...

I've always been more of a... i don't know... "tough in the trenches guy"? I mean I would always prefer offensive and defensive lineman to start building, but much more that matters than a straight blueprint for building a team is what will make the biggest impact, or keep your success going. So I could, probably for the first time, understand taking a wide receiver early in the next draft (unless DHB proves to be a big-time #1 receiver and TY can shift from #2 outside to the slot, but let's not jump too far ahead).

I wouldn't worry about WR because I feel like Grigson is going to get Jeremy Maclin. A core of Haywerd-Bey, Maclin, Hilton and Reggie Wayne (until he retires) is really solid especially with Dwayne Allen and the hope Fleener emerges. I'm not sure but I think Marcell Dareus is a free agent and he could be a very good pick-up at DE. The biggest prize the colts could get would be Eugene Monroe so they could move Castonzo to RT and greatly improve the line. I hope at some point Holmes and Thornton start on the line because they're young and they cant be much worse than whats in front of them. Looking at the draft my vote is cast for a set of Ohio State Buckeyes. Bradley Roby could develop into a shutdown corner opposite Vontae Davis and Ryan Shazier could be a star linebacker featured in our defense. These two have a swagger that I haven't seen from the Colts D since Bob Sanders won DPOY.

Castonzo when healthy is one of the worst LT pass blockers in the League. He showed it last season.

He is now our 3rd best OLineman. And that is NOTHING to be proud of.

Irsay is 100% responsible for Satelle & McGlynn so he should Own up to it if he wants to bad mouth the line.

Ballard had 6 out of 6 solid blocks, Bradshaw was fine and our TE`s were ok.

Yes there was some Coaching and Andrew problems handling the Blitz.

Lets see Irsay if you Hamstring the Franchise with Castonzo next season and years to come. 

That will also be 100% all on you.

By midseason, Veldheer had supplanted Henderson to become the Raiders' full-time starting left tackle.[4] On opening day of the 2011 NFL season, he started at left tackle next to rookie Stefen Wisniewski and the offensive line cleared the way for 190 rushing yards and a victory over the Denver Broncos. In Week 11 of the 2011 NFL season, playing against the Minnesota Vikings he prevented Jared Allen, who had a league-leading total of 13.5 sacks coming into the game, from having a sack,

jared Veldheer  with  ,

Michael Oher

best add too oline perfect fit.

I'm sure Grigson and scouts are looking ahead at whose contracts are about to expire in the next 2 years and what their biggest needs will be. This thread is for all you micro-GM's out there, list in order of importance which positions we need addressed during next years offseason. I'll start:

1) OT:  first on free agency be Jared veldheer and michael other  .  thats a must for luck.

5) RB: Assuming we don't resign Bradshaw, this is a clear must. If Bradshaw is resigned then this position can wait until the following year.

4) WR: Assuming DHB isn't resigned and Wayne being a FA in 2015, we need to have a #2 wr next year that will develop a year with Wayne and take over his spot the following year.

3) MLB: All 4 of our Inside LB's will become FA's in the next 2 years (Angerer and Conner in 2014; Freeman and Sheppard in 2015). I expect the Colts to resign Freeman and optimistically 2 more, but I don't see a way all 4 will be resigned, this will be a big need for us next year if either Angerer or Conner leaves.

6) DE: With an old Corey Redding becoming a FA in 2015, it would be nice to get a rookie pass rusher under his wings to teach for a full season before he leaves.

5) CB: I expect us to resign Vontae Davis next year, no question. With Cassius Vaughn leaving after this season and Darius Butler the following season we will need a solid Dime CB.

7) FS: With Bethea and Lefeged becoming FA's next year, it seems like the Colts are saying their goodbyes by drafting Boyett. Although Boyett is positioned to rest this season and take over next year, he still runs the risk of being injury prone and we need a decent backup. I really like Howell at the SS position, but I wouldn't want him to have to back up both positions.

draft pick defence while fa fill the oline best way. for 2014 year on 2015 defence be both that year in 2015

I'm sure Grigson and scouts are looking ahead at whose contracts are about to expire in the next 2 years and what their biggest needs will be. This thread is for all you micro-GM's out there, list in order of importance which positions we need addressed during next years offseason. I'll start:

1) OT:  first on free agency be Jared veldheer and michael other  .  thats a must for luck.

5) RB: Assuming we don't resign Bradshaw, this is a clear must. If Bradshaw is resigned then this position can wait until the following year.

4) WR: Assuming DHB isn't resigned and Wayne being a FA in 2015, we need to have a #2 wr next year that will develop a year with Wayne and take over his spot the following year.

3) MLB: All 4 of our Inside LB's will become FA's in the next 2 years (Angerer and Conner in 2014; Freeman and Sheppard in 2015). I expect the Colts to resign Freeman and optimistically 2 more, but I don't see a way all 4 will be resigned, this will be a big need for us next year if either Angerer or Conner leaves.

6) DE: With an old Corey Redding becoming a FA in 2015, it would be nice to get a rookie pass rusher under his wings to teach for a full season before he leaves.

5) CB: I expect us to resign Vontae Davis next year, no question. With Cassius Vaughn leaving after this season and Darius Butler the following season we will need a solid Dime CB.

7) FS: With Bethea and Lefeged becoming FA's next year, it seems like the Colts are saying their goodbyes by drafting Boyett. Although Boyett is positioned to rest this season and take over next year, he still runs the risk of being injury prone and we need a decent backup. I really like Howell at the SS position, but I wouldn't want him to have to back up both positions.

draft pick defence while fa fill the oline best way. for 2014 year on 2015 defence be both that year in 2015

You have it backwards FS will be a major concern with Bethea heading into FA. Boyett won't take over next year because he's not on the team anymore and Landry and Howell play the same position.

1 FS - .Ha'shean Clinton Dix and Ed Reynolds are the best safeties in the draft both 1st round prospects.

2.CB-  Davis will be the first priority in the off season and i think will resign him. Toler has played great but we don't have any depth if he has to miss some games. Marcus Roberson and Aaron Colvin are good man cover CB's, one should be their in the 20's.

3.WR - Wayne will be 35 and DHB will be a FA. Jordan Matthews and Mike Evans are both great possibilities in the first round.

By midseason, Veldheer had supplanted Henderson to become the Raiders' full-time starting left tackle.[4] On opening day of the 2011 NFL season, he started at left tackle next to rookie Stefen Wisniewski and the offensive line cleared the way for 190 rushing yards and a victory over the Denver Broncos. In Week 11 of the 2011 NFL season, playing against the Minnesota Vikings he prevented Jared Allen, who had a league-leading total of 13.5 sacks coming into the game, from having a sack,

jared Veldheer  with  ,

Michael Oher

best add too oline perfect fit.

Colts aren't going to go after Oher after signing Cherilus....nor should they.

• 4 weeks later...

wr

de

olb

ILB

backup NT

Guard

rb

The Colts do indeed have lots and lots and lots of needs....

And considering we're missing our own #1 and our own #4 we simply won't/can't fill them all in the draft.

Fortunately, we have free agent money to spend.   So, some of those needs will be filled in FA.....

Then more in the draft.....    

As you know,  feeding the monster is just never ending....

Based on the first 5 games i think the biggest needs in order is WR, CB, DE, and Guard. Getting a WR in the 2nd round looks like a good possibility, DHB is not the answer and Wayne only has a year or two left. T.Y will make a great #2 WR but Luck needs a #1WR. The guy we draft in the 2nd round Moncrief or Coleman will be the #2 WR and could learn under Wayne for a year and then takeover after he retires.

Based on the first 5 games i think the biggest needs in order is WR, CB, DE, and Guard. Getting a WR in the 2nd round looks like a good possibility, DHB is not the answer and Wayne only has a year or two left. T.Y will make a great #2 WR but Luck needs a #1WR. The guy we draft in the 2nd round Moncrief or Coleman will be the #2 WR and could learn under Wayne for a year and then takeover after he retires.

DE, OLB, ILB, G are much bigger needs than CB

Guest TeamLoloJones

I would rank in order of importance:  WR (future #1), OT, OG, OLB, ILB.  Our corners have actually performed really well this year and I think more time under Pagano will only make them better...so I agree with you there.

Why do you think we need a tackle?

I don't think we need a tackle, but I understand why you might want one. Personally I love having a really good FS and would love to have Clinton-Dix especially if he slips due to his suspension. I think our corners are much improved but Toler scares me tbh. I would try to trade the 3rd, 6th and 7th for a higher 2nd or low 1st (may not be enough). I would trade our 2nd for Josh Gordon, then with the higher pick I would draft one of Purifoy/Roby/Clinton-Dix and use the 5th on La'El Collins but that's just me.

- Protecting Luck (Should be a grade A no-brainer that we need to keep Luck upright)

- Pass rush (Mathis isn't getting younger, even if he's still doing pretty well for us)

- WR (Wayne wont last forever, even if it would be great)

T-Rich & Ballard, should have us covered at RB, even if Bradshaw/Brown are not resigned.

I have a feeling that we might look for a WR in free agency.

Bethea has to be resigned, if not... We have a big hole to fill right there.

• 1 month later...

Free agency:

1. o-line

2. o-line

3. o-line

4. an ILB

5. (may be a luxury but a CB)

Jon Asamoah and Alex Mack should be at the top of the wish list but the tackles appear set. I would try to grab Rolando McClain at ILB and Shields at CB would be great.

Draft:

2nd-Vic Beasley OLB Clemson

3rd-Ty Montgomery WR/returner Stanford

5th-Karlos Williams S/LB/RB Florida State

6th-bpa

7th-kicker

Asamoah would be great, as would Mack.

For me, the draft could be BPA after the third round. Heck, even the 2nd and 3rd could become BPA, depending on FA and if there's a run on QB's in the first round. I could see one or two of the top Guard prospects falling to the late second round, perhaps even the third, and if we haven't made some FA signings there, who knows..

That said, Beasley/Montgomery would be nice picks, but isn't Beasley a DE? I like Skov as well at ILB.

Have to say that I would love to have McCullers.. I know he'll be long gone when we pick, but he's a freak.

Beasley is an undersized DE but like Mathis he would probably produce better as an OLB in a 3-4. He has really good athleticism and a good burst around the edge. Skov falls backward too often for my taste. I want an ILB that puts running backs on their back. As for linemen in the draft, i'd rather grab them in free agency so they are ready to go.

1. WR - We need to bring 2 good WR's on to this team in the next 2 years.  DHB is gone and Reggie's contract is up after next year and he'll likely consider retirement.  We can't put this one off any longer.  Luck needs some play makers that are not named TY Hilton.

2. Center - Satele isn't worth the 5 million we'll be paying him next year.  For 2 or 3 million more we could get a pro-bowler here.

3. OT and CB depth.  We need at least one guy who can go in and play OT if we lose a starter and won't get Luck killed.  And we should never have to start Cassius Vaughn again.  

4. RB We could re-sign Donald Brown or we could draft a speed back in the low rounds.  I still have faith that Trent will be better next year and Ballard will be back.  

5. ILB - We could use a star here if there is one available.  But right now I tend to think it can wait since we are average.  

6. Free Saftey: I think we need to hold onto Bethea for a few more years but we have to look at replacing this position.  

7. Kicker - Vinitari has been good, but he's the oldest player in the league, so it wouldn't hurt us to draft one in the 7th or sign one as a UDFA and let Adam V go.  

1. WR - We need to bring 2 good WR's on to this team in the next 2 years.  DHB is gone and Reggie's contract is up after next year and he'll likely consider retirement.  We can't put this one off any longer.  Luck needs some play makers that are not named TY Hilton.

2. Center - Satele isn't worth the 5 million we'll be paying him next year.  For 2 or 3 million more we could get a pro-bowler here.

3. OT and CB depth.  We need at least one guy who can go in and play OT if we lose a starter and won't get Luck killed.  And we should never have to start Cassius Vaughn again.  

4. RB We could re-sign Donald Brown or we could draft a speed back in the low rounds.  I still have faith that Trent will be better next year and Ballard will be back.  

5. ILB - We could use a star here if there is one available.  But right now I tend to think it can wait since we are average.  

6. Free Saftey: I think we need to hold onto Bethea for a few more years but we have to look at replacing this position.  

7. Kicker - Vinitari has been good, but he's the oldest player in the league, so it wouldn't hurt us to draft one in the 7th or sign one as a UDFA and let Adam V go.  

Just how I feel and would address it.

1. Ty Montgomery (draft)

2. Alex Mack (free agent) or Khalid Holmes

3. I think we need a better #2. Sam Shields (free agent) or Lardarius Webb (trade)

4. Richardson/Ballard/Brown

5. Rolando McClain? (free agent) only one that has/had star potential

6. Karlos Williams or CJ Barnett (draft)

7. Not sure, 7th round pick?