Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Biggest Position Needs for 2014 Draft/Free Agency

I'm sure Grigson and scouts are looking ahead at whose contracts are about to expire in the next 2 years and what their biggest needs will be. This thread is for all you micro-GM's out there, list in order of importance which positions we need addressed during next years offseason. I'll start:

1) RB: Assuming we don't resign Bradshaw, this is a clear must. If Bradshaw is resigned then this position can wait until the following year.

2) WR: Assuming DHB isn't resigned and Wayne being a FA in 2015, we need to have a #2 wr next year that will develop a year with Wayne and take over his spot the following year.

3) MLB: All 4 of our Inside LB's will become FA's in the next 2 years (Angerer and Conner in 2014; Freeman and Sheppard in 2015). I expect the Colts to resign Freeman and optimistically 2 more, but I don't see a way all 4 will be resigned, this will be a big need for us next year if either Angerer or Conner leaves.

4) DE: With an old Corey Redding becoming a FA in 2015, it would be nice to get a rookie pass rusher under his wings to teach for a full season before he leaves.

5) CB: I expect us to resign Vontae Davis next year, no question. With Cassius Vaughn leaving after this season and Darius Butler the following season we will need a solid Dime CB.

6) FS: With Bethea and Lefeged becoming FA's next year, it seems like the Colts are saying their goodbyes by drafting Boyett. Although Boyett is positioned to rest this season and take over next year, he still runs the risk of being injury prone and we need a decent backup. I really like Howell at the SS position, but I wouldn't want him to have to back up both positions.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh god we could go in any direction here.

I'm all about adding to the secondary and wideout position..

Can never have enough pass rushers and defensive talent on the front line..

I feel like we could get a RB in the later rounds..

Need to bulk up the offensive line.. Protect Luck and we NEED to be able to run the ball!!

RB should never be #1

When you're a power running team with no players that can run... it could definitely be #1. doesn't have to be through the draft, we got Bradshaw through FA. #1 doesn't mean a 1st round pick, it just means top priority

When you're a power running team with no players that can run... it could definitely be #1. doesn't have to be through the draft, we got Bradshaw through FA. #1 doesn't mean a 1st round pick, it just means top priority

It could be but it shouldn't be....OL should be #1. ;)

We have players who can run. We just don't have a center or rg who can block.

It could be but it shouldn't be....OL should be #1. ;)

We have players who can run. We just don't have a center or rg who can block.

I agree that the OL opens up the running lanes, that's why we have 4 new players on the OL. When Holmes and Thornton come back the run blocking schemes will look a lot better come mid-season. I don't think the OL is going to be a priority next season after such a large focus was done to it this season. But if we don't have Bradshaw next year we most certainly need a good RB that can utilize those gaps and abuse other LB's

1. CB: Were in a passing league where most teams are running 3 and 4 WR sets with athletic TE's and we only have 3 good CB's. Vontae,Butler,and Vaughn will all be FA's and Toler has had injury concerns. I do think will resign Vontae and Butler but will still need a CB.

2.WR: Wayne is still playing great and T.Y as well but we don't have a #1WR on the roster to takeover when Wayne declines or contract expires. Even if DHB has a good year will still need a WR because DHB is a #2WR at best.

Drafting a RB in the first is not good value unless it's AP type player, you can find a good one in later rounds. I only put 2 positions because i think these are our biggest needs that will target in the first two rounds of the draft.

1. CB: Were in a passing league where most teams are running 3 and 4 WR sets with athletic TE's and we only have 3 good CB's. Vontae,Butler,and Vaughn will all be FA's and Toler has had injury concerns. I do think will resign Vontae and Butler but will still need a CB.

2.WR: Wayne is still playing great and T.Y as well but we don't have a #1WR on the roster to takeover when Wayne declines or contract expires. Even if DHB has a good year will still need a WR because DHB is a #2WR at best.

Drafting a RB in the first is not good value unless it's AP type player, you can find a good one in later rounds. I only put 2 positions because i think these are our biggest needs that will target in the first two rounds of the draft.

Butler signed a 2 year deal.

With as good of a season TY had last year, and a pretty good camp and preseason this year, why can he not be our future #1?  Just curious, not saying that he should be, just want to know IYO why he can't develop into that guy.

With as good of a season TY had last year, and a pretty good camp and preseason this year, why can he not be our future #1?  Just curious, not saying that he should be, just want to know IYO why he can't develop into that guy.

Too small of a WR, teams can take smallish WR's out of the game by pressing them off the line of scrimmage. He'll make a great #2 or 3 WR but to be a #1 you have to be bigger,great route runner, and be able to go over the middle for the tough catches.

Too small of a WR, teams can take smallish WR's out of the game by pressing them off the line of scrimmage. He'll make a great #2 or 3 WR but to be a #1 you have to be bigger,great route runner, and be able to go over the middle for the tough catches.

Marvin wasn't much bigger than TY and he held down the #1 spot for a LONG time. Marvin was also a precise route runner who knew how to create separation. If TY can get close to the route running of Marvin, I don't see why he couldn't be a #1.

I think TY does have that ability, but from what I've seen so far his success so far has come from utilizing mismatches. If TY becomes the #1 he will get double teamed all day, not sure how that would effect his play

We'll cross that bridge when we get to it

You guys think too hard, just sit back & enjoy the season like I'm doing. Everything will be okay :thmup:

*Kicks feet up*

In Grigson we trust :D

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the hell out of this offseason and I can't wait for the reg season to start. But when there's too much sitting back and waiting for the season to start, one cannot help but fantasize of the future possibilities.

Resign Bethea ( i would like for at least ONE '06 super bowl winning colt player to retire here ), let  Lefeged  walk, resign Davis, Bradshaw, idk about DHB yet,  really don't care what happens to Vaughn, resign the "BOOM STICK", so really the two biggest need is pass rush and WR....i say go with a WR...no matter how good Wayne is.. he is getting older and T.Y can't do it all by his self...DHB mite step up...but i'll feel safer with a WR...maybe a big physical fast one like a Julio Jones...THAT'S JUST ME....awwe yea and resign whoever has a better season between Conner and Angerer

1.RB- Teams with strong Running games go a long way in the playoffs, true power running game make the passing game much stronger, and with Carter gone and this being the last year of Browns contract this will be a huge topic in the offseason.

2.WR Even if we resign DHB we need more depth at WR, someone with good hands, speed, route running and size. T.Y. is the only WR we have drafted since drafting Luck.

3.OL The oline still needs some work if you ask me, no wear near as bad as the last two years but I could still see us picking up a T,G or C. That right center, I'm not a fan of satele or holmes.

4.DE/CB I have a tie for this spot, both of these positions feed off one another so to me they are neck an neck. Redding is getting up there in age and Davis will be up for a contract at the end of this year which I exspect use to resigned him. CB is one of the most injury prone positions on must teams and we have 3 really good CB in Davis, Toler and Butler but after that this group isn't very good.

5.FS Bethea is getting up in age as well but I think he still has a lot of good football ahead of him, but I would still like to see a rookie come in and learn the ropes behind a guy like bethea.

This is all way to early and all depends on how the team plays out the 2013/14 season from a positional stand point, but unless we see some trade occur RB,WR,OL are the most important in the up coming offseason in that order.1. We can't keep faulting the line for poor RB play. 2.We can't keep plugging FA in at the WR spot and hopping for the best with guys like Avery and DHB although I like DHB and I think he will do great in Indy. 3.Early to judge the Oline but what I can tell is most of our depth consists guys that have  been apart of the 2011-2012 seasons which our line was ranked at the bottom out of 32 so that does'nt look to good as for our depth. 

1.RB- Teams with strong Running games go a long way in the playoffs, true power running game make the passing game much stronger, and with Carter gone and this being the last year of Browns contract this will be a huge topic in the offseason.

2.WR Even if we resign DHB we need more depth at WR, someone with good hands, speed, route running and size. T.Y. is the only WR we have drafted since drafting Luck.

3.OL The oline still needs some work if you ask me, no wear near as bad as the last two years but I could still see us picking up a T,G or C. That right center, I'm not a fan of satele or holmes.

4.DE/CB I have a tie for this spot, both of these positions feed off one another so to me they are neck an neck. Redding is getting up there in age and Davis will be up for a contract at the end of this year which I exspect use to resigned him. CB is one of the most injury prone positions on must teams and we have 3 really good CB in Davis, Toler and Butler but after that this group isn't very good.

5.FS Bethea is getting up in age as well but I think he still has a lot of good football ahead of him, but I would still like to see a rookie come in and learn the ropes behind a guy like bethea.

This is all way to early and all depends on how the team plays out the 2013/14 season from a positional stand point, but unless we see some trade occur RB,WR,OL are the most important in the up coming offseason in that order.1. We can't keep faulting the line for poor RB play. 2.We can't keep plugging FA in at the WR spot and hopping for the best with guys like Avery and DHB although I like DHB and I think he will do great in Indy. 3.Early to judge the Oline but what I can tell is most of our depth consists guys that have  been apart of the 2011-2012 seasons which our line was ranked at the bottom out of 32 so that does'nt look to good as for our depth. 

You and I are on the same page with this topic :thmup:

I know we have an entire season ahead of us, but I agree that as of today those are the most important gaps to fill and I'm sure those are the positions the scouts have extra eyes on at the moment.

Resign Bethea ( i would like for at least ONE '06 super bowl winning colt player to retire here ), let  Lefeged  walk, resign Davis, Bradshaw, idk about DHB yet,  really don't care what happens to Vaughn, resign the "BOOM STICK", so really the two biggest need is pass rush and WR....i say go with a WR...no matter how good Wayne is.. he is getting older and T.Y can't do it all by his self...DHB mite step up...but i'll feel safer with a WR...maybe a big physical fast one like a Julio Jones...THAT'S JUST ME....awwe yea and resign whoever has a better season between Conner and Angerer

Harrison/Diem/Glenn?

No way to truly know till the season starts.  Something that we think is a problem will probably get filled and something we think is solid will probably turn into a problem.

I'd say areas to watch are running back, CB (depending on what we do with Davis), O-line help, WR depth and a replacement for Reggie, punter/kicker again depending on what we do with Adam and McAfee this off-season, Kick returner, Safety depending what we do with Bethea and how he plays, another pass rusher on defense, Mathis isn't getting any younger even with Werner, and just play makers on defense in general.  I think we have a bunch of really solid guys on defense but very few play makers outside of Mathis.  Werner, Davis, Toller, and Landry all have the chance to be those guys but three of them are new to the defense and we need to see them do it and Davis needs to do it a little more often. 

I'm starting to think Grig's offense-heavy first draft has made everyone more offense-hungry than needed. I'm all for offensive upgrades, but we can't just keep drafting for offense and expect a plug-n-play free agent to perform like a great starter on our defense. Under our new management, we have more focus on defense than ever, and will be drafting accordingly.

OT: I have my doubts about Gosder Cherilus plus we don't have any quality depth at the Tackle position. If Cherilus fails or just plays average we NEED to upgrade the tackle position with an early pick.

DE/OLB: Pass Rush still looks weak so we need some help. Robert Mathis isn't getting younger too and the new scheme isn't helping him

WR: Reggie Wayne is still great but like Mathis he isn't getting younger and we need a long time successor.

OG: Hugh Thornton looked promising, Donald Thomas is solid but like the tackle position we don't have much quality depth at the Guard position.

S: We could use another reliable Safty besides Bethea. 

RB isn't that important.  Unless you are looking at a once in generation type of talent like Adrian Peterson, almost no RB is worth a first round pick.  

Get a WR in the first, a guard in the 2nd, maybe a safety or a CB in the 3rd.  RB can wait til the 4th.  

With Andrew Luck at QB we're gonna be a pass heavy team, so we don't need to invest a top draft pick in an RB.  Decent RB's that can back up a strong passing game, catch some passes, and pass block are a dime a dozen.  We don't need a "feature" back.

RB isn't that important.  Unless you are looking at a once in generation type of talent like Adrian Peterson, almost no RB is worth a first round pick.  

Get a WR in the first, a guard in the 2nd, maybe a safety or a CB in the 3rd.  RB can wait til the 4th.  

With Andrew Luck at QB we're gonna be a pass heavy team, so we don't need to invest a top draft pick in an RB.  Decent RB's that can back up a strong passing game, catch some passes, and pass block are a dime a dozen.  We don't need a "feature" back.

I know it is only preseason but I honestly think we are set at WR for the next 2-3 years.

I would personally trade down out of the 1st, i'm very optimistic about every position.

I know it is only preseason but I honestly think we are set at WR for the next 2-3 years.

I would personally trade down out of the 1st, i'm very optimistic about every position.

DHB is on a 1 year contract and Reggie Wayne has 2 years left on his and then will likely retire.  

At best we could re-sign DHB and be set for 2 years until Wayne retires and then need someone who can play either WR 2 or 3.

And that's presuming DHB morphs into a stud receiver that can play WR-1 and we re-sign him.  

Even if we don't need a WR we still need offensive line help and it might be good to let Bethea walk after this year and get younger.  

DHB is on a 1 year contract and Reggie Wayne has 2 years left on his and then will likely retire.  

At best we could re-sign DHB and be set for 2 years until Wayne retires and then need someone who can play either WR 2 or 3.

And that's presuming DHB morphs into a stud receiver that can play WR-1 and we re-sign him.  

Even if we don't need a WR we still need offensive line help and it might be good to let Bethea walk after this year and get younger.  

Yeah thats true the OL needs to be improved and we may need WR depth but in my mind you should only spend a 1st on someone who is going to be a starter and imo we have a good starter (or someone to have the potential to be a good starter) at every position hence why i think we should trade down. But an extra OL wouldn't hurt because in nearly every scenario one of satele, mcglynn or sowell will be on the roster this year.