Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay Not Happy with Team's Performance....

NewColtsFan

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is really not that big of a deal.  Does he have a right to get angry with his coaches?  Absolutely, he's the owner.  Did he need to take it to Twitter?  No, but you post at your own risk and it makes him come across as a bit childish.  But it's hard to take him seriously when we never heard a peep about how awful we did in the pre-season when the Polians were here, and now all the sudden, it's time to get amped up.  I get that he fired the Polians because he "wanted his team back," for lack of a better description.  Polians were running everything and Irsay just sat back and let them do their thing, but the drastic 180 degree difference in his conduct before and after is, once again, kind of childish.

This is really not that big of a deal.  Does he have a right to get angry with his coaches?  Absolutely, he's the owner.  Did he need to take it to Twitter?  No, but you post at your own risk and it makes him come across as a bit childish.  But it's hard to take him seriously when we never heard a peep about how awful we did in the pre-season when the Polians were here, and now all the sudden, it's time to get amped up.  I get that he fired the Polians because he "wanted his team back," for lack of a better description.  Polians were running everything and Irsay just sat back and let them do their thing, but the drastic 180 degree difference in his conduct before and after is, once again, kind of childish.

Childish...oh brother. How about you go out and spend millions and millions of dollars and just sit back and be "non childish" I guess.

Polian was a longtime executive, and between him and Dungy, they set a tone on the team. Irsay's hands-on involvement was probably a lot less than it is now. He's hired a young, first time executive, and a first time head coach. I don't think he's meddling, but I do think he's more visible than he was in the past. And I think there's a reason for it.

Polian was a longtime executive, and between him and Dungy, they set a tone on the team. Irsay's hands-on involvement was probably a lot less than it is now. He's hired a young, first time executive, and a first time head coach. I don't think he's meddling, but I do think he's more visible than he was in the past. And I think there's a reason for it.

Like you said, Polian and Dungy set a tone on the team.  The reason he's more visible might be because he wants to be more and involved and the Colts seen as his team, not Polian's or Dungy's team (or in this case, Grigson and Pagano).  Could be as simple as that, could be more complicated.  I don't think he's doing it for malevolent reasons or anything.  And I certainly don't think he'd do anything to sabatoge the team (minus 2011, maybe...but I'll never admit it publicly).  But I saw enough of his tweets during the free agency period than I ever cared to see, not to mention all the "ne1" and other kid like words. 

Like you said, Polian and Dungy set a tone on the team.  The reason he's more visible might be because he wants to be more and involved and the Colts seen as his team, not Polian's or Dungy's team (or in this case, Grigson and Pagano).  Could be as simple as that, could be more complicated.  I don't think he's doing it for malevolent reasons or anything.  And I certainly don't think he'd do anything to sabatoge the team (minus 2011, maybe...but I'll never admit it publicly).  But I saw enough of his tweets during the free agency period than I ever cared to see, not to mention all the "ne1" and other kid like words. 

That's just Twitter. I personally think that's kind of a superficial criticism, but I get it. I just don't think it matters. It's taking the good with the bad.

As for his tweets, I can see how they'd be construed in a negative light. I didn't like his tweet last preseason about working on a trade, because I thought it had the potential to undermine the efforts of the front office to get the trade done. But I do like having some official insight into some of the things going on in the background.

Reaction to Jim Irsay's Tweet Yesterday:

During this morning's walkthrough, much of the discussion amongst the media members here at camp was at least in some way relating to Jim Irsay's tweet from yesterday (if you don't know what we're talking about, we've got the info here, one opinion here, and another opinion here.  Yeah, when the owner tweets, we respond!).

Chuck Pagano, of course, was asked about what his owner tweeted and he said that "top to bottom we were all disappointed" and that "we expect to go out and perform."  He also added that "there's no need to panic" and that "everyone is accountable."  Earlier in the press conference he had stated that "I fully expect this team to bounce back from Sunday's performance" and the message of the day seemed to be that the team is "disappointed but not discouraged."  Pagano as asked specifically if he talked to Jim Irsay yesterday and he answered "no."

Quarterback Andrew Luck was also asked about his owner's tweet and said that he wasn't really aware of it until someone told him this morning at camp.  "You couldn't ask for a better owner," Luck said.  "His heart is in this team one hundred percent and his players really appreciate it."  He added that the players and coaches really don't want to disappoint him or any of the fans for that matter.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2013/8/13/4617936/colts-am-update-roster-moves-injury-update-and-irsay-tweet-reaction

Just a simple question:Why Tweet it?Didn't Irsay address his coaching staff? Yes or no?If he did, why tweet about it, exception to call attention that you did something privately?The ONLY reason, in my opinion, to tweet about it is to pander for attention. That's it. Particularly based on Irsay's past tweets: he likes to pander to Colt fans.

Oh no, I predict 0-16 season due to the tweeting of Jim Irsay.

People need to stop acting like owning a NFL team is that important. He not a Supreme Court justice, he is not holding the codes to a nuke, nor is he advising President Obama on Middle East peace. As long as Irsay doesn't fire guys like Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells and hire guys like Barry Switzer and Wade Phillips, I really don't care what he does.

The guy is a great owner and once in a while he get's a little silly or sometimes "carried away" in his twitter nonsense. In no way has any of this or will any of this hurt the team. I think he's just trying to connect a bit with the fans and maybe keep them more informed with what's going on with the team. Just no big deal here...

During this morning's walkthrough, much of the discussion amongst the media members here at camp was at least in some way relating to Jim Irsay's tweet from yesterday (if you don't know what we're talking about, we've got the info here, one opinion here, and another opinion here.  Yeah, when the owner tweets, we respond!).

Chuck Pagano, of course, was asked about what his owner tweeted and he said that "top to bottom we were all disappointed" and that "we expect to go out and perform."  He also added that "there's no need to panic" and that "everyone is accountable."  Earlier in the press conference he had stated that "I fully expect this team to bounce back from Sunday's performance" and the message of the day seemed to be that the team is "disappointed but not discouraged."  Pagano as asked specifically if he talked to Jim Irsay yesterday and he answered "no."

Quarterback Andrew Luck was also asked about his owner's tweet and said that he wasn't really aware of it until someone told him this morning at camp.  "You couldn't ask for a better owner," Luck said.  "His heart is in this team one hundred percent and his players really appreciate it."  He added that the players and coaches really don't want to disappoint him or any of the fans for that matter.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2013/8/13/4617936/colts-am-update-roster-moves-injury-update-and-irsay-tweet-reaction

I was thinking when I first heard about this that everyone involved must have been harder on themselves than anyone else could be.

These guys are competitors. I have faith in them.

The guy is a great owner and once in a while he get's a little silly or sometimes "carried away" in his twitter nonsense. In no way has any of this or will any of this hurt the team. I think he's just trying to connect a bit with the fans and maybe keep them more informed with what's going on with the team. Just no big deal here...

He Is an emotional fan as much as an owner and sometimes just gets a bit off tweet like many with twitter accounts , its nothing yet its made out to be so much  & 7 pages of forum on this WOW

I was thinking when I first heard about this that everyone involved must have been harder on themselves than anyone else could be.

These guys are competitors. I have faith in them.

Reached my positive votes for the day , 

To add & they have faith in themselves

anyway , have a great afternoon , priorities call at this time daily

Just what Pagano needs to be doing after the loss, discussing his owner's tweets. Very sad for Chuck and staff. This is why things are always better said privately especially when of a negative nature ...

Just what Pagano needs to be doing after the loss, discussing his owner's tweets. Very sad for Chuck and staff. This is why things are always better said privately especially when of a negative nature ...

I too always believe its best left to oneself, Irsay is a fan , not just an owner, as an emotional fan he often tweets , as   tweets are in often  from what i read , as i don't have a tweet account, , well as   I was saying many a tweet said after an emotional event is often best left unsaid, some at times are helpful, some aren't , its best to wait with all things in life after an emotional event and not just simply react, but so many pages on this forum dedicated to this is ludicrous to me

it was tweeted, i think the reaction to it was also an emotional over reaction and really the team itself will go forward without any negative repercussions

the time Chuck spent on this I am sure wasnt altering his days plans 

I too always believe its best left to oneself, Irsay is a fan , not just an owner, as an emotional fan he often tweets , as   tweets are in often  from what i read , as i don't have a tweet account, , well as   I was saying many a tweet said after an emotional event is often best left unsaid, some at times are helpful, some aren't , its best to wait with all things in life after an emotional event and not just simply react, but so many pages on this forum dedicated to this is ludicrous to me

it was tweeted, i think the reaction to it was also an emotional over reaction and really the team itself will go forward without any negative repercussions

Don't disagree at all Barry but sets a bad precedent for the season ...

Tragic man...tragic. First cancer now this...how will Chuck endure?

Don't disagree at all Barry but sets a bad precedent for the season ...

Last Post of day

This is Irsay, he a colorful Character of an owner, after the last few years of his singing / guitar work / tweets / what have ya  , the precedent  been set awhile ago, its just Irsay being Irasy nothing unexpected really 

Tragic man...tragic. First cancer now this...how will Chuck endure?

Wish I had another positive to give , saw this after my last post of day was posted so this is now last of day 

as previously noted to same

Well...    ummmm.....     ahhhhh......      yeah.      I get your point.....

The difference is none of us are the owner....

Irsay is.      His opinion -- especially voiced publicly -- carries a little more weight.....

Just sayin.....

XOXO

You know I always like and respect your posts.  And I want  to let you know, it was  nothing personal,  just addressing the Title of this thread and saying I don't think anyone was happy.   :giveup:

See I don't think he really criticized Grigson and Pagano.  He pretty much said the team played poorly which they did, I don't think anyone is going to argue that rather it be the third stringers or not those guys did not play well.  I am sure Grigson and Pagano would agree with that and when Irsay said he gave them an earful he didn't say they were doing something wrong, he just pretty much said the team didn't play well.  Like I said earlier I don't think Irsay said anything to them that they didn't already know and I am also sure Irsay is confident in Grigson and Pagano's ability to get a better effort out of them.  So I think he was more displeased with the how the team played Sunday than he was with Grigson and Pagano.  Again, people, myself included, are reading a lot into this tweet. 

Jim Irsay @JimIrsay 1d

Many starters played briefly or were nursing little injuries,but it was a crap performance,my apologies/My commanders got n earful from me!

This is what it sounded like to me...Hello World, Grigson and Pagano did a horrible job of getting the team prepared to play the Bills and i will get on them about it. I don't think Robert Kraft or Rooney would have publicly said something like this. Irsay was out of line and i don't see how anyone can defend it.

Because Irsay wanted too. Honestly I am guessing by the amount of displeasure that was expressed here after the Colts game that Irsay might have gotten a few fans with similar opinions expressing themselves to him on his twitter account. Irsay probably wanted those fans to know their feelings were not being ignored, this wouldn't be the first time he's done that on twitter. As for why he feels the need to do this Irsay listens to what people say about his football team and one of the major complaints he got during the Polian era is that they were too hush hush about everything and I am guessing he made the determination to be more open when he fired the Polians. If you listen to the presser when he fired the Polians he hinted at it when he told the media that they have had issues not being as open as they should be and that was something they were going to have to work on that's paraphrasing because I don't remember the exact quote.

I've already explained in other response how I felt Irsay's address of the coaching stuff went. You right Irsay likes to pander to the fans and this might very well be more of an example of that than it was meant to really be a shot at the coaching staff. Again, I think people are reading into this way too much.

Again, Kraft did something very similar to this when he went public about Welker's contract situation to pander to Pats fans a little bit, yet Pats fans defended that, now that it's our Owner pandering to our fans you are trying to treat it like it's a major issue. So our owner should keep everything in-house but it's okay for your Owner to go public about a contract? Sorry that's a double standard. Personally I didn't care that much about Kraft going public in his contract talks and I don't care much about Irsay's twitter account.

Read and cease all further response to the thread. Sums it all up perfectly.

You are "sad for Chuck and his staff?"  Really?  I would say that is either a wasted emotion or you just continuing to pick a scab. 

Jim Irsay @JimIrsay

1dMany starters played briefly or were nursing little injuries,but it was a crap performance,my apologies/My commanders got n earful from me!

This is what it sounded like to me...Hello World, Grigson and Pagano did a horrible job of getting the team prepared to play the Bills and i will get on them about it. I don't think Robert Kraft or Rooney would have publicly said something like this. Irsay was out of line and i don't see how anyone can defend it.

Who cares how Robert Kraft or Rooney would have handled it?

You know I always like and respect your posts.  And I want  to let you know, it was  nothing personal,  just addressing the Title of this thread and saying I don't think anyone was happy.   :giveup:

I know.....   and the feeling is very mutual...

I was only having a little fun with you....     no need to raise the flag of surrender....    ever.

We're good....     always!       :heart:       :flowers:        :luv:

(Uh-oh...   I hope my public declaration of love doesn't earn me a warning point...   or two!)      :thmup:

Right on. It is football right? Not life or death. And yet seven pages and counting and thread is only just 27 hours old ...

Well it wouldn't have had 7 pages if some of the same posters hadn't kept posting the same thing.  Get my drift am  :???:  How many replies have you posted on this thread  :???:

You are "sad for Chuck and his staff?"  Really?  I would say that is either a wasted emotion or you just continuing to pick a scab. 

You need to choose a profile picture, so I can create a meme of your profile picture saying "Dear god...", and then post it to threads like this where you are conspicuously absent.

Either that, or you need to show up sooner.

Jim Irsay @JimIrsay 1d

Many starters played briefly or were nursing little injuries,but it was a crap performance,my apologies/My commanders got n earful from me!

I don't get that at all the first part of that tweet is directed at the players and frankly it's right.  The second part pretty much says he talked to Grigson and Pagano about it.  He didn't come out and say they did a bad job.  That's reading into it a little bit.  For all we know Irsay went to them and said something like he was disappointed with the performance on Sunday and he expected more.  If that happened I would hardly say Irsay was bashing on them or saying they did a bad job and was more or less saying they need to do better which frankly Grigson and Pagnao would probably tell you themselves.

When asked about it today Pagano didn't sound that upset by it in fact if anything he seemed to agree with what Irsay said when he said "top to bottom we were all disappointed"   "we expect to go out and perform."

On top of that I still think this was mostly a show for fans who were probably tweeting to Irsay upset after the game and again judging by how fans react on here they tend to want some kind of action done when they aren't happy so Irsay gave them an action to make sure they knew they weren't being ignored.  I question how much of it was just a show for the fans and how much was real.  Case in point when Pagano was asked if Irsay talked to him yesterday he said "no".  I think Irsay might be putting on a little bit of a show here for the fans who were upset after Sunday's game more than anything else. 

Also as pointed out before Kraft did something very similar to this with Welker's contract talks.  He just used a different form of media to express his disappointment.  I hardly think this is something that Irsay needs to be called on the rug for, I think if anything it's being used as one of two things, people who were upset by Sunday's game using Irsay's tweet to justify their panic by saying see even the owner is upset over the game on Sunday or people who already don't like the fact Irsay tweets and trying to take another shot at him over twitter because they just don't like that he does it in the first place. Either way it's being spun to support their view point already and people are doing a lot of reading into it to see what they want to see from it. 

The majority of Colts fans don't think Irsay is a drunk, they like him and believe he is a great owner.. When all of those cease, then we can have this thread. Right now, it's just an excuse for Pats fans to take shots at us.

wanted to give a positive vote this AM , but after giving only 1 it said   ( You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day )

I dont understand  why unless its a 24 hr period as did many late yesterday afternoon

Well it wouldn't have had 7 pages if some of the same posters hadn't kept posting the same thing.  Get my drift am  :???:  How many replies have you posted on this thread  :???:

At least half of a page I would estimate but many of those were responses to others quoting me. I have to respond Suzie Q. I just have to. ;)

The majority of Colts fans don't think Irsay is a drunk, they like him and believe he is a great owner.. When all of those cease, then we can have this thread. Right now, it's just an excuse for Pats fans to take shots at us.

lol. Have you read this thread? Started by a Colt fan I might add. A great many Colts fans are taking shots at Irsay ...

wanted to give a positive vote this AM , but after giving only 1 it said   ( You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day )

I dont understand  why unless its a 24 hr period as did many late yesterday afternoon

yes it is 24 hours

I agree as if some need an excuse .

When your go too tight end is the Leader of Murder Inc  & sitting in a cage for shooting a person , Taking troll shots at the owner of our team seems petty & childish .