Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay Not Happy with Team's Performance....

NewColtsFan

Once again...  this was the tweet:   Many starters played briefly or were nursing little injuries,but it was a crap performance,my apologies/My commanders got n earful from me!

The part in red is just simply  a true statement.    The ~ "got n earful" part of the tweet  is what has so many upset.  

Didn't bother me in the least that he said that,  but it did bother me to hear you say that you were ashamed to be a Colts Fan.

We can just agree to disagree here.   

Why was Mr. Irsay so compelled to tell the entire world what you highlighted in red? That speaks volumes about Mr. Irsay & it indicates that Mr. Irsay hasn't  learned that "discretion is the better part of valor." Just because an owner thinks something; it doesn't mean that they need to be the center of attention, say it aloud, or use their discomfort over just a mere preseason game to let everybody on the internet read it. Yes, I'm ashamed to be a Colts fan when the owner refuses to exercise some decorum. There is a time & a place to make an owners concerns known privately not across cyberspace. He's an owner; He should know better that's why I'm ashamed right now. It's really sad & childish actually. 

People are always free to disagree with me. SW1 is fine with that. It just irritates me when an owner who should put the team before his own popularity really doesn't. I expect owners to be like silent partners. Voice your concerns in private not in a public square computer setting across the Internet. 

I am quite sure that the players & coaching staff realize that their 2nd half performance left a lot to be desired & needs considerable work. Jim's not revealing anything they didn't already know. I just don't particularly care for Mr. Irsay's desired method of execution. That's why I am disappointed, disgusted, & upset at what he said. 

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do believe Irsay is upset as he views this as his personal stamp on the franchise, and this loss upset him. He may have felt that because Polian was 16 years his senior, he did not speak up enough during the Manning years. As Grigson is 13 years younger than Irsay , it is a different dynamic with a younger GM where Irsay feels more comfortable speaking up. Add to this , making the changes two years ago to go into a different direction , may have helped produce this tweet. Irsay , I believe , sees himself as an NFL elder statesman , who was held back in the past by Polian , and to a lesser extent Manning. The logical thing was to go with a more plyable, younger GM , who is easier to control than an older Bill Polian. Letting Manning go , and picking Luck further distanced him from the past. When you go on a different direction, there is pressure to come through for the fans, and this may have caused the tone of the tweets about the Bills game.

That all sounds very logical and I could actually agree....I almost do given some of his past tweets right after the 2011 debacle.......But there is one large chink in this thought process.......Irsay is(and was during the Polian era) the owner of the team and his word as far as the direction of the team goes is(and was even if he did not exercise it much through twitter or any other media outlet) law, I personally see that he is just wanting to put the best product out there for both the him and the rest of us fans to enjoy, Irsay is a fan I whole heartedly believe but he is also a businessman, He wants to put a product out there that will put money in his pocket and there is NOTHING wrong with that, we ALL want to see the Colts win as well and thats a win for everyone

what I dont get is why harnish played almost 3 quarters

Andrew wasn't going to play without the rest of the starters and looked fine, Hasselbeck looked good and they know they are keeping them.  They are trying to figure out if they are going to keep Harnish or not.  So they are going to play him to see if they should keep him or not. 

lol I didn't even get to see the game until not long ago tonight since I am traveling. Not that unusual though compared to many past Colts preseason games but the lack of effort I felt was there which is concerning to me more then the final score. So yes despite the fact that it was just preseason it was a crappy game.

Look, I hate twitter. I hate facebook. I hate all of these ways of communicating and personally would not mind if somehow it was eliminated. I feel they cause more problems then anything.

But, Irsay as the owner really can say whatever he wants and in this case he is at least telling the truth. Would I have said this out loud? Probably not. Will it light a fire under the team and help them long term? Time will tell.

I think Irsay might be feeling a lack of effort/motivation right now after last seasons magical ride and he might be telling them behind closed doors and on twitter, "Improve, 11-5 in 2012 isn't going to save you in 2013. Get it together."

I said a lot of times last season to just enjoy it, after a loss or win. Last season was when we had expectations at rock bottom and everything felt special and extra appreciated.

Now the tide is turning. It is going to get MUCH much tougher and everyone is going to get much much more critical.

I think what Irsay wants to see is the effort and energy more then anything right now. And preparation.

I know the Packers got shut out in preseason game 1 and the Falcons sucked but those are both proven playoff teams every year. Like our older Colts teams were.

I think Irsay is keeping a much more careful eye on what is happening right now, we still have a lot to prove everywhere. I hope it all works out and the game vs. the Giants eases some concerns.

JMO

Of course it is still the first game in preseason and well.....you can be TOO anal over it.

It's a mixed bag with me at times here too. I am not sure, I agree and disagree with Irsay at the same time in terms of intentions here he may have. I don't extensively nitpick either all the time so hmmm......

I just am not sure it's the right time to overreact. Lets say we lost week 1 to the Raiders at home. I think people would worry. Maybe Irsay sees the first half of the schedule and to an extent he is concerned the team is not ready or feeling enough urgency?

Really not sure if there is a right or wrong answer here with all the opinions I see.

lol I didn't even get to see the game until not long ago tonight since I am traveling. Not that unusual though compared to many past Colts preseason games but the lack of effort I felt was there which is concerning to me more then the final score. So yes despite the fact that it was just preseason it was a crappy game.

Look, I hate twitter. I hate facebook. I hate all of these ways of communicating and personally would not mind if somehow it was eliminated. I feel they cause more problems then anything.

But, Irsay as the owner really can say whatever he wants and in this case he is at least telling the truth. Would I have said this out loud? Probably not. Will it light a fire under the team and help them long term? Time will tell.

I think Irsay might be feeling a lack of effort/motivation right now after last seasons magical ride and he might be telling them behind closed doors and on twitter, "Improve, 11-5 in 2012 isn't going to save you in 2013. Get it together."

I said a lot of times last season to just enjoy it, after a loss or win. Last season was when we had expectations at rock bottom and everything felt special and extra appreciated.

Now the tide is turning. It is going to get MUCH much tougher and everyone is going to get much much more critical.

I think what Irsay wants to see is the effort and energy more then anything right now. And preparation.

I know the Packers got shut out in preseason game 1 and the Falcons sucked but those are both proven playoff teams every year. Like our older Colts teams were.

I think Irsay is keeping a much more careful eye on what is happening right now, we still have a lot to prove everywhere. I hope it all works out and the game vs. the Giants eases some concerns.

JMO

Sure, an owner can do whatever they want. No one can stop the man controlling the purse strings & paying everyone's salary. Does Jim want a positive return on his investment? Most definitely. Are high expectations a good thing? Yes, as long as the owner is realistic & doesn't create an impossible plateau to reach too quickly. Your last line really hit me Jules. We are only talking about our 2nd Preseason game here coming up. They mean nothing. All you are really doing is cutting down the roster anyway to 53 guys & seeing who will make the team & bounce off the bubble usually securing a spot on Special Teams. 

When Jim Mora was HC of the Seattle Seahawks he won all his preseason games, played poorly in the regular season, & got fired. My point is that winning in the preseason is insignificant. Just get some decent reps with the starters for a couple of series in the 3rd game & everything else tends to work itself out. Why push the panic/discipline button so early Jim? Striving for perfection is okay as long you don't push everyone so hard that you perpetuate an atmosphere of burnout. It's a long season Jim. Pace yourself. 

Irrational fans: "OMG we got blown out what is wrong with this team!!!!!!"

Irsay: "Don't worry guys I feel upset about that effort to, I'm going to let the coaching staff know this isn't the team we were expecting to see."

Irrational fans: "OMG IRSAY WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?!?!! TWEETING ABOUT TELLING THE COACHING STAFF THAT A BAD EFFORT WAS UNACCEPTABLE?!?!?? WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? THE OWNER OF THE TEAM OR SOMETHING?!?

Irsay: "Don't worry guys I feel upset about that effort to, I'm going to let the coaching staff know this isn't the team we were expecting to see."

Irrational fans: "OMG IRSAY WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?!?!! TWEETING ABOUT TELLING THE COACHING STAFF THAT A BAD EFFORT WAS UNACCEPTABLE?!?!?? WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? THE OWNER OF THE TEAM OR SOMETHING?!?

My only regret is that I have but one 'like' to give.

Sure, an owner can do whatever they want. No one can stop the man controlling the purse strings & paying everyone's salary. Does Jim want a positive return on his investment? Most definitely. Are high expectations a good thing? Yes, as long as the owner is realistic & doesn't create an impossible plateau to reach too quickly. Your last line really hit me Jules. We are only talking about our 2nd Preseason game here coming up. They mean nothing. All you are really doing is cutting down the roster anyway to 53 guys & seeing who will make the team & bounce off the bubble usually securing a spot on Special Teams. 

When Jim Mora was HC of the Seattle Seahawks he won all his preseason games, played poorly in the regular season, & got fired. My point is that winning in the preseason is insignificant. Just get some decent reps with the starters for a couple of series in the 3rd game & everything else tends to work itself out. Why push the panic/discipline button so early Jim? Striving for perfection is okay as long you don't push everyone so hard that you perpetuate an atmosphere of burnout. It's a long season Jim. Pace yourself. 

I do wonder why Irsay feels a tad pent up this early in preseason? Are his expectations unwildly high for this season or is he upset the team lost at home when fans pay good money?

I am not sure. I am kinda on the fence with this one.

There is no real game planning for us and several players were out or knicked up right? Guys are being cautious too since well look at all the injuries around the league too. You just want to shake off some rust and get back in the groove of real football again.

I think I am just a little confused lol.

I have no problem with the message just how it was delivered & the preferred method of public domain distribution House. Like every great comedian will tell you, it's not the joke itself that is funny, but rather how it is released & dispersed to the audience that makes the experience unforgettable for all the right or wrong reasons. 

Last year was a little different too. Luck was a rookie in our first preseason game and we blew out the Rams. You know kinda like that QB starting for the Bills is a rookie lol. Things are different when you have a rook at QB too IMO.

I have no problem with the message just how it was delivered & the preferred method of public domain distribution House. Like every great comedian will tell you, it's not the joke itself that is funny, but rather how it is released & dispersed to the audience that makes the experience unforgettable for all the right or wrong reasons. 

I am sometimes not sure Irsay understands how his tweets come off to many. He uses it as a way to express his own thoughts but does not always think about how the average person will interpret them too.

I am sometimes not sure Irsay understands how his tweets come off to many. He uses it as a way to express his own thoughts but does not always think about how the average person will interpret them too.

I just don't think Irsay cares what people think of his tweets.  In his mind he's connecting with the fans and that's what he's wanting to do.  I'll say this again, for years people complained about Polian being way to hush hush about how things were done with the Colts, I think Irsay heard that and is trying to change that and now people complain that he's doing that.  Sometimes you just can't win. 

I just don't think Irsay cares what people think of his tweets.  In his mind he's connecting with the fans and that's what he's wanting to do.  I'll say this again, for years people complained about Polian being way to hush hush about how things were done with the Colts, I think Irsay heard that and is trying to change that and now people complain that he's doing that.  Sometimes you just can't win. 

Agree. I am confused too.

Look on the plus side.

THE ROAD TO 0-16 STARTS SOON!!!!! :cheer2:

Does anyone really think the coaching staff were getting pats on the back though? He said nothing we all didn't already know. He didn't call out individuals, or players. He just said he talked to the coaching staff about the loss. Because although it was only preseason, the 2nd&3rd units looked like they forgot where they were. They looked embarrassingly bad.

It's no different than a coach saying to the media "We played poorly today, and we are going to sit down with the players, and get this sorted out."

It's just coming from the owner, from his own personal account. Call me when he's arranging a press day for himself just so he can call out the coaching staff.

Does anyone really think the coaching staff were getting pats on the back though? He said nothing we all didn't already know. He didn't call out individuals, or players. He just said he talked to the coaching staff about the loss. Because although it was only preseason, the 2nd&3rd units looked like they forgot where they were. They looked embarrassingly bad.

It's no different than a coach saying to the media "We played poorly today, and we are going to sit down with the players, and get this sorted out."

It's just coming from the owner, from his own personal account. Call me when he's arranging a press day for himself just so he can call out the coaching staff.

I respect your position House, but SW1 remains steadfast in my belief that any lackluster performances that an owner is unhappy with doesn't leave the locker room or team facility & that includes disciplinary actions on staff & player personnel too. Lock it down like the seals on a submarine about to submerge deep into the sea. 

Our defense made tuel to easeley look like brady to welker lol.

I am sorry, maybe I wrong but I just don't have it in me to get that upset about a guy beating up on a bunch of players who aren't going to be on the team in the month.  I mean yeah of course I wished they played better but at the end of the day I am much more interested in how the starters and first string back ups looked and when they were in the game the Colts were winning.  They are the ones who are going to be here in a month's time and decide if we win or lose games that count in the win/loss column.  If the Bills had jumped out to a 21-0 by the end of the first quarter then I would be more concerned but the truth is by the time we took out most of our first two strings groups they had six points.  The offense could have done a little more but the Fleener fumble (which I want to be clear about can be fixed) and not catching the TDs pass probably took some points off the board but since it's the first pre-season game those things are going to happen, like someone else said before the first pre-season game is really about knocking the rust off and getting used to real football again for the starters.  I didn't see anything out of them that really truly concerns me other than maybe a lack of a pass rush, and even at that we were missing three of our main blitzers yesterday plus our top draft pick who is a pass rusher. 

I am sure Irsay wasn't happy with the effort from the third string guys and you know what probably happened when he sat down to talk to Grigson and Pagano about it they probably went yeah we know we aren't happy either and we are going to make it better and went on about their day.  I am not sure I buy the idea that it was this big blow up that some are making it out to be. 

Sorry Stephen not all of that is directed at you in fact you just kinda made me think of it that's all.   

I do wonder why Irsay feels a tad pent up this early in preseason? Are his expectations unwildly high for this season or is he upset the team lost at home when fans pay good money?

I am not sure. I am kinda on the fence with this one.

There is no real game planning for us and several players were out or knicked up right? Guys are being cautious too since well look at all the injuries around the league too.

You just want to shake off some rust and get back in the groove of real football again.

I think I am just a little confused lol.

A good point Jules. This is the 1st time our guys have really hit or collided with other players not on their squad. Neither Mr. Irsay or the Colts fan base can expect an epic, olympic gold winning performance in our 1st real game action this season.

Making any comment about a less than inspiring initial game outing is premature at best & completely unfounded at worst. That's like a high school driving instructor demanding that all his students parallel park smoothly after just acquiring their permits, concluding their coursework, & getting behind the wheel for the very 1st time. A noble goal, but an unrealistic expectation. 

A good point Jules. This is the 1st time our guys have really hit or collided with other players not on their squad. Neither Mr. Irsay or the Colts fan base can expect an epic, olympic gold winning performance in our 1st real game action this season.

Making any comment about a less than inspiring initial game outing is premature at best & completely unfounded at worst. That's like a high school driving instructor demanding that all his students parallel park smoothly after just acquiring their permits, concluding their coursework, & getting behind the wheel for the very 1st time. A noble goal, but an unrealistic expectation. 

I am sure it will be okay. The effort and sharpness will improve as preseason progresses.

However, if it doesn't then we can always suck for ____.

I am sure it will be okay. The effort and sharpness will improve as preseason progresses.

No argument there Jules, but aside from delivery, you wanna know what else makes a comedian great? An impeccable sense of timing...The same could also be said for NFL owners & coaches too. This was not the right time to drop the discipline sledge hammer or even hint at dropping it. Way too early. Not every crisis is a 4 alarm fire Jim...Take a deep breathe...

I was informed we would be sucking for Jadeveon Clowney.  I think he plays a 4-3 end though and I am not sure if that will work in our new defense, maybe we should scrap the 0-16 thing and try to win some games?

"...My commanders got n earful from me!" --Jim Irsay Tweet...

Wow, that statement just rubs me the wrong way & comes across as the epitome of arrogance to me. Your commanders? Really Jim? Are you a 5 star General serving in Iraq, Afghanistan, Bosnia, or some other war torn village? Sigh...Did you graduate from West Point or Annapolis?  haha

Yes Jim, you own the Indianapolis Colts & you are entitled to say what you what when you want, but please try not to come across as...an owner that elevates himself above the greater good of the team. Okay, I will admit it's hard to determine a person's intent online. Maybe Jim was trying to be sarcastic & charming in a dark humor kind of way. I don't know. Anything is possible I suppose...

I agree with Irsay's frustrations mainly because of how positive this off season has been including the praise about all the individual players throughout OTA's and first 2 weeks of camp. He knows that the players and team as a whole were not playing to their potential that was shown in camp. I think he's just saying, "we're better than this"

Posted · Hidden by Superman, August 13, 2013 - inflammatory
Hidden by Superman, August 13, 2013 - inflammatory

You sir are just as crazy as sw1. Irsay didnt tweet what he thought about the coaching staff he just told them to get there act togather.

You guys are whats wrong with this country. I was in the military and served in iraq and i got my butt handed to me all the time it didnt make me mad it made me exceed.

You and sw1 need to grow up and act like adults you two are the spoiled little brats...

As a leader/owner, you need to keep some distance from the fans. You can't be tweeting in house thoughts about your coaching staff to anyone that will listen on social media. The coaching staff needs to know the owner has their back , even during a ridiculous pre-season game. I understand how he was embarrassed for his team and the fans, but talk to the commanders behind closed doors. When you think about it, how many players get into trouble over Twitter. NFL teams warn players about tweeting , but I guess when you are owner , you can tweet what you want.

Why are some people acting like he was a tyrant berating his "commanders", or acting like he's a spoiled rich owner throwing a hissy fit? Most of you are on this forum daily, and most of you have all (in some way shape or form) participated (good or bad) in one of the many THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!!! threads. This is a major mountain out of a mole hill moment that people are running wild with. Many "fans" outside of the die hards are a very fickle bunch. To me, this tweet is nothing more than telling the fans that this type of performance isn't acceptable (preseason game 1 or not). Not to him, not to us, and not to anybody in the locker room. I expect way more from this team than what I saw Sunday, and I've spent no where near $140 mil.

He's precisely acting like a spoiled rich owner throwing a hissy fit.

please, being a bit of a drama queen aren't you?  Over reacting at the very least.  Were you scared to leave your room the first time your parents were upset with you and sent you there?

Let me ask you something, didn't this same owner tweet this off-season that he had this really big trade in the works and then poof...nothing which prompted some to think he was drunk when he was tweeting, http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/colts_owner_jim_irsay_gets_drunk_tweets_about_possible_trade/13164313. Do you really think he is a stable guy especially when he takes to Twitter? Look at some of these tweets, http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/colts_owner_jim_irsay_gets_drunk_tweets_about_possible_trade/13164313

Smart, savvy owners know that private conversations go much further then public ones. His tweets are intentional as some here have noted. He likes the drama and the front cover of ESPN. So yes, that would scare me to be one of his "commanders."

This is the first preseason game. What if the Colts struggle out of the gate or all season as some think they might given the schedule? His first concern should never be what do the fans think and how can I appease them (which BTW I don't think it is, he just likes to hear himself talk or tweet) but how can I build/motivate this team to win. In the end that is what the fans want and it is his job to do just that not post on Twitter like a 12 year old scolding his underlings after the first preseason game when the third string played most of the game.

Wow, that statement just rubs me the wrong way & comes across as the epitome of arrogance to me. Your commanders? Really Southwest1? Are you a 5 star General serving in Iraq, Afghanistan, Bosnia, or some other war torn village? Sigh...Did you graduate from West Point or Annapolis?  haha

Yes Southwest1, you own the Indianapolis Colts & you are entitled to say what you what when you want, but please try not to come across as...an owner that elevates himself above the greater good of the team. Okay, I will admit it's hard to determine a person's intent online. Maybe Southwest1 was trying to be sarcastic & charming in a dark humor kind of way. I don't know. Anything is possible I suppose...

Fixed it for ya.

what I dont get is why harnish played almost 3 quarters

Thanks I was wondering the same thing. I thought Hasselback would have been in until halftime at least. That could have caused some irritation in Irsays eyes also.    :dunno:       Hard to evaluate players with a 3rd string QB in my opinion. :)

Why are some people acting like he was a tyrant berating his "commanders", or acting like he's a spoiled rich owner throwing a hissy fit?  Most of you are on this forum daily, and most of you have all (in some way shape or form) participated (good or bad) in one of the many THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!!! threads.  This is a major mountain out of a mole hill moment that people are running wild with.  Many "fans" outside of the die hards are a very fickle bunch.  To me, this tweet is nothing more than telling the fans that this type of performance isn't acceptable (preseason game 1 or not).  Not to him, not to us, and not to anybody in the locker room.  I expect way more from this team than what I saw Sunday, and I've spent no where near $140 mil.

It's because, some people already do not like him and will continue to use every opportunity they see to express this

Or they hate his use of twitter and will use every opportunity to post repeatedly about this.

They do not tire of expressing this

It's like other subjects on which people have rabid opinions and always bring about the same type of thread.

Let me ask you something, didn't this same owner tweet this off-season that he had this really big trade in the works and then poof...nothing which prompted some to think he was drunk when he was tweeting, http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/colts_owner_jim_irsay_gets_drunk_tweets_about_possible_trade/13164313. Do you really think he is a stable guy especially when he takes to Twitter? Look at some of these tweets, http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/colts_owner_jim_irsay_gets_drunk_tweets_about_possible_trade/13164313

Smart, savvy owners know that private conversations go much further then public ones. His tweets are intentional as some here have noted. He likes the drama and the front cover of ESPN. So yes, that would scare me to be one of his "commanders."

This is the first preseason game. What if the Colts struggle out of the gate or all season as some think they might given the schedule? His first concern should never be what do the fans think and how can I appease them (which BTW I don't think it is, he just likes to hear himself talk or tweet) but how can I build/motivate this team to win. In the end that is what the fans want and it is his job to do just that not post on Twitter like a 12 year old scolding his underlings after the first preseason game when the third string played most of the game.

So you answer my questions to you, not by answering any of them, but by asking questions in return.  Classic sign of somebody that has no answers or rebuttal to a ridiculous statement they made earlier.  

Your statements in the bold are nothing but personal jabs at Mr. Irsay.  I think time and time again Irsay has shown himself to be smart and savvy, and I've never questioned whether he's had too many (or any for that matter) to drink while saying anything.  But then again I'm not a fan of another team trying to stir the pot.  I really don't understand why people get so bent out of shape with his tweeting.  Seriously, get a life already.

This team does have a harder schedule than last season, and I fully expect it to show on our record.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks that way, as many have pointed out before.  But I also expect this team to be competitive, and I think that is what Irsay expects too.  I didn't really see any of that Sunday, I didn't see any fire from those third stringers you mentioned trying to make this roster.  Once again, to me, you are making a mountain out of a mole hill, and taking shots at a person when you think you've been given an opportunity

He's precisely acting like a spoiled rich owner throwing a hissy fit.

Please, I suppose he should just be like your hooded wonder over there in NE, and storm off the field, no handshakes and no comment the press, if he can even be bothered to stand in front of the media when something doesn't go his way.  Talk about throwing a hissy fit.

Please, I suppose he should just be like your hooded wonder over there in NE, and storm off the field, no handshakes and no comment the press, if he can even be bothered to stand in front of the media when something doesn't go his way. Talk about throwing a hissy fit.

Inb4hesnotasoreloserjusthateslosing.