Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay Not Happy with Team's Performance....

NewColtsFan

That's all I'm saying. He's the owner; I think he can speak freely with his guys without it completely tearing their confidence apart.

And, truth be told, a better performance top down would be nice to see.

Just had a mental image of Irsay pointing in the tear streaked faces of Pagano and Grigson, while screaming at the top of his lungs that money doesn't grow on trees, that he should give Chris Polian a call, and how he didn't save a lot of money by switching to GIECO!

Then followed by its okay and group hug.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First preseason game. Irsay can say whatever he wants to his team but when you go public that is different. No one likes to be reemed out pubicly so I would say Pagano is not happy. He will be checking his twitter account now after every bad play I am sure.

No one was reamed out publicly. We don't know what happened privately.

What I can't stand is all the know-nothings on the ESPN comment board saying "Irsay is just like his Dad" (nothing could be further from the truth) and calling him a drunk. That pisses me off. Even changing their boards to Facebook accounts still doesn't prevent * who don't know the team spouting off stupidity. Was he right to call them out on Twitter? I don't know. But it made news and just reinforced the ignorance most people outside of Indy (and other fans that follow the team) have for him.

I personally do not have a problem with Jim expecting a better performance. Even though it was just the 1st preseason game and it has very little significance, It shows me that Jim isn't going to tolerate 2nd rate play and effort. This should light a fire under all their butts and let each and every player know that they better bring it every game or they will be shown the door.

I have one question:

I was under the impression that the running game was going to be a focus.  I know that the Colts are a pass heavy team and I'm good with that.  I did see some running plays, but not any more than I would have seen in the past.  Was the "focus on the run" all just hype?  Also, I noticed that the third team that was completely humiliated on the field, didn't try running that ball at all.  Maybe they did and I was past the point of caring at the moment.  I just don't remember them even trying to run in the second half.  Please let me know if I'm wrong (it's been known to happen)?

What I can't stand is all the know-nothings on the ESPN comment board saying "Irsay is just like his Dad" (nothing could be further from the truth) and calling him a drunk. That tickes me off. Even changing their boards to Facebook accounts still doesn't prevent * who don't know the team spouting off stupidity. Was he right to call them out on Twitter? I don't know. But it made news and just reinforced the ignorance most people outside of Indy (and other fans that follow the team) have for him.

I never read the ESPN chat boards. I would recommend doing the same. Everyone there is just trying to get a rise out of you.

I don't disagree one bit, or have a problem at all with what Mr. Irsay tweeted...

He likes to stay connected to the Fans,  He's a Great Owner that gives back to the Fans,  ALL THE TIME

and  I think this was his way of letting the fans know, he too, like the rest of us was disappointed in what he saw

on the field yesterday.    He expects more, as we all do.

Here's what i think.

In todays day people feel they are above repramend. I think Grigs and Pags got what they deserved I still think the world of both but to me its about building the monster and it starts now and starts with them two and the owner. Irsay did his part and now its up to Grigs, coaches and players.

This team is full of talent and we played like we were in highschool.

I dont believe Grigs or Pags took this lightly and I really dont believe they are butt hurt over it either. Im sure they will fix it and move on. I wouldnt want to be a player right now either lol.

Also Pags is a much stronger person then what amfootball is giving him, his confidence is not affected at all by this. Jim stood by him all last year.

I would be upset too if somebody spent that much of my money and i dont care if its the preaseason or not they had better produce.

Good job Mr. Irsay set a fire under there butts....

What I can't stand is all the know-nothings on the ESPN comment board saying "Irsay is just like his Dad" (nothing could be further from the truth) and calling him a drunk. That tickes me off. Even changing their boards to Facebook accounts still doesn't prevent * who don't know the team spouting off stupidity. Was he right to call them out on Twitter? I don't know. But it made news and just reinforced the ignorance most people outside of Indy (and other fans that follow the team) have for him.

The know nothing, ESPN followers have also picked up on the " caught lighting in the bootle " line, because luck only exists when it fits one's argument.

I have one question:

I was under the impression that the running game was going to be a focus.  I know that the Colts are a pass heavy team and I'm good with that.  I did see some running plays, but not any more than I would have seen in the past.  Was the "focus on the run" all just hype?  Also, I noticed that the third team that was completely humiliated on the field, didn't try running that ball at all.  Maybe they did and I was past the point of caring at the moment.  I just don't remember them even trying to run in the second half.  Please let me know if I'm wrong (it's been known to happen)?

Good point. I noticed that we passed quite  a few times on 2nd and 3rd and short.  I remember thinking to myself that this was the perfect time to show off some of that running game, and then we come out and pass.  Maybe not be much of anything but i found it a little puzzling.  Maybe Irsay questioned the commanders on that lol.

Honestly.....

I'm rarely impressed with owners who do this and make it known publicly.    Too Jerry Jones-like for me.

But I'm OK with Irsay doing this.    The line between, say,  10-6 and making the playoffs and 8-8 and missing the playoffs is very, very thin.     Most fans do not understand that.     It doesn't take much to have a season go sideways....

Irsay simply wants tog et everyone's attention.    He doesn't want guys walking around the facility saying "no big deal, it's only pre-season game #1..."

He wants everyone saying....   "Hey,  let's get our act together for pre-season game #2!   And be darn sure of it!!"

This was a little butt-kick, and I'm glad he did it.

With all due respect to Mr. Irsay, till we are down 40 to 3 to the Browns in the middle of the third quarter of the third pre-season game I am not going to panic over any pre-season game result.  If others wish to do so please have at it.

For what it's worth the Colts were something like 4-22 in the pre-season under Dungy and several of those loses were not close.

I personally do not have a problem with Jim expecting a better performance. Even though it was just the 1st preseason game and it has very little significance, It shows me that Jim isn't going to tolerate 2nd rate play and effort. This should light a fire under all their butts and let each and every player know that they better bring it every game or they will be shown the door.

Balzar,  Back in the House!!

A big welcome back,  my man!!     You've been away too long and been missed!!

Good to see you posting again!!        :thmup:

Honestly.....

I'm rarely impressed with owners who do this and make it known publicly.    Too Jerry Jones-like for me.

But I'm OK with Irsay doing this.    The line between, say,  10-6 and making the playoffs and 8-8 and missing the playoffs is very, very thin.     Most fans do not understand that.     It doesn't take much to have a season go sideways....

Irsay simply wants tog et everyone's attention.    He doesn't want guys walking around the facility saying "no big deal, it's only pre-season game #1..."

He wants everyone saying....   "Hey,  let's get our act together for pre-season game #2!   And be darn sure of it!!"

This was a little butt-kick, and I'm glad he did it.

It screams to me of an owner who does not have a lot of faith in his GM, coach or players. What was Manning's record in the pre-season? Not good at all. And many games were not close. And never did Irsay do this.

It screams to me of an owner who does not have a lot of faith in his GM, coach or players. What was Manning's record in the pre-season? Not good at all. And many games were not close. And never did Irsay do this.

You do realize that your posts are out in the open for everyone to see?

That's not a post I'd feel good about others seeing.....

But hey,  everyone is different..... 

good grief am

It could be what you say but much more likely it is a reaction after spending a ton of money and having a bad showing

we were all somewhat frustrated so, I can imagine how I'd feel if I was footing the bill

You do realize that your posts are out in the open for everyone to see?

That's not a post I'd feel good about others seeing.....

But hey, everyone is different.....

as much as i hate to, i have to agree with him. During the Manning/dungy era preseason was a joke. I'm not sure we ever had a winning record in the preseason while Manning was here

good grief am

It could be what you say but much more likely it is a reaction after spending a ton of money and having a bad showing

we were all somewhat frustrated so, I can imagine how I'd feel if I was footing the bill

With all due respect Nadine, spending a lot of money does not equal championships or even guarantee a good season. If that was the case the NY Yankees would be world champs every year.

This is the thing that irks me to no end. When at any point last year did the Colts coaches or team not show effort or heart? That season might have been one of the gutsy seasons I have ever seen by a young team and a OC turned HC. How many fourth quarter comebacks? When did the team ever lay down even being down by 18 to the Packers at half? I mean Arians was coach of the year and the team made the playoffs. I can understand owners criticizing teams like the Jets and Raiders who mail it in every year but the Colts? Come on. After the first preseason game to boot? Irsay is losing it big time.

With all due respect to Mr. Irsay, till we are down 40 to 3 to the Browns in the middle of the third quarter of the third pre-season game I am not going to panic over any pre-season game result.  If others wish to do so please have at it.

For what it's worth the Colts were something like 4-22 in the pre-season under Dungy and several of those loses were not close.

Just to address the bolded, I don't think Irsay is panicking. Not saying you think he is, I'm just piggybacking off that comment. Just because he's upset at a substandard showing -- and expressed it -- doesn't mean he's panicking.

You want to see panicking, go read some of the comments from yesterday.

With all due respect Nadine, spending a lot of money does not equal championships or even guarantee a good season. If that was the case the NY Yankees would be world champs every year.

This is the thing that irks me to no end. When at any point last year did the Colts coaches or team not show effort or heart? That season might have been one of the gutsy seasons I have ever seen by a young team and a OC turned HC. How many fourth quarter comebacks? When did the team ever lay down even being down by 18 to the Packers at half? I mean Arians was coach of the year and the team made the playoffs. I can understand owners criticizing teams like the Jets and Raiders who mail it in every year but the Colts? Come on. After the first preseason game to boot? Irsay is losing it big time.

huh?  I was just talking about the off season spending

In any case I know from past experience that you are often eager to find fault with the colts fo

so, I can see how you came to your conclusion

Just to address the bolded, I don't think Irsay is panicking. Not saying you think he is, I'm just piggybacking off that comment. Just because he's upset at a substandard showing -- and expressed it -- doesn't mean he's panicking.

You want to see panicking, go read some of the comments from yesterday.

I guess I should have worded what I was trying to say better, I didn't mean to make it sound like I think Irsay is panicking because I don't.  The later part of what I said was more directed at the people who are panicking over yesterday and using what Irsay said to justify that. 

Honestly I think Irsay is just responding to his fans who he knows weren't happy yesterday and wants it to look like he's just not sitting around ignoring their concerns. 

Irsay is losing what? And why?

Do you think the team is above criticism, following yesterday's performance?

The Colts had an awesome year last year. I don't think any of us Colts fans take that for granted. But that has little to do with the mistakes that were made on the field yesterday.

huh?  I was just talking about the off season spending

In any case I know from past experience that you are often eager to find fault with the colts fo

so, I can see how you came to your conclusion

My post was addressing just that. Spending a lot of money just does not equal winning. It is not that simple. These are grown men with many of them nervous to try and make team not to mention out of sync as it was the first preseason game. Many teams have looked similar. Seems like a knee jerk reaction.

My post was addressing just that. Spending a lot of money just does not equal winning. It is not that simple. These are grown men with many of them nervous to try and make team not to mention out of sync as it was the first preseason game. Many teams have looked similar. Seems like a knee jerk reaction.

Ok

I guess I should have worded what I was trying to say better, I didn't mean to make it sound like I think Irsay is panicking because I don't.  The later part of what I said was more directed at the people who are panicking over yesterday and using what Irsay said to justify that. 

Honestly I think Irsay is just responding to his fans who he knows weren't happy yesterday and wants it to look like he's just not sitting around ignoring their concerns. 

Parcells had a classic line addressing this situation of appeasing fans: "If you start listening to the fans, soon you will be sitting with them."

Irsay is losing what? And why?

Do you think the team is above criticism, following yesterday's performance?

The Colts had an awesome year last year. I don't think any of us Colts fans take that for granted. But that has little to do with the mistakes that were made on the field yesterday.

No. But private for sure not public. The tweeing is just ridiculous. I think most fans know the owner talks to his team frequently and many times he is not happy. But few go public. This echoes a Jerry Jones move.

Nonsense!

You missed Irsay's point.

Um, it is a post board. So yes I know. And what was your issue with the post?

I was being facetious....   Having a little fun at your expense....    just some playful teasing...   (well,  mostly playful)

But....

My issue was this sentence.....      

"It screams to me of an owner who does not have a lot of faith in his GM, coach or players." 

I think that's a gross over-exaggeration....   Irsay loves, LOVES Grigson and Pagano.    Not sure he could be happier with either of them overall.    This was a blip on the radar.    But Irsay wants to get everyone's attention from top on down.   Which is the right thing to do.    

He knew this would be picked up by everyone in the media.   It was deliberate.    Again,  it's a good solid butt-kick.   I think that's fine.     I just don't think it comes close to "does not have a lot of faith in his GM, coach or players"    Night and day different.

Just my view of things....

As much as I hate Irsay's tweeting I will say that I have no problem with him coming out publicly in his distaste for that performance this weekend. Set the tone early....even preseason that that kind of effort was uncalled for and we won't pay for that kind of performance. It sends a message from the top down that no matter if its practice, preseason, or regular season we have to play with heart...effort...anything less is unacceptable. How you practice is how you will play...and the indication from the game wasn't that the second and third stringers were just outclassed but that they didn't play hard....and THAT will never be acceptable. I think he just gave Pagano something to spur his players with....as in we didn't gut it out...we didn't finish plays and not just you guys but all our * are on the line. No problems with that...just his choice of media.

I'm nitpicking. Of course Irsay knew his comments would have a wide audience when he tweeted them. I'm just saying that what ESPN does really doesn't have anything to do with what Irsay told his guys in private.

Perhaps his tweet could have been worded better. But given what he actually did say, I don't think there's anything to get all up in arms about. I certainly don't get the impression that he went crazy on his guys. 

Yeah I'm definitely nitpicking too.  I don't think Irsay was like way out of line or was up in arms or anything...I'm sure I exaggerated a bit earlier.  however, I do think his tweet could have been worded better.  When they've had really bad games in the past, he'd tweet something like "hey fans, sorry for the poor showing.  have no fear, we'll get things back on track" or something along those lines.  It was an acknowledgement that the team played poorly but they would all work together to see what's wrong and get things fixed.  This time there was just an unusual tone to it.  Basically...what Mac said.  

Had nothing to do with size or temperament. Mathis was undisciplined on the first two plays of the game, and it hurt the defense. It's a simple film study correction.

Man I really hope you're right, but I'm having a hard time getting myself to believe it.  He's never shown the ability to set the edge and even Polian said that Robert (and Dwight) were simply not good at it.  He could have helped them save face and said they weren't asked to do it but he didn't. He was very frank...they aren't good at it.  

I do hope you're right and the old dog can learn some new tricks, or that the tricks were there and he just never got a chance to show it..or something like that....if not then I hope Werner picks things up really quickly (which I think he will anyway). :)

The second run was away from Mathis. He overpursued, rather than cutting off the cut back lane. 

The first run, he tried to beat his man to the inside, rather than setting the edge. It's all technical. Mathis will be fine.

I thought the first 2 runs were both to Mathis's side so I just rewatched.  The second play was kind of hard to tell because the ball had already been snapped on the second run by the time they were finished showing the replay of the first.  However, I watched it frame by frame a few times and I'm 90% sure the second run was also to Robert's side.  He was pancaked flat by #38 of Buffalo pretty much right after the ball was snapped.  It was hard to verify that it definitely was mathis so I rewatched and was able to find Walden on the other side of the formation.  So I'm fairly positive the first 2 runs were towards Mathis.  

Nonsense....he didn't miss Irsay's point.  He simply disagreed with it...as do I.  I agree with Gocolts on this one.

Irsay is the owner...he gets to say 'how it is' whether you like it or not.

Sometimes teams/coaches need a little swift kick wakeup call...this was it and it seems like they deserved it...there was a lot of sloppy disinterested play out there Sunday...not much hustle and a lot of real incompetence.

I don't have any issues with the owner wanting to see more from the team.. maybe tweeting about it was a mistake, but not a huge one... The players that stunk it up know who they are and the coaching staff now knows more about the limitations of the bottom of the roster..

I'm not going to overreact about the first preseason game, but it makes me feel more confident that everybody from the very top of the organization is ready for business... You can't be all positive all of the time... The culture here in Indy starts with Mr. Irsay. His staff is a reflection of himself and the identity he wants associated with the team.

Irsay is telling us (and the staff) all that the time for sentimentality and glad handing has passed. We are no longer the "feel good story of the season". There will be no more press conferences where grown men cry. The days of hero worship and blind loyalty are behind us. This game can be won on emotion under the right circumstances, but this year we have to physically beat down our opponents. Even though it was a preseason game where the bottom of the roster played the majority, we got pushed around, and out muscled... That can't happen... we can lose a battle, but we shouldl not accept being beaten up out there...

Beat your man. Ws and Ls are meaningless in preseason, but there is no excuse for laying down and allowing the lowly Bills to dominate any phase of the game... I'm not worried about the roster, but I'm with Irsay about the performance... It got ugly and we need to improve with our depth players...

and Fleener needs to start showing that he is an NFL caliber player... just though i'd throw that in there because I was not impressed with him on Sunday... The kid still looks afraid.. maybe that hit he took will settle him a bit...

Irsay is the owner...he gets to say 'how it is' whether you like it or not.

Sometimes teams/coaches need a little swift kick wakeup call...this was it and it seems like they deserved it...there was a lot of sloppy disinterested play out there Sunday...not much hustle and a lot of real incompetence.

Captain_Obvious.jpg

Of course, Irsay can do and say whatever he wants.  I, on the other hand, don't always have to agree with him.  But thanks for playin ;)