Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay Not Happy with Team's Performance....

NewColtsFan

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest TeamLoloJones

Irsay wants preseason wins because the next home preseason game will sell more tickets.  That's it. End of discussion.  Let's move on.

Wow. what is up with Irsay? it is preseason, right? Talk about flying off the handle. Poor Pagano.

Who said anything about flying off the handle?

He said he gave the "commanders" an earful. Probably means he went and talked to Grigson and Pagano and told them that it needs to be better.

I think everyone was kind of let down from yesterday's game. I for one expected alot more based on the hype the team had been getting

same

and I'll continue to expect more

I get that these guys are just getting started but, yeah......... lots of off season moves..... I'm looking for something to be better

During the Peyton years we did not panic with a poor start to the preseason. The Colts were one of the last teams to report to training camp so we have had a few less practices than most other teams. We also had a lot of players out with injuries. Lastly we played a lot of young players to find out how they would perform. I say don't panic until we are a few games into the regular season.

Seems out of character for Jim when remembering past pre seasons.

I wonder if it was the kick return more than anything?

I don't recall getting beat by that much of a margin in past preseason games.  Yes, we usually lost because we were just looking at players, not trying to play to win.

And yes, I think he has a right to be upset with the ST performance.

Seems to read like he's posting as a fan not a owner in that one, cynics might disagree but it echoes a lot of what some of us will have thought at points watching that.... Yeah it's ok the result meant nothing, bit consisting some of the 2/3s were playing for a place on the roster they were solely lacking.

I don't recall getting beat by that much of a margin in past preseason games.  Yes, we usually lost because we were just looking at players, not trying to play to win.

A lot of guys that played ST in that game will probably not make this team. We needed to know if they could play.

He said he gave the "commanders" an earful. Probably means he went and talked to Grigson and Pagano and told them that it needs to be better.

IDK, I think considering it made the front page of ESPN.com and he took it to his twitter...I can actually see where amfootball is coming from....and it felt very dirty typing that.  

I really hope Irsay doesn't turn into another Jerry Jones

Two years ago, we lost to the Rams 33-10 in the first preseason game.

I get why Irsay would be ticked. He's said several times in the last few weeks that he stressed the importance of improving special teams and defense, and then we looked bad on special teams and defense. I understand that he would call Grigson and Pagano and reinforce his expectations, and maybe be in a bit of a surly mood while he does it.

Still, I don't think there's anything to worry about, nor do I think Irsay is worried.

IDK, I think considering it made the front page of ESPN.com and he took it to his twitter...I can actually see where amfootball is coming from....and it felt very dirty typing that.  

That it made the front page of ESPN doesn't mean anything. ESPN has been hammering Rex Ryan for saying he didn't see the Sanchez interception the other day. Just because it's there doesn't mean that it's a big deal, nor does it mean that they aren't editorializing their headline.

Irsay tweeting about it is another thing. I'm sure he was irritated, like I said above. But he didn't say anything about "flying off the handle." That suggests that one loses their temper and reacts in an uncontrolled manner. 'Giving his commanders an earful' isn't within a quarter mile of that.

I think it's good to have this happen, coaches and Grigson will now know he's not going to take losing.  He doesn't want to end up like the Cowboys.

I agree. After years of being mute in the Polian years I guess he want's a little more voice in things. ( but not to the point of Jerry Jones!!) 

In the first preseason game when the starters played two series? That is flying off the handle IMO. Pagano barely even coached last year to boot. Why make it public on Twitter? I mean say it behind closed doors if you have to but that is what made it the cover on ESPN which he knew it would when he tweeted it.

Two years ago, we lost to the Rams 33-10 in the first preseason game.

I get why Irsay would be ticked. He's said several times in the last few weeks that he stressed the importance of improving special teams and defense, and then we looked bad on special teams and defense. I understand that he would call Grigson and Pagano and reinforce his expectations, and maybe be in a bit of a surly mood while he does it.

Still, I don't think there's anything to worry about, nor do I think Irsay is worried.

You cannot speak for Irsay or interpret what he says...he is quite capable of expressing himself, and we take HIS words at face value.

I guess I'll repeat myself, but I think it's fair to remember that under the new CBA teams have very little contact in practice/camp, the team didn't look prepared for it. We watched our 3's get out everything'd (Madden!). Special teams was a mess, and those guys are roster bubble candidates, they can't let that happen. It was a bit of a Red Flag.

Off the front page of ESPN.com....   and apparently, Irsay's twitter feed.....

It appears the Colt's coaching staff heard from Irsay after the game.....

Not a long story,  but it gets straight to the point....

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp13/story/_/id/9561032/jim-irsay-gives-indianapolis-colts-brass-earful-defeat

I agree with him. The performance of some was unacceptable.  This is not pee wee league.   He spent a lot of money and wanted to see a better effort. I don't blame him.

That it made the front page of ESPN doesn't mean anything. ESPN has been hammering Rex Ryan for saying he didn't see the Sanchez interception the other day. Just because it's there doesn't mean that it's a big deal, nor does it mean that they aren't editorializing their headline.

Irsay tweeting about it is another thing. I'm sure he was irritated, like I said above. But he didn't say anything about "flying off the handle." That suggests that one loses their temper and reacts in an uncontrolled manner. 'Giving his commanders an earful' isn't within a quarter mile of that.

Actually I disagree...it means that Irsay opened his mouth in front of people that would take it to the cover of ESPN.  Had he followed his own oft-repeated yet not always followed philosophy of keeping things like this in-house, then the media would have never even gotten wind of it, and imo that's the way it should have been.

I don't blame Jimmy Irsay for his actions. We flat out played horrible once Luck & Hasselbeck sat out. Chandler Harnish was just pathetic & that made the WR core that was out there with him look bad. It's hard to make the team as a WR if your QB can't get you the ball.

I don't know if most (not all) of the backups had an off day or what, but that was not a good showing at all. We let 2 average QB's in EJ Manuel & Tule or whatever his name is torch us like there wasn't even a defense present on the field.

Yeah it's only pre-season & we did have a shorter training camp but mind you the Bills started exactly when we did I do believe so that's no excuse as to why our backups just got embarrassed the way they did yesterday. I wouldn't be surprised if a few moves were made this week

But at the end of the day, it is what it is & our starting defense played great after allowing the 2 big runs by Spiller

1st team offense also looked improved aside from the Fumble & Sack Miscue

I agree with him. The performance of some was unacceptable.  This is not pee wee league.   He spent a lot of money and wanted to see a better effort. I don't blame him.

I agree, the performances of guys like Lanear Sampson, Dax Swanson, Sheldon Price, Marshay Green etc were pretty terrible...fortunately those guys won't be making the team in all likelihood.  

I don't blame Jimmy Irsay for his actions. We flat out played horrible once Luck & Hasselbeck sat out. Chandler Harnish was just pathetic & that made the WR core that was out there with him look bad. It's hard to make the team as a WR if your QB can't get you the ball.

I don't know if most (not all) of the backups had an off day or what, but that was not a good showing at all. We let 2 average QB's in EJ Manuel & Tule or whatever his name is torch us like there wasn't even a defense present on the field.

Yeah it's only pre-season & we did have a shorter training camp but mind you the Bills started exactly when we did I do believe so that's no excuse as to why our backups just got embarrassed the way they did yesterday. I wouldn't be surprised if a few moves were made this week

But at the end of the day, it is what it is & our starting defense played great after allowing the 2 big runs by Spiller

1st team offense also looked improved aside from the Fumble & Sack Miscue

That's the thing...it wasn't our backups that got embarrassed.  The guys who got embarrassed are the guys who will be fighting for a spot on the PS.  

That's the thing...it wasn't our backups that got embarrassed.  The guys who got embarrassed are the guys who will be fighting for a spot on the PS.  

Back-ups as well. It's like people don't even want to be on the Colts. If you don't wanna be here, then move on. Yes we had injuries that made the rotation kinda off-balance but that imo should be a window opener for someone like Sheldon Price, or that Lousei guy (#59) who played completely AWFUL to step up & become known by the coaches

Seems out of character for Jim when remembering past pre seasons.

I wonder if it was the kick return more than anything?

107 yard touchdown by a Rookie (Even though I knew he could burn us if he wanted to as I watched Goodwin at Texas) but anyway, wouldn't that get your blood boiling?

I think it was more so the fact that so much emphasis was put on the run offense, run defense, & special teams that made Irsay explode

I know that pre-season doesn't mean much, but I think as an owner Mr. Irsay did have his team on display in front of a large audience.  He spent millions of dollars this past year and he probably felt a little embarassed with their performance.  You have to admit, the second half was hard to watch.  I know it was our third string and all, but they looked way out matched and very overwelmed.  I hoped for a couple flashes of some great plays.  The only plays that got my attention were ones made by the Bills.

I'm not worried about the actual season.  I am a little worried about the quality of depth on our roster.

Back-ups as well. It's like people don't even want to be on the Colts. If you don't wanna be here, then move on. Yes we had injuries that made the rotation kinda off-balance but that imo should be a window opener for someone like Sheldon Price, or that Lousei guy (#59) who played completely AWFUL to step up & become known by the coaches

Well I simply disagree with the bolded.  When referring to backups I think specifically of the first team of backups, ie the 2nd string and I liked the way they played for the most part as well, again especially considering this was the first preseason game.  

Consider this....the only offensive TD that the Bills FIRST TEAM was able to score was when we had guys like Vaughn, Gordy and Allen Chapman guarding their starting WR's.  We had guys like Heard, Guy, Hughes, Rayford, and Sidbury going up against their starting OL.  Of that group, Sidbury played well consistently imo, but the other guys were very inconsistent and frankly that's to be expected considering the lack of experience.  However, it was took their starters playing against a couple of our 2nds but mostly 3rds in order to score a TD.  I have no problem with that.  

And I don't think it was so much injuries that forced extra playing time for the young guys as it was that the coaching staff wanted to see what they had.  Yes it was a window opener and none of them really stepped up. Ok, what's the big deal?  So the guys that we currently have on the roster that might be lucky enough to make our PS probably won't make it unless they step it up big time.  So we look at guys who are going to get released in the coming cuts to find better guys to put on our PS. 

I know that pre-season doesn't mean much, but I think as an owner Mr. Irsay did have his team on display in front of a large audience.  He spent millions of dollars this past year and he probably felt a little embarassed with their performance.  You have to admit, the second half was hard to watch.  I know it was our third string and all, but they looked way out matched and very overwelmed.  I hoped for a couple flashes of some great plays.  The only plays that got my attention were ones made by the Bills.

I'm not worried about the actual season.  I am a little worried about the quality of depth on our roster.

Everyone we spent "big" money on played well.

The oline was fine aside from 2 plays (Sack & quick pressure on Luck one play)

Greg Toler did fine in pass coverage, could improve in run defense though.

Landry didn't play so we don't know about him

RJF was pretty good

Erik Walden made a few plays & show great pursuit to the ball especially on the busted screen Buffalo had. The 1st one, not the 2nd one they gave to Jackson for a gain