Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Games that could make or break our season.....

NewColtsFan

Since a week from now,  we'll be dealing with training camp,  I thought now might be a good time to talk about games that could be the difference between the Colts making the playoffs in 2013 and sitting home for the winter wondering what happened....

There's going to be plenty here for everyone to disagree with....   I'm throwing out some thoughts simply for discussion....

The games that concern me most aren't the marquee games like San Fran, Seattle,  Denver,  Houston (in Texas)  and Cincinnati....  personally, I've got those games down as "L"...   

Don't get me wrong,   I'm not saying we will lose, or that we can't win those games,  but for right now, I've got them down as losses.

The games that concern me most are the 50/50 games.   And these are the games I see that could go either way....

-- Miami (think the'll be much improved)

-- St. Louis  (lots of young, fast talent on that roster.  They were 4-1-1 vs. NFC West last year)

-- Arizona  (think Arians will do a very good job;  there's more talent on that roster than some think)

-- Kansas City  (Improved coaching and roster; home game for KC late in season)

These are the games I think will make the difference for the Colts.   I think we'll wind up being upset in one of these four games.   My guess would be KC,  but it could be another....

Put another way,  last year Indy went from 2-14 to 11-5,  this year one of the 4 teams I've listed might improve enough that they're the surprise team of the NFL (not necessarily make the playoffs, but much improved)  and they could pull off the upset of the Colts.

As I said at the top....  they'll be plenty for people here to disagree with....  I look forward to your comments....

Hey, did I mention training camp is almost here?!     :thmup:     :thmup:

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dolphins are def dangerous and the rams chiefs and cards but i'll have a better idea of how we will fare after game 3 of the reg season. I figure if we start of 3 and 0 we have to have a quality team.49ers runner up in super bowl and a vastly improved dolphins team. I think we take seattle at home lose to Denver during reg season but get them back in playoffs.

Right now it looks like every team on our schedule has improved. With the exception of Jax and Oakland, IMO every other team has improved enough that the games could go either way. Truly, Any Given Sunday (or Thursday).

We have to remember how we barely beat teams for most of our wins last season. We could have easily had the Browns record. They played most games close but came out on the losing side more than not.

I think we've improved at just about every position. But I don't think that makes us favorites in a lot of games. I know one thing, I'm going to enjoy this season no matter what our record is at the end.

Raiders....This should be a win, no biggie. 1-0

Dolphins....Gave us all we could handle last year, won by 3. They have improved. As have we....Flip a coin. Colts win. 2-0...Could very well be 1-1

49ers...This is a loss....2-1

Jaguars....As bad as they are, they always play us well. Say what you want but we are 2-4 VS them the last 3 seasons....Flip a coin. Colts win. 3-1

Seahawks....This is a loss....3-2

Chargers...Here I believe is our first KEY game. They had an 'awful' yr last yr, and still finished 7-9. They will be better. This is our teams first prime time game (MNF), and its away. I think this one goes to SD....3-3

Broncos....Another KEY game. Another Primtimer. I think this team will want to beat Peyton more than he wants to beat us...I think we can win, I doubt we do....3-4

8 BYE

Texans...Both Texans games will be KEY games. I am assuming a split, as I usually do with out division. Flip a coin. Colts Win. 4-4

Rams....Sneaky good team, not a 'key' game, but we will need this win. Hard to call a Jeff Fisher coached team vs the Colts. Flip a coin, but I'll give it to us....5-4

Titans...Again, an improved team. Division rival. 5-1 in last 3 seasons. Prob should have lost to them last year. Dwyane Allen 'nonfumble' saved the day....Ill give it to us. 6-4

Cardinals...Which Cardinals team shows up? They know us better than we know them. Arians. Flip a coin. Loss. 6-5

Titans....Give this one to them 6-6

Bengals.....KEY game. Good team, in hard division. Both vying to playoff seeding. They are a sneaky good team. Flip a coin. Give it to us 7-6...

Texans....Give it to them....7-7

Chiefs...Gave us all we could handle. I want no part of this team. Flip a coin. Colts loss 7-8

Jaguars....We can win. Will we? Give it to us. 8-8.

So I guess I see our "KEY" games being SD, Den, Texansx2, and Cincy....But every division game is one we will need to win. I only see 1 solid win, and thats against Oak.

We have waayyyy to many tough games this year to be optimistic enough to finish around the 11win range.

I think you hit the nail on the head NCF. Miami, St. Louis, and KC could be trap games. All three are improved and could indeed make some noise this year. Those are at least three key games right there.I'm not entirely convinced about the Cardinals but who knows, maybe Palmer can at least make a feasible attempt at resurrecting that franchise.

I think you hit the nail on the head NCF. Miami, St. Louis, and KC could be trap games. All three are improved and could indeed make some noise this year. Those are at least three key games right there.I'm not entirely convinced about the Cardinals but who knows, maybe Palmer can at least make a feasible attempt at resurrecting that franchise.

What may happen with the Cards is that Arians treats Palmer the same as he did Ben and Andrew - big risk, big reward. But I don't think Carson is anywhere near as durable as the others. We may be seeing Stanton when we play them.

What may happen with the Cards is that Arians treats Palmer the same as he did Ben and Andrew - big risk, big reward. But I don't think Carson is anywhere near as durable as the others. We may be seeing Stanton when we play them.

Yep, though he did manage to play 15 games last year. You guys don't see them till week 12, so you may be right. He could be busted up by then unless that o-line steps it up.

Raiders....This should be a win, no biggie. 1-0

Dolphins....Gave us all we could handle last year, won by 3. They have improved. As have we....Flip a coin. Colts win. 2-0...Could very well be 1-1

49ers...This is a loss....2-1

Jaguars....As bad as they are, they always play us well. Say what you want but we are 2-4 VS them the last 3 seasons....Flip a coin. Colts win. 3-1

Seahawks....This is a loss....3-2

Chargers...Here I believe is our first KEY game. They had an 'awful' yr last yr, and still finished 7-9. They will be better. This is our teams first prime time game (MNF), and its away. I think this one goes to SD....3-3

Broncos....Another KEY game. Another Primtimer. I think this team will want to beat Peyton more than he wants to beat us...I think we can win, I doubt we do....3-4

8 BYE

Texans...Both Texans games will be KEY games. I am assuming a split, as I usually do with out division. Flip a coin. Colts Win. 4-4

Rams....Sneaky good team, not a 'key' game, but we will need this win. Hard to call a Jeff Fisher coached team vs the Colts. Flip a coin, but I'll give it to us....5-4

Titans...Again, an improved team. Division rival. 5-1 in last 3 seasons. Prob should have lost to them last year. Dwyane Allen 'nonfumble' saved the day....Ill give it to us. 6-4

Cardinals...Which Cardinals team shows up? They know us better than we know them. Arians. Flip a coin. Loss. 6-5

Titans....Give this one to them 6-6

Bengals.....KEY game. Good team, in hard division. Both vying to playoff seeding. They are a sneaky good team. Flip a coin. Give it to us 7-6...

Texans....Give it to them....7-7

Chiefs...Gave us all we could handle. I want no part of this team. Flip a coin. Colts loss 7-8

Jaguars....We can win. Will we? Give it to us. 8-8.

So I guess I see our "KEY" games being SD, Den, Texansx2, and Cincy....But every division game is one we will need to win. I only see 1 solid win, and thats against Oak.

We have waayyyy to many tough games this year to be optimistic enough to finish around the 11win range.

A lot of these games are up in the air I think you have given the other teams the advantage where the colts may well be the advantage, other than Seattle, Denver, 49ers, and maybe just maybe Cinci depending which Dalton shows up , we are on par with every team we play this year, we could be 8-8 we could be 5-11 and we could be 12-4, cant wait go colts!

key games I would sat are all of them, but to get more specific, both Houston games (if we want the division) especially the first one mid season coming off the bye. Miami week 2, we need this win for momentum going into matchups with san fran, seattle and Denver, and two away games late in the season KC and cinci might have bigtime playoff implications

Since a week from now,  we'll be dealing with training camp,  I thought now might be a good time to talk about games that could be the difference between the Colts making the playoffs in 2013 and sitting home for the winter wondering what happened....

There's going to be plenty here for everyone to disagree with....   I'm throwing out some thoughts simply for discussion....

The games that concern me most aren't the marquee games like San Fran, Seattle,  Denver,  Houston (in Texas)  and Cincinnati....  personally, I've got those games down as "L"...   

Don't get me wrong,   I'm not saying we will lose, or that we can't win those games,  but for right now, I've got them down as losses.

The games that concern me most are the 50/50 games.   And these are the games I see that could go either way....

-- Miami (think the'll be much improved)

-- St. Louis  (lots of young, fast talent on that roster.  They were 4-1-1 vs. NFC West last year)

-- Arizona  (think Arians will do a very good job;  there's more talent on that roster than some think)

-- Kansas City  (Improved coaching and roster; home game for KC late in season)

These are the games I think will make the difference for the Colts.   I think we'll wind up being upset in one of these four games.   My guess would be KC,  but it could be another....

Put another way,  last year Indy went from 2-14 to 11-5,  this year one of the 4 teams I've listed might improve enough that they're the surprise team of the NFL (not necessarily make the playoffs, but much improved)  and they could pull off the upset of the Colts.

As I said at the top....  they'll be plenty for people here to disagree with....  I look forward to your comments....

Hey, did I mention training camp is almost here?!     :thmup:     :thmup:

A very well articulated blog entry there NCF! Of the cautionary games you mentioned, St. Louis & KC are intriguing sleeper games to watch. Will Andy Reid actually run the ball? He loves his bubble screens man a mainstay ploy in Philadelphia.

Jeff Fisher will protect QB Sam Bradford & WR Tavon Austin has got quickness & good hands. Plus, Jake Long should keep Sam upright as well. In addition, I love watching Chris Long, Howie Long's kid in action as a DE. 

Realistically we probably do..

Yup.....

Not sure many know this because all of the attention was on Peyton,  but last year's Denver defense was top-5 overall in the NFL.

It was very, very good.     It's just hard to remember that because the last play anyone thinks of for the Denver defense was one of the great bone-head plays of the year (Heck, any year!)    Jacoby Jones simply can't get behind you.    And he did.

My point is much more than just Peyton....    that's a very good team...

Peyton is bringing his insanely talented Broncos and will most likely destroy the Colts in the house that he built, being a fan that watched the Manning era every game, every year, and before that, I wont be mad, NO Manning No Colts the team probably would have moved. If Luck does manage to pull it off against a superior team and a legend, I wont argue and then we all definetly know we have a special kid (which I think we all know already), I just think the odds are strongly against us

Peyton is bringing his insanely talented Broncos and will most likely destroy the Colts in the house that he built, being a fan that watched the Manning era every game, every year, and before that, I wont be mad, NO Manning No Colts the team probably would have moved. If Luck does manage to pull it off against a superior team and a legend, I wont argue and then we all definetly know we have a special kid (which I think we all know already), I just think the odds are strongly against us

Broncos are good, but lets not act like they're are the 70's Steelers.

NO Manning No Colts the team probably would have moved.

I can't stand this argument, and everybody that says it is just blowing smoke.  It's just another way for people to pump up #18 to higher heights.  He can already walk on water around these parts, he doesn't need any help lofting him any higher.  

the broncos are all hype. yea I said it. they were 2-3 before winning 11 games and go back and see who were those 11 wins. besides an injury riddled raven team, they were nobodies.

I can't stand this argument, and everybody that says it is just blowing smoke.  It's just another way for people to pump up #18 to higher heights.  He can already walk on water around these parts, he doesn't need any help lofting him any higher.  

actually if you really want I can try to find the sources and video that show in 1997 irsay saying the colts might move, after the devastading loss to the steelers with 4  bottom feeder seasons before and after until manning was drafted

the broncos are all hype. yea I said it. they were 2-3 before winning 11 games and go back and see who were those 11 wins. besides an injury riddled raven team, they were nobodies.

They were expected to struggle early. Bengals weren't bad. Plus they played the Ravens better than anyone else in the postseason.

actually if you really want I can try to find the sources and video that show in 1997 irsay saying the colts might move, after the devastading loss to the steelers with 4  bottom feeder seasons before and after until manning was drafted

Go ahead. He could be wrong, but Mike Chappell claims Irsay never said it.

As BLOODontheTRACKS said, go ahead.  I would be very interested in seeing proof from a legitimate source.

They were expected to struggle early. Bengals weren't bad. Plus they played the Ravens better than anyone else in the postseason.

14 points were scored by STs and the bengals played terrible in that game.

14 points were scored by STs and the bengals played terrible in that game.

The Bengals played terrible because the Broncos were in a totally different class than them.

And btw, TIL the special teams isn't a part of the actual team.

haha No, they aren't. Top 5 defense with maybe the best defender in the league (I'd say #2) and an offense with maybe the greatest player and QB to ever play the game.

I think you're a little bit sour over Peyton leaving.

haha No, they aren't. Top 5 defense with maybe the best defender in the league (I'd say #2) and an offense with maybe the greatest player and QB to ever play the game.

I think you're a little bit sour over Peyton leaving.

I was for peyton leaving. and your so call greatest player is still a choke artiest. top 5 d against mediocre teams like the chiefs chargers and raiders

Win week 1 at home and take it from there. Not even Oakland is going to show up week 1 and roll over either no matter what their previous seasons have told us. Everyone has something to prove and wins are never easy to come by either.

BTW we will probably upset someone many have us losing to and probably end up losing to a team people have us beating.

I for one disagree strongly with all that Bull**** because you don't know the colts could come out and just start beating the ******** out of people so until the season is really here im not going to say anything but I think the colts have more talent on their roster than people think. Also I think people saying that the colts are going to miss the playoffs again is bull****.

I for one disagree strongly with all that Bull**** because you don't know the colts could come out and just start beating the ******** out of people so until the season is really here im not going to say anything but I think the colts have more talent on their roster than people think. Also I think people saying that the colts are going to miss the playoffs again is bull****.

Well....

Since you didn't click "quote" on anyone's post,  I'm guessing you're responding to me....

I have no idea what you find that's bull**** and I have no idea what anyone could've written to get you all steamed up,  as I said in my original post....    I'm only interested in talking football...    and since training camp starts in a week,  I thought Colts' fans here might enjoy talking some colts football...

That's all...    

I'm not asking you or anyone else to agree with me....    I offered some thoughts and opinions and asked for yours...

Don't read anymore into it than that....

We're all here to have some fun....   

Well....

Since you didn't click "quote" on anyone's post,  I'm guessing you're responding to me....

I have no idea what you find that's bull**** and I have no idea what anyone could've written to get you all steamed up,  as I said in my original post....    I'm only interested in talking football...    and since training camp starts in a week,  I thought Colts' fans here might enjoy talking some colts football...

That's all...    

I'm not asking you or anyone else to agree with me....    I offered some thoughts and opinions and asked for yours...

Don't read anymore into it than that....

We're all here to have some fun....

Bull****