Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Joe Lefeged Arrested...

icf

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to disagree with you. I carry to protect me and my family from thugs like him plus its my american right to bare arms.

Never said anything to the contrary. I commented because the original post said multiple gun violation, which I incorrectly assumed was Joe carrying more than one piece, and I pointed out gunsssss. My bad, but nothing in my post was to indicate a negative towards the right to bear arms.

Besides, I can't  help it if you shave your arms. (Sorry...just having fun)

That's misleading.....Far more NFL players get arrested than any other sport...even the percentage is higher

\

..and there is a surge in football=player arrests.

Roger Goddell isnt going to let this slide...

The other shoe is about to drop...

the national arrest rate is over 4%. Nfl players are arrested at a lower rate than the national average. There is no debate about it

the national arrest rate is over 4%. Nfl players are arrested at a lower rate than the national average. There is no debate about it

I'm not sure what argument you're trying to make.

A story I heard this week said that when Goodell took over as commissioner he was privately telling people that he thought the number one issue he faced was.....  player conduct.    He was incredibly worried about what it would do to the NFL.

Doesn't matter that NFL players are arrested at a lower rate than the general population.   Each time an NFL player is arrested,  it's headline making news.     It's not that way if you or I or any other regular Colt's fan gets arrested.    Then, only our family and friends care.

World of difference......

Police say they recovered the car nearby and arrested Lefeged as he tried to run away. Officers found a .40-caliber semi-automatic handgun "in plain view sticking out from underneath the front passenger seat," according to charging documents.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9436643/joe-lefeged-indianapolis-colts-arrested-gun-charges

Now this "running away" thing is really killing me. This is something that the police themselves according to the report state as a factual occurence. That's not going to work out well for him. There are alibis for speeding because he was not the one driving. But when the police state as a fact that they caught you trying to escape from them on foot. What can you make up about that? It also seems he's kind of stuck about the gun issue because a receipt was found showing he at the very least bought the gun. I've never owned a gun in my life so I don't know how long the registration process takes. I don't know if he was waiting on registration, but it seems extremely doubtful. Looks to me that he was just stupid for having it with him.

Then you factor in the weed and the alcohol. It doesn't appear to me that this will turn out well for Joe. I'm still going to wait and see, but unfortunately I see some convincing evidence in this.

Pedantic police here, but I don't think he cited vs the national average but vs other (American only?) sports. Though I'd be interested on the comparative stats.

Regardless of the outcome, where he had the gun or not, the Colts need to send a message and put their foot down and not wait for the league. At a bare minimum, a suspension, big fine(if they are allowed to under the CBA) on both Brazil and Lefledge. I'm not a fan of zero tolerance, at all, but this is not the conduct of a Colt and that needs to be made very clear. I'm curious to see what the Colts do and if they are as brash to react as the Pats did, grant the charges for Joe are no where near a murder charge. For the first time, I blame Grigs and Pagano for not instilling the responsibility and discipline this team needs.

OMG he is a witch BURN HIM!! haha you all realize that is how you sound, I dont live in America thank god but from recent statistcal surveys i have studyd im sad to inform you all that 65 to 75 percent of Americans own guns... back on the topic though Joe was an awsome ST player and he will most likely be cut sad to see him go, Good luck Joe!

Lefeged is the team's best gunner. And we're a team that hasn't had a good gunner for about a decade. So it does kind of suck, assuming he gets cut. 

It doesn't cripple the team. I'm sure we have other candidates on the roster, and Sergio Brown was pretty good on special teams last year also. Neither of them figured to play significant snaps at safety, as we now have Landry and Bethea. But losing your best gunner stings a little.

Valid points.

It also seems he's kind of stuck about the gun issue because a receipt was found showing he at the very least bought the gun. I've never owned a gun in my life so I don't know how long the registration process takes. I don't know if he was waiting on registration, but it seems extremely doubtful. Looks to me that he was just stupid for having it with him.

There is no registration process. At least not in Indiana. Assuming he's not a resident of D.C, there is no legal requirement for him to have registered it when he bought it.

However, D.C does require registration and they have strict laws and it falls on him to ensure he complies with those laws while in DC territory or any state for that matter.

this is what will get Joe in the biggest trouble, again assuming he's the owner of the weapon.

OMG he is a witch BURN HIM!! haha you all realize that is how you sound, I dont live in America thank god but from recent statistcal surveys i have studyd im sad to inform you all that 65 to 75 percent of Americans own guns... back on the topic though Joe was an awsome ST player and he will most likely be cut sad to see him go, Good luck Joe!

Most of the estimates that I have seen range from 31% to 36%.

Most of the estimates that I have seen range from 31% to 36%.

Don't always believe what you hear on main stream media or the internet. It's dang near impossible to estimate the exact percentage as there is no registry and can never be a national registry by law.

Don't always believe what you hear on main stream media or the internet. It's dang near impossible to estimate the exact percentage as there is no registry and can never be a national registry by law.

I agree that it is hard to accurately measure the percentages.  However, most of the percentage estimates, i.e. Univ. of Chicago is 32%, are in the low to mid 30's.

That's avoiding the issue. 

There are more NFL players arrested for alcohal, drugs, guns, violence on percentage that the regular public.

There are far more NFL players arrested on percentage than any other sport.

How many have been arrested since the 1st of the year?...

The NFL has a problem and I'm pretty sure Roger Goddell isnt going to just say that the public gets busted more 

Regardless of the outcome, where he had the gun or not, the Colts need to send a message and put their foot down and not wait for the league. At a bare minimum, a suspension, big fine(if they are allowed to under the CBA) on both Brazil and Lefledge. I'm not a fan of zero tolerance, at all, but this is not the conduct of a Colt and that needs to be made very clear. I'm curious to see what the Colts do and if they are as brash to react as the Pats did, grant the charges for Joe are no where near a murder charge. For the first time, I blame Grigs and Pagano for not instilling the responsibility and discipline this team needs.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. Sometime stupid is just unstoppable. Professionals, millionaires, etc.......they are still kids. They think they are invincible. I am just far enough away from that age that I can't really blame some of these kids for the errors they make. However, this has to be one of the stupidest things a player could have done at this point (short of murder). With the Hernandez situation, why would you be walking around without a carry license.......or walking around with a weapon at all in a city that does not allow for conceal carry? That is just plain stupid....and then to run? C'mon.....just cooperate with police and plead ignorance. You may still get in trouble, but running makes it a lot worse. It is beyond me that some of these players can't stay out of their own way. Given the Hernandez situation, I almost feel that the Colts have no choice, but to cut him.

Back to your statement. It is the offseason and Lefeged was away from Indy and the team. At some point people have to be accountable for their own actions. l got a DUI when I was 26.....0.09. Do I blame my parents, girlfriend, or boss for not instilling discipline? I have never been in any kind of trouble other than that in my life. I was waiting for my girlfriend (now wife) to get off work. She was a bartender. I had two mixed drinks while waiting for her. Had less than 1.5 miles to drive. Officer watched me leave the parking lot and pulled me over because my plate illuminating light was not bright enough. Stuff happens..........no ones fault, but my own.

There is no registration process. At least not in Indiana. Assuming he's not a resident of D.C, there is no legal requirement for him to have registered it when he bought it.

However, D.C does require registration and they have strict laws and it falls on him to ensure he complies with those laws while in DC territory or any state for that matter.

this is what will get Joe in the biggest trouble, again assuming he's the owner of the weapon.

Very true;

Now, he can claim that he always carries the gun for protection and he forgot it was in the car.

He can claim that while alcohal was in the car, he wasnt driving...so he hwanst drinking and driving.

He can claim that the driver tried to outrun the cops BECAUSE he/Joe was in the

car and they didnt want their NFL pal to get busted.  It wasnt evil..it wa sloyalty

He can claim the driver ran because he got scared after he tried to outdrive the police..and it wasnt him/Joe doing it

...and that he apologizes for the whole incident

The big issue still stands...

One week after the Hernendez murder.....and a month before

the NFL season..

..what is a salaried NFL player doing after midnight cruising with his beer and his buddies..

That's the behavior of an unemployed broke 16-year-old

It looks like there have been 35 NFL players arrested in 2013. The details are here: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1686301-every-nfl-player-arrested-in-2013

If 32 teams have 90 players on the roster, that equals 2880 players. Add a few free agents and you get close to 3000. That is about 1.2 percent of the players were arrested this year.

the NFL playing roster limit is 53....

And doesn't mean squat when he crosses a line on a map into VA where we can walk around openly carrying weapons. All this gun stuff is nonsense. Now, running from the cops (probably neccesitated by the laughable gun "laws" in DC) that to me is the serious issue. But even then probably a 1st offense pled out to community service.

If all that gun stuff is nonsense why don't you tell all those parents that lost their children in that school shooting. May be nonsense to you but I'm sure it's not to them and many others that don't agree with your opinion.

I live near DC and travel that area quite a bit.  Gun carrying folks are always risking arrest when traveling thru DC and Maryland due to their unconstitutional laws. 

I carry and know that if i am caught I will be in deep % but the constitution is the law I live by.  I may have even become paniced enough to run from the police.

I bet its all a bunch of nonsense unconstitutional charges.  Unregistered gun, ammo?    There is no reason to register a gun or ammo. 

I bet the guy who ran was carrying and knew how Police would do him if caught. 

They should of stopped when lit up and refused to give up any weapons. 

Good Luck guys...........get a good lawyer or they will throw the book at you.

Thanks TK your post almost always make me laugh. :thmup: They should have had Apple Juice in the car and that would have been one less charge. :monkeydance:

Well glad to know I bring happiness to you. And I keep telling people, you can't go wrong with the Apple Juice. People think I'm crazy, but the apple juice knows. Just can't go wrong with it :D

OK......gun charges in DC....Dumb enough to do it....we will see just HOW dumb in the coming days.  Smarty Jones was probably close to the White House too?  URRGH!

Good point Nick!  Contrary to some here, he was NOT on the bubble.  He was the second string safety.  Boyett is hurt....may not play.  Lefeged was THE stud on Special Teams.  Now we get to camp and lose a Mario Harvey and/or Ricardo Mathews, we will need to develop some studs on ST!!

Just after I finally was spelling his name right after all of these times :) WOW.....

:hello:  :hmm: Of all the places to be with a gun,that was a brain dead move

Truly a shame.  Will be only hours until he is let go from the Colts only to have the Patriots nab him.  Perhaps the Patriots and the Colts need to have 24/7 private eyes on them at all times.

Instead of playing a 'Tampa 2'

......they can play a Leavenworth 5-to-10

the NFL playing roster limit is 53....

It is 90 at this moment in time. Take a deep breath...it's about a lack of mentoring to me, which is a universal problem in 'Merica. Guns are guns. People are people. Those who are in control/"intelligent" need to teach how to reconcile this with those who don't learn it growing up or are suddenly rich beyond what they have ever known.

Not that I think averaging an arrest once every five days since the Super Bowl is a good things but I heard Mort bring up a good point today.  He pointed out when you factor in the 90 man rosters right now that it's been about 1% of the league that has been arrested.  Not that I think that's a good thing but that numbers sounds a lot better than one arrest every five days if you are looking at this from the NFL's point of view.