Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Joe Lefeged Arrested...

icf

Why is he still on the Colts roster if he did do those things he is accused of?

I hope our front office is gathering as many facts as it can before deciding to releasing him.

Because he is a good gunner

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's released from jail which means he'll have a hearing sometime within this week or next week.

Then after that hearing in court, he'll have a hearing with the Court of the Indianapolis :colts: where Judge Grigson & Baliff Irsay will give him a verdict

:D

He's released from jail which means he'll have a hearing sometime within this week or next week.

Then after that hearing in court, he'll have a hearing with the Court of the Indianapolis :colts: where Judge Grigson & Baliff Irsay will give him a verdict

:D

I'm pretty sure you have the titles of irsay and Grigson backwards. Irsay is the judge and jury

What is evidence of drug use :funny: our politicaly correct Nations capital,he either did or didn't on drug use,and guarantee they checked so lets not have Gray areas here,Joe wasn't using his head ,but nevermind ,no worse place he could've got in trouble.The NFL refused to promote or advertise Obama care so he will probably be the example.

NFL athletes and employees make way to much money to be impacted by the Affordable Care Act. The only impact the ACA would have on them is in regards to the NFL offering insurance to its employees, which it has a long standing policy of doing. Thus, the ACA has zero ramifications on the NFL. I guess just another example of how uninformed folks are about the actual impacts and intent of federal policy on health care reform and the real implications it has on the populous. 

Yeah, Plaxico Burress took a gun out in public when he was not supposed to in New York, he was released by the Giants.

It is not about making him a scape goat but setting a tone for this fluid pre-dominantly young team that does not need distractions, IMO.

I do think we kept Dom Rhodes after a DUI, Fili Moala after a DUI though with a one game suspension, but not sure if they are looking for repeat offense to release a player. If that were the case, technically Lavon Brazil was a repeat offender (CBA agreed to 2nd offense being punishable) due to which he was punished by the NFL, just not by the Colts.

We kept Kenton Keith after his incident but released him after pre-season based on his on field performance. I would not be surprised if both Brazil and Lefeged are gone, the question is if it will be before pre-season or after.

I do think (whether anyone else agrees or not) the Colts have to act at least with a suspension of their own for these players, otherwise it makes it seem like their actions are being condoned.

Burress had other issues with the Giants as well. That wasn't a one-off incident; there was an established pattern of inappropriate behavior. This is the first time Lefeged has ever had a run-in with either the legal authorities or anyone on the team. As far as we know, he's been a model citizen.

If the Colts do keep Lefeged, it would make sense for them to impose some kind of punishment. But I'm not sure of the merits of imposing punishment in excess of what the league will. Brazill is out for four games, per league rules. That's enough. If Lefeged pleads out of jail time, I'm sure the NFL will hit him with a suspension. I don't see the benefit in the team doing more than that, if they decide to keep him.

I think they'll keep Brazill, as it seems to me that they knew about his failed test a long time ago. I think that decision was made well before the suspension was announced. JMO.

I expect Lefeged to be released, just on principle. Not because of the state of the team, but because he did something really stupid and has jeopardized his freedom. We have enough veteran leadership on the roster to prevent something like this from becoming a distraction, but I think the team ought to distance itself from people who willing engage in knucklehead-ish behavior. Again, JMO. 

Ed Johnson joined us on a Zero Tolerance agreement, after some indiscretions in college. When he did it again with us, we gave him a second second chance, as we were short on the line at the time. When his performance dipped, we released him. Polian at his best.

Ed Johnson joined us on a Zero Tolerance agreement, after some indiscretions in college. When he did it again with us, we gave him a second second chance, as we were short on the line at the time. When his performance dipped, we released him. Polian at his best.

When Ed Johnson got busted, we released him immediately, despite being thin on the line. Zero tolerance.

When Jim Caldwell took over, we brought Johnson back. Then we released him due to performance.

just saw on rotoworld

Colts S Joe Lefeged says the gun charges against him are "drummed up."

Lefeged was finally released from a Washington, D.C. jail Tuesday after being arrested on Saturday. Lefeged has been charged with carrying a firearm without a license, possessing an unregistered firearm and ammunition and possessing a firearm in a motor vehicle. A 2011 undrafted free agent, Lefeged has appeared in all 16 games each of the past two seasons.

When Ed Johnson got busted, we released him immediately, despite being thin on the line. Zero tolerance.

When Jim Caldwell took over, we brought Johnson back. Then we released him due to performance.

True, but we brought him back, because we were thin on the line....semantics perhaps.

just saw on rotoworld

Colts S Joe Lefeged says the gun charges against him are "drummed up."

Lefeged was finally released from a Washington, D.C. jail Tuesday after being arrested on Saturday. Lefeged has been charged with carrying a firearm without a license, possessing an unregistered firearm and ammunition and possessing a firearm in a motor vehicle. A 2011 undrafted free agent, Lefeged has appeared in all 16 games each of the past two seasons.

I think he lost any crediability when he ran from the scene. Innocent man doesn't run from police.

True, but we brought him back, because we were thin on the line....semantics perhaps.

It was Tony Dungy's zero tolerance policy with Ed Johnson. Caldwell wanted him back.

When he was released the first time, it was after McFarland was gone, Quinn Pitcock had quit, and we hadn't signed Antonio Johnson yet. We were using Eric Foster and Keyunta Dawson at defensive tackle. Getting rid of Ed Johnson was a principled move by Dungy.

I do think (whether anyone else agrees or not) the Colts have to act at least with a suspension of their own for these players, otherwise it makes it seem like their actions are being condoned.

I'm thinking, if we do keep Joe Lefeged, it would make sense to require that he enter the substance abuse program on his own. He'd be subject to increased testing, and on his first violation, he'd be suspended four games. 

I'm thinking, if we do keep Joe Lefeged, it would make sense to require that he enter the substance abuse program on his own. He'd be subject to increased testing, and on his first violation, he'd be suspended four games. 

I'm not sure that teams are allowed to impose punishments on their own.   So, if for example, the NFL doesn't punish Lefeged (not likely, but for discussion sake)  I don't think the Colts are allowed to say to Lefeged that he has to go into a drug program....  I'm not even sure the team can sit him down for a game or two if they want to.

I think the CBA has tight restrictions on what a team can and can't do above and beyond what the league does or doesn't do.

Hope that made sense.....?

I'm not sure that teams are allowed to impose punishments on their own.   So, if for example, the NFL doesn't punish Lefeged (not likely, but for discussion sake)  I don't think the Colts are allowed to say to Lefeged that he has to go into a drug program....  I'm not even sure the team can sit him down for a game or two if they want to.

I think the CBA has tight restrictions on what a team can and can't do above and beyond what the league does or doesn't do.

Perfect sense CBA is binding for sure.If the Colts are worried about it,they just need to part ways.Think time will tell us the answer pretty quickly.

That would be his 3rd violation overall though, And lets be realistic, we can find a player off (Bigby, Sensabaugh, Barrett, Clemons....Heck, Kerry Rhodes.....Although he probably wants to start somewhere and I have not looked to see what kind of cap hit that mean for us......Point is, He is easily replaceable)  the fa pile at this very minute thats seemingly more hungry to make a name for himself in a positive manner then he is, He gets paid millions of bucks to ride the bench the vast majority of the tune when you look at the season as a whole, sure he gets to on the field almost on a every game basis as our gunner but he is depth....which means eventually unless that depth develops then he will be released eventually

Not sure if that would be considered a punishment, first of all.

Second, teams can fine and suspend players on their own, without the league taking it's own action. They call it "conduct detrimental." Albert Haynesworth comes to mind immediately; the Redskins suspended him for five games. Not the league, the team. That was under the old CBA, but I'm relatively certain that nothing has changed in the new agreement.

Third, the Cardinals required Tyrann Mathieu to enter the drug testing program. I'm not sure if that was a negotiated term of his contract. But the Colts could require Lefeged enter the program, or else be released.

That would be his 3rd violation overall though, And lets be realistic, we can find a player off (Bigby, Sensabaugh, Barrett, Clemons....Heck, Kerry Rhodes.....Although he probably wants to start somewhere and I have not looked to see what kind of cap hit that mean for us......Point is, He is easily replaceable)  the fa pile at this very minute thats seemingly more hungry to make a name for himself in a positive manner then he is, He gets paid millions of bucks to ride the bench the vast majority of the tune when you look at the season as a whole, sure he gets to on the field almost on a every game basis as our gunner but he is depth....which means eventually unless that depth develops then he will be released eventually

How would that be his third violation? Lefeged hasn't failed any drug test that any of us is aware of. He could have failed one already, in which case he'd already be in the program, but one failure doesn't trigger a suspension, so we wouldn't know about it.

His value for our team is as a special teams gunner. Those older guys you mentioned aren't looking for a special teams gig. I'm sure we could find someone else, but we already have a good gunner. He's not replaceable at all. Still would suck to have to release him.

The problem is that some people think not releasing him due to this run-in makes the Colts look soft on player conduct. I'm not sure I agree; I'm not even sure that this kind of violation warrants a release. But putting him in the testing program would have an impact on his activities (no more smoking weed, for starters), and it would raise the stakes for him in the event of future violations. Seems like a reasonable middle ground.

That would be his 3rd violation overall though, And lets be realistic, we can find a player off (Bigby, Sensabaugh, Barrett, Clemons....Heck, Kerry Rhodes.....Although he probably wants to start somewhere and I have not looked to see what kind of cap hit that mean for us......Point is, He is easily replaceable) the fa pile at this very minute thats seemingly more hungry to make a name for himself in a positive manner then he is, He gets paid millions of bucks to ride the bench the vast majority of the tune when you look at the season as a whole, sure he gets to on the field almost on a every game basis as our gunner but he is depth....which means eventually unless that depth develops then he will be released eventually

Anyone we bring in is gonna ride the bench cause Bethea & Landry (Barring injury to them) will be the starters on oopening day.

I say we cut Lefeged and use the open spot to keep an extra CB or RB or even a WR. But that's just my opinion

Anyone we bring in is gonna ride the bench cause Bethea & Landry (Barring injury to them) will be the starters on oopening day.

I say we cut Lefeged and use the open spot to keep an extra CB or RB or even a WR. But that's just my opinion

I think we're going to keep four safeties, with or without Lefeged.

I think we're going to keep four safeties, with or without Lefeged.

We should put Dax Swanson there since they claim he's a safety on the colts.com roster. Cause most likely John Boyett will start on IR. But if not then boom, cut Lefeged and say hello to Boyett :D

Not sure if that would be considered a punishment, first of all.

Second, teams can fine and suspend players on their own, without the league taking it's own action. They call it "conduct detrimental." Albert Haynesworth comes to mind immediately; the Redskins suspended him for five games. Not the league, the team. That was under the old CBA, but I'm relatively certain that nothing has changed in the new agreement.

Third, the Cardinals required Tyrann Mathieu to enter the drug testing program. I'm not sure if that was a negotiated term of his contract. But the Colts could require Lefeged enter the program, or else be released.

Don't get me wrong,  I hope you're right, and that my fuzzy view of things is incorrect!

I hope the Colts still have some latitude to do what they feel is in the best interest of the franchise.    Please note almost all of my sentences started with....    "I'm not sure...."    And I'm really not!

I think it's interesting that Lefeged is now released,  and he and Brazill are still with the team.    In other words,  management is either still evaluating what they want to do,   or they've decided that for now at least,  they're not going to do anything until more is known about one, or the other, or both....

How would that be his third violation? Lefeged hasn't failed any drug test that any of us is aware of. He could have failed one already, in which case he'd already be in the program, but one failure doesn't trigger a suspension, so we wouldn't know about it.

His value for our team is as a special teams gunner. Those older guys you mentioned aren't looking for a special teams gig. I'm sure we could find someone else, but we already have a good gunner. He's not replaceable at all. Still would suck to have to release him.

The problem is that some people think not releasing him due to this run-in makes the Colts look soft on player conduct. I'm not sure I agree; I'm not even sure that this kind of violation warrants a release. But putting him in the testing program would have an impact on his activities (no more smoking weed, for starters), and it would raise the stakes for him in the event of future violations. Seems like a reasonable middle ground.

Ah, my bad, I misread I thought I read that he as busted twice before. I dont necessarily think it makes them look soft by not releasing him, the court process has not eve played itself out yet, I wonder if he was even given a breathalizer given the open container of vodka even though he wasn't apparently driving. Im just saying the kid (unless he makes massive strides or barring a severe injury to one or a couple of our other Safeties) is not going to be in our long term plans, that much I think we can all agree on. I just think a message should be sent by Pagano himself because Lefeged has not exactly sounded contrite for putting himself in that situation, Im not tryin to pin the guy as some sort of animal but this makes me wonder whats he got going on up there between his ears and add that to his recent tweets and just think we could find a Safety of his caliber whos more mature

CBA actually permits teams to drug-test players

Posted by Mike Florio on April 29, 2013, 12:47 PM EDT

tyrann-mathieu-p1Getty Images

At first blush, news of the Cardinals’ plans to impose drug testing upon safety Tryann Mathieu raised a red flag as big as any from Mathieu’s troubled time at LSU.

The league, not the teams, impose drug testing. The teams therefore can’t do it themselves, right?

Not so, according to the CBA. As pointed out to PFT by the NFLPA, the league’s substance-abuse policy allows teams to test players.

Here’s the relevant language: “An NFL club and a player may agree that such player will submit to unannounced Testing during the term of said player’s NFL Player Contract provided that the club has a reasonable basis for requesting such agreement. A Positive Test (as hereinafter defined) as a result of such Testing shall be reported to the Medical Director and shall result in the player’s entering Stage One of the Intervention Program. Once a player enters an Intervention Stage the number of Tests that a player will be required to take will be determined by the Medical Director or the Medical Advisor, as set forth herein – not by the terms of the player’s NFL Player Contract. Upon being dismissed from the Intervention Stages, a player’s NFL Player Contract will govern the number of Tests that he is subjected to. All such individually negotiated Testing shall be conducted under the direction of the Medical Advisor and not the club. In cases of individually negotiated Testing, the Medical Advisor and other Interested Parties will continue to be bound by the confidentiality provisions established by this Policy.”

In English, this means that a team can test a player, if the team has a “reasonable basis” to ask the player to submit to testing. The testing continues unless and until he lands in the substance-abuse program. At that point, the league takes over.

As to Mathieu, it’s entirely possible that he’ll enter the NFL as a member of the substance-abuse program, given his history at LSU. If he is, the Cardinals won’t be able to test him until he’s out of the program.

Ultimately, Mathieu has to agree to be tested as one of the terms of this player contract. As he tries to demonstrate that he is willing to choose football over marijuana, chances are that he’ll agree to be tested by the team

CBA actually permits teams to drug-test players

Posted by Mike Florio on April 29, 2013, 12:47 PM EDT

tyrann-mathieu-p1Getty Images

At first blush, news of the Cardinals’ plans to impose drug testing upon safety Tryann Mathieu raised a red flag as big as any from Mathieu’s troubled time at LSU.

The league, not the teams, impose drug testing. The teams therefore can’t do it themselves, right?

Not so, according to the CBA. As pointed out to PFT by the NFLPA, the league’s substance-abuse policy allows teams to test players.

Here’s the relevant language: “An NFL club and a player may agree that such player will submit to unannounced Testing during the term of said player’s NFL Player Contract provided that the club has a reasonable basis for requesting such agreement. A Positive Test (as hereinafter defined) as a result of such Testing shall be reported to the Medical Director and shall result in the player’s entering Stage One of the Intervention Program. Once a player enters an Intervention Stage the number of Tests that a player will be required to take will be determined by the Medical Director or the Medical Advisor, as set forth herein – not by the terms of the player’s NFL Player Contract. Upon being dismissed from the Intervention Stages, a player’s NFL Player Contract will govern the number of Tests that he is subjected to. All such individually negotiated Testing shall be conducted under the direction of the Medical Advisor and not the club. In cases of individually negotiated Testing, the Medical Advisor and other Interested Parties will continue to be bound by the confidentiality provisions established by this Policy.”

In English, this means that a team can test a player, if the team has a “reasonable basis” to ask the player to submit to testing. The testing continues unless and until he lands in the substance-abuse program. At that point, the league takes over.

As to Mathieu, it’s entirely possible that he’ll enter the NFL as a member of the substance-abuse program, given his history at LSU. If he is, the Cardinals won’t be able to test him until he’s out of the program.

Ultimately, Mathieu has to agree to be tested as one of the terms of this player contract. As he tries to demonstrate that he is willing to choose football over marijuana, chances are that he’ll agree to be tested by the team

So I think this answers the question,I was wrong in my thinking on this

Ah, my bad, I misread I thought I read that he as busted twice before. I dont necessarily think it makes them look soft by not releasing him, the court process has not eve played itself out yet, I wonder if he was even given a breathalizer given the open container of vodka even though he wasn't apparently driving. Im just saying the kid (unless he makes massive strides or barring a severe injury to one or a couple of our other Safeties) is not going to be in our long term plans, that much I think we can all agree on. I just think a message should be sent by Pagano himself because Lefeged has not exactly sounded contrite for putting himself in that situation, Im not tryin to pin the guy as some sort of animal but this makes me wonder whats he got going on up there between his ears and add that to his recent tweets and just think we could find a Safety of his caliber whos more mature

I think you're confusing Lefeged with Brazill. Brazill had the tweets and the sort of defiant demeanor after his suspension was announced. He also has the two drug violations, the most recent resulting in a suspension. He is a part of the NFL's substance abuse program, and he is subject to drug testing up to ten times a month. Just like McAfee, and anyone else who is in that program.

As of right now, I'm not aware of any defiant comments from Lefeged, other than his attorneys claiming that the charges were drummed up. And seeing as how they're charging him with open container, but not the other passenger, I can understand that. 

Speaking of which, there's no reason for a breathalyzer test on a passenger. The open container violation doesn't require him to be intoxicated.

I agree that he's not anything special that we need to cry over, should he be released. But it would be better if we didn't have to release him. Perhaps it's too late for that; he's already been arrested and spent three days behind bars. But I think requiring him to participate in the substance abuse program -- which includes the increased testing and an automatic four game suspension should he fail one -- would be seen as a healthy middle ground.

was only held at least on

Lefeged was being held without bond at D.C. jail on a weapon charge ( though now released )

EVIDENCE WAS from an article earlier in the post

. Officers smelled marijuana in the car and found a plastic bottle of vodka and orange juice in the center console and a semi-automatic pistol under the front passenger seat, police documents show. A receipt and purchase paperwork showed Lefeged bought the gun this year for about $900, police said.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9436643/joe-lefeged-indianapolis-colts-arrested-gun-charges

See I actually read Colt stuff all the time, Just limited time to respond, I post on Broncos as I will always love Peyton and few post on Broncos / Peyton so I do

No time to get into back & forth discussions on both Colts & NFL general , sometimes not even on 1 of my own posts

But know a certain Pats Troll said I have changed allegiance from Colts To Broncos and as I replied back, I was with them since mid 1950's, I have never changed allegiance from any team in any sport ever, though at the time I was much more vocal

Just wish Peyton wins the SB if Colts dont

They smelled it but didn't find any budkins ? Not a crime then :) i

I think you're confusing Lefeged with Brazill. Brazill had the tweets and the sort of defiant demeanor after his suspension was announced. He also has the two drug violations, the most recent resulting in a suspension. He is a part of the NFL's substance abuse program, and he is subject to drug testing up to ten times a month. Just like McAfee, and anyone else who is in that program.

As of right now, I'm not aware of any defiant comments from Lefeged, other than his attorneys claiming that the charges were drummed up. And seeing as how they're charging him with open container, but not the other passenger, I can understand that. 

Speaking of which, there's no reason for a breathalyzer test on a passenger. The open container violation doesn't require him to be intoxicated.

I agree that he's not anything special that we need to cry over, should he be released. But it would be better if we didn't have to release him. Perhaps it's too late for that; he's already been arrested and spent three days behind bars. But I think requiring him to participate in the substance abuse program -- which includes the increased testing and an automatic four game suspension should he fail one -- would be seen as a healthy middle ground.

Yeah I got confused between the two considering they are not that far apart in between incidents. I agree if lefeged makes it through cuts, requiring him to participate in the substance abuse program sounds like  good idea at this stage and go from there. Hopefully he kid can right the ship 

Exactly there was a coaching change in there.  While I do think behavior was very important to Polian I don't think it was make or break like it was for Dungy.  Keep in mind Polian also brought back Rhodes after he had a little brush with the law on his way out of town the first time and didn't cut McAfee after his night in the canal.  I think Polian just watched to make sure it wasn't a pattern of bad behavior and if it wasn't he would give you another chance.  With Dungy I think he was more strict on the no behavior issues.  Maybe that's just perception though too. 

"Manolo, choot dat piece of *!" ~Tony Montana

Seriously, the Colts can't replace a guy who is basically the fourth safety on the depth chart???  What is there to consider?  Boot his butt and move on so your franchise's name stops being mentioned anytime he shows up in the news. 

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2013/07/joe-lefeged-due-in-d-c-court-on-gun-charge-90846.html#ixzz2XzjdJ9TG

Lefeged says his case is being "drummed up."  Does that mean he thinks the police are embellishing the alcohol, drugs, gun and fleeing?  This man is too stupid to keep around.

These two guys must be cut, otherwise the entire roster will have free reign to offend in a similar fashion without fear of consequence, and that is no way to run a business. To say it would be better to keep these guys is just plain wrong.

I just don't understand this line of reasoning.

Simple. If any other player offended in a similar fashion to either JL or LB, how could we cut them? It would just show an inconsistent standard, and in my mind, having management 'double standards' is a sign of weakness.

But there is a double standard. If Andrew Luck got arrested for something non-violent (even if it's really stupid, like Lefeged), he's not getting cut. He's just not. It would be an inconsistent standard, but I think there's something to be said for the leaders of an organization reserving the right to address individual situations based on the circumstances surrounding each situation. I don't think it's necessary to implement a rigid standard that undermines your ability to make decisions as you see fit.

I also think there's a big difference between Brazill and Lefeged. As far as we know, Brazill didn't brazenly violate the law. I don't like that he got busted (twice) for taking an illegal substance, but it's not as bad as Lefeged. 

But really, I don't think the majority of NFL players are motivated by fear of being released. I don't think they decide not to do something wrong because "the last guy who did something wrong got cut." I think they want to support their teammates and live up to the expectations of their coaches, and so they work hard and stay out of trouble. That's the vast majority of them. Between all the guys who have been suspended for drug violations or had a run-in with the law over the past year, it's something like 2% of the league. That means that the vast majority of NFL players are abiding by the rules. I don't think a zero tolerance policy is necessary.

Yeah. DC is one of the last places you want to get caught w/ an unregistered gun.  That's probably why they decided to make a run for it.  If the Indystar is right about the charges he's looking a felony charge and significant time. Up to a year each on the unregistered firearm and ammunition charges. And up to 5 years on the carrying a firearm outside w/o a license (a felony) and presence of a firearm in a vehicle charges. Serious stuff.

I agree 100% the cardinal. Didn't Lefeged learn anything from former NY Giants WR Plaxico Burress? Register all firearms & the regulations on all weapons within the state or district you are traveling through. 

I just don't know how much more dangerous a combination you can come up with. Marijuana, a loaded gun (registered or not, legally carried or not), an open container of alcohol, in a moving vehicle. That's a potentially deadly cocktail.

To the bolded, Joe did run, according to reports. It was his gun, being carried illegally, under his seat, so it's not like he didn't know it was there. The open container of alcohol was in the center console, so it's not like he didn't know it was there.

He wasn't driving. No one was hurt. Perhaps the gun laws in DC are a bit draconian. I'm not a moralist who is going to preach against marijuana and alcohol. But this is still really, really poor decision making. And even worse PR for the league, the team, and the player. 

Bingo Superman...Not a shining beacon of model citizenry is it? Goodbye Mr. Lefeged. The Colts are an elite franchise why squander this opportunity to play for a great organization? It makes no sense to me at all.