Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Joe Lefeged Arrested...

icf

Interesting. Still, Lefeged's is not accused of having involvement in a murder, so I think comparing his situation with the swift action taken by the Pats is apples-and-oranges.

Well if I remember correctly he was released by the Pats before he even had his court appearance and charged with murder. :)

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if I remember correctly he was released by the Pats before he even had his court appearance and charged with murder. :)

It was after he was charged with murder.

You are both correct,  it was after the arrest ( and I'm sure the Pats knew at that time what the charges would be ) but before the Court Appearance, 

alcohols and Guns= bad mix , mj and and guns ? Well I have never heard of someone getting high and going I a killing spree , MJ Dosent have that effect on people at least that I have seen in my life .

I'm not saying that. I'm saying it's not a good mix. I know I wouldn't hand a gun to someone who was high. Their senses and judgment are impaired.

You are both correct,  it was after the arrest ( and I'm sure the Pats knew at that time what the charges would be ) but before the Court Appearance, 

According to what I just read on FB they have him [ Hernandez  ] at the seen on video surveliance.

I just don't know how much more dangerous a combination you can come up with. Marijuana, a loaded gun (registered or not, legally carried or not), an open container of alcohol, in a moving vehicle. That's a potentially deadly cocktail.

To the bolded, Joe did run, according to reports. It was his gun, being carried illegally, under his seat, so it's not like he didn't know it was there. The open container of alcohol was in the center console, so it's not like he didn't know it was there.

He wasn't driving. No one was hurt. Perhaps the gun laws in DC are a bit draconian. I'm not a moralist who is going to preach against marijuana and alcohol. But this is still really, really poor decision making. And even worse PR for the league, the team, and the player. 

I hear you, Supe.....

But he didnt shoot at police....run over old ladys and the gun wasnt hidden under bags of cocaine.

If he ran from police...hopefully it was because he knew he was an NFL player whose disgraced family name was about to go world wide.. on ther web

What I was saying was: Joe L. can CLAIM he forgot the gun was there. He can CLAIM he ran out of fear of disgrace.

This is what he can SAY when he gets before the judge.  to avoid jail time which would end his career.

That's what he can SAY to Goddell to get huis suspension reduced to maybe just 8 games.

More details are sure to come, who knows the whole truth..

....and this late night escapade does indeed sound like a summer vacation in New Jack City.

But if he didnt injure anyone and admits he's an *.....I hope he gets a second chance..

Joy riding...HA HA!  

Get my horse out and my 6 shooters....Lets party on the streets of DC....and smoke a little weed....sip on some vodka and juice...(standing up in car means no seatbelt right? stupid right?)  Still laughing...

Driver:  This weed is the best ever....although it burns like Johnson Grass.....(Farm Humor)  Driver giggles uncontrollably and 'munches Doritos' incessantly.  

Passenger:  WOW!  Standing here on South Beach is freaking awesome!(Hmmmm thought we were in DC)

Joe:  Anybody for a run?  Here comes the Po Po.......Annie getcha gun...we aint in Indy any more.

Driver:  Gotta ditch the weed and V   Smoke em if ya got em.....

:sarcasm:  :sarcasm:  :edit:  :flag:  :flag:  :flag:

Exactly Brent....Saturday night in the hood.. :)

No place to go and a long time to get there...

Just a beautiful day in the neighborhood,,,,a beautiful day in the neighborhood...

Officer....Will you be my neighbor???

I'm not saying that. I'm saying it's not a good mix. I know I wouldn't hand a gun to someone who was high. Their senses and judgment are impaired.

I understand , what im saying is I would hand a gun to somebody who was high over someone who was drunk .

Exactly Brent....Saturday night in the hood.. :)

No place to go and a long time to get there...

Just a beautiful day in the neighborhood,,,,a beautiful day in the neighborhood...

Officer....Will you be my neighbor???

Poor Mr Rogers......he gets a bad rap...:)

wpbsk-MR-thumb.png

I understand , what im saying is I would hand a gun to somebody who was high over someone who was drunk .

That's a sad decision to have to make...

Point was that all four of those elements combined make for a dangerous situation.

Cut him. You would think after what just happened with Hernandez some of these guys would be smart enough to rethink some of the decisions they make and who they hang around with.  Leading police on a chase with a bunch of unregistered guns and ammo in the car?  Obviously did not get Pagano's message at the end of mini camp.  Time for the message to be sent more forcefully now in my opinion. One arrest and one suspension for drugs already.

He wasn't driving, so HE didn't FLEE from anybody. from what i've read so far, nothing said any of the guns were his.

I believe in the second amendment and believe that all gun laws are unconstitutional.  And what the H e double toothpicks is UNREGISTERED AMMO?  yes, that is one of the charges

as far as i'm concerned with the info i have now, the only thing he's guilty of this time is hanging around with the wrong people.

He wasn't driving, so HE didn't FLEE from anybody. from what i've read so far, nothing said any of the guns were his.

I believe in the second amendment and believe that all gun laws are unconstitutional.  And what the H e double toothpicks is UNREGISTERED AMMO?  yes, that is one of the charges

as far as i'm concerned with the info i have now, the only thing he's guilty of this time is hanging around with the wrong people.

According to reports, he got out of the car and ran from police. The gun found was purchased by him, and had Maryland paperwork in his name. He wasn't authorized to carry it in DC.

A discussion of gun rights and constitutional amendments is better served for a different site, no matter how ridiculous some of us might find some of these charges. (By the way, "unregistered ammo" seems pretty ridiculous to me, but that's the law in DC, so...) But I will say that the proper way to challenge the constitutionality of a local, state, or federal law is through the courts, not just disregarding them because you disagree with them. You can rail against gun control laws all day, but they are still the law, until they are struck down by the court system. That means that when a person is found violating that law, they are held accountable according to that law. 

As far as I'm concerned, he's not guilty of anything yet. He hasn't stood before a judge yet, much less been convicted of a crime. But he did get himself into a sticky situation, and according to what's been reported, it screams bad judgment on his part. If it turns out that this is all a big misunderstanding, then I'll gladly retract all of my previous criticisms. 

According to reports, he got out of the car and ran from police. The gun found was purchased by him, and had Maryland paperwork in his name. He wasn't authorized to carry it in DC.

A discussion of gun rights and constitutional amendments is better served for a different site, no matter how ridiculous some of us might find some of these charges. (By the way, "unregistered ammo" seems pretty ridiculous to me, but that's the law in DC, so...) But I will say that the proper way to challenge the constitutionality of a local, state, or federal law is through the courts, not just disregarding them because you disagree with them. You can rail against gun control laws all day, but they are still the law, until they are struck down by the court system. That means that when a person is found violating that law, they are held accountable according to that law. 

As far as I'm concerned, he's not guilty of anything yet. He hasn't stood before a judge yet, much less been convicted of a crime. But he did get himself into a sticky situation, and according to what's been reported, it screams bad judgment on his part. If it turns out that this is all a big misunderstanding, then I'll gladly retract all of my previous criticisms. 

ok, the article i saw didn't say anything about him getting out of car or that gun was in his name, etc

ok, the article i saw didn't say anything about him getting out of car or that gun was in his name, etc

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9436643/joe-lefeged-indianapolis-colts-arrested-gun-charges

Lefeged was a front-seat passenger in a Chevy Camaro that fled a traffic stop for speeding in northeast Washington just after midnight. Officers smelled marijuana in the car and found a plastic bottle of vodka and orange juice in the center console and a semi-automatic pistol under the front passenger seat, police documents show. A receipt and purchase paperwork showed Lefeged bought the gun this year for about $900, police said.

Lefeged and another passenger were caught when they tried to run from the car in different directions, police said. The driver ran away and was not immediately caught.

There was a conflicting report that suggested only the driver ran away, but depending on how it's read, it could mean that only the driver got away. There's a hearing tomorrow. If he's charged with resisting arrest, that will clear that up pretty definitively.

I'm usually not one to jump the gun (bad pun intended) about things, but I think the Colts need to be proactive in this situation, not reactive.  It's a perfect time to make an example to everyone in the locker room that run ins with the law are not going to be tolerated.  I like #35 as a player, but not so much that I'm willing to accept him putting a blemish on the horseshoe like this.  He is an UFA, so it's not like we have a great deal invested in him.  I have little doubt in Grigson's ability to dig up somebody to replace him.  Goodbye Mr. Lefedge, best of luck in your future endeavors! 

A problem with a Safety doesn't help a Corner. If you're referring to the fact that Dax is listed as a Safety that's a typo. He's a CB

yeah, i know Dax is a corner. And I thought the same thing until I saw where Roy Anderson had Swanson listed as a safety possibility.

FWIW:

Lefeged has been released. Not cleared, just let out of jail. Posted bail.

Prosecution wanted him held in jail saying the gun was loaded and that there was evidence of gun use.

But released.

Now we'll see where this goes.......

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9443984/joe-lefeged-indianapolis-colts-released-jail-hearing

what does evidence of gun use mean? it wasnt cleaned after he used it last. is that a crime too

what does evidence of gun use mean? it wasnt cleaned after he used it last. is that a crime too

Sorry,   awake too early....   brain cramp....

Drug use....   story says there was evidence of drug use....    in other words,  Lefeged and his friend were smoking pot.

Sorry.    I'll see if I can't clear some cobwebs away!        :slaphead:

FWIW:

Lefeged has been released.     Not cleared,   just let out of jail.   Posted bail.

Prosecution wanted him held in jail saying the gun was loaded and that there was evidence of gun use.

But released.

Now we'll see where this goes.......

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9443984/joe-lefeged-indianapolis-colts-released-jail-hearing

Great ? thats why I investigated article

didnt say gun usearticle if read it says

Prosecutors wanted to keep him behind bars, saying the gun was loaded and there was evidence of drug use.

What is evidence of drug use :funny: our politicaly correct Nations capital,he either did or didn't on drug use,and guarantee they checked so lets not have Gray areas here,Joe wasn't using his head ,but nevermind ,no worse place he could've got in trouble..The NFL refused to promote or advertise Obama care so he will probably be the example.

What is evidence of drug use :funny: our politicaly correct Nations capital,he either did or didn't on drug use,and guarantee they checked so lets not have Gray areas here,Joe wasn't using his head ,but nevermind ,no worse place he could've got in trouble.

was only held at least on 

Lefeged was being held without bond at D.C. jail on a weapon charge ( though now released )

EVIDENCE WAS from an article earlier in the post

. Officers smelled marijuana in the car and found a plastic bottle of vodka and orange juice in the center console and a semi-automatic pistol under the front passenger seat, police documents show. A receipt and purchase paperwork showed Lefeged bought the gun this year for about $900, police said.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9436643/joe-lefeged-indianapolis-colts-arrested-gun-charges

See I actually read Colt stuff all the time,  Just limited time to respond, I post on Broncos as I will always love Peyton and few post on Broncos / Peyton so I do

No time to get into back & forth discussions on both Colts & NFL general , sometimes not even on 1 of my own posts

But know a certain Pats Troll said I have changed allegiance from Colts To Broncos and as I replied back, I was with them since mid 1950's, I have never changed allegiance from any team in any sport ever, though at the time I was much more vocal

Just wish Peyton wins the SB if Colts dont 

What is evidence of drug use :funny: our politicaly correct Nations capital,he either did or didn't on drug use,and guarantee they checked so lets not have Gray areas here,Joe wasn't using his head ,but nevermind ,no worse place he could've got in trouble.The NFL refused to promote or advertise Obama care so he will probably be the example.

So, because the NFL didn't take a partisan stand on health care legislation, the DC justice system (which has nothing to do with federal legislation) is going to make an example out of a lowly backup safety from the Colts, on gun charges?

I hope you stretched before making that reach...

So, because the NFL didn't take a partisan stand on health care legislation, the DC justice system (which has nothing to do with federal legislation) is going to make an example out of a lowly backup safety from the Colts, on gun charges?

I hope you stretched before making that reach...

Yes I did lol .Not defending Joes actions at all,and I wont.But I can see this being the case ,and to set there and think the Feds don't have any sway with local DC law enforcement is ludicrous IMO.What Joe did was bad enough,not observing the Firearms laws of The District of C just out right brain dead,wether from ignorance or arrogance.But it is controlled by The Feds its Federal land,so yes they do have a say.

Yes I did lol .Not defending Joes actions at all,and I wont.But I can see this being the case ,and to set there and think the Feds don't have any sway with local DC law enforcement is ludicrous IMO.What Joe did was bad enough,not observing the Firearms laws of The District of C just out right brain dead,wether from ignorance or arrogance.But it is controlled by The Feds its Federal land,so yes they do have a say.

DC has its own court system and police force. The feds aren't going to get involved on the basis of teaching the NFL a lesson. Joe Lefeged is an analog player in a digital world; entirely inconsequential to the NFL. Throwing the book at him isn't teaching the NFL anything. It's just an entirely wild assertion. But you enjoy, by all means. 

DC has its own court system and police force. The feds aren't going to get involved on the basis of teaching the NFL a lesson. Joe Lefeged is an analog player in a digital world; entirely inconsequential to the NFL. Throwing the book at him isn't teaching the NFL anything. It's just an entirely wild assertion. But you enjoy, by all means. 

I agree with your assessment of throwing the book at him ,wont teach the NFL anything.I also commend the NFL for not being dragged into the Political side such as the NBA evidently has decided to do.

I agree with your assessment of throwing the book at him ,wont teach the NFL anything.I also commend the NFL for not being dragged into the Political side such as the NBA evidently has decided to do.

From what I've heard and read, the NBA isn't doing anything to promote ACA either. 

I don't even necessarily see promoting perceived benefits of the law as inherently political. I understand the political climate and all, but to me, it's akin to telling your employees to take advantage of any other law or government program. 

From what I've heard and read, the NBA isn't doing anything to promote ACA either. 

I don't even necessarily see promoting perceived benefits of the law as inherently political. I understand the political climate and all, but to me, it's akin to telling your employees to take advantage of any other law or government program. 

Read today where they were going to advertise during the games,actually a few min. ago but will drop it Lol to get back on topic :thmup:

Why are NFL players doing things only a 20-something loser would do? Riding around, drinking vodka and smoking grass with an unregistered gun In WASHINTON DC? 

HERP?

DC isn't even America, they have such blind gun laws that they've even arrested and prosecuted military personnel for transporting their registered military firearms through their sordid little stain on our map, while on his way to return to active duty deployment. 

DC's ridiculous guns laws aside, Joe's actions were absolutely mindless and immature. This move he made was about as impressive as his kick returns. 

http://www.indystar.com/article/20130702/SPORTS03/307020021/Colts-safety-Joe-Lefeged-released-personal-recognizance-without-bond-after-hearing-gun-related-charges-Washington-D-C-

Schrader also told the judge that Lefeged attempted to flee and that the handgun found under the front seat of the car was loaded.

The judge said he had concerns about the alleged attempt to flee the scene.

“The flight problem bothers me more than anything, but that’s for a judge down the road,” said Sullivan.

The attorney said he did not know what type of drug the government was alleging was found in the vehicle. “I haven’t been told,” said Schertler. He added that if there were any drugs in the car, they were related to a previous surgery undergone by Lefeged. “We do not believe there is any drug issue at all,” said Schertler.

Lefeged was charged with carrying a firearm without a license, having a firearm unregistered in the district, having unregistered ammunition, having a firearm in a motor vehicle and possession of an open container of alcohol.

William Miller, a spokesman for the U.S. attorney’s office for the District of Columbia, said Tuesday morning that no charges were filed against the other passenger following his arrest. Miller said the driver of the car managed to flee the scene.

Before he left the courtroom, Lefeged was advised that the charges against him carry a maximum penalty of $5,000 fine and/or up to five years in prison.

It becomes very clear that Lefeged did attempt to flee the scene.

I also wonder why the other passenger isn't being charged with anything. The more serious charges belong to Lefeged (the gun, the open alcohol container), but the other passenger also fled. 

http://www.indystar.com/article/20130702/SPORTS03/307020021/Colts-safety-Joe-Lefeged-released-personal-recognizance-without-bond-after-hearing-gun-related-charges-Washington-D-C-

It becomes very clear that Lefeged did attempt to flee the scene.

I also wonder why the other passenger isn't being charged with anything. The more serious charges belong to Lefeged (the gun, the open alcohol container), but the other passenger also fled. 

Unless I missed something, the driver fled and the (other) passenger did not. 

Why is he still on the Colts roster if he did do those things he is accused of?

I hope our front office is gathering as many facts as it can before deciding to releasing him.

In fairness, it's not the worst thing in the world. It's not a violent crime. It's really stupid, but I don't necessarily think that he just absolutely has to go because of this. Teams have kept players after worse incidents.

However, if we are going to determine that he should be released because of this (and maybe he should), it's worth noting that he's been in jail the past three days. The team hasn't had a chance to talk to him about what happened yet. It would make sense that they'd want to hear his side of the story before they make any decision.

In fairness, it's not the worst thing in the world. It's not a violent crime. It's really stupid, but I don't necessarily think that he just absolutely has to go because of this. Teams have kept players after worse incidents.

However, if we are going to determine that he should be released because of this (and maybe he should), it's worth noting that he's been in jail the past three days. The team hasn't had a chance to talk to him about what happened yet. It would make sense that they'd want to hear his side of the story before they make any decision.

Yeah, Plaxico Burress took a gun out in public when he was not supposed to in New York, he was released by the Giants.

It is not about making him a scape goat but setting a tone for this fluid pre-dominantly young team that does not need distractions, IMO.

I do think we kept Dom Rhodes after a DUI, Fili Moala after a DUI though with a one game suspension, but not sure if they are looking for repeat offense to release a player. If that were the case, technically Lavon Brazil was a repeat offender (CBA agreed to 2nd offense being punishable) due to which he was punished by the NFL, just not by the Colts.

We kept Kenton Keith after his incident but released him after pre-season based on his on field performance. I would not be surprised if both Brazil and Lefeged are gone, the question is if it will be before pre-season or after.

I do think (whether anyone else agrees or not) the Colts have to act at least with a suspension of their own for these players, otherwise it makes it seem like their actions are being condoned.