Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Non-clear bags to be banned from games?

englishcoltsfan

I guess my question is..... What is it that people feel the NEED to take into a game that requires a Bag...??

When I go to the games, the only things I take in is my ticket, my camera, my cell phone, and cash, all of which could fit in

my pockets.

I agree 100%.

If it's a game that I need a sweatshirt or jacket, I wear it in.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to four games last year and they used a metal detector on me all four time before I entered the stadium.  I didn't bring a bag in but I don't see why the metal detector wouldn't go crazy when they ran it over someone's purse with a gun or knife inside.  I went to the open minicamp on Wed and had a bag with a Colts helmet inside.  They just had me hold it open and looked inside.

I went to four games last year and they used a metal detector on me all four time before I entered the stadium. I didn't bring a bag in but I don't see why the metal detector wouldn't go crazy when they ran it over someone's purse with a gun or knife inside. I went to the open minicamp on Wed and had a bag with a Colts helmet inside. They just had me hold it open and looked inside.

Not all dangerous things react to a metal detector unfortunately.....

I dont get this. They search your bags anyways

They "search bags."

I've seen bags searched more thoroughly going into DisneyWorld.

Anytime someone with me has brought a bag, they look inside poke for a second, and send them along. So many ways to hide something with how it was done.

Not that the new system makes us 100% safe in any way.

I always carry my wife's ID when we go to a game and throw my jacket under the seat.  When I take my kids though I have to bring a backpack with me for all of their stuff, 3 of 4 are girls so you know how that goes. Guess we will have to find one of those clear beach bags from now on.

This is all I ever carry in to the games.  For me, the less stuff I carry in, the better. It's just big enough for my camera, cell phone, and cash.

.  L13123714.jpg  

This is what I carry as well and it has just enough room for my essentials, BUT, we have always carried a trash bag (kitchen sized) and share it to store coats, hats, gloves, souvenirs, programs, etc and placed it under one of our seats for protection.  One empty trash bag held the possessions of 4 people and kept them dry and clean.

Sure, we can still hang our coats on our seats, but now they will get stepped on, spilled on, etc...in other words...dirty as all get out.  It was bad enough at the game when some drunk spilled a beer all down the back of my then BRAND NEW Dallas Clark jersey and then laughed about it...I would have been even more ticked off had I had to also pay to clean my coat, my purse and anything else I had with me.

I understand the need for safety...but to be told I can't bring in an OBVIOUSLY EMPTY trashbag is frustrating. 

For what it's worth, out of all the games I've been to, I have been searched every time but one.  I have even had to take the lens off of my camera on occasion and let them look through the lens itself.  Sure, security can always be improved and I'm all for that.  But somethings just don't make sense.

maybe the nfl can do pre-approved screening for a fee to allow folks to bypass the security :)

Hmmmm......taking a look at the menu.......what sounds good today....

"OK, I'll have the gloved pat down and can I substitute something else for the body cavity search?"

I carry a wallet...     my cooler would be way too big to bring into the game.    hheeee

Buying beer sucks but it is a necessary evil.    

What do we all (ticket holders) think of this?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/nfl-bag-policy-definitely-ruffle-feathers-especially-among-134351237.html

This seems crazy if true: For those too lazy to read the article, the NFL is bringing in a new bag policy which means we will no longer be able to take any bags into games beyond the size of clutch bags for women and any bags men take in must be clear.

This seems like total overkill to me. I like to have a backpack to keep my hoodie/warm clothes in so they aren't touching the nasty ground in the stadium on days when it's cold outside/warm inside. Also my wife is going to be pretty mad about not being able to take her purse into the game.

Serious question: Have any of you ever felt unsafe at an NFL game? I know I certainly haven't and the paranoia in this country about safety is getting insane.

I spoke with some Packers fans about it and they are pretty mad - you need to bring a kit of supplies with you to Lambeau in the winter and a small clear bag just doesn't cut it.

Here's another link to the official policy:

http://www.nfl.com/allclear

• 3 weeks later...

Good news for season ticket holders....took me awhile to find this thread :)  Maybe Colts can sell them cheap for non holders.  Very good PR once again by the Colts!  Today's Indianapolis Star:

NFL 

Colts ticket holders to get bag

The Colts announced Monday they will give season ticket holders a bag that complies with the NFL’s new rules for what can be brought into stadiums.

The NFL had earlier announced restrictions on the size and type of bags that will be allowed.

The bags for season ticket holders will be sent in early August.

I personally do not like it. Granted I never carry a bag in, what happens if you have a family and you are taking your wife and young kid who's still in diapers to the game as some people do? You can't carry a diaper bag now. I think it's just another example of people being willing to agree to limits on their freedoms in the name of security.

I have been reading all these post and knowing what my response was going to be and then you types this.............BINGO!!!!  We have a winner. 

"Those who give up their liberty for security deserve neither".  Many here seem willing to give up those freedoms (smh)  buttercups!

I am amazed so many people do not see what is happening around them.  No one has any business snooping thru your bags.

What is next?  In order for our neighborhoods to be safe the government has ignored the 4th amendment and decided they need to go door to door in the neighborhood and search for bombs.  Knock at the door................let us in we are going to search you and your house.

Good luck to you all sleeping thru the transformation of America and the removal of all our rights.

I have been reading all these post and knowing what my response was going to be and then you types this.............BINGO!!!!  We have a winner. 

"Those who give up their liberty for security deserve neither".  Many here seem willing to give up those freedoms (smh)  buttercups!

I am amazed so many people do not see what is happening around them.  No one has any business snooping thru your bags.

What is next?  In order for our neighborhoods to be safe the government has ignored the 4th amendment and decided they need to go door to door in the neighborhood and search for bombs.  Knock at the door................let us in we are going to search you and your house.

Good luck to you all sleeping thru the transformation of America and the removal of all our rights.

There is a difference between a private company implementing rules to attend their events and state sponsored door to door searches.  If the state or federal government was dictating to private companies like the NFL or IMS that they had to do these type of things then you would have a point, but these companies are taking it upon themselves to implement their own security measures.  

Having these rules in place is no different then say a bar having a type of dress codes that bans hats or a restaurant that required a jacket for men to be in there.

Equating state sponsored illegal searches to private companies implementing their own security policies is such a stretch its not even funny.

I have been reading all these post and knowing what my response was going to be and then you types this.............BINGO!!!! We have a winner.

"Those who give up their liberty for security deserve neither". Many here seem willing to give up those freedoms (smh) buttercups!

I am amazed so many people do not see what is happening around them. No one has any business snooping thru your bags.

What is next? In order for our neighborhoods to be safe the government has ignored the 4th amendment and decided they need to go door to door in the neighborhood and search for bombs. Knock at the door................let us in we are going to search you and your house.

Hyperbole at its finest.

They absolutely have every right to search your stuff if your entering THEIR facility. If you don't want to go to the stadium. Don't. If someone is so offended by the security making sure a wacko isn't bringing a gun or a bomb into a place filled with innocent people, I don't know what to tell you.

What your trying to compare this to is completely different. Couldn't be more different if you tried. It's not like their giving cavity searches. You open the bag they do a quick look, and your good to go.

People are so dramatic about stuff like this. Dangerous people have a pretty rich history of doing stupid things at sporting events. This isn't like a new precedent or anything.

I have been reading all these post and knowing what my response was going to be and then you types this.............BINGO!!!! We have a winner.

"Those who give up their liberty for security deserve neither". Many here seem willing to give up those freedoms (smh) buttercups!

I am amazed so many people do not see what is happening around them. No one has any business snooping thru your bags.

What is next? In order for our neighborhoods to be safe the government has ignored the 4th amendment and decided they need to go door to door in the neighborhood and search for bombs. Knock at the door................let us in we are going to search you and your house.

9/11 started the "transformation" you're referring too. And the bomb in Boston really isn't helping the situation. Can't blame the government or anyone for being paranoid about danger in today's society. Seems like anything can happen at sny given time. It quite sad what society has become honestly

:sigh:

I sure miss the pre 'search' days

I also miss the old stadium where you could go visit friends at their seats

now,if you don't have a ticket for that section...........you get turned away

I guess NFL must feel like a target and that makes them do things like this

But it still seams like they want football games to be safer than airplanes..........so I still question it

what's next, clear suitcases only on airplanes?

I feel like ranting about TSA.  These days they can toss your suitcase and lose your stuff.........and there is no avenue for saying "HEY PAY FOR THOSE SHOES YOU LOST"

They can also keep your suitcase from getting on the plane..........and not tell anyone...........so you spend hours running around trying to figure out where it is when you get to your destination

I understand safety but come on..........most of us are not criminals and I think they should be responsible and accountable for what they do

off my off topic rant now

I sure miss the pre 'search' days

I also miss the old stadium where you could go visit friends at their seats

now,if you don't have a ticket for that section...........you get turned away

I guess NFL must feel like a target and that makes them do things like this

But it still seams like they want football games to be safer than airplanes..........so I still question it

what's next, clear suitcases only on airplanes?

I feel like ranting about TSA.  These days they can toss your suitcase and lose your stuff.........and there is no avenue for saying "HEY PAY FOR THOSE SHOES YOU LOST"

They can also keep your suitcase from getting on the plane..........and not tell anyone...........so you spend hours running around trying to figure out where it is when you get to your destination

I understand safety but come on..........most of us are not criminals and I think they should be responsible and accountable for what they do

off my off topic rant now

TSA is one of the reasons I retired.....9 year of travel...got shall we say troublesome and tedious...just awful...

I remember the Colts being called soft................how about soft fans.  Quit being afraid of everything.  The government, police, TSA....security can not protect you.  Protect yourself and your family and quit putting that responsibility on someone else. (Wuss).  Those dogs standing with the police right next to the explosion (Boston) did not protect the people and searching bags or violating your rights will not protect you either.  You are the ones Benjamin franklin and our fore fathers warned us about.  We need more men in this world not a bunch of over reacting, whiny spineless cowards.  MAN UP.

Scaird?  Stay away from the stadium.  Stay away from schools, planes movie theaters etc.  Where will you go where you feel safe and not need to be searched?  Nowhere?

I remember the Colts being called soft................how about soft fans.  Quit being afraid of everything.  The government, police, TSA....security can not protect you.  Protect yourself and your family and quit putting that responsibility on someone else. (Wuss).  Those dogs standing with the police right next to the explosion (Boston) did not protect the people and searching bags or violating your rights will not protect you either.  You are the ones Benjamin franklin and our fore fathers warned us about.  We need more men in this world not a bunch of over reacting, whiny spineless cowards.  MAN UP.

Scaird?  Stay away from the stadium.  Stay away from schools, planes movie theaters etc.  Where will you go where you feel safe and not need to be searched?  Nowhere?

WOW!  Better not comment on the Wuss thing........lets just say I am not one...and never will be one.  I am in total disagreement with your philosophies.  Done here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

Read this......understand it and stand up for yourself and fellow Americans.  Where in their does it say that security at the stadium can search my bag and take whatever they feel is dangerous?

Hyperbole at its finest.

They absolutely have every right to search your stuff if your entering THEIR facility. If you don't want to go to the stadium. Don't. If someone is so offended by the security making sure a wacko isn't bringing a gun or a bomb into a place filled with innocent people, I don't know what to tell you.

What your trying to compare this to is completely different. Couldn't be more different if you tried. It's not like their giving cavity searches. You open the bag they do a quick look, and your good to go.

People are so dramatic about stuff like this. Dangerous people have a pretty rich history of doing stupid things at sporting events. This isn't like a new precedent or anything.

Read this......understand it and stand up for yourself and fellow Americans. Where in their does it say that security at the stadium can search my bag and take whatever they feel is dangerous?

It's their property. They can put in place whatever rules they want. Your coming into their building where they are 100% liable for what goes on inside it.

No one is forcing you to go to the stadium. But if you want to. They make the rules. Just like if I wanted to check someone's bag if they wanted to come in my house. They aren't obligated to let me, but I can refuse to let them in if they don't.

Also the 4th amendment clearly states "Unreasonable search and seizure." It's not unreasonable to search people who might have dangerous things on them. Seeing as people have done it many times before.

It is not ok to call fans wuss whiny or cowards

Also not ok to imply that the fans here are not amercian enough

Just like the NFL we make the rules here and that's what the rule is

And if you do not like the rules you are of-course free to post elsewhere.

It's their property. They can put in place whatever rules they want. Your coming into their building where they are 100% liable for what goes on inside it.

No one is forcing you to go to the stadium. But if you want to. They make the rules. Just like if I wanted to check someone's bag if they wanted to come in my house. They aren't obligated to let me, but I can refuse to let them in if they don't.

Also the 4th amendment clearly states "Unreasonable search and seizure." It's not unreasonable to search people who might have dangerous things on them. Seeing as people have done it many times before.

Yeah it is totally reasonable to search 60,000 people.  Where is the probable cause for the search.  You can allow yourself to be punished and your rights stripped from you because of a couple of psychos.

Yeah it is totally reasonable to search 60,000 people. Where is the probable cause for the search. You can allow yourself to be punished and your rights stripped from you because of a couple of psychos.

I've never been searched going into Lucas Oil, but that's because I don't carry a bag.

I have every right to not go to an NFL stadium, but if I choose to. I don't suddenly get to make the rules.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, July 9, 2013 - shot
Hidden by Nadine, July 9, 2013 - shot

Read this......understand it and stand up for yourself and fellow Americans.  Where in their does it say that security at the stadium can search my bag and take whatever they feel is dangerous?

Up there in the running for the most obnoxious set of ignorant posts in the history of this forum. Do you know what football is or are you just here to whinge about your pathetic little political protest.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, July 9, 2013 - shot at moderation
Hidden by Nadine, July 9, 2013 - shot at moderation

It is not ok to call fans wuss whiny or cowards

Also not ok to imply that the fans here are not amercian enough

Just like the NFL we make the rules here and that's what the rule is

And if you do not like the rules you are of-course free to post elsewhere

Up there in the running for the most obnoxious set of ignorant posts in the history of this forum. Do you know what football is or are you just here to whinge about your pathetic little political protest.

Here for football but I do enjoy hearing your opinion.  Braveheart was against Tyranny lol Get it!

The Constitution is there to protect us from the government not private companies.  You are not separating the policies and procedures a private company has put in place (NFL) versus state/federal sanctioned searches. If this was the federal government standing outside the stadium using police and troops to search everyone then yes they would be flying in the face of the Constitution, but private companies are allowed to set their own policies and procedures.  They are taking no right away from you at all.  They are just saying to enjoy their services you have to abide by these rules.

If you do not like them then you have the right to refuse their service.  That is how the free market works.  This has nothing to do with the Constitution. 

Yeah it is totally reasonable to search 60,000 people.  Where is the probable cause for the search.  You can allow yourself to be punished and your rights stripped from you because of a couple of psychos.

Your rights aren't being stripped. You still have the right to stay home.

And I don't see what's unreasonable about searching 60,000 people. Close to 200,000 people fly out of LAX every day, and they are all searched very thoroughly.

I've never been searched going into Lucas Oil, but that's because I don't carry a bag.

I have every right to not go to an NFL stadium, but if I choose to. I don't suddenly get to make the rules.

yeah I think this mostly will affect women

guess my husband will have to carry his own stuff now

Oh definitely. Fortunately they are still allowing bags, they just have to meet their requirements. I'm sure fans will catch on quick, and hopefully it won't be that big of a deterrent.

Oh definitely. Fortunately they are still allowing bags, they just have to meet their requirements. I'm sure fans will catch on quick, and hopefully it won't be that big of a deterrent.

I'm gonna buy cargo pants!

Going back to the TSA....I trained for my company....carried LCD and about 100 pounds of materials for 9 years...was traveling the week of September 11 too.  Every place I went I was searched.....and more than anything it got old...other than a couple airports....they searched a little too 'handsy.'   :)

Your rights aren't being stripped. You still have the right to stay home.

And I don't see what's unreasonable about searching 60,000 people. Close to 200,000 people fly out of LAX every day, and they are all searched very thoroughly.

I agree even our men in uniform are searched,and they are supposed to be fighting to protect our rights,Unfortionately our borders have been over run,and to not have this done would be just irresponsible,I don't personaly like it ,but its a dangerous world we live in,and the NFL and Colts want there fans to be safe.And believe me no one is more concerned about our rights and the Constitution than myself.

I agree even our men in uniform are searched,and they are supposed to be fighting to protect our rights,Unfortionately our borders have been over run,and to not have this done would be just irresponsible,I don't personaly like it ,but its a dangerous world we live in,and the NFL and Colts want there fans to be safe.And believe me no one is more concerned about our rights and the Constitution than myself.

yeah but you have to admit.........the suggestion to bring a ziplock bag to the game is lame

who's gonna do that?