Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Non-clear bags to be banned from games?

englishcoltsfan

I am still a bit puzzled :nutz:  as to what all the Fuss is about..   :mindblow:   :?:

I guess my question is..... What is it that people feel the NEED to take into a game that requires a Bag...??

When I go to the games, the only things I take in is  my ticket, my camera, my cell phone, and cash,  all of which could fit in 

my pockets.  

If it's a game that I need a sweatshirt or jacket,  I wear it in.

Sorry Gramz. I misinterpreted what you were saying. My apologies. I thought you didn't understand my perspective. Clearly, that is not the case. I do agree that a fan can wear a sweatshirt into any stadium or they can tie it around their waist until they need it. But, what if a fan is attending a late game at Soldier Field, especially a night game say on Monday Night Football & the weather turns colder than you expected as the game progresses. I suppose a fan could buy an additional article of clothing on the stadium grounds, but sometimes no amount of clothing is gonna keep you warm as the weather turns frigid & unpleasant particularly in the Midwest in November & December.

What's a fan supposed to do in this case? Go inside an eating establishment & watch the rest of the game on TV? It seems odd to pay for tickets & then watch the game on site on a flatscreen TV to avoid freezing to death...Or to go to car, turn the heater on, & listen to the rest of the game on your Sirus XM radio doesn't it? Just thinking outloud...

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At times I'm not sure what I am. My wife calls me many things, and 'man' normally is not it!

95% of those complaining here seem not to be woman. Maybe some are concerned a see through bag will highlight their lippy...

I meant that in response to your post that you don't take any bags to sporting events, but many women do (purses, etc.)

Sorry Gramz. I misinterpreted what you were saying. My apologies. I thought you didn't understand my perspective. Clearly, that is not the case. I do agree that a fan can wear a sweatshirt into any stadium or they can tie it around their waist until they need it. But, what if a fan is attending a late game at Soldier Field, especially a night game say on Monday Night Football & the weather turns colder than you expected as the game progresses. I suppose a fan could buy an additional article of clothing on the stadium grounds, but sometimes no amount of clothing is gonna keep you warm as the weather turns frigid & unpleasant particularly in the Midwest in November & December.

What's a fan supposed to do in this case? Go inside an eating establishment & watch the rest of the game on TV? It seems odd to pay for tickets & then watch the game on site on a flatscreen TV to avoid freezing to death...Or to go to car, turn the heater on, & listen to the rest of the game on your Sirus XM radio doesn't it? Just thinking outloud...

Wear your coat or jacket  in...... take it off when you get to your seat,  put it back on later when it gets cold.   Pretty easy, really

Point well taken.

I just remember my experiences with TSA the week of Sept 11, 2001. I thank my lucky stars that our stadiums have not been vastly impacted like the 6 hour wait on Friday, September 14, 2001 when the airports opened back up....

I continued traveling every week until May of 2008 when I hung up my career.....I have not flown since....just was sick of the TSA nightmares....

That said, I still think we are lucky rules have not been more strict before now.....and I am not for or against the new rules....I will live with it..and yep...Que needs a job!   :)

angel_mixed_0072.jpg

Funny joke there Brent!  haha  But, you raise an excellent point: The physical presence of dogs, particularly German shepherds, does make criminals think twice about doing something dumb. If you've ever seen a German shepherd take down a running assailant, you know exactly what I'm talking about. Ha! Ha!  lmao

I guess my question is..... What is it that people feel the NEED to take into a game that requires a Bag...??

When I go to the games, the only things I take in is  my ticket, my camera, my cell phone, and cash,  all of which could fit in 

my pockets.  

If it's a game that I need a sweatshirt or jacket,  I wear it in.

Accessories/supplies related to medical problems. Alternative clothing - particularly if it might rain (not every stadium has a roof). Food/Drink if you can't afford (or don't like) the stadium fare. Something to fall back on if you don't really care about the game and are just keeping your spouse company.

I distinctly remember going to a double-header with my parents and sister when I was a kid, and my Mom spent most of it knitting. And she liked baseball. When you are going to an "event" far from home - particularly if your car isn't parked right outside - there's nothing wrong with bringing "too much just in case" as long as it doesn't infringe on the people sitting by you. I don't necessarily NEED to bring a lot of stuff to a football game, but being told that you CAN'T is still unwelcome - and requires careful planning.

Accessories/supplies related to medical problems. Alternative clothing - particularly if it might rain (not every stadium has a roof). Food/Drink if you can't afford (or don't like) the stadium fare. Something to fall back on if you don't really care about the game and are just keeping your spouse company.

I distinctly remember going to a double-header with my parents and sister when I was a kid, and my Mom spent most of it knitting. And she liked baseball. When you are going to an "event" far from home - particularly if your car isn't parked right outside - there's nothing wrong with bringing "too much just in case" as long as it doesn't infringe on the people sitting by you. I don't necessarily NEED to bring a lot of stuff to a football game, but being told that you CAN'T is still unwelcome - and requires careful planning.

And this is why they are allowing bags,  they just need to be clear.   Not a problem.

As for having something else to do... ~   I go to the games to Watch the game..   :dunno:

Wear your coat or jacket  in...... take it off when you get to your seat,  put it back on later when it gets cold.   Pretty easy, really

True Gramz, but Tom Couglin had a warm coat on at Lambeau Field in Green Bay & he stilled looked cold to me & he could stand in front of heaters on the sidelines at least...Only teasing Gramz! 

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/Giants_Blog_Frostbite_or_no_Coughlin_vows_to_brave_Lambeau_cold_without_face_covering.html

Hey MAC, leave it to SW1 to ask the odd ball question here, but I really wanna know what did your mom knit at the game? Socks? a hat? or a table doily? Thanks for putting up with my foolishness my friend.  :thmup:

No worries MAC. I respect your privacy & I wasn't really expecting a response anyway. Besides, you might have been too young to remember too. It's cool. I'm fine with it either way. Knowing or not knowing...

Hey MAC, leave it to SW1 to ask the odd ball question here, but I really wanna know what did your mom knit at the game? Socks? a hat? or a table doily? Thanks for putting up with my foolishness my friend.  :thmup:

:) After 30+ years I can't say exactly, but she mostly made sweaters. Nothing related to the game I assure you. We were always getting called over to get sized up about something.

:) After 30+ years I can't say exactly, but she mostly made sweaters. Nothing related to the game I assure you. We were always getting called over to get sized up about something.

Yeah, I can relate to that. Not my mother, but my grandma, now deceased on my dad's side of the family. "Sit still SW1! I need to get the arm length right. Oh come on. It's not that horrible. Relax & it will all be over soon enough."  haha I remember those days quite well. 

And depending on your medical issues, that might be a bit uncomfortable.

Whoa...I never even thought of that one...Good point MAC...Are Security personnel gonna ask a fan about every pill or cream they are using? A touchy subject there. Will they pull you aside out of the line like TSA can do at the airport to inquire further? If you have diabetes & high blood pressure & a laundry list of medical needs, how does security screen you properly without violating your privacy & confidentiality?

I have a mixture of nurses, professors, & lawyers in my family. That's why I ask so many questions & care so deeply about an individual's civil rights & legal protections etc. 

Although, I will admit that someone bogged down with several ailments like high blood pressure & asthma is usually the last person intent on harming anyone. 

I would guess that a call ahead, weeks before attending the game, would alleviate many logistical & legal problems...Always good to avoid paralysis by over analysis. Point taken...

Sometimes, an intellectual, ivory tower education, makes one "an educated i-diot"; I realize that as well largely because I came from blue collar roots. I know both sides of the railroad tracks & I never forgot my humble beginnings/roots either...Tushay SW1...Tushay...

I agree for the most part with this, however I also believe that women should be afforded a little more privacy. There are certain items that female fans may or may not be carrying, that a female fan may not want broadcast on national TV. That is one rule that I believe MUST be added to any bans. Fans of the NFL must voice there concerns over. This is coming from a NFL male NFL fan.

For me personally the debate here shouldn't be so much about the logistics of bringing coats etc but the overall principal. I've never taken or needed to take a large bag to a sporting event but fail to see how clear plastic bags will really stop someone hell bent in causing trouble.

Blind acceptance of restrictions for "your safety" can ultimately be as dangerous as what they are meant to protect you from. Not saying the NFL is making a power play to be the next evil empire, again it's just the principal I'm debating.

For me personally the debate here shouldn't be so much about the logistics of bringing coats etc but the overall principal. I've never taken or needed to take a large bag to a sporting event but fail to see how clear plastic bags will really stop someone heck bent in causing trouble.

Blind acceptance of restrictions for "your safety" can ultimately be as dangerous as what they are meant to protect you from. Not saying the NFL is making a power play to be the next evil empire, again it's just the principal I'm debating.

Although I was being sarcastic earlier, I do think there are too many people in this country that would casually hand over their freedoms in order to be "safe". Like that family, I can't remember their names, that literally got chips implanted in them so that they could be found at all times. They did it under the pretense of safety. 

I'm sure that is only the beginning of things like that.

Although I was being sarcastic earlier, I do think there are too many people in this country that would casually hand over their freedoms in order to be "safe". Like that family, I can't remember their names, that literally got chips implanted in them so that they could be found at all times. They did it under the pretense of safety.

I'm sure that is only the beginning of things like that.

Somewhat ironically given our two countries' initial history I used to pride myself on being from a country where freedom of the individual was an almost sacred right.

Now I can be held without any charge and convicted sans a jury, yet everyone accepts this?

I know if I were able to go to a game, I would have to have a motorized wheelchair, due to the severe bone on bone arthritis in my knee, and the growing arthritis in my other. I would probably also have to have some medications with me as well. I don't need oxygen, but I would need my inhalers as well...esp if I have to do steps...So basically, there goes my clear bag...The chair is also going to have bags and attachments as well for storing stuff, would I have to remove them from my chair now with this new rule?...Plus a lot of chairs and scooters, also have baskets..do they count as well? And where would I put my chair? If I have medications and stuff in those bags...I can't leave the chair in an area so i can sit in my seat..I might not even have a chair to go back to after the game..There's no room in the aisles to accommodate handicapped fans. Would I have to buy tickets in a handicapped only area? (if there are any)..

Persons with severe disabilities are accommodated with parking, and ramps..but they also should be allowed exception to the one bag rule, due to their handicap..And, SW1, my friend, I have to disagree with you..You say its not fair to others, if handicapped or disabled people are allowed to bring in more than one bag. If you feel that way, it's akin to saying they shouldn't have special parking spaces, since its not fair to other drivers. And its also not fair that disabled people cannot do things "normal" people do, but it is life and you deal with that each and every day....There always needs to be allowances for the disabled..Most of the time we cannot help that we have these disabilities. We need these things to live and function somewhat normally, and if that includes an extra bag or two, it should be allowed, or its discrimination. I can't wait to see how many lawsuits happen, if they ask handicapped people to remove attached bags from their chairs in order to enter a stadium for an event.

I would rather get to the game very early, and have to wait longer in a line to have bags checked, than to have this new rule. I understand the concern for safety, but they should be checking every bag that comes in, but we should be allowed purses, hand bags..etc..Or, hire extra personnel, specifically to check bags before they get to the ticket guy..and place a sticker or something signifying that the bag was checked...Its not like the teams, or the NFL can't afford it...I can see no backpacks, but this small little clear bag rule is ridiculous.

I guess to me it doesn't matter, I more than likely won't be going to any games..too much of a hassle getting there, getting to my seat, etc...Its better for me to just stay home...

Are you freaking kidding me!

I would have been arrested shortly afterwards if someone did that to me. What nerve.

nope not kidding

last night we were talking about this new rule and wondering how long until we had to wear clear clothes to the game

be safer if everyone was naked  :eek:  :omg:  -omg-

I agree for the most part with this, however I also believe that women should be afforded a little more privacy. There are certain items that female fans may or may not be carrying, that a female fan may not want broadcast on national TV. That is one rule that I believe MUST be added to any bans. Fans of the NFL must voice there concerns over. This is coming from a NFL male NFL fan.

Reminds me of what my sister said to me when the TSA increased the intrusiveness of their body pat downs "Well, I sure am not wearing a skirt on a plane anymore!"

Thinking of that, I'm also noting that to get on an airplane, we are still allowed a carry on..........and it is NOT clear

I know if I were able to go to a game, I would have to have a motorized wheelchair, due to the severe bone on bone arthritis in my knee, and the growing arthritis in my other. I would probably also have to have some medications with me as well. I don't need oxygen, but I would need my inhalers as well...esp if I have to do steps...So basically, there goes my clear bag...The chair is also going to have bags and attachments as well for storing stuff, would I have to remove them from my chair now with this new rule?...Plus a lot of chairs and scooters, also have baskets..do they count as well? And where would I put my chair? If I have medications and stuff in those bags...I can't leave the chair in an area so i can sit in my seat..I might not even have a chair to go back to after the game..There's no room in the aisles to accommodate handicapped fans. Would I have to buy tickets in a handicapped only area? (if there are any)..

Persons with severe disabilities are accommodated with parking, and ramps..but they also should be allowed exception to the one bag rule, due to their handicap..And, SW1, my friend, I have to disagree with you..You say its not fair to others, if handicapped or disabled people are allowed to bring in more than one bag. If you feel that way, it's akin to saying they shouldn't have special parking spaces, since its not fair to other drivers. And its also not fair that disabled people cannot do things "normal" people do, but it is life and you deal with that each and every day....There always needs to be allowances for the disabled..Most of the time we cannot help that we have these disabilities. We need these things to live and function somewhat normally, and if that includes an extra bag or two, it should be allowed, or its discrimination. I can't wait to see how many lawsuits happen, if they ask handicapped people to remove attached bags from their chairs in order to enter a stadium for an event.

I would rather get to the game very early, and have to wait longer in a line to have bags checked, than to have this new rule. I understand the concern for safety, but they should be checking every bag that comes in, but we should be allowed purses, hand bags..etc..Or, hire extra personnel, specifically to check bags before they get to the ticket guy..and place a sticker or something signifying that the bag was checked...Its not like the teams, or the NFL can't afford it...I can see no backpacks, but this small little clear bag rule is ridiculous.

I guess to me it doesn't matter, I more than likely won't be going to any games..too much of a hassle getting there, getting to my seat, etc...Its better for me to just stay home...

I totally agree with you that exceptions should be made for those with medical needs and it does sound like this will be addressed:

If I have certain items that I need to bring into the stadium for medical reasons and they won’t fit in the clear bag, what do I do?

There will be a separate entrance to allow screening of these bags and medically necessary items.

http://www.nfl.com/allclear#

As for your questions regarding seating for those with disabilities, you may find some answers to your questions here:

http://www.lucasoilstadium.com/guests-with-disabilities.aspx

I also want to add that my heart goes out to you.  I can't imagine how difficult life must be with two bumb knees. 

This move is more profit-driven than anything.  If the clear bags were all about safety, why doesn't each team GIVE each season ticket holder a FREE clear bag and test how the whole process will work.  Colts gave out some bags to season ticket holders about 3 years ago but they were not clear and I guess they are no longer allowed under this policy.  Clear bags will have to be searched just like an unclear bag because people can just wrap whatever items they are trying to hide in clothes and place them in the clear bag.  Are the security people going to be instructed to let all people with clear bags simply walk into the stadium without being searched?  I don't think so!  I don't think a bunch of people walking around with clear bags will make me feel any safer in a stadium.  This is just an attempt to keep people from sneaking in drinks and snacks so they will have to buy the high-priced stadium food and drink. 

While I can't speak for anyone else, I never had my purse searched when I went to a game at LOS.  The security person did ask me to unzip my bag; but she never touched anything and just took a quick (one second or two) peek inside. 

My purse had numerous zippered compartments and given that it was a Vera Bradley, it had a bottom that can be removed.  I was amazed that there was no search to see what may be hiding in those compartments or under that removable bottom. 

So, I can understand why requesting a tote without any compartments makes sense as it would shorten the waiting time . . . if bags are actually inspected.  But, I don't understand the need for them to be clear.

I haven't seen these "team logo" bags online, but I'm hoping that the NFL sells them at next to nothing.   If not, I will be getting out my sewing machine and trying to find a way to securely sew straps long enough to go over my shoulder (instead of those stupid handles) onto my "gallon ziploc baggie". 

While I can't speak for anyone else, I never had my purse searched when I went to a game at LOS.  The security person did ask me to unzip my bag; but she never touched anything and just took a quick (one second or two) peek inside. 

My purse had numerous zippered compartments and given that it was a Vera Bradley, it had a bottom that can be removed.  I was amazed that there was no search to see what may be hiding in those compartments or under that removable bottom. 

So, I can understand why requesting a tote without any compartments makes sense as it would shorten the waiting time . . . if bags are actually inspected.  But, I don't understand the need for them to be clear.

I haven't seen these "team logo" bags online, but I'm hoping that the NFL sells them at next to nothing.   If not, I will be getting out my sewing machine and trying to find a way to securely sew straps long enough to go over my shoulder (instead of those stupid handles) onto my "gallon ziploc baggie". 

I think those clear bags will make it easier for thieves to size up what they want to take

I guess the summary here is that they wanted to establish two layers of security rather than the one they currently have

but I don't see why games need to be safer than airports

I think those clear bags will make it easier for thieves to size up what they want to take

I guess the summary here is that they wanted to establish two layers of security rather than the one they currently have

but I don't see why games need to be safer than airports

That's a good point! While wearing the clear backpack we use at the Nascar races I wish I had eyes in the back of my head sometimes. The scanners and camera stick out like a sore thumb, but we usually travel in a pretty large group so really not an issue. We got each others backside!    

nope not kidding

last night we were talking about this new rule and wondering how long until we had to wear clear clothes to the game

be safer if everyone was naked  :eek:  :omg:  -omg-

Sure hope not because that would be more than I would want to see. :woah:

Sure hope not because that would be more than I would want to see. :woah:

I will not go into the invasive 'searches' at Detroit Metro post 9/11.

I saw MAC mention he may have gotten arrested.....I was never so mad in my entire life....I almost got in some SERIOUS trouble...:(

I see no problem with it but that's cause I don't take anything but me into a sporting event and me personally I don't see why anyone would take a small child still in diapers or that is breast feeding to a game that's no place for a small child anyway

Wow this post really took off!

I think I'd like to come back to my fundamental objections in concise form:

• This is an inconvenience for a large number of people even if you aren't one of them- Packers fans, women with purses who don't particularly want the world to see their sanitary items etc.
  • This will make us less safe in general because thieves will know cars are much more likely to have valuables left in them (can't take them into the stadium) and break ins will increase.
  • This is a cash grab for more snack sales.
  • ST sales will decrease (even if only slightly) as less stuff to bring in = less comfortable = the comparative enjoyment of being at home on the couch is higher.
  • I have a fundamental anger at how scared this nation is running from terrorism. I mean especially in Indianapolis which has to be the least likely terrorist target in the US.
  • If a terrorist wanted to hurt people, they could just as easily do something while people are trying to get into the stadium (while thousands of people are trying to get through the North gate) as they could inside the stadium.
  • Any bags big enough to get Boston Marathon style bombs inside are already checked on the way in.

I'll still be there, and honestly it won't inconvenience me personally all that much, however it is kind of stupid.