Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Non-clear bags to be banned from games?

englishcoltsfan

What do we all (ticket holders) think of this?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/nfl-bag-policy-definitely-ruffle-feathers-especially-among-134351237.html

This seems crazy if true: For those too lazy to read the article, the NFL is bringing in a new bag policy which means we will no longer be able to take any bags into games beyond the size of clutch bags for women and any bags men take in must be clear.

This seems like total overkill to me. I like to have a backpack to keep my hoodie/warm clothes in so they aren't touching the nasty ground in the stadium on days when it's cold outside/warm inside. Also my wife is going to be pretty mad about not being able to take her purse into the game.

Serious question: Have any of you ever felt unsafe at an NFL game? I know I certainly haven't and the paranoia in this country about safety is getting insane.

I spoke with some Packers fans about it and they are pretty mad - you need to bring a kit of supplies with you to Lambeau in the winter and a small clear bag just doesn't cut it.

Here's another link to the official policy:

http://www.nfl.com/allclear

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do we all (ticket holders) think of this?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/nfl-bag-policy-definitely-ruffle-feathers-especially-among-134351237.html

This seems crazy if true: For those too lazy to read the article, the NFL is bringing in a new bag policy which means we will no longer be able to take any bags into games beyond the size of clutch bags for women and any bags men take in must be clear.

This seems like total overkill to me. I like to have a backpack to keep my hoodie/warm clothes in so they aren't touching the nasty ground in the stadium on days when it's cold outside/warm inside. Also my wife is going to be pretty mad about not being able to take her purse into the game.

Serious question: Have any of you ever felt unsafe at an NFL game? I know I certainly haven't and the paranoia in this country about safety is getting insane.

I spoke with some Packers fans about it and they are pretty mad - you need to bring a kit of supplies with you to Lambeau in the winter and a small clear bag just doesn't cut it.

Here's another link to the official policy:

http://www.nfl.com/allclear

I understand the thought process on making such rules. I for one have never felt unsafe at a game, but I guess this is one of those instances when it's better to be safe than sorry. It will be aggravating for fans, but fan safety is important

If you keep your hoodie in a backpack, just put it in a tote bag now or something.

It's a crazy world out here that's why they're making these rules. I'd hate for something to happen to a forum member at a game so I understand these rules. Safety first

I admire what the NFL is doing. They are taking action as a prevention rather than retaliation. I'm sure there are some events that have led up to this but nothing major. I know this may be a huge inconvenience to many, but overall I think it will do much more good. I can't speak for ever feeling safe/unsafe at LOS as I've never been there, but being from NJ I've been to Lincolon fianancial and medowlands, this only will make my experiences there a bit better haha

Um they check bags before you go in, what's the point of having a clear bag again? How about instead of changing the rules on bags, you put a dog at the entrance gate to smell for contraband.

And then all it takes is a fan to be allergic to dogs, have an allergic reaction then BOOM!! Lawsuit on your hands

Not sure why it can't be decided by each team. 

Probably because the NFL doesn't want a Giant Lawsuit if a team doesn't want to follow what the NFL is recommending. I don't have a problem with it at all. Better to be safe than sorry in my opinion. :thmup: 

And then all it takes is a fan to be allergic to dogs, have an allergic reaction then BOOM!! Lawsuit on your hands

But why do you need a clear bag again? They check bags when you walk through the gate. I'm sure no one can hide a pressure cooker successfully in that case. Also how clear is a bag if its stuffed with a sweatshirt or jerseys from the pro shop?

It seems to me they're *trying* the add extra security even when it lacks logic or a point.

Um they check bags before you go in, what's the point of having a clear bag again? How about instead of changing the rules on bags, you put a dog at the entrance gate to smell for contraband.

My avatar needs a job....:)

To topic:  We are lucky this has not happened before now....and may in time be lucky that it did!!  We need to continue to be vigilant where there are huge spectator events....this is still a crazy mixed up world we live in....

My avatar needs a job....:)

To topic: We are lucky this has not happened before now....and may in time be lucky that it did!! We need to continue to be vigilant where there are huge spectator events....this is still a crazy mixed up world we live in....

I understand that but I feel that clear bags will not enhance security at all since bags are a checked. What's the point once bags are checked? Is it for extra security or to make people *feel* safer?

Just think, now you get to buy your official clear bag with your favorite team logo.

Can you get your NFL clear bag monogramed to list a colorful objection to this new league policy? Something like this: First Bounty Gate & now this...Bang Up Job Mr. Commissioner! My dog & I brought you a "special" delivery from home. Care to guess what that gift is Mr. Goodell?"

This is clearly a transparent attempt at sacking potential dangers in stadiums. Clear.

Yes, that is true, but honestly this is an overreaction to 911. Can people smuggle in weapons & later become intoxicated & do something foolish? Sure. This is clearly what security is trying to avoid, but any law enforcement officer will tell you that no location is 100% secure & that all security is a public illusion. Like Brent said, bomb sniffing dogs is what you need to have & make multiple rounds across the stadium & field. 

Trust me, drunk fans are low on the totem pole of concerns. Rather focus on your hiring & vetting practices of employees when it comes to legitimate terrorist threats. The power failure in New Orleans at the SB demonstrates what real terrorists would do: Cut stadium power, contaminate food or water supplies, or god forbid set off an explosive. Clear bags are a joke. They stop no criminal activity IMO. 

Forget it, the only way to be truly safe is to allow the government to chip our brains so they can access our thoughts. It's for security, people. THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

LOL Vance! An excellent joke BTW! "Women & Children First"...A very good Van Halen Album BTW, but I digress.  ;)  :thmup:

Forget it, the only way to be truly safe is to allow the government to chip our brains so they can access our thoughts. It's for security, people. THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

LOL Vance! An excellent joke BTW! "Women & Children First"...A very good Van Halen Album BTW, but I digress. ;) :thmup:

The TSA thinks of women and childern first, while letting men in their mid twenties too thirties go ignored. Lol

I personally do not like it. Granted I never carry a bag in, what happens if you have a family and you are taking your wife and young kid who's still in diapers to the game as some people do? You can't carry a diaper bag now. I think it's just another example of people being willing to agree to limits on their freedoms in the name of security.

I understand that NFL rules must be followed in every football stadium & fans must follow the rules in order to see the games & for safety, but if these policies get too ridiculous fans will just stay home & watch the games on Satellite to avoid the hassle all together. 

"I spoke with some Packers fans about it and they are pretty mad - you need to bring a kit of supplies with you to Lambeau in the winter and a small clear bag just doesn't cut it."--englishcoltsfan.

Interesting...If a Packer fan gets severe frostbite in December, can they sue Roger Goodell for punitive & physical damages?

Does anyone remember NY Giants HC Tom Coughlin's red face at Lambeau Field in 2007?  haha

What is the policy when you buy things at the stadium, like sweatshirts, t-shirts, memorabilia ..etc...Are they going to provide bags for people who buy things..I for one wouldn't buy anything there at the stadium, if I have to hold it on my lap..no way I am paying those prices, to have my stuff ruined before I even got to wear or use it..They are going to lose a lot of revenue if people don't have a place to put their purchases...

I think its just not right myself..

Now this doesn't really apply to domed stadiums, but what if it rains or snows..how are people going to warm up, or cover up without being able to store stuff to carry it into the stadium, like blankets, rain gear..etc..And you can't bring in umbrellas anymore...

I'm just going to lay back, and pay direct TV to watch any game I want..Its not worth going to games anymore..

The TSA thinks of women and childern first, while letting men in their mid twenties too thirties go ignored. Lol

I know that I will take some heat for saying this, but I don't care...Why, to highlight your point Joker, is everything geared toward the safety of small children in this country & adults don't really matter? I agree 100%

I know that I will take some heat for saying this, but I don't care...Why, to highlight your point Joker, is everything geared toward the safety of small children in this country & adults don't really matter? I agree 100%

I think what he's saying is that TSA seems to target women and children during their intrusive pat-downs more than men

This thread has a lot of veiled frustrations in sometimes almost coded messages of anger in order to disguise such emotions in order to conform to forum rules.

I am watching you all.......and watching this thread. :yes:  :yes:  :yes:

What is the policy when you buy things at the stadium, like sweatshirts, t-shirts, memorabilia ..etc...Are they going to provide bags for people who buy things..I for one wouldn't buy anything there at the stadium, if I have to hold it on my lap..no way I am paying those prices, to have my stuff ruined before I even got to wear or use it..They are going to lose a lot of revenue if people don't have a place to put their purchases...

I think its just not right myself..

Now this doesn't really apply to domed stadiums, but what if it rains or snows..how are people going to warm up, or cover up without being able to store stuff to carry it into the stadium, like blankets, rain gear..etc..And you can't bring in umbrellas anymore...

I'm just going to lay back, and pay direct TV to watch any game I want..Its not worth going to games anymore..

I think it's worse for indoor stadiums in a cold weather climate.  When I go to Colts games in the winter, I'm all bundled up but when I get into the stadium I start shedding layers.  I would bring a backpack and store my clothes in it. 

It's more of a revenue thing if you ask me.  Now they will sell high priced clear bags with logos on them. 

I think what he's saying is that TSA seems to target women and children during their intrusive pat-downs more than men

I, of course, cannot read Joker's mind & I can't ascertain his true intent. I will admit that. Yes, SW1 could indeed be wrong in interpreting what Joker truly meant. However, safety of "women & children  first" does have a long maritime history meaning that certain individuals are protected 1st before others. Stadium chaos & disaster I would suspect is no different csmopar with all due respect. Whether this guideline gets followed to the letter I doubt, but precedence has been established in history. That is true.

http://www.history.com/news/women-and-children-first-on-sinking-ships-its-every-man-for-himself

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_and_children_first

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/women-and-children-first.html

This thread has a lot of veiled frustrations in sometimes almost coded messages of anger in order to disguise such emotions in order to conform to forum rules.

I am watching you all.......and watching this thread. :yes:  :yes:  :yes:

Hey Jules, what time with the FBI be knockin' on my doorstep? Are they hungry? Do they like pork chops & Arnold Palmer lemonade & ice tea? :lol:  :funny:  lmao