Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade Details: Reportedly the Colts get a.......

NewColtsFan

Most football experts agree that Grigson SCREWED UP on this Shipley deal.

The worst thing is it is a triple screw-up....

1. We lose a promising YOUNG center for cheap (7th)

2. We now have to keep the lesser-ability, more expensive, older Satele.

3. We may have to keep the incompetent McGlynn as backup insurance for our center position.

As many in the media are saying..."dumb, dumb, dumb".

All we had to do was keep Shipley and ditch Satele before June 1...much better O-Line situation, much better team.

What "experts"? The trade is so minor I really haven't heard anyone of note comment on it.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IF AQS were to start and play all season ...     I can see a 4 or 5 being very realistic...    

That is IF he achieves the max of his opportunity and potential        If not then a 7 would be lovely.   But I will be honest, I am disappointed.    I liked AQ, and I felt he was better than SS.     Oh well.

So what ....     He was our best C last season, Burk is retiring...    maybe Indy can get lucky with a "cond pick' ???

I was about to say. No team is crazy enough to trade a 4th round pick, conditional or not,  for a backup center.

.... 4TH ROUND DRAFT PICK!!    

The story does not say what the conditions are....  only that Shipley has to pass a physical.    The story notes that the Ravens OL coach was the Steelers OL coach when they drafted Shipley out of college.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Ravens-Trade-For-Center-AQ-Shipley/09c21090-d268-4c4d-a2b4-deebe494cb84

Do you like the trade NOW?!?

Is Grigson off your S*** List?!?

Do you know how good a deal this is for the Colts?

Do you think Ozzie Newsome got the best of Grigson as I read one poster say?

NOTE to Moderators:   I deliberately put this out as a separate thread.    I thought it would get completely lost inside the monster thread about the trade.    Thought it deserved it's own thread.

A #4 would be nice (and yes I understand the value of getting the 4th rounder back).  But if it's a #7, I'd still rather have the best option available protecting Luck this year -- let them battle it out in training camp and may the best man win.  If Satele or Holmes had beat him out in training camp, then great.  A little insurance against losing one of them to injury or Holmes not being ready to step in would be nice to have.

I read a lot of the trade thread and nobody was claiming he was an anchor or Pro Bowler, or that Grigson was on anybody's S-list.. just that he sure played well for us in spot duty and graded out well by PFF (who closely analyzes every play).   Getting Luck more protection this year is huge and the more competition for spots the better (somebody unexpected may emerge).

Highly doubt we would get a 4th round pick for Shipley, he was good last year more often then not but that was through 5 starts, we probably wont get any higher then a 5th and the 5th being conditional

What "experts"? The trade is so minor I really haven't heard anyone of note comment on it.

And they wont because Shipley has only started 5 games in his career so why would they mention a trade like this?, But more to the real point, That being Shipley played better then Satele did at any time last year pre injury or post injury and on top of that Shipley got injured as well which seems to have gone unsaid looking back at this thread, Was Shipley anything special? No, But how many O Linemen are really talked about as being special, Not many, Nobody talks about O Lineman unless they darn near get there QB killed...and Satele was one of those quite a bit last year

Everyone's argument for keeping Shipley over Satelle is based on who is a better starter.  Holmes will be the starter.  Grigson's decision was who is more beneficial as Holmes backup.  Maybe Grigson thinks Satelle can teach Holmes more.  Or maybe Satelle is a better blocker on special teams.  

With the trade of A.Q. Shipley earlier in the week, there are valuable reps to be had at the center position and the leadership of Holmes was evident early on Friday.

"The guy is brilliant, very sharp, very bright, makes all the calls," Pagano said of the USC center.

"He picked up (things fast). It seems like he's been here months the way he operated out here. He had that aura about him. He's a very, very confident kid. I was very impressed with Khaled."

My bad wrong thread meant to put this in the rookie camp thread

And they wont because Shipley has only started 5 games in his career so why would they mention a trade like this?, But more to the real point, That being Shipley played better then Satele did at any time last year pre injury or post injury and on top of that Shipley got injured as well which seems to have gone unsaid looking back at this thread, Was Shipley anything special? No, But how many O Linemen are really talked about as being special, Not many, Nobody talks about O Lineman unless they darn near get there QB killed...and Satele was one of those quite a bit last year

I'm glad u could get that off your chest

lmao

If your gunna dish it out, better make sure you can take it.

take it? take what? all you did was repeat everything i said back to me except one word. please dont act like you scored one on me there.... my post wasnt even a fail is the funny part lol think of some better material... :thmup:

take it? take what? all you did was repeat everything i said back to me except one word. please dont act like you scored one on me there.... my post wasnt even a fail is the funny part lol think of some better material... :thmup:

haha

I am not sure  if this has been covered, but what is the guarantee that Satele still won't be cut??  They are going to keep probably the best 7 lineman.   McGlynn, although he sucks, can play guard or center.  So if Holmes shows a lot, Grigson may be thinking that McGlynn and Holmes can handle center at the same level or better than what Satele and Shipley were doing.

At the end of the day, Holmes is going to be our starting center at some point.  We  could get nothing for Satele.   Shipley would have been a decent backup.  So why not get something for him?

I think its going to be (In no particular order)

1.Castonzo-Tackle

2.Reitz-Guard

3.Holmes-Center/Guard

4.Thomas-Guard

5.Mcglynn-Guard/Center

6.Satele-Center/Guard

7.Cherilus-Tackle

8.Thornton-Guard

9.Linkenbach-Tackle/Guard

10.Cleary-Tackle