Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

It Has Happened, Folks... Bob Sanders To Ir. Wow! (Merge)

ColtsLegacy

http://boltbeat.com/2011/09/28/bob-sanders-to-ir-chargers-sign-tommie-harris-wow/

The Bob Sanders experiment is ALREADY over in San Diego. He was put on the IR today.

I don’t know why I am surprised by Sanders going onto IR, but I am! Maybe it is because I have no clue how he got injured in the game against the Patriots and he all of a sudden showed up on the injury report. This is how his career has been and AJ Smith better have been prepared to go into the season with backup plans.

Now we will see if Steve Gregory or Darrell Stuckey will step up. Gregory will probably continue to take the starting reps. We just signed Paul Oliver for depth at the position as well.

To fill Sanders’ spot on the roster the Chargers signed veteran defensive lineman Tommie Harris. Harris is a 3 time Pro-Bowl defensive tackle. He will help out with the depth at our injury filled defensive line.

Unbelievable.

I don't see how Tommie Harris fits the Chargers defense. Is he going to play five-tech end? Do they play four down linemen in nickel packages? Interesting...

THIS was the only thing thing that comes as a surprise. I agree...Harris really doesn't seem like a fit for their defense.

Perhaps lost amidst the insanity over at West 56th....Bob Sanders was placed on IR today. So much for "it was the system he played in" myth...Dude was my favorite player, but let's face it. It was his style of play, not the Colts system that did him in (not that the Colts helped matters).

I think this is it for Bob. Which is sad...I am glad for his role in SB 41, and hope he becomes a DB coach or similar. Great attitude and work ethic, his body just betrayed him

Sad for Sanders.

I was always pulling for the guy to put it together and stay healthy. I admit that I didn't want to see it happen with the Chargers, so in a way I am relieved that the Colts' releasing of him has proven to be the right move. Sad for Sanders, though. He was a warrior!

There is 1-gap DT play in a 3-4, not all teams use it. So, he will still be shooting gaps as a 1-gap DT.

This is a good point. Ron Rivera made a lot of tweaks to that defense when he was there, and Rivera was a 1-gap coordinator with the Bears, where he coached Tommie Harris. It wouldn't surprise me that they'd have something for him. I just think they'd prefer a five-tech lineman who can get more than five or six snaps on defense.

This is a good point. Ron Rivera made a lot of tweaks to that defense when he was there, and Rivera was a 1-gap coordinator with the Bears, where he coached Tommie Harris. It wouldn't surprise me that they'd have something for him. I just think they'd prefer a five-tech lineman who can get more than five or six snaps on defense.

Let us not forget, they drafted a 3-technique guy in Corey Liuget. Maybe they feel they have ample 5-tech guys, not enough 3-tech guys who can contribute in the rotation for the 3-tech assignments. I have a feeling Tommie Harris will rotate with Liuget for the same spot.

his body just betrayed him

Honestly, while I agree with everything else you said, I disagree with this last part. He could have listened to coaches and altered his play style enough to be able to have a better chance of staying healthy. He always said "I only know one way to play"...personally I think that's a load. He felt he could be the best safety in the league and would accept nothing less so he kept pushing his body. He still could have been a very good safety and had a better chance of staying healthy if he'd have just learned to play smarter.

Honestly, while I agree with everything else you said, I disagree with this last part. He could have listened to coaches and altered his play style enough to be able to have a better chance of staying healthy. He always said "I only know one way to play"...personally I think that's a load. He felt he could be the best safety in the league and would accept nothing less so he kept pushing his body. He still could have been a very good safety and had a better chance of staying healthy if he'd have just learned to play smarter.

I agree. I question the value of "big hits". The idea is to prevent the other team from gaining yardage. You should get the job done while inflicting as little damage to your own body as possible. Anything more is just a macho display. I understand the enthusiasm for the punishing hits from fans - same reason people like fighting in hockey - but it has next to nothing to do with getting the other team to punt the ball back to you.It's hardly worth ruining your career and probably living in pain for the rest of your life.

I agree. I question the value of "big hits". The idea is to prevent the other team from gaining yardage. You should get the job done while inflicting as little damage to your own body as possible. Anything more is just a macho display. I understand the enthusiasm for the punishing hits from fans - same reason people like fighting in hockey - but it has next to nothing to do with getting the other team to punt the ball back to you.It's hardly worth ruining your career and probably living in pain for the rest of your life.

Exactly....and even just from a football perspective and not from a player safety perspective, I also don't think the whole "big hit" thing is worth the lost yardage on those occasions when the ball carrier simply spins or bounces off the defender. Wrap the guy up and make a solid tackle. The more you try to go for that fumble, the more likely the ball carrier has a chance to get away from you. If you're the first guy there, make the tackle. If you're the second guy there and the momentum has been slowed or stopped, THEN go for the fumble.

wow, i stand corrected. i was preaching to keep him and many of you said ditch him. time to eat a little crow. all I can say again is wow!

I was trying to remember who it was that kept saying letting him go was a mistake....it was YOU! Seriously though, I give you a lot of credit for beating someone else to the punch and pointing it out yourself. A lot of people would simply hope no one remembered. I'll +1 ya for that. :)

sad, I really thought he can stay healthy this time. OOps.

Colts made the best decision of the year by cutting him.

Hard to believe such a strong, fast and muscular dude can be so soft like a polly-o cheese.

More like so hard that he snaps when you touch him.

Who gets knocked out with torn biceps. TWICE. I'd never even heard of that injury before. You tear a hamstring when your thighs are muscle bound and you sprint a lot (IE: Jose Reyes of the Mets). His arms are muscle bound all right, but what the heck was he doing that caused them to tear? Doing a celebratory fist pump too enthusiastically perhaps?

Colts made the best decision of the year by cutting him.

Starting with a great draft, I'm pleased with most Colts personnel decisions this offseason which have been spot-on except for re-signing Bullitt. Everyone was concerned about the loss of Clint Session.....what a distant memory he is. Our LB group is playing phenomenal ball and at a fraction of what JAX paid for Session. D. Brown busted down to 3rd string, Mike Hart finally released, Hayden released, etc. Bob was just the first to go & rightfully so given his Colts history. Sorry to see things end this way for him but most folks saw this coming.