Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bjorn Werner first round pick (merge)

GoColts8818

I think there are going to be some situations in games where we slide Werner in at DT putting pressure on the inside of the pocket, and have guys like Sidbury or Mcnary rushing off theend with Mathis coming off the other side. There's several diverse ways you can use Werner. I don't think Walden is always going to come of the field on passing downs either. He rushes the passer well enough to remain on the field at times. We're going to rotate different pass rushers in to create solid match ups we can take advantage of.

I've been trying to say this...people act like he can only play OLB, he can play DT and End too, they will move him all over and he is only gonna get stronger as his career goes on...

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been trying to say this...people act like he can only play OLB, he can play DT and End too, they will move him all over and he is only gonna get stronger as his career goes on...

If people would go and watch more of his film on youtube a bit more closely, you will find Florida State using him in this exact manner. There are times where they moved him inside and had somebody else rushing off the edge. Having him do that with the Colts would be nothing new.

I think Werner will have double digit sacks his 1st year we play vs some really bad O-lines this year. 1 vs Oak,2 vs Mia,3 vs Jags,2 vs Titans,2 vs Rams,1 vsTexans,1 vs Cards,2 vs Chargers, 1 vs Peyton. Werner rookie Stats 60 tackles 15 sacks,8 pass deflections,2 int's, 18tfl, DROY.

That is patently untrue. Francois has never been considered a penetrating DE. He's is a stand your ground DE, just because he isn't quite as big as most of our other DE's, doesn't mean he's a penetrator. This was his draft profile...

Nothing about that suggests he's a one gap penetrating DE and nothing about his play the last few yrs. says it either. He's a stout 2 gap DE.

Nothing about that says he is a run stuffer, Why I came to that conclusion has nothing to do with size but he flashes speed (watch a couple of the games he started last year, the speed is there, He will likely move inside at NT on pass rushing downs in my opinion

Nothing about that says he is a run stuffer, Why I came to that conclusion has nothing to do with size but he flashes speed (watch a couple of the games he started last year, the speed is there, He will likely move inside at NT on pass rushing downs in my opinion

He may play NT on pass rushing downs, but I highly doubt it. I think this says more run stuffer than penetrator...

Impressive in his ability to stand his man up and discard him to either side. … Rarely gets moved when facing a one-on-one block. … Moves fluidly down the line, able to eat up a wide running lane with his length.

He is the perfect 2 gap 3-4 DE. Everything I've ever seen written about him says he doesn't offer much in pass rushing but is a great run stuffer. That's right in line with what Pagano has been preaching since he got hired here. He wants run stuffers in his 3-4 alignments.

He may play NT on pass rushing downs, but I highly doubt it. I think this says more run stuffer than penetrator...

He is the perfect 2 gap 3-4 DE. Everything I've ever seen written about him says he doesn't offer much in pass rushing but is a great run stuffer. That's right in line with what Pagano has been preaching since he got hired here. He want run stuffers in his 3-4 alignments.

I understand the whole reading whats wrote thing and I am not claiming whats going to happen obviously because I have no idea but to me when I watch him on Rewind he shows speed (slow getting off the snap however, consistently slow)

I understand the whole reading whats wrote thing and I am not claiming whats going to happen obviously because I have no idea but to me when I watch him on Rewind he shows speed (slow getting off the snap however, consistently slow)

This is the original quote of your's, I responded too...

Francois (who is more a penetrator and speed guy then he is a hold your ground run stuffer)

I'm just saying this is not the case.

Jimbo fisher on Werner:

"I'm going to tell you this, you don't have enough time to talk about all the good things about the guy. He's just the ultimate team player. He can rush the passer. He can play the run. The most amazing stat I tell folks about him, he led the ACC in pass breakups (13). Not only can he sack (the quarterback) but he's so instinctive and can trigger when a quarterback is going to throw. He will get in the lane, bat balls."

"The other thing that you don't know about him is that he's athletic. He can stand-up. He has very good ball skills. He's very fluid through his hips. He's a very natural football player, a very instinctive football player and a natural leader. He affected the guys on our team with his leadership every day."

On the best thing about Werner's leadership:

"He understood how to work. He understood what excellence was and he did not have a problem telling guys around him when they did not play to the level they should, or were doing things that were detrimental to the team. He did not have a problem speaking out. He can do it and the kids respected it and never resented it one bit because he lived the standard in which he preached."

On one negative about Werner:

"It's hard. I know as a coach you say that. I never coached a kid who has apologized to you when he made a mistake. If (Werner) made a mistake and you got on him about that, he would say, 'Coach I'm sorry. It won't happen again.' I can't sit here and give you any (negatives). Is he a 4.5 (40-yard dash) guy? No. But he plays much faster than he times. I don't have negatives on him. That's not a coaching thing. When you coach him, he's just a pleasure to be around."

He's not going to say anything negative on the Dan Dakich show (which is here in Indy), There are certainly a lot of cons with this guy too, just look at the draft blogs and scout commentary.  I saw a lot of his negatives on film, they ARE there, he has a good motor, kkkkkk... i keep hearing that, good thing to have.   There's just not a lot of projectability development characteristics.  He is what he is and they say he can't grow more.

He's not going to say anything negative on the Dan Dakich show (which is here in Indy), There are certainly a lot of cons with this guy too, just look at the draft blogs and scout commentary.  I saw a lot of his negatives on film, they ARE there, he has a good motor, kkkkkk... i keep hearing that, good thing to have.   There's just not a lot of projectability development characteristics.  He is what he is and they say he can't grow more.

No offense....but where do you come up with this stuff?

I am definitely not psyched about this pick ... didn't we already try the "turn a 4/3 DE into a OLB" experiment with Freeney without great success??? Just don't see trying it again with all the players that were still available and I am guessing at least a couple of offers to trade back. Seeing New England rake in the draft picks a few picks later did not help matters any either.

If OLB was such a pressing need that we had to take Werner in the 1st than we should have further addressed it in Free Agency.

I know Grigson and Pagano are saying this is "their guy" so hopefully I am wrong and Werner is a OLB Beast; but as of right now my faith in Grigson is not quite as high as it was. He needs to hit the rest of this draft out of the park or I think I will question his judgement a little more than I have up until now.

There's a reason you're not making the picks, friend. Leave it to the professionals

There's a reason you're not making the picks, friend. Leave it to the professionals

You are right never question authority ... and the person who has a job is always qualified ... GM and Coaches never make mistakes ... and no one not currently holding a GM position could do the job better than those already in those positions.You just keep telling yourself that.  i promise you there are people out there who would be classified as fans who could choose draft picks with a success rate as high as many current GMs.  I will try to be more of a sheep in the future.

I think Werner will have double digit sacks his 1st year we play vs some really bad O-lines this year. 1 vs Oak,2 vs Mia,3 vs Jags,2 vs Titans,2 vs Rams,1 vsTexans,1 vs Cards,2 vs Chargers, 1 vs Peyton. Werner rookie Stats 60 tackles 15 sacks,8 pass deflections,2 int's, 18tfl, DROY.

Maybe you were thinking of J.J. Watt, kind of like a day-dream.

NFL.com, ESPN.com, BleacherReport.com, etc, etc, etc.

I've learned to resist the urge to read that site anymore. The amount of *ic posts/information on there is ridiculous. I recommend you ignore BR as much as possible lol.

Call me crazy, but his size speed and numbers compare real well to aldon smith

I have an opinion on that cause I follow the 9'ers. I think Werner can get off his own shot, most of last year I would have absolutely said the same thing about Aldon. Than J.Smith went out with an injury which allowed tackles to jump out on Aldon immediately without having to worry about the guard to their right getting plowed into the QB. Aldon started to look way average. Werner dealt with double teams throughout all the last 2 seasons and he still made his. I like that more than someone who has to rely on the best 5 tech DE in the game, or maybe 2nd it's between Smith and Watt, to make their impact.

Even if I wasn't a colts fan I still want him to do exceptionally well so I can throw it in the face of my fellow Browns fans. I've been yelling for months this was the kid we need but everyone on the Cleveland boards were just devastated when Detroit took Ansah. Ansah couldn't shake a coors light rocky mountain west OL off him. I don't like defensive football players that routinely allow offensive lineman to lift their pads up, no matter how fast they are.  Werner ain't like that.

Even if I wasn't a colts fan I still want him to do exceptionally well so I can throw it in the face of my fellow Browns fans. I've been yelling for months this was the kid we need but everyone on the Cleveland boards were just devastated when Detroit took Ansah. Ansah couldn't shake a coors light rocky mountain west OL off him. I don't like defensive football players that routinely allow offensive lineman to lift their pads up, no matter how fast they are. Werner ain't like that.

Werner is a bull in a china shop! But with speed! Love the dude! Very very excited to see him develope. As he adds pass moves he will be dangerous. I love how he tackles with intent to harm. Lol, slams them into the ground.

The tape shows he's awesome. He didn't have a very good combine so he plummeted from a Top 5 projection to our pick. I'll put much more stock in gameplay than I do the combine. 

Very happy with this pick. 

Agreed!

Directly after the college season Bjorn was projected as a high 1st, then after a so-so combine he slipped. 

Regardless, I think his potential is off the charts with much of it remaining untapped.  It also doesn't hurt that he was regarded by many as the best player on a defense loaded with talent.  We're not talking Margus Hunt at SMU here.  I only say that because more than a few people were ok with drafting him at 24. 

BPA at a position of need, great cynergy if you ask me.

I've said it before, no idea who this guy is. I watched a few highlights on YouTube after we drafted him but highlights are exactly that: highlights. They just give you a taste of what the person can do when they're playing at their best

Only draft pick of ours I actually know was Mr. Irrelevant. So I'm looking forward to seeing all the others in action. This draft was definitely something good

I do have to say I like the fact that Grigson and Pagano picked a guy based on what he did in his college career and what they saw on tape.  I would much rather a GM and coach trust that than over weigh the impact of the combine which is what caused Werner to drop.  Werner could have just had a bad day or just not preformed his best under a tone of pressure.  That happens.  Like I said before if Grigson, Pagano, and Mayock like him that's good enough for me. 

Didn't do well at the combine but bats passes down.  Looks like the Colts are looking for their own JJ Watt.

He was born in Germany. Luck lived in Germany. I'm sensing an instant training camp roommate connection. Plus, they can tell each other dirty jokes in another language. Great for airport layovers IMO.  ;)

Who?

The guy on 1st base? Abbot & Costello Comedy joke. Seriously though. I have no idea who this kid is...Guess I will find out what he's made of as the season progresses. 

We drafted a dude named Bjorn?

Is this tennis?

Is this an ABBA reunion?

Sounds like a Star Trek alien Borg to me. Is Captain Picard in the House? Holler... haha Just Kidding! Does he sleep in a cube too? 

borg_cube.png

Borg_aboard_Enterprise_(NX-01).jpg

He reminds me of Duane Bickett...he didn't have blazing speed in the 40 either but was a darned good 3-4 olb. Looking toward to seeing him get after it!

I heard someone else compare him to Bickett on draft night.  I always think Bickett was underrated.  Really really good player on a lot of bad teams so if the guys could turn out to be as good as Bickett was I think that's good news for us. 

no mathis first. hes waited 11 years for that honor haha

Heck Jerry Hughes could be brought back for that game and get the first sack on Manning for all I care I just want the Colts to win it and frankly sacking Manning will probably help us do it so I hope all the Colts on defense get a turn at it :).

I've learned to resist the urge to read that site anymore. The amount of *ic posts/information on there is ridiculous. I recommend you ignore BR as much as possible lol.

I am amazed that CNN took the bait on that one, I agree with you for the most part.  Some useful stuff, mostly not.