Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bjorn Werner first round pick (merge)

GoColts8818

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always give every Colt a chance, but I've said all along and I truly believe it...that Werner isn't a good scheme fit for us. Like I already said, I hope he proves me wrong, but I'm not counting on it.

Do u think they would draft him in the 1st round if he didn't fit our defensive scheme? Grigs and Pagano know more about defense and this team. Have faith. Welcome to the Colts Germanator!!!!!

Do u think they would draft him in the 1st round if he didn't fit our defensive scheme? Grigs and Pagano know more about defense and this team. Have faith. Welcome to the Colts Germanator!!!!!

I think any coach worth anything always thinks they can make any player fit. That don't mean that it will always work out. I'll root for him like I would any player on the team, but it don't change the fact that IMO we could have went in a different direction with either a different player or what I would have preferred...trading down and getting an extra pick or 2.

I'm starting to think Werner and Walden will start to stop the run and then replace Walden with Mathis on passing downs. Everyone knows Mathis isn't the best run stopper, but that's something Walden and Werner excel at.

I trust that Pagano knows how to pick a 3-4 OLB.  Guy is one of the finest defensive minds in the NFL.  

I think he's got a good chance of starting over Walden in week 1.  If not then he likely is starting over Walden by the end of the season.  

Can we just call Doc Brown and try and fix it that way?

Honestly, why would Walden re-structure? I'm sure they brought him in telling him he was going to be the starter, and the man at the position, and whatnot, and if we're not going to hold up that end of the bargain, why should he help us out of the pile of crap we jumped into?

He's getting paid like he never would have otherwise, and now he doesn't have to do as much to earn that penny, now.

I mean, think about it. Would you restructure if you felt bait-and-switched that way?

If he doesn't perform, yes. Otherwise it's not bait and switch, it's cut and switch and he gets nothing. And if we drop him, I doubt anyone will pick him up for as much as we offered.

yeah, i don't see this nickname sticking with him.. although i respect the pun, on the second look it sounds like the terminator of germs..  :)

If I'm honest I'm unsure what to make of the pick, When I first woke up and looked who we had taken I felt bit deflated,I know he was rated pre-combine, but as with all draftees stock goes up and down and he'd gone down on many people's boards after the combine (the inverse to Ansah I guess). That and I favored a G (after trading back) to complete our O line overhaul. 

However in the cold light of my post cup of coffee musing, I'm feeling more positive about the pick. His tape does look quite good, and I have to trust the Front Office's evaluation is going to be a heck of lot better than the majority of posters/talking heads. They've worked the guy out, studied the tape in depth etc. They did also seem genuinely stoked that he had dropped to us at 24. My major concern is going to be that he's a 4-3 DE playing 3-4 OLB but as people have pointed out we don't play a straight 3-4 and looking at his combine times he can't be accused or relying on raw speed for his pass rush success. 

Overall gut feel is that it prove to be a solid pick at the least, but maybe not JJ Watt spectacular say. 

Pretty much my feelings as well. I went to bed fairly disappointed, but took a new look at things, i.e. his 13 sacks hard working ethic. The other 2 picks that I thought were possible were CB X.Rhodes and WR C.Patterson. Since the emergence of Vontae plus we picked up Toler and re-signed Butler, I guess that Rhodes was not a priority and with Patterson having potential attitude/off the field issues, Werner was the pick. I might have taken a chance on being able to curtail Patterson. But the more I look at it, the less disappointed I am in the pick of Werner.  

I think it's funny how so many posters in all the different forums this one included think this is a good pick, but less than 3 hours ago nobody and I mean nobody had any idea who this player was. I might be wrong but I can't think of 1 post from any of the forums that have mentioned this player at all.

Read through my post history if you'd like...I've mentioned this guy several times as a "wish pick" because I never thought he would fall to us.  I've seen him discussed plenty on this site leading up to the draft.  

Well, i slept on the pick.. still don't love it.. but as I said, not mad, very complete Defense right now.. DL looks awesome, secundary if healthy looking really good, if we just judge by name this can be a top 15 if not top 10 defense.

Now.. can we be a top 10 Offense? at this point don't think so..

Read through my post history if you'd like...I've mentioned this guy several times as a "wish pick" because I never thought he would fall to us.  I've seen him discussed plenty on this site leading up to the draft.  

Ditto that on seeing him discussed, I don't think he was really talked about on here as a) he wasn't expected to fall to us & b) he isn't perceived as a scheme fit for our defense.

I think it's funny how so many posters in all the different forums this one included think this is a good pick, but less than 3 hours ago nobody and I mean nobody had any idea who this player was. I might be wrong but I can't think of 1 post from any of the forums that have mentioned this player at all.

i had him going in the first in both draft contests..... so some of us knew who he was

Wille McGinest on NFL Network last night was trashing the pick. Also said "The Colts weren't very active in Free Agency."  - What is he talking about?!

What?  Was he not paying attention or something?  How many players does he expect us to sign?

Coaches and managers can make bad decisions though.

Everyone's laughing at Dallas taking a centre...

No one is saying they're perfect lol.

But percentage wise, who makes worse decisions, fans have coaches and GMs beat hands down. Only difference is GMs have to own up when they make mistakes. Fans just go "See I knew it all along!"

Frankly, anyone who starts out with "I've never heard of the guy" inadvertently sinks their argument that he was a bad choice because X player would have been better.

If you hadn't heard of the guy, you didn't exactly do your due diligence and your basis for preferring another player is shaky.

No one is saying they're perfect lol.

But percentage wise, who makes worse decisions, fans have coaches and GMs beat hands down. Only difference is GMs have to own up when they make mistakes. Fans just go "See I knew it all along!"

I've seen that argument a lot though, especially since Grigson and Pagano took over.

"Grigson likes him so he must be good".

That's just not true. I trust Grigson and Pagan as much as the next Colts fan but not blindly. They can still make a bad decision, despite being GM and HC.

I don't think they've made a bad decision drafting Werner but I think maybe they could have have gotten better value elsewhere.

Well, i slept on the pick.. still don't love it.. but as I said, not mad, very complete Defense right now.. DL looks awesome, secundary if healthy looking really good, if we just judge by name this can be a top 15 if not top 10 defense.

Now.. can we be a top 10 Offense? at this point don't think so..

We upgraded the o-line, we have Wayne, DHB, Hilton, Fleener, Allen and a group of solid RBs. Oh and we have this guy name Luck.....

How can you not think we can be in the top 10?

Yep and Polian thought bringing in Collins in such short notice would work........My point? Just because they have the title GM on there name dont make them right.....I like Werner, I think he needs to build some strength and has a ways to go but as a rotational piece we did very good

My point is, until Grigson starts making poor decisions in the draft, he deserves our benefit of the doubt.

I've seen that argument a lot though, especially since Grigson and Pagano took over.

"Grigson likes him so he must be good".

That's just not true. I trust Grigson and Pagan as much as the next Colts fan but not blindly. They can still make a bad decision, despite being GM and HC.

I don't think they've made a bad decision drafting Werner but I think maybe they could have have gotten better value elsewhere.

Your talking two different things. I'm not talking about if he will be good in the NFL they know as much as fans do. Which is not at all. They have educated guesses just like fans, but there is way too much to quantify on if a player will sink or swim.

But I was talking about fitting our defense. Which I'm sure the guys in the front office checked to see if he would work or not.

"Someone call Chuck see if this German kid works........you know what nah just draft him. Who needs due diligence."

Lol that's how some are acting. Like there is no possible way Chuck signed off on this guy for his D.

Besides we just dumped a guy who didn't fit. It's not like this new regime has shown a tendency to be overly stubborn yet.

And if this kid works out, 96% of people questioning this decision will just flip right onto the bandwagon, so I just don't buy into the arm chair GM that goes on in the NFL.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/2013/round/1/pick/24

Scouting Analysis

Werner's play defies his lack of experience, and he is among the smartest, most polished and fundamentally sound prospects in the 2013 Draft class. Rarely out of position, he's assignment sound and has rare instincts, intensity and a nasty streak.

Flashing uncommon poise is big moments, Werner is a high-level athlete. He has exceptional acceleration off the snap, plus flexibility, speed around the corner and solid closing burst. He plays outside containment with integrity. He is athletic enough to force the ball carrier back inside, then close and make the play as well. With textbook stack and shed technique, Werner quickly disengages from opponents and plays with good pad level.

As a pass rusher, he shows tremendous flexibility, acceleration and closing speed off the corner. He can beat solid offensive tackles with raw athleticism alone. He shows a quality rip move on the outside, and a devastating inside counter, where he gains consistent penetration. He must develop additional pass rush moves as he learns his trade.

As a power player, Werner is strong at the point of attack, playing with a wide base anchor strength. He has a quality bull rush, largely successful because of his ability to transition from speed to power, generating enough force to drive an opponent backward.

Werner is undersized and would benefit from adding 15 pounds of muscle, if speed and explosiveness don't suffer as a consequence.

Werner should immediately play end in a 4-3 scheme. He's quicker coming off the edge from a four-point stance, but he looks comfortable as a stand-up rusher. He has enough innate athleticism and instincts to play 3-4 outside linebacker in sub-packages.

He's as fundamentally sound as any player in this draft and should start from Day One. Werner should be drafted no later than the top 10. — Jimmy O'Brien, Optimum Scouting

We upgraded the o-line, we have Wayne, DHB, Hilton, Fleener, Allen and a group of solid RBs. Oh and we have this guy name Luck.....

How can you not think we can be in the top 10?

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=TM&offensiveStatisticCategory=TOTAL_YARDS&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&season=2012&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=false&Submit=Go

Last year we were 10th in total yards, 7th in passing, 22nd in rushing. But that doesn't really matter to me.. we were 18th in Scoring..

So, rushing should improve because of the OL as you said, but I don't really see much difference in scoring points, maybe Luck's second year.. maybe DHB will actually catch the ball deep.. maybe Reggie won't have 100 catches.. a lot of maybes..

I'm starting to think Werner and Walden will start to stop the run and then replace Walden with Mathis on passing downs. Everyone knows Mathis isn't the best run stopper, but that's something Walden and Werner excel at.

Mathis will be starting

All these armchair QB's crack me up.

1) Before last night, most on here thought the sun rises and sets everyday because Grigson wills it.  Now, he is clueless?

2) I keep coming back to something Chappell, Kuharsky and others have said - the only position that the Colts were not appreciably better at following the free agency period was pass rusher.  Now that has been addressed.

3) Lastly, there are those proclaiming Werner to be a terrible pick, bust candidate and not a scheme fit before he even puts on a horseshoe helmet.  Can we at least let him play a freaking preseason game before making such a declaration?  Call me crazy but that seems the rational thing to do.

I will readily admit to not having my dress blown up last night but I think a little faith in those making the decisions is warranted.

Mathis will be starting

Not saying he won't be a major part of the defense, but I think it would benefit the team more if he wasn't in on running downs. This would keep Mathis fresher and more effective. Mathis isn't a young player anymore and he's a liability against the run.

Your talking two different things. I'm not talking about if he will be good in the NFL they know as much as fans do. Which is not at all. They have educated guesses just like fans, but there is way too much to quantify on if a player will sink or swim.

But I was talking about fitting our defense. Which I'm sure the guys in the front office checked to see if he would work or not.

"Someone call Chuck see if this German kid works........you know what nah just draft him. Who needs due diligence."

Lol that's how some are acting. Like there is no possible way Chuck signed off on this guy for his D.

Besides we just dumped a guy who didn't fit. It's not like this new regime has shown a tendency to be overly stubborn yet.

And if this kid works out, 96% of people questioning this decision will just flip right onto the bandwagon, so I just don't buy into the arm chair GM that goes on in the NFL.

Yeah you're right there. Who knows which players will fit the defence better than the guys that are running it?

And don't forget, we haven't even seen this defence yet!

If anything, I think he does fit the new D. As I understand it, we'll be running a lot of different looks next season, from a 3 front and a 4 front. Werner is versatile and can slot into a few different positions and perform a few different tasks, that's his USP to me and that makes him a good pick.

Not saying he won't be a major part of the defense, but I think it would benefit the team more if he wasn't in on running downs. This would keep Mathis fresher and more effective. Mathis isn't a young player anymore and he's a liability against the run.

But what's considered a "running down" these days? That philosophy may have worked 20 yrs ago.....but we shall see.