Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bjorn Werner first round pick (merge)

GoColts8818

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is no 3-4 DE, you can forget that..he is an OLB in base coverage and DE in sub packages

Watt is 6-5 290, Werner is 6-3 and a half 270, if he adds a little wait he can play a similar role...Not saying he will be as good but can be similar..He can play OLB or End.

Watt is 6-5 290, Werner is 6-3 and a half 270, if he adds a little wait he can play a similar role...Not saying he will be as good but can be similar..He can play OLB or End.

Pagano already laid out what his role will be in his defense, so I don't see the need to question what position he will/should play

Pagano already stated he'll be playing LB, not DE.

No rage...just can't highlight on this computer..So I capitalize.. lmao

Which in internet terms is considered yelling, which is rude, disrespectful and against the TOS. ;)

Werner played last year at 260-265...he lost weight to get quicker.  He'd have to gain about 20-25 lbs of pure muscle to be able to play 3-4 DE like Watt does, though Watt plays in what is primarily a 1-gap scheme.  When in a 3-4 front, our defense is primarily a 2-gap scheme which requires or DE's to be strong at the point of attack, take on double teams and collapse the pocket.  It does not require them to shoot gaps to get into the backfield to create disruption, which is what Watt's role is and what you're suggesting for Werner.  That position on our defense, in a 3-4 front would be one of the OLB positions which is what Pagano, our head coach and the architect of our defense has said Werner will be playing.   There's no reason to think that he might play the same position as Watt.  That doesn't mean that Werner can't be a game wrecker because I believe that he can be, but it won't be in exactly the same role in our defense as Watt has with Houston's, because we run a different scheme.

Which in internet terms is considered yelling, which is rude, disrespectful and against the TOS. ;)

Werner played last year at 260-265...he lost weight to get quicker.  He'd have to gain about 20-25 lbs of pure muscle to be able to play 3-4 DE like Watt does, though Watt plays in what is primarily a 1-gap scheme.  When in a 3-4 front, our defense is primarily a 2-gap scheme which requires or DE's to be strong at the point of attack, take on double teams and collapse the pocket.  It does not require them to shoot gaps to get into the backfield to create disruption, which is what Watt's role is and what you're suggesting for Werner.  That position on our defense, in a 3-4 front would be one of the OLB positions which is what Pagano, our head coach and the architect of our defense has said Werner will be playing.   There's no reason to think that he might play the same position as Watt.  That doesn't mean that Werner can't be a game wrecker because I believe that he can be, but it won't be in exactly the same role in our defense as Watt has with Houston's, because we run a different scheme.

He can still play end..smh..I can see him adding 20 pounds of muscle over the next few years anyways...He will play OLB primarily but will be moved around too...No point in arguing semantics, he is gonna be a beast and be his own guy...Never said he would be Watt he just has similar traits which isn't a bad thing, if anything he is more athletic.

As Mayock said, he reminds me a lot of Paul Kruger. Hope he brings the same production.

He may stop the run better than Kruger already. Kruger is one of the worst rated run stoppers at his position. No idea why since he's a monster. Anyway, I see now some of these pre draft video analysis that said one of Werners weakness's was lack of elite strength. Not that I care two ways about the 225 bench, it means nothing, but he did do it 25 or 26 times which was more than Ansah who everyone was raving about. Werners field strength is utterly elite. How can it not be if he's playing at 255 and stonewalling monstrous 320+lb offensive lineman? He's strong immediately off the line, not like Ansah who needs a couple steps to get up to speed. That is elite level field strength already and he's playing at 255 which is ridiculous. For sure Kruger wasn't nearly this strong when he came out of college and I'm not sure there is a whole lot of difference there even now before Werners played a single down of NFL ball. I don't know why Werner went to the combine at 266 given he played his whole senior season in the 250's and had ridiculous tape at that weight. I think he was trying to split the difference between his junior and senior season playing weight so he'd look good to 43 as well as 34 teams. But that's dumb. Any 43 team looking at him knows they could get him back up to the 270's and keep if not improve strength and speed relatively easily.

they keep saying he is not versatile, seems to me the other negatives are enough, but I would like nothing better than for him to prove me and all the nay-sayers wrong about his capabilities.  Perhaps Coach Pagano will mold him into a monster and narrow what he does just down to his strengths.  Question: is he an every down guy?

That's Willie McGinest talking, don't listen to him. He doesn't even know that we've made moves in the offseason. I swear some of those guys just pay casual attention to the teams they played for and just generally show up to work for a paycheck.

"SHOOT THE GLASS." .   

Die Hard ref...   He said it on JMV's show..  whatever.  . ..

I'm likin this guy. He seems totally legit and a great personality. Favorite quote,

"I saw the physicality of the sport. It was so amazing to see grown men tackle each other and it was legal."

:lol:

I dont see how he's like Kruger outside of skin color and they look somewhat similar in pads...which is probably what the analyst is basing their comparison off honestly if i had to guess.

Kruger had 3 and 7 sacks in his junior and senior year respectively...Werner had 13 last year alone.

Werner was an elite pass rusher the past two years. He is a much more natural pass rusher coming out of college than Kruger was.

His measurables are similar to Paul Kruger and Jarrett Johnson.

WRONG...It doesn't matter what they are paying Walden, Werner is superior in every way...When they signed Walden they never dreamed Werner would be there..Walden will get plenty of run though; they will rotate in and out and stay fresh...The best player will start and Werner is the best player.

I can't believe I'm actually going to say this, but I actually agree with Jshipp :D

Walden may have starter money, but it doesn't mean he's going to be the starter.  The Walden signing is the same as the DHB signing, which is the same as the Toler signing, .... they are all insurance policies, in case we can't get someone else better in the draft.  The way the contracts are structured, they might was well be one year contracts with the option to retain for further years.  They can ALL be cut pretty cheaply after the first year, if we don't want them at all.

So yeah... Jshipp's correct.  If Bjorn is better, he's starting over Walden, which I think will happen.

His measurables are similar to Paul Kruger and Jarrett Johnson.

And so are probably about 20 other guys.

Guys who are projected to play 4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB tend to have pretty similar measurables.....

Notice how he was ranked as the top 4-3 DE... He doesnt fit in our scheme.. cant play OLB and is a little small to play inside.

Notice how pagano and Grigson ran him through the lber drills and he knocked it out of the park. Notice how everyone said it was a great pick and that he will do well. Well of course the arm chair colts fans who keep complaining about us getting a top 5 pick in the 24th spot.

I'm sure one of the top d coordinators and gm of the year is going to pick a guy who doesn't fit. Good grief.

I don't know, my impression is that the outside linebackers are alot like defensive ends in our scheme, just with more coverage responsibilities.  He might need help against some of the more athletic TEs in coverage, but with his size and speed he turns the tables when they need to try and block him.

I think there are going to be some situations in games where we slide Werner in at DT putting pressure on the inside of the pocket, and have guys like Sidbury or Mcnary rushing off theend with Mathis coming off the other side. There's several diverse ways you can use Werner. I don't think Walden is always going to come of the field on passing downs either. He rushes the passer well enough to remain on the field at times. We're going to rotate different pass rushers in to create solid match ups we can take advantage of.

When he adds some more tools to his box like the spin move he is going to be a handful.

That dude is going to be unstoppable when he does that. Heck, the stuff(pass rush moves) he does now as a college player is not much different than what Paul Kruger does as a pro. I think this kid is much more complete than Kruger. Grigs made a wise decision not to invest a dime in Kruger. I'm glad Grigs knows better than I do.

Notice how he was ranked as the top 4-3 DE... He doesnt fit in our scheme.. cant play OLB and is a little small to play inside.

Notice Pagano runs his own defense and he picked Werner to play his defense, so basically your saying Pagano doesn't know who fits his defense he put together

“At Florida State I played a little outside linebacker in a 3-4 package,” said Werner. “I love it. I love it. I know I can do it. The coaching staff knows I can do it, and I can’t wait to do it.”

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/UNGLAUBLICH/f2ebbf0a-4e13-4b58-8576-e59790b7c47a

He fits our scheme just fine. What's funny is you mentioned Lemonier who was not nearly as dominant as this kid. That was not a 3-4 they played at Auburn. Why would Lemonier fit this scheme?

Pagano already stated he'll be playing LB, not DE.

I consider the Colts more of a hybrid defense.  He is an OLB for us--he will play OLB in 3 man fronts, but he will be lined up at DE in 4 man fronts. 

I don't see how. As JWF stated his pass rush ability is so far beyond those two. He's much more comparable to Suggs or Lamar Woodley in that he's a pass rusher first who's outstanding against the run.

I agree with the Suggs comparison.  Same position in college, weigh, height, and same measurables such as his combine 40 time.  The Ravens said the exact same thing about Suggs when they drafted him as the Colts when they drafted Werner--pass rushers don't run 40 yard dashes. 

Lemonier would have fit just fine, we dont play a traditional 3-4 defense, we play a multiple defense, Glad to have Werner though, in a couple years I believe he will be a dominant player but year 1 I dont have unreal expectations, I expect he will be in a rotation but he will show flashes of things to come. Im excited about the pick but still I keep my expectations reasonable

Lemonier would have fit just fine, we dont play a traditional 3-4 defense, we play a multiple defense, Glad to have Werner though, in a couple years I believe he will be a dominant player but year 1 I dont have unreal expectations, I expect he will be in a rotation but he will show flashes of things to come. Im excited about the pick but still I keep my expectations reasonable

I think Lemonier would have fit as well. I was using his logic to find out from him why one would fit and onewouldn't even though they both played in a 4-3.

Jimbo fisher on Werner:

"I'm going to tell you this, you don't have enough time to talk about all the good things about the guy. He's just the ultimate team player. He can rush the passer. He can play the run. The most amazing stat I tell folks about him, he led the ACC in pass breakups (13). Not only can he sack (the quarterback) but he's so instinctive and can trigger when a quarterback is going to throw. He will get in the lane, bat balls."

"The other thing that you don't know about him is that he's athletic. He can stand-up. He has very good ball skills. He's very fluid through his hips. He's a very natural football player, a very instinctive football player and a natural leader. He affected the guys on our team with his leadership every day."

On the best thing about Werner's leadership:

"He understood how to work. He understood what excellence was and he did not have a problem telling guys around him when they did not play to the level they should, or were doing things that were detrimental to the team. He did not have a problem speaking out. He can do it and the kids respected it and never resented it one bit because he lived the standard in which he preached."

On one negative about Werner:

"It's hard. I know as a coach you say that. I never coached a kid who has apologized to you when he made a mistake. If (Werner) made a mistake and you got on him about that, he would say, 'Coach I'm sorry. It won't happen again.' I can't sit here and give you any (negatives). Is he a 4.5 (40-yard dash) guy? No. But he plays much faster than he times. I don't have negatives on him. That's not a coaching thing. When you coach him, he's just a pleasure to be around."

Not sure I've ever read a better endorsement by a respected coach on player before. Great find.

I think Lemonier would have fit as well. I was using his logic to find out from him why one would fit and onewouldn't even though they both played in a 4-3.

I think some are also stuck on this notion that we play a traditional 3-4 and that thats what we are trying to move towards and thats simply not the case, we would not have picked up Francois (who is more a penetrator and speed guy then he is a hold your ground run stuffer)

I was away during the draft so recorded it and thus had to stay away form the forum, Twitter and Facebook to avoid my draft experience being ruined.

But I must say, having just seen us draft Werner I am absolutely ecstatic.

Schematically, there may not have been another player in the entire draft who suited us more. I heard a few people say he had no versatility, which is absolutely ridiculous, he does everything well, and he pass rushers from edge very very well.

I have spent a lot of time this past few weeks studying the Pagano hybrid defense. Originally I thought a lot of what we did last year was a stop-gap because we did not have the personnel to a pure 3-4, but I have come to realize that we are a true hybrid defense and this player fits the mold better than anyone else we could have picked up.

He will play with his hand in the dirt plenty of the time, he will line up at both sides of the defense in both the SAM and RUSH assignments, and he will be able to stay on the field in multiple formations. His versatility is what makes him the perfect Pagano fit. Versatility is what makes this defense works, it minimizes offenses exploiting mismatches and makes the line oblivious to where the rush is coming from.

Our offense will be fine, but it is great to see we are making strides toward creating a complete defense.

Exciting times.

I think some are also stuck on this notion that we play a traditional 3-4 and that thats what we are trying to move towards and thats simply not the case, we would not have picked up Francois (who is more a penetrator and speed guy then he is a hold your ground run stuffer)

That is patently untrue. Francois has never been considered a penetrating DE. He's is a stand your ground DE, just because he isn't quite as big as most of our other DE's, doesn't mean he's a penetrator. This was his draft profile...

Positives: Tall, but can still use leverage to bull rush his man into the pocket. … Violent with his hands, able to rip off blocks inside to make plays on the ball. … Impressive in his ability to stand his man up and discard him to either side. … Rarely gets moved when facing a one-on-one block. … Moves fluidly down the line, able to eat up a wide running lane with his length. … Recognizes the screen. … Imposing figure when closing, will work toward the quarterback if he's in sight. … Impacts passing lanes and can block kicks using his height and reach.

Negatives: A bit lean for some NFL defensive coordinators, but not considerably light. … High pad level allows double-team blocks to sweep him aside. … Inconsistent initial quickness off the snap and he guesses the snap count at times. … Could hustle and chase the ball more often. … Not quick enough to keep off a cut block, but recovers well. … Does not consistently play to his timed speed, lumbering in space and lacking elite stop-start quickness.

Nothing about that suggests he's a one gap penetrating DE and nothing about his play the last few yrs. says it either. He's a stout 2 gap DE.