Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Vs Broncos, Luck Vs Peyton is top must see game of season says USA Today

bayone

one single game is huge in the NFL. Had we had one extra win last year we would have win the division (depending on who that win was against) ,so to say one game is meaningless, especially against another AFC team, is just incorrect.

Also, using your logic, you prefer every team with an older Qb. That's pretty much every other team in the league. I'm not sure i follow your logic..

I stopped at rooting for the ex qb to beat your team. To each their own, but go figure...

Broncos at Colts will be a big game! I'm pulling for the Colts to take it, but wouldn't be too upset if Denver won . I've always liked Manning, but can't go against Luck. It would be an upset if Indy won 'cause I think Denver will be favored.

Seriously? Well nobody disputes what he did for our team, our city and our franchise. Is it our fault he had 4 neck surgeries and was out the entire year but still got paid how many millions of dollars? It was a perfect storm being able to move from one great to another. The torch was passed. Manning was and is a great qb. But he has moved on as have us Colts fans. When he comes to town he will be the enemy, the opposing team and I will only wish him many many sacks, hits and some forced fumbles.

Did I state or imply that Manning physical circumstances were anyone's fault & that Jim Irsay was obligated to stick with #18 at the helm in INDY for his entire NFL career? No, I did not. How can a torch be passed when he is deemed "the enemy" exactly? You can favor Andrew Luck & the Colts to win this season without classifying the now opposition as the enemy. 

Enemy: “Somebody who hates & seeks to maim, harm, or cause physical injury to another person, civilization, or nation during the course of combat or on a battlefield.” Usually, not a word associated with high esteem & respect there or gratitude for that matter. 

You are free to believe what you want naturally NewEra, but I will never categorize Peyton Manning as a hated commodity worthy of physical injury. I do not perceive #18 through the same narrow prism you clearly do. To each their own I guess. So be it.

Southwest. I will never call you out on here. Ever. But I will be in Indy on the 4th or 5th of October for the Seahawks game, and I am going to hunt you down and kick your ......... 

Or buy you a beer if I can find you......

Wanting the Colts to lose indeed...........

one single game is huge in the NFL. Had we had one extra win last year we would have win the division (depending on who that win was against) ,so to say one game is meaningless, especially against another AFC team, is just incorrect.

Also, using your logic, you prefer every team with an older Qb. That's pretty much every other team in the league. I'm not sure i follow your logic..

I will acknowledge that a 16 game season in the NFL makes each game carry a magnitude of significance that say baseball clearly doesn't given the volume of games that encompass a typical Spring & Summer season. I never said that any game was meaningless. Here is exactly what I said: [Post #36]: "If the Colts are really as good as pundits say we are or should be, 1 game will not determine our upcoming season...If it does than we have a ton of work to do the following season."

Does that statement trivialize any game? No, what it does infer though is this: If your collective season really comes down to 1 single game, your team is nowhere near championship caliber ready & your squad had numerous other chances to change the trajectory, direction, & scope of their season & failed to execute in more than just 1 football game. 

You don't have to agree with my logic, but is straight forward & usually true. Expertise matters in every profession: Nuclear Physics, Stem cell researcher, Federal Emergency Management Association Director, and NFL QB. Are their exceptions that defy the rule? Sure. But they are not as commonplace as you might think. "Age & treachery win over youth & skill" Dr. Thomas Lundeen taught me that & 9 chances out of 10 that reality holds true. Feel free to disagree with me Jvan. It's no skin off my teeth or my back for that matter. 

I liken it to say a genius or prodigy who say for the sake of argument creates a revolutionary tone, mood, or an atmosphere of winning & delivers the goods 10 fold exceeding all expectations. This winning persona never existed prior to that individual's arrival. Say you are a major car manufacturer & a lone, elder engineer creates a ground breaking fuel injection system that makes your company billions & makes your boss financially secure for the rest of his life & countless generations thereafter.

Now, if another younger engineer modifies that same fuel injection system & they make it better & able to withstand massive strain & friction beyond pervious levels are you gonna dismiss & ignore the 1st engineer who built this landmark fuel injection system just because that person went to another automobile company or retired? Nope. Always remember where you came from & those individuals who made your company, product, or franchise relevant & a gold star among industry circles from an immpeccable standard perspective. It's as simple as that in my eyes anyway.

IMO, this is where some may be getting stuck. This previous August, I attended a Colts pre-season game...we decided to have our meal at, The Colts Grille. Right inside the door was an autographed Peyton Manning jersey displayed inside a frame. I'm an amateur photographer, so snapped a photo of his jersey which later went into my memory album. Later, while walking through LOS, observed photos of Peyton still being displayed. I don't think the city of Indianapolis has forgotten about what he gave while he was their quarterback. I will agree, it was unfortunate what happened, but Peyton will never be forgotten in Indianapolis or for that matter, the State of Indiana.

I will acknowledge that a 16 game season in the NFL makes each game carry a magnitude of significance that say baseball clearly doesn't given the volume of games that encompass a typical Spring & Summer season. I never said that any game was meaningless. Here is exactly what I said: [Post #36]: "If the Colts are really as good as pundits say we are or should be, 1 game will not determine our upcoming season...If it does than we have a ton of work to do the following season."

Does that statement trivialize any game? No, what it does infer though is this: If your collective season really comes down to 1 single game, your team is nowhere near championship caliber ready & your squad had numerous other chances to change the trajectory, direction, & scope of their season & failed to execute in more than just 1 football game.

You don't have to agree with my logic, but is straight forward & usually true. Expertise matters in every profession: Nuclear Physics, Stem cell researcher, Federal Emergency Management Association Director, and NFL QB. Are their exceptions that defy the rule? Sure. But they are not as commonplace as you might think. "Age & treachery win over youth & skill" Dr. Thomas Lundeen taught me that & 9 chances out of 10 that reality holds true. Feel free to disagree with me Jvan. It's no skin off my teeth or my back for that matter.

missing or making the playoffs come down to one game every season.

Southwest. I will never call you out on here. Ever. But I will be in Indy on the 4th or 5th of October for the Seahawks game, and I am going to hunt you down and kick your ......... 

Or buy you a beer if I can find you......

Wanting the Colts to lose indeed...........

I can appreciate a difference of opinion that is 180 degrees diametrically opposed to my viewpoint. That's what sparks real debate respect for 1 another & peaceful controversy & confrontation. This game carries more symbolic depth for Peyton than Andrew. His exodus from INDY, his health, his surgeries, his twilight NFL years are fast approaching & his own personal desire to show Jim Irsay that he was wrong & that Peyton is not worthy of being lead out to pasture & die.

Andrew Luck on the other hand is healthy, young, surrounded by promising young talent & a great coaching staff. He has more years ahead of him than behind him & his Championship years will come so if the Colts lose this game it isn't catastrophic in any way, shape, or form.

Ironically in GB I wanted Brett Favre the veteran QB to just shut up & leave. Why? Brett never wanted to practice & put in the grueling training camp work. Aaron Rogers had waited patiently in the wings for several seasons & it was time to give Rogers the franchise reigns. My point is: Peyton Manning always put in the work, demanded nothing extra by way of special treatment & he was still a viable asset to win NFL games in this league. In other words, there are instances in my life where a elder QB can exit stage right. I have endorsed that philosophy before.

"I am going to hunt you down and kick your ..."  haha Yes, I do tend to get myself noticed & remembered not always for glowing reasons BHC...Speaking my mind, is who I am & I will never change my friend.  ;)

missing or making the playoffs come down to one game every season.

No, that is not entirely accurate Jvan. Winning the AFC South Division title can be determined by a single game. Wildcard spots are always tough to predict though. I will grant you that. However, winning a Wildcard spot can get a team to the SB i.e. the 2005 Steelers.

But again, if a team is fundamentally football sound & executes well with precision fluidity in most situations, a team's collective fate is seldom defined by 1 single game. If your squad executes smoothly all season long, the Playoffs usually take care of themselves.

IMO, this is where some may be getting stuck. This previous August, I attended a Colts pre-season game...we decided to have our meal at, The Colts Grille. Right inside the door was an autographed Peyton Manning jersey displayed inside a frame. I'm an amateur photographer, so snapped a photo of his jersey which later went into my memory album. Later, while walking through LOS, observed photos of Peyton still being displayed. I don't think the city of Indianapolis has forgotten about what he gave while he was their quarterback. I will agree, it was unfortunate what happened, but Peyton will never be forgotten in Indianapolis or for that matter, the State of Indiana.

A nice response here INDYBarb. "Peyton will never be forgotten in Indianapolis or for that matter, the State of Indiana."

I agree 100%. But, that's not really the thesis of my argument. This Oct. game between the Colts & the Broncos is enormous for Peyton. The old man has got to show what he still has in the tank & that a victory is a distinct possibility. Peyton can still lose, but he's got to be dominate or at least have a competitive 4 Qtr. drive that almost defines the entire game & it's final outcome.

"Seize the day" or carpe diem & make the most of this moment just like when Brett Favre returned to Lambeau Field as a Viking for the 1st time as an opponent. The symbolism of this moment for Peyton cannot be underestimated. Flawless execution on the field is mandatory IMHO. Next season, this team matchup won't matter symbolically at all IMO.

Did I state or imply that Manning physical circumstances were anyone's fault & that Jim Irsay was obligated to stick with #18 at the helm in INDY for his entire NFL career? No, I did not. How can a torch be passed when he is deemed "the enemy" exactly? You can favor Andrew Luck & the Colts to win this season without classifying the now opposition as the enemy.

Enemy: “Somebody who hates & seeks to maim, harm, or cause physical injury to another person, civilization, or nation during the course of combat or on a battlefield.” Usually, not a word associated with high esteem & respect there or gratitude for that matter.

You are free to believe what you want naturally NewEra, but I will never categorize Peyton Manning as a hated commodity worthy of physical injury. I do not perceive #18 through the same narrow prism you clearly do. To each their own I guess. So be it.

I don't wish him to be hurt. Just on his back a while lot. Can't pass from there ;)

No, that is not entirely accurate Jvan. Winning the AFC South Division title can be determined by a single game. Wildcard spots are always tough to predict though. I will grant you that. However, winning a Wildcard spot can get a team to the SB i.e. the 2005 Steelers.

But again, if a team is fundamentally football sound & executes well with precision fluidity in most situations, a team's collective fate is seldom defined by 1 single game. If your squad executes smoothly all season long, the Playoffs usually take care of themselves.

If we finish 12-4 and the Broncos finish 12-4 that game determines a tie-breaker and the winner gets the higher seed. It's the difference between 3 playoff games with one on the road and 2 playoff games with both at home. So that game kind of matters.

I like how the NFL markets it's product.     

We have INDY hosting the BRONCOS ...  and it is the "most anticipated" game of the year?

This is a good thing.     Small markets CAN be relevant ....       This is were the NBA and MLB totally drop the ball.  They market ... "markets" ...     they cater to NY, LA, CHI, Boston, and on and on....   they THINK big markets equal BIG TV numbers.   And in "their" business model it does.    

A small market team simply cannot contend in the NBA or MLB.      No salary cap.    And even bigger is the fact that those leagues market individuals....  and not the team.   And that is why they struggle.

Any team in the NFL can win the Super Bowl....     any year.       Aaron Rodgers is just as popular in GB as he would be in NY.

THE NFL DOESN'T EVEN HAVE A TEAM IN LOS ANGELAS....  heehee...    That must be a kick in the nuts to the "other" pro leagues.

Go Colts....     Fantasy Football is also a plus.....    ;)

I thought everyone in England worshiped Manchester United?

hehe...  

Somewhere along the road, people have forgotten that this is only a game. I hope the Colts beat the Broncos. No more, no less. It doesn't really matter that much.....

I'd rather we worshiped the Shrine of the Shoe than any one player, no matter how much he moved us all.

We have INDY hosting the BRONCOS ... and it is the "most anticipated" game of the year?

This is a good thing. Small markets CAN be relevant .... This is were the NBA and MLB totally drop the ball. They market ... "markets" ... they cater to NY, LA, CHI, Boston, and on and on.... they THINK big markets equal BIG TV numbers. And in "their" business model it does.

A small market team simply cannot contend in the NBA or MLB. No salary cap. And even bigger is the fact that those leagues market individuals.... and not the team. And that is why they struggle.

Any team in the NFL can win the Super Bowl.... any year. Aaron Rodgers is just as popular in GB as he would be in NY.

THE NFL DOESN'T EVEN HAVE A TEAM IN LOS ANGELAS.... heehee... That must be a kick in the nuts to the "other" pro leagues.

Go Colts.... Fantasy Football is also a plus..... ;)

Yeah, I'm a pacers fan but the nba and MLB is a complete joke. They would be so much better if they promoted like the nfl does. Even the star treatment is a joke.

If we finish 12-4 and the Broncos finish 12-4 that game determines a tie-breaker and the winner gets the higher seed. It's the difference between 3 playoff games with one on the road and 2 playoff games with both at home. So that game kind of matters.

I will grant you that the scenario you present is indeed plausible Dustin & yes Jvan does have a valid point there. Location really doesn't matter that much to me. Whether you are home or away, your squad still must win in the post season & sitting or resting often destroys chemistry & MOJO but I will concede that not having to travel & sleeping in your own bed does help a team if you do win the top seed in the Playoffs.

Look, I respect Jvan, Dustin, JD, BHC, & New Era, & IndyBarb are entitled to their viewpoint as am I. You wanna claim I'm nuts or off the dead end that's perfectly fine & okay with that about Peyton vs Andrew I'm cool with that. I'm used to swimming upstream anyway. haha Just Kidding!

We have INDY hosting the BRONCOS ...  and it is the "most anticipated" game of the year?

This is a good thing.     Small markets CAN be relevant ....       This is were the NBA and MLB totally drop the ball.  They market ... "markets" ...     they cater to NY, LA, CHI, Boston, and on and on....   they THINK big markets equal BIG TV numbers.   And in "their" business model it does.    

A small market team simply cannot contend in the NBA or MLB.      No salary cap.    And even bigger is the fact that those leagues market individuals....  and not the team.   And that is why they struggle.

Any team in the NFL can win the Super Bowl....     any year.       Aaron Rodgers is just as popular in GB as he would be in NY.

THE NFL DOESN'T EVEN HAVE A TEAM IN LOS ANGELAS....  heehee...    That must be a kick in the nuts to the "other" pro leagues.

Go Colts....     Fantasy Football is also a plus.....    ;)

Another reason baseball doesn't appeal to me in the slightest: The club houses with the biggest payrolls always win or compete for World Championships vs smaller teams with fiscals restraints that always get steamrolled. If the odds are rigged against you revenue wise from day 1, fan support is DOA & it can never be brought back to life ever. 

1 thing that favors Andrew Luck in this matchup: A clear head not distracted by emotions & having to shake everyone's hand inside LOS from coaches, to trainers, to equipment managers, & security guards like Peyton will be. Has Manning ever seen let alone been inside the visitor's locker room? Hmmm... In any case, it should be an unforgettable game as BHC suggested...

The order of the day: Quiet, intense focus where you can hear a pin drop on the locker room floor...Can an old dog learn new tricks or is the young pup ready to pounce & claim his new INDY throne? It's time to clash swords & find out who really is King of this AFC mountain...Here we go... 

Luck can run....      and throw....

Manning ......     ughhh...

the Colts will win at LOS....      vs the Manning led Broncos.

I would give anything to have kept my season tix ....    This game alone would be worth it.....

Normally, I would agree with you Joker except for 1 thing: You never forget which team knocked your squad out of the Playoffs & systematically killed your :lombardi: run...Anytime of the season I'm ready to crush that team & make an example of them week 1 or week 16; It makes no difference to me. "Payback is a ___________ [Rhymes with witch.] Success is always the best revenge.  :yahoo:

It's a huge game I don't disagree with that, I'm just saying the season opener is already big but to say its the biggest game is like saying only the beginning of a movie is important.

The trip (pilgrimage) is booked! Section 627 I believe (my mom has the details)... anybody else going to be there?

I can't wait! I missed out on seeing Peyton in person, so it will be amazing to finally have that chance. Like I said to my father, "Andrew Luck, Reggie Wayne, Robert Mathis, Peyton Manning, Jacob Tamme, Wes Welker.... and we're NOT going to Hawaii?" :D