Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts... Broncos 2013 Lucas Oil Stadium

DILLIGAFER

It's going to happen most Colts fans are going to cheer when Peyton is introduced and rightfully so.  From then on most Colts fans are going to hope the Colts win the game because a loss hurts the Colts and if the season goes like Colts fans hope next year that loss could cost the Colts come playoff time in terms of having to go on the road or missing a bye or something. 

With that said there is a simple line in the sand here between two parties that I think is really hard for the other side to understand the other.

1.  There are the die hard Colts fans who cheer for the Colts no matter what who can't fathom cheering for the other team no matter.  Frankly I am personally closer to this side of things although I try to understand the other view point.  So when the other side is pulling for Peyton these fans can't understand that because to them it comes across as cheering against the Colts when they play. 

2.  There is the other side that is grateful for what Peyton Manning did for the Colts and want to show him the respect he deserves.  They have a hard time understanding why some fans don't want to see Peyton Manning do well because if they lose it wouldn't be good for Manning. 

What is really going on side one isn't really cheering for Peyton to do bad or fail in most cases they are just supporting the Colts.  For the other side they aren't trying to cheer against the Colts they just love Peyton Manning and want to see him do well.  There is nothing wrong with either view point and each side is entitled to their view point and I think it would do both sides good to remember that both are opinions and one side isn't wrong for just simply having an opinion.  After all this is what the forum is for an exchange of opinions.  Now it's up to all of us to be adult enough (which 99.9% of all the people who post here are)  to understand that just because someone doesn't always hold the same opinion as us that it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with that person or that they are dumb or uninformed or not a fan of something.   

I look at this game the same way I do when the Colts play the Giants or Packers my other two favorite teams.  I want them to win any other game they play but when they play the Colts I am 100% in the Colts corner and just want the Colts to win the game and don't really care how well the Giants or Packers play in those games I am more interested in how well the Colts are playing.  A few years ago when the Giants came in and got blown out by the Colts I wasn't feeling bad for Eli or Giants during the game I was more excited by just how well the Colts were playing for example.  Samething when we play the Broncos.  I like to see Peyton do well any other game he plays but when he plays the Colts I am going to much more interested in what the Colts do.  It doesn't mean I am not grateful for what Manning did for the Colts.  That thought couldn't be further from the truth for me.  I am extremely grateful for what Manning did for the Colts and I hope the Colts spare no expense to bring Peyton Manning home at the end of the Career and give him the right sendoff he deserves.  However, I hope Andrew Luck and the Colts win this game not because I want to see Manning fail or anything like that, I take no joy in that, I just want to see good things happen for the Colts. 

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be nice to be there to hear Peyton's introduction at the start of the game, but frankly I'm not sure that I want to watch the game itself at all. Not as bad as the prospects of a playoff game like last year, but still excruciating. I'm scratching my head about what is so "coveted" about the prospect of a game where, regardless of the outcome, I know that I'm going to end up feeling the sting of a loss. And the thought of what the forums will be like is just disturbing. No good will come from this (darn rotating schedule)!

To be honest, though Peyton did not leave like Favre, to me, it would be like Rodgers taking on Favre at Green Bay vs the Vikes in year 1 of Favre with the Vikes. Favre got him in year 1 but once Rodgers got him in year 2, it was all downhill for Favre from there :). But then, Favre went to the same division.

So, psychologically, I want Luck to get the edge on the field in his first meeting vs the guy he replaced, unlike Rodgers with Favre. Peyton has had his moments in the sun, it is Luck's turn, IMO :)

Really? I mean, really?

This is one reason why I'm not looking forward to this game as much as most people (I have season tickets).

Why is this even a question? Why would we get quiet for Manning when he's on offense? He's not a Colt. He's on the other team. He's an opponent.

Any other game, sure I'll root for Manning no problem, but when he's facing the Colts (our TEAM) I honestly hope we destroy the Broncos and Manning.

Quite frankly, I have never understood this attitude. Wanting to win is 1 thing & yes Luck is our QB now, but wanting pulverize our former field general is...more than a bit extreme. Yes, that is your right to believe that or desire that.

The professional historian in me positively despises that unwarranted mindset personally. You never forget what Dungy & Manning built in INDY. Again, yes we are in the Luck era now not the Manning era anymore, but never forget where you came from & which individuals like #18 brought us into a prominent NFL powerhouse across the league. No, I do not wish to see Peyton destoyed. SMH. "Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it." Crazy just crazy...Sigh...

Let's play devil's advocate here: What if Peyton & the Broncos soundly defeat Luck & the Colts? The master is still capable of showing his young apprentice who is the real INDY line of scrimmage mastermind. 

In the words of Dr. Thomas Lundeen, who taught "English History" & "Imperialism In Africa & Asia:" ""Age & treachery win over youth & skill." Translation: Experience & wisdom matter. Youth is overrated. 

Yes, I will be honest here. Dallas is not my favorite NFL club & I do enjoy watching that team get crushed, dominated, & literally run over as often as possible. Why? Because that squad gets revered & celebrated for annual incompetence, minimal Playoff wins, & almost a 20 year SB drought.

I don't throw away Peyton like garbage just because he wears a different uniform. Yes, I will root for the Colts, but I honor my elders & I don't set their INDY legacy ablaze like they achieved nothing at LOS from 1998-2011. It's just disrespectful & it royally ticks me off. There I said it. It needed to be said too. Thank you.

Yes, I will be honest here. Dallas is not my favorite NFL club & I do enjoy watching that team get crushed, dominated, & literally run over as often as possible. Why? Because that squad gets revered & celebrated for annual incompetence, minimal Playoff wins, & almost a 20 year SB drought.

I don't throw away Peyton like garbage just because he wears a different uniform. Yes, I will root for the Colts, but I honor my elders & I don't set their INDY legacy ablaze like they achieved nothing at LOS from 1998-2011. It's just disrespectful & it royally ticks me off. There I said it. It needed to be said too. Thank you.

:hat: Hats off to you sir. 

:hat: Hats off to you sir. 

Thank you Broncolt. I appreciate that. :thmup:  In the words of another historian I had named Paula Nelson who taught me well: "Don't miss the forest for the trees & remember that we are all standing on the shoulders of those who went before us & kicked open doors of opportunity for us right here, right now." Amen Dr. Nelson. Amen.  :worthy:  Gratitude must never be forgotten or trivialized IMHO. That's all I ask.

Just from watching on TV, the loudest I ever remember LOS being for an entire game was against the Patriots in 2009. It got pretty loud in the second half against the Packers last year, too. I hope the home crowd gives Peyton a great welcome and ovation at the beginning of the game, and then becomes a nightmare for him for the rest of the game. I hope the Broncos line false starts a half dozen times.

I'll be there trying my best to make the Broncos false start, and if someone is sitting near me that isn't doing the same I will be yelling at them to start yelling too.

:bored:

I'll be there trying my best to make the Broncos false start, and if someone is sitting near me that isn't doing the same I will be yelling at them to start yelling too.

Yea that's what every fans wants. Some guy yelling at them.

What happens if they have strep, or laryngitis or something. Better hope you don't get a seat next to a mute.

Quite frankly, I have never understood this attitude. Wanting to win is 1 thing & yes Luck is our QB now, but wanting pulverize our former field general is...more than a bit extreme. Yes, that is your right to believe that or desire that.

The professional historian in me positively despises that unwarranted mindset personally. You never forget what Dungy & Manning built in INDY. Again, yes we are in the Luck era now not the Manning era anymore, but never forget where you came from & which individuals like #18 brought us into a prominent NFL powerhouse across the league. No, I do not wish to see Peyton destoyed. SMH. "Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it." Crazy just crazy...Sigh...

Lol stopped reading after the first few sentences.

I want to destroy EVERY opponent. Manning is no longer our field general, as you call it. Key word is former in your sentence.

Some people can't grasp this fact.

For some folks, it is unfortunately personal. That probably applies to both sides, you know what I am saying. :)

Objectively, folks have had a year to move on, and in the grand scheme of things, it should be long enough to go all in behind Luck. Some just want those all-in-for-Luck-sentiments verbalized more. Instead, all they get is more Broncos threads, lol.

Both sides can do a few things to be honest about it and tone it down and things will be respected more mutually, IMO. Just my two cents :).

I want to destroy EVERY opponent. Manning is no longer our field general, as you call it. Key word is former in your sentence.

and then there are people like you. people who that no matter what cannot and refuse to acknowlege nor reminise of great things or players of the past. what's the matter with you? cant be greatful for the good times? its pathetic and sad. your part of the 'what have you done for me lately' club. a club i refuse to ever be a part of.

like my sig says.. 'recognizing greatness, one Colt at a time'. that includes past, present, and future players. whats so wrong with that?

i'm looking forward to the game. should be a good one.

Happy to amuse you sir. By that "former" logic, all former employees, bosses, girlfriends, & QBs are now worthy of destruction & dismissal. It is a bizarre & short sighted way to live Coltswarriors. But, that is certainly your prerogative. I am relieved that my friends & I do not reside in that narrow world. Have a pleasant evening.  :hat:

What does the destruction of a QB have to do with letting go? Your illogical conclusions fascinate me...

For some folks, it is unfortunately personal. That probably applies to both sides, you know what I am saying. :)

Objectively, folks have had a year to move on, and in the grand scheme of things, it should be long enough to go all in behind Luck. Some just want those all-in-for-Luck-sentiments verbalized more. Instead, all they get is more Broncos threads, lol.

Both sides can do a few things to be honest about it and tone it down and things will be respected more mutually, IMO. Just my two cents :).

You do make a valid point Chad. There are probably fans in INDY that are relieved to see Peyton Manning leave the Colts due to some of his recent 1 & done Playoff exits in the 1st round. Will Andrew Luck cross that Playoff thresh hold easier & more frequently than #18 did? That remains to be seen. Don't fall in love with a new field general simply because of 1 post season victory. Success in this league never comes easily & the grass isn't always greener on the other side. I'm not putting you in this category Chad at all, but the "new kid on the block" belief is a dangerous mindset after only 1 NFL season under Luck's belt & fans need to be cognizant of that. Yes, I am fully aware of another possibility. Andrew Luck's post season successes could proliferate like a rocket for the next 4-5 years never slow down or fading in the short term future as well.

As more seasons pass between Manning & Luck these mixed rivalry feelings will Dissipate, dispel, & dissolve into nothing more than an exciting NFL game to watch for the game’s entertainment sake alone. I will try to remember that there are Blue Horseshoe fans that are glad & almost overjoyed to cut this QB loose for good. I don't subscribe to that philosophy, but I must remember to give all fans the right to express their opinions freely. Point taken.

Be weary of the "new kid in town" or the new QB in town. I think Andrew is the real deal, but I need to see more first. I don't blindly hand the NFL football baton over to the new kid & expect spectacular results. 

Happy to amuse you sir. By that "former" logic, all former employees, bosses, girlfriends, & QBs are now worthy of destruction & dismissal. It is a bizarre & short sighted way to live Coltswarriors. But, that is certainly your prerogative. I am relieved that my friends & I do not reside in that narrow world. Have a pleasant evening.  :hat:

What does the destruction of a QB have to do with letting go? Your illogical conclusions fascinate me...

Is this for real? I'm sorry, but this might be the worst post ever made.

Peyton plays a game, I don't hate Peyton AT ALL. He's the greatest QB to ever play for the Colts and he's one of my all time favorite Colts. I also, already stated that I'd root for Peyton, unless he's playing against the COLTS (PS I still think there are people, like you, that live in fantasy world where Peyton is still the QB for this TEAM).

Comparing that to friends, employees, etc. is just don't right illogical. 

Also @Broncolt I love watching Peyton play (specifically when he was with the Colts), but just as you said in your post he's a PAST player, I respect and LOVE what he brought to us in the PAST. Has nothing to do with him playing with the Broncos.

For some reason both of you think I hate Peyton when I NEVER SAID THAT. When in fact I'm Peyton's #1 fan.... Unless he's playing OUR team.

Be weary of the "new kid in town" or the new QB in town. I think Andrew is the real deal, but I need to see more first. I don't blindly hand the NFL football baton over to the new kid & expect spectacular results. 

Totally understandable. Andrew Luck does not need anointing at this point, he just needs the undivided support of Colts fans with all their chips on the Andrew Luck table. Can't hold on to ex-lovers in your thoughts and expect to have a good relationship with your new date, can ya? That is what I expect Colts fans to do. 

You can't erase the ex from a good relationship that had to end, and you don't have to erase the ex's memories and get antagonistic towards the ex.

But you have to be sincere with your new date giving your undivided support to that new relationship, if that makes sense :).

Is this for real? I'm sorry, but this might be the worst post ever made.

Peyton plays a game, I don't hate Peyton AT ALL. He's the greatest QB to ever play for the Colts and he's one of my all time favorite Colts. I also, already stated that I'd root for Peyton, unless he's playing against the COLTS (PS I still think there are people, like you, that live in fantasy world where Peyton is still the QB for this TEAM).

Comparing that to friends, employees, etc. is just don't right illogical.

Also @Broncolt I love watching Peyton play (specifically when he was with the Colts), but just as you said in your post he's a PAST player, I respect and LOVE what he brought to us in the PAST. Has nothing to do with him playing with the Broncos.

For some reason both of you think I hate Peyton when I NEVER SAID THAT. When in fact I'm Peyton's #1 fan.... Unless he's playing OUR team.

Once again, you completely disown your own thesis: "I want to destroy EVERY opponent. Manning is no longer our field general, as you call it. Key word is former in your sentence."

Did I use "hate" anywhere in my reply to you? No, I did not. The operative word being "former." Logically, based upon your own words, it is safe to assume that since Peyton Manning is no longer the Colts starting QB you want to "destroy" him. Therefore, it is not an illogical stretch to infer that this same philosophy would be equally applied to anyone landing in a "former" category. Those were your exact words Coltswarriors. Nothing I wrote was taken out of context based on the information I had at the time. Post #55. Go back & read it sir.

Peyton plays a game, I don't hate Peyton AT ALL. He's the greatest QB to ever play for the Colts and he's one of my all time favorite Colts. I also, already stated that I'd root for Peyton, unless he's playing against the COLTS (PS I still think there are people, like you, that live in fantasy world where Peyton is still the QB for this TEAM).

When in fact I'm Peyton's #1 fan.... Unless he's playing OUR team.

Look CS, I will take you at your word that you respect Peyton's contributions in INDY & his NFL achievements. I have no problem with you at all & I appreciate your clarification on #18. I guess I felt that a number of INDY fans were almost exuberant at the prospect of soundly defeating Manning. It can across as cruel & unsavory to me & I felt compelled to respond & defend Peyton's remarkable benchmarks accomplished in Indianapolis. Nothing more; nothing less.

Totally understandable. Andrew Luck does not need anointing at this point, he just needs the undivided support of Colts fans with all their chips on the Andrew Luck table. Can't hold on to ex-lovers in your thoughts and expect to have a good relationship with your new date, can ya? That is what I expect Colts fans to do. 

You can't erase the ex from a good relationship that had to end, and you don't have to erase the ex's memories and get antagonistic towards the ex.

But you have to be sincere with your new date giving your undivided support to that new relationship, if that makes sense :).

I get what you're saying Chad. Breakups suck & hurt like Hades, but a new woman in your life, or franchise QB in this case, can be very exhilarating too. I have a difficult time embracing change especially when I am really fond of someone AKA #18. Just give me time Chad to move on. Thanks.  Can I say hello to Peyton once in awhile & have pleasant, nostalgic memories of 2004, 2006, & 2009 though? Just Kidding! HA! HA! 

This forum leading up to the game:

VSaAb.gif

Jules, I'm just like you; I stand my ground & I defend my position vehemently no holes barred. But, when I make a mistake or step over the line. I admit it. Thanks for the laugh though. You Rock!!!

I don't back down easily & 1 rebuttal post is not going send me running for the hills anytime soon or ever for that matter. I respect differences of opinion & I always try to be respectful, but I know how to debate & use language to it's full capacity & authority. I didn't just fall off a turnip truck; more like a hostess Ho-Hos delivery truck actually. HA! HA!

Do you want me to mumble, wear a hooded sweatshirt, & tell you nothing useful to a reporter just like Bill Belichick? I can do that you know. SW1 loves to accommodate his friends you know.

Jules, I'm just like you; I stand my ground & I defend my position vehemently no holes barred. But, when I make a mistake or step over the line. I admit it. Thanks for the laugh though. You Rock!!!

I don't back down easily & 1 rebuttal post is not going send me running for the hills anytime soon or ever for that matter. I respect differences of opinion & I always try to be respectful, but I know how to debate & use language to it's full capacity & authority. I didn't just fall off a turnip truck; more like a hostess Ho-Hos delivery truck actually. HA! HA!

Do you want me to mumble, wear a hooded sweatshirt, & tell you nothing useful to a reporter just like Bill Belichick? I can do that you know. SW1 loves to accommodate his friends you know.

;)

Yep, this is what Bill Belichick would say if he was the Colts coach and the next game was the Peyton led Broncos,

"We will preare for them like any other team and need a great week of practice. They are a well coached team. They can throw the ball, run the ball, play good defense, good special teams, good coaching. Lots of unique challenges and we look forward to the opportunity."

0203_oag_Belichick-530x353.jpg

;)

Yep, this is what Bill Belichick would say if he was the Colts coach and the next game was the Peyton led Broncos,

"We will preare for them like any other team and need a great week of practice. They are a well coached team. They can throw the ball, run the ball, play good defense, good special teams, good coaching. Lots of unique challenges and we look forward to the opportunity."

0203_oag_Belichick-530x353.jpg

Doesn't that simplistic statement remind you of something Tom Hanks would say as "Forrest Gump?" "Life is like a box of chocolates; you never know what your gonna get?" I'm not questioning Bill Belichick's intelligence just the usefulness of his press conferences. Deep Bill Deep. Okay, it's a deliberate act of 4th estate, NFL media deception. 

You know it brings up an interesting question: What would an excited Bill Belichick look & sound like? I'd pay some serious money to hear & see that actually. Any thoughts or ideas? Could you picture Bill at a college commencement ceremony as the keynote speaker? Hmmm...

Once again, you completely disown your own thesis: "I want to destroy EVERY opponent. Manning is no longer our field general, as you call it. Key word is former in your sentence."

Did I use "hate" anywhere in my reply to you? No, I did not. The operative word being "former." Logically, based upon your own words, it is safe to assume that since Peyton Manning is no longer the Colts starting QB you want to "destroy" him. Therefore, it is not an illogical stretch to infer that this same philosophy would be equally applied to anyone landing in a "former" category. Those were your exact words Coltswarriors. Nothing I wrote was taken out of context based on the information I had at the time. Post #55. Go back & read it sir.

Ok, so what is there to talk about here? Yes, I want to destroy every opponent/players and since he's no longer on our team (making him an opponent) I want to destroy him and the Broncos as well.

Realting it to friends, employees, etc. like I said is complete nonsense. Peyton plays a game, that is real life. If I ever meet Peyton on the streets I'd go up to him ask for autographs, pictures, etc. just like any other fan and I'd thank him for turning this town into a football town and for doing all that he has done.

Doesn't that simplistic statement remind you of something Tom Hanks would say as "Forrest Gump?" "Life is like a box of chocolates; you never know what your gonna get?" I'm not questioning Bill Belichick's intelligence just the usefulness of his press conferences. Deep Bill Deep. Okay, it's a deliberate act of 4th estate, NFL media deception. 

You guys are unbelievably obsessed with the Patriots. My gosh.