Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

"Perfect" Colts Draft

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1579424-indianapolis-colts-2013-mock-draft-building-the-perfect-7-round-draft

In my opinion, this is far from a perfect, or even good, draft.

1. Cyprien- We don't need a safety. Maybe one in the mid rounds to eventually take over for Bethea, but not a first rounder on a guaranteed backup.

3. Marcus Wheaton- Good player. But he is a slot receiver. Really? The tallest of our starting WRs by far would be 6'0 Wayne. Bad pick.

4. Brandon Jenkins- Good pick, but he is a tweener. Big risk.

6. Sam Brenner- OL depth, whatever.

7. Miguel Maysonet- Underrated guy. Good pick.

7. Collin Klein- WTH? What's the point? We don't need a TE or another QB, and he certainly isn't a WR or RB. Not to mention all of the unnecessary attention he would bring. Luck has a bad game and our less educated fans start calling for Klein, and all of a sudden we're the Jets. Awful pick. Worse than wasting the pick.

Cyprien is a pick I can live with since Bethea is on a contract year and it gives us a quality safety with 1 year under his belt should we choose to let Bethea go. If Pagano does plan to play 3 safety looks, I would not mind it from that point of view either.

The others, I am not sold.

Thanks for posting this....

And this just further reinforces my point....    that lots of websites like to do mock drafts...   they generate lots of 'clicks'...  lots of 'looks'  'eyes' and 'traffic'...

The problem is,  most people doing these have little idea what they're talking about.   And Nobody has pointed out the flaws in the picks.   

So,  when a poster comes along and says....    "I've seen this player taken this high by some websites..."    it's just not saying very much.      There's far more bad information out there than there is good information....

Just because somebody has a website and puts down an opinion,  doesn't mean they have any idea what they're talking about.

But, then again,  I've been accused of being an ESPN fan boy!     :thmup:

I like the Cyprien pick but only if we trade down and he's there in the 2nd, not enough starters. I don't think any of these would start straight away

Hey, Dwight Freeney picked at No.11 did not start till a few games into the season in 2002.

My issue is if they do not get into the starting line up at some point during the season.

Pass rushers, safeties and defensive linemen, it is mighty hard to start right away.

RBs, CBs, WRs, OTs, it is easier to start right away and I think that would be in the right order, IMO

1. TRADE

2. Warford G

3. Cory Lemonier LB or Jon Bostic LB

3. DaRick Rogers WR or Chris Harper WR

4. Tyrann Mathieu CB or DJ Swearinger LS

6. Kyle Jusczyck FB

7. Ontario McCalebb RB

I like your round 2 thru 4 picks alot...but out of the two problem children, Mathieu and Rogers, I'd prefer Rogers alot more. If he quits getting stoned he could be a real steal in the 3rd round.

I'm not against the FB and RB picks but they could slip into UFA availability.

I like your round 2 thru 4 picks alot...but out of the two problem children, Mathieu and Rogers, I'd prefer Rogers alot more. If he quits getting stoned he could be a real steal in the 3rd round.

I'm not against the FB and RB picks but they could slip into UFA availability.

Yeah...I like the FB pick-up because of our use of our best TE, Allen, being over-used in the trenches.  He is going to be a good TE for a long time... McCalebb reminds me of a lite version of Darren Sproles.  Another wildcard would be Ray Ray Armstrong FS 6'4 220...

I like the trade down to the very late 1st round, or early 2nd round, and pick up a 4th round pick.  In that case, my draft looks like this:

late 1st/early 2nd round pick:   Arthur Brown LB or DeAndre Hopkins WR or Jesse Williams DE or John Cyprien S  (in that order of availability)

3rd round:  Markus Wheaton WR or Da'Rick Rogers WR or Jordan Poyer CB  (I do not like Chris Harper here) (If Hopkins is first pick, then not a WR here obviously)

4th round:  Brian Schwenke C-G or Brian Winters G or Hugh Thornton G  (lots of good value in the OL in the 4th round area)

4th round:  Knile Davis RB (some have him going in the 3rd round) or Michael Buchanan OLB (nice rush linebacker) or Nick Becton OT

6th round: Anthony McCloud NG or John Boyett S

7th round: Lenentee McCrary OLB or Micah Hyde S or Mike James RB  (two of them since we have 2 7th rounders)

lol... Did anyone HONESTLY have Markus Wheaton in your own mock drafts prior to this? And Colin Klein in the 7th? What is bleacher report smoking? I'm pretty sure Harnish could play that pistol/read behind Andrew if we decide to throw in a couple of those in the playbook (which I hope we don't). The ONLY pick I like is Cyprien, but I think we go a different route in the first. I'd prefer a trade down, and picking up a 2nd, 3rd, and hopefully a 5th. 

My wishlist in this scenario:

2. Larry Warford - OG

3. Brandon Jenkins - OLB

3. Da'Rick Rogers - WR

4. Brian Schwenke - OG/C

5. Duke Williams - S

6. Ray Graham - RB

7. Kyle Juszczyk - FB

7. Quinn Sharp - K/P

If we trade down into the early 2nd from the 24th pick, we had better get a lot more than just a 4th round pick. I think the ideal scenario would be a 5th round pick in 2013 and a 2nd round pick in 2014.

I am not sure why everyone is so fond of Larry Warford. We need a wide receiver badly. If we trade back, there is a chance that we can get DeAndre Hopkins although I feel that Quinton Patton is a more realistic option. Patton seems to be Wayne 2.0.

I agree 100% that the 4th round should provide some value at the offensive line position. If Brian Winters is there, I really hope he is the selection since he played OT in college and could provide depth at the right tackle position given Cherilus' balky knee while at the same time competing with a healing Ijalana and the newly acquired Thomas for a OG spot.

I like the trade down to the very late 1st round, or early 2nd round, and pick up a 4th round pick.  In that case, my draft looks like this:

late 1st/early 2nd round pick:   Arthur Brown LB or DeAndre Hopkins WR or Jesse Williams DE or John Cyprien S  (in that order of availability)

3rd round:  Markus Wheaton WR or Da'Rick Rogers WR or Jordan Poyer CB  (I do not like Chris Harper here) (If Hopkins is first pick, then not a WR here obviously)

4th round:  Brian Schwenke C-G or Brian Winters G or Hugh Thornton G  (lots of good value in the OL in the 4th round area)

4th round:  Knile Davis RB (some have him going in the 3rd round) or Michael Buchanan OLB (nice rush linebacker) or Nick Becton OT

6th round: Anthony McCloud NG or John Boyett S

7th round: Lenentee McCrary OLB or Micah Hyde S or Mike James RB  (two of them since we have 2 7th rounders)

I think you need to get picks in 2013.  You can start harvesting draft choices for later years when you are already a team that is stacked, the Colts are not in that position yet.  The tradedown scenario from the 24th pick to the late 1st or early 2nd round, would either yield a 4th round pick, or possibly a 3rd rounder.  Maybe a 4th round pick and a 6th rounder.   Maybe a 3rd rounder and a 6th rounder.  You're not going to tradedown to the 2nd, and get another 2nd round pick, that is too big of a price for the other team involved.

Whatever the tradedown yields, it will put the overall Colts draft in a better situation, since as of right now, we don't have a 2nd or a 5th.  Which would mean we only get 3 players (1st, 3rd, 4th) in the first 5 rounds of the draft.  We need to get 4 players in the first 5 rounds (at least).

Besides the trade down from the 1st to the early 2nd, I also think we should pick up an extra 4th rounder this year from a team that has a lot of picks, and give them our 3rd round pick in 2014 for it.   I'm sure San Fran would do that, as they have 14 picks, and only possibly 7 picks would actually make the team, so they need to get rid of some of the picks this year, and load some picks on for 2014. 

If we do both of those things we get 5 players in the first 5 rounds, instead of just 3 players.