Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gosder Cherilus: How He Fits

atapcl

It has been stated that PFF had Cherilus rated as the second best RT in football for the 2012 season. He had is best year as a Lion. He is still young and I don't believe he was just playing for a contract last season. He will be a vocal leader for the OL this year like Redding was for the defense last year. In college he played both LT and RT and he remained friends with Costonzo after he graduated. Adding Gosder allows Costanzo to continue to develop as a LT. Bringing in a LT and moving Costonzo to RT would have slowed down his development. Gosder is also a good communicator on the line and will help in identifying blitzers. Gosder also has a mean streak which comes in handy in getting physical in the run game which should make Pep happy. Hopefully this means we finally get a RB who will have a 1200 yard rushing season.

I think I heard something where some people did a large scale study of NFL players and their production in their contract years and found that over a large sample size of NFL players they really don't become suddenly more productive in their contract year.  

And I mean it makes sense.  I'd have a hard time believing that a football player could get this far only caring about money so that he slacks off until the final year of his contract and then starts trying hard.  Sure they want all the money they can get, who wouldn't.  But players get this far because they care about football a lot and want to win.  I have a hard time believing that suddenly goes away when they start getting paid.  

I have an even harder time believing that when you look at how much they get paid during the playoffs and the Superbowl.  For most players who are making millions, they get paid beans for the playoffs and the superbowl in comparison to the base salary they take home during the regular season.  Have you ever heard a player who decided to sit it out when the playoffs came because the check wasn't big enough??

Of course by probability some players are going to have breakout years when their contract comes up.  And so fans see this and decide it must be because his contract is up and he suddenly started caring a lot more.  I don't believe that.  It doesn't happen over a large sample of NFL players, and you just don't make it this far in football by not caring.  They all had to care a lot when they where in high school and college and not getting paid anything.  That doesn't go away just cause they start getting money for it.  

Besides many of them have made enough money that if they didn't care they could just quit and be set for life.  (Presuming they saved responsibly.)

atap....He's a better run blocker than pass blocker?

At Boston College his reputation was based on his run blocking skills. At Detroit he worked hard on his pass blocking skills because of the system Detroit played. Grigson liked him because of his mean streak and his willingness to work hard on his weaknesses.

I think I heard something where some people did a large scale study of NFL players and their production in their contract years and found that over a large sample size of NFL players they really don't become suddenly more productive in their contract year.  

And I mean it makes sense.  I'd have a hard time believing that a football player could get this far only caring about money so that he slacks off until the final year of his contract and then starts trying hard.  Sure they want all the money they can get, who wouldn't.  But players get this far because they care about football a lot and want to win.  I have a hard time believing that suddenly goes away when they start getting paid.  

I have an even harder time believing that when you look at how much they get paid during the playoffs and the Superbowl.  For most players who are making millions, they get paid beans for the playoffs and the superbowl in comparison to the base salary they take home during the regular season.  Have you ever heard a player who decided to sit it out when the playoffs came because the check wasn't big enough??

Of course by probability some players are going to have breakout years when their contract comes up.  And so fans see this and decide it must be because his contract is up and he suddenly started caring a lot more.  I don't believe that.  It doesn't happen over a large sample of NFL players, and you just don't make it this far in football by not caring.  They all had to care a lot when they where in high school and college and not getting paid anything.  That doesn't go away just cause they start getting money for it.  

Besides many of them have made enough money that if they didn't care they could just quit and be set for life.  (Presuming they saved responsibly.)

Albert Haynesworth