Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bullitt, A Far Cry From The Eraser

chrisfarley

Reviewed the game twice. Melvin Bullitt was atrocious on multiple occasions. I don't get it, I thought he was one of our better players. Also, his tackling leaves a LOT to be desired. I was watching some of the San Diego game and did see Bob Sanders cut a few people down with his patented knee erasers. Yes, he also got an unfavorable assignment in trying to keep Gronkowski and the other TE from catching TD's but he is too short to do anything about that.

Reviewed the game twice. Melvin Bullitt was atrocious on multiple occasions. I don't get it, I thought he was one of our better players. Also, his tackling leaves a LOT to be desired. I was watching some of the San Diego game and did see Bob Sanders cut a few people down with his patented knee erasers. Yes, he also got an unfavorable assignment in trying to keep Gronkowski and the other TE from catching TD's but he is too short to do anything about that.

How many weeks do think he will play though?

How many weeks do think he will play though?

I think he will try to stay out of trouble by being smart and not throwing around his body like he used to. If you saw the SD game, you could see that, and I think he simply has to adjust his game that way. I can already hear ppl, NO, THATS not the way he plays, he's all out, all the time. Well, just watch the SD vs. PATS game, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

No but he is a serviceable starter and Bethea is our playmaker. We've always had 1 guy to simply try to be a solid starter alongside a guy who is a playmaker. Originally it was Sanders and Mike Doss. Due to injuries in Bethea's rookie year he was thrust into the starting lineup and we started to realize what a diamond in the rough we found in him. I hoped we could wind up with 2 big playmakers at safety but Sanders wasn't able to stay healthy. Even if he had however, at some point we'd have likely had to part ways with one of them. The simple fact is you can't have a big time playmaker at every position due to cap restrictions. You have to accept that some positions are going to be filled with guys who you simply want to see solid play from.

I'm also not convinced that Bullitt is the long-term answer at SS but it simply hasn't been a glaring enough need yet so they haven't made finding a replacement a priority and unless one of the more talented safeties fall to us in a later round then I don't think it gets addressed this year either and rightfully so. As much as I like what I've seen so far from guys like Robert Lester and Mark Barron, and as much as I'm intrigued by the possibility of TJ McDonald of USC (who has spent the past 2 years learning a somewhat more basic form of the defense we run from USC DC Monte Kiffin) I think there are bigger needs than upgrading Bullitt.

I think he will try to stay out of trouble by being smart and not throwing around his body like he used to. If you saw the SD game, you could see that, and I think he simply has to adjust his game that way. I can already hear ppl, NO, THATS not the way he plays, he's all out, all the time. Well, just watch the SD vs. PATS game, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I wish he would have learned that as a Colt.

Good for him. I haven't seen the Chargers play yet this season.

Melvin is not as good as a former Defensive Player of the Year? You are the master of the obvious. lol

Nobody doubts how great Bob is when he is healthy. The problem with Bob was he just could not stay healthy and that is the only reason he is gone.

Melvin is a solid back up that is forced into a starter role because the starter could not stay healthy and we had to part ways. He is just not the long term answer there at SS.

This thread is from the 'asking too much' department...

He cost us a touchdown...

Andy, see oldunclemark's reply. ;) If you expect 200 lb Bullitt to make a TD saving tackle against a 250 lb power runner like Hillis then your expectations are very unrealistic.

Your absolutly right i expect that. Thats the job of the SS and if he doesnt make that tackle then he ISNT DOIN HIS JOB...PERIOD

The only safety I can think of quickly off the top of my head that makes a tackle 1 on 1 even semi-consistently against a power back like Hillis is Troy Polamalu. Bob Sanders would bounce off of Hillis and probably get hurt. Sanders' MO is hitting the runner hard and simply knocking him down. Polamalu would go low on Hillis and wrap the legs and Polamalu has the strength to do it.

I'm not saying that Bullitt is our long-term solution at SS. I AM saying however that he's been getting a bad wrap lately because of that one play and that simply isn't fair. He's been a solid starter for us...not a huge playmaker and not great, but solid and a lot of that is being overlooked because he didn't make a play that, imo, is unreasonable to EXPECT him to make.

Andy, see oldunclemark's reply. ;) If you expect 200 lb Bullitt to make a TD saving tackle against a 250 lb power runner like Hillis then your expectations are very unrealistic.

IM talking about the TD we're he completely forgot about his man in the back of the endzone, and he caught the pass. The Hillis run is not his fault...

Bullitt lead the team with 11 tackles. Even some nice run stuffs, but his coverage game is suspect. He'll catch a INT if it bounces his way but I haven't seen him break up a pass yet this year. I could be wrong though

Bullit is not the best tackler... lacey also had alot of tackles in the browns game but that didnt mean much... I never liked bullit because of his tackling... i think both caldwell and lefeged are better than him.

Bullitt is one of the better strong side safeties in the league. He has good knowledge and good tackling skills, but like someone else said, the only guy who could possibly tackle Hillis on a semi-consistent basis is Troy Polamalu.

That is not true at all bullit does not have good tackling skills at all, and you should watch the game again lacey tackled hillis all by himself in the game.

IM talking about the TD we're he completely forgot about his man in the back of the endzone, and he caught the pass. The Hillis run is not his fault...

Ah ok, that was my bad. I obviously thought you were talking about the Hillis run. Sorry bout that. :)

As for that TD catch, I honestly don't remember it well enough to say conclusively who's fault it was, but I remember at the time thinking it was kind of a combo let down by both Powers and Bullitt. Could be wrong though.

i think i was one of the few people who mention he played horrible. No one had mention him until i mention him on the good,bad and ugly thread.

edit: how isnt hillis td not his fault he broke his arm tackle and he took a poor angle to the line. if lacey and powers took hillis down im sure bullit could too and hes bigger than lacey and powers

It didn't need to be a touchdown-saving tackle. He crashed too far to the inside and let Hillis get outside his shoulder and run through an arm tackle. It's an issue of playing his assignment better. And yes, Melvin Bullitt ought to be able to stop Peyton Hillis from running for 24 yards and a touchdown on first and 10. I don't need him to wipe the man off the field, but he could hold up him and wait for his teammates, or he could give him a form tackle and maybe surrender two or three yards. His job was to contain to the outside, and he failed to do that, not because he's outmatched against Hillis, but because he missed his assignment.

edit: how isnt hillis td not his fault he broke his arm tackle and he took a poor angle to the line. if lacey and powers took hillis down im sure bullit could too and hes bigger than lacey and powers

I don't remember Powers taking Hillis down 1 on 1. Definitely not saying it didn't happen but I don't remember the specific play. I do remember the Lacy play and I guess here is where we simply have a different level of expectation. For me personally, no way I expect Lacey to make that play either. The fact that he did was great and I consider that an exceptional play on his part but still not one I expect him to be able to make on a regular basis. Regardless of what the differences are in levels of expectation, I'd want to find a way to make sure our DB's don't have to try to take on the big power backs in the league 1 on 1 if for no other reason than I don't want them to get hurt. We're weak enough in the secondary as it is...don't need it to get any worse. lol

It didn't need to be a touchdown-saving tackle. He crashed too far to the inside and let Hillis get outside his shoulder and run through an arm tackle. It's an issue of playing his assignment better. And yes, Melvin Bullitt ought to be able to stop Peyton Hillis from running for 24 yards and a touchdown on first and 10. I don't need him to wipe the man off the field, but he could hold up him and wait for his teammates, or he could give him a form tackle and maybe surrender two or three yards. His job was to contain to the outside, and he failed to do that, not because he's outmatched against Hillis, but because he missed his assignment.

Ok here's my take on it and this is simply my perspective of the play....normally I would say you're right and regardless he does need to work on technique and the other things you mentioned. For that specific play though I just don't think it would have mattered. The LB's and DL were all clogged in the middle because of the heavy run blitz that was called. I don't want to say, but can't remember for sure, that Bethea was close to the LOS on the other side of all that mess to. So all that said I don't know that Bullitt would have been able to hold up Hillis long enough for help to get there. It would have been nice if Bullitt could have done a better job so the other guys would have had a chance to get there to help but I really don't think it would have mattered because there was simply too much clutter. That's why, in the end, I simply chalk that play up to..we took a risk and sent a heavy blitz and we got beat.

I don't remember Powers taking Hillis down 1 on 1. Definitely not saying it didn't happen but I don't remember the specific play. I do remember the Lacy play and I guess here is where we simply have a different level of expectation. For me personally, no way I expect Lacey to make that play either. The fact that he did was great and I consider that an exceptional play on his part but still not one I expect him to be able to make on a regular basis. Regardless of what the differences are in levels of expectation, I'd want to find a way to make sure our DB's don't have to try to take on the big power backs in the league 1 on 1 if for no other reason than I don't want them to get hurt. We're weak enough in the secondary as it is...don't need it to get any worse. lol

I agree with this. Lacey didn't go straight up with Hillis, he caught him after a catch and up-ended him. Great play, but it's not exactly like he stopped Hillis in the middle of a downhill run.

Ok here's my take on it and this is simply my perspective of the play....normally I would say you're right and regardless he does need to work on technique and the other things you mentioned. For that specific play though I just don't think it would have mattered. The LB's and DL were all clogged in the middle because of the heavy run blitz that was called. I don't want to say, but can't remember for sure, that Bethea was close to the LOS on the other side of all that mess to. So all that said I don't know that Bullitt would have been able to hold up Hillis long enough for help to get there. It would have been nice if Bullitt could have done a better job so the other guys would have had a chance to get there to help but I really don't think it would have mattered because there was simply too much clutter. That's why, in the end, I simply chalk that play up to..we took a risk and sent a heavy blitz and we got beat.

If Bullitt plays his assignment right and gets run right over, fine. He's outmatched, obviously, by 50 pounds. That's a horse of a different color. As it is, however, Bullitt misplayed his assignment, allowing Hillis to run through an arm tackle for a touchdown. I'm not asking Bullitt to flatten Hillis at the goalline. I'm asking him to be where he's supposed to be and give himself a chance to slow the man down, maybe even make the tackle. And then, the 24 yards to the endzone aren't free and clear, because the rest of the defense has a chance to get to the ball carrier. Slow him down just a little bit, and it's a different story. But even if it's not, even if Bullitt is where he's supposed to be and Hillis scores anyway, then credit goes to Hillis for being a powerful, downhill runner, just like we know he is. The difference is that we had been slowing him down for an average of less than 3ypc to that point, mostly by staying in our lanes, not by making great tackles. Even with the inside blitz, Bullitt had a chance to make a play, and took himself out of it by going too far to the inside.

He is certainly no starter and I don't think he is a perfect fit for our system, which requires safeties that can tackle well, but he is a serviceable guy who is decent. Honestly, we don't have anyone better to play SS than him right now

true, we don't. which is why i wish we still had Bob Sanders. he's a game changer (when 100%), which he is right now.

true, we don't. which is why i wish we still had Bob Sanders. he's a game changer (when 100%), which he is right now.

yeah but how long will that last? Bob Sanders is a great safety when he's healthy, but he couldn't stay healthy. Personally, I thought we waited a year (or 2) too long to cut ties with him. If he's able to stay healthy now and make an impact on a new team, well yeah it sucks but I'm still glad they let him go because it was too much of a risk.

Unless they could have gotten him to sign a contract that paid him based on a per game played basis. :D

Are you high?

I was thinking the exact same thing. I don't see how people are defending Bullitt...he was pretty bad last year and has looked even worse this year. He is a solid back-up/role player not a starter. He never has been good at tackling, and continues to prove that every week. And YES, he should have stopped Hillis on that TD run. It's his job/assignment to do so.

That is ludicrous. Don't want them to make plays they are assigned to make because you don't want them to get hurt? Really? He's a NFL starting SS...he should be able and expected to tackle a RB.

That is ludicrous. Don't want them to make plays they are assigned to make because you don't want them to get hurt? Really? He's a NFL starting SS...he should be able and expected to tackle a RB.

man....whatever. I didn't say I wouldn't want them to make the tackle if they're in the position where they need to do so....but I'd much rather it be my LB's than my CB's.

Bullitt lead the team with 11 tackles. Even some nice run stuffs, but his coverage game is suspect. He'll catch a INT if it bounces his way but I haven't seen him break up a pass yet this year. I could be wrong though

Pat Angerer leads the team with 21 tackles. Bullitt is behind several others including Lacey, Bethea, and Connor.

weren't you the same guy that last year praised Bullitt and how great of a job he has done filling in for Bob?

ridiculous to see same people who said great things about him now bashing him.

lacey makes a lot of tackles because his man catches the ball for yardage

word is lacey might be close to losing his job, well not really but there is a fire that is well lit under his behind.... i wouldnt be surprised if tryon or thomas gets to see playing time in his spot

I was hoping he would restructure, but it didn't happen. I've only seen him in the Chargers-Pats game and from what I noticed, his playing style seems far less aggressive to me than it did when he was in Indy.