Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton's Career Salary Cap Hits

19colt

After this, I'm done.

Brady's first contract was to expire after the 2002 season. Prior to that season, with one year left on his contract, he reached terms on a five year, $32.5m contract extension. He did NOT play his first contract out; he was extended prior to reaching free agency.

His second contract was to expire after the 2006 season. Prior to the 2005 season, with two years left on his contract, he reached terms on a six year, $60m contract extension. He did NOT play his second contract out; he was extended prior to reaching free agency.

His third contract was set to expire after the 2014 season. Prior to the 2013 season, with two years left on his contract, he reached terms on the extension we've been talking about lately. He did NOT play his third contract out; he was extended prior to free agency.

Brady has never -- NOT EVER -- played an entire contract out.

I apolgize. I had the first extension wrong. I thought it might have been more than the 4 mil for more years but I could not remember. But really man, you are arguing semantics big time. Of course the Pats are going to extend him before the final 1 or 2 years of the deal because they would never let him hit FA. It is not like he was pounding on their door in year 2 of a contract like Revis asking to be paid more. The point is he has been playing the majority of his career under market value. I still get over the fact that he played for a little ove 6 mil with three SB rings. Mind boggling. And then he takes only 10 mil/year for 5 years after that. I mean your own numbers don't lie about how much he has played under market value.  What on earth would suggest that if he is still playing well in 2015 that he would not still be paid well under market value? You still have not answered that and that has been the whole point? 

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So do you think we sign two offensive linemen and either a safety or a pass rusher or one offensive linemen and a safety and a pass rusher. I'm figuring 3 good free agents will be signed. Do you think a CB coud also be in the mix ? This is really neat having all this money to spend around the best young QB in the league.

Awesome.

I'd love it if we grabbed Levitre and Vasquez, but I bet we only sign one high caliber lineman. Maybe a second lower tier guy, but I expect one of either of those two. Or I hope, I should say.

So I would expect a lineman, a safety and a pass rusher. That would be my target.

I'm not that excited about the cornerback class as it currently stands. Some of the guys I would take on the right deal, like Gamble or Grimes. But I don't think the rest are going to be worth the money they'll demand, or either they're headaches (DRC). Chris Houston, maybe... So if we re-sign Powers and draft a corner, then I think we'd be okay.

Good thing is that the draft is riddled with good prospects at cornerback and offensive line. I'd think it strange if we don't have a tackle and a corner in the fold by the end of the weekend.

My primary free agent targets would be Levitre or Vasquez, Goldson or Moore, Kruger or Spencer. Secondary targets would be Gamble/Grimes/Houston/Gay at corner, Barwin/Wheeler/Phillips at pass rusher, LaRon Landry at safety.

I apolgize I had the first extension wrong. I thought it might have been more than the 4 mil for more years but I could not remember. But really man, you are arguing semantics big time. Of course the Pats are going to extend him before the final 1 or 2 years of the deal because they would never let him hit FA. It is not like he was pounding on their door in year 2 of a contract like Revis asking to be paid more. The point is he has been playing the majority of his career under market value. I still get over the fact that he played for a little ove 6 mil with three SB rings. Mind boggling. And then he takes only 10 mil/year for 5 years after that. I mean your own numbers don't lie about how much he has played under market value.  What on earth would suggest that if he is still playing well in 2015 that he would not still be paid well under market value? You still have not answered that and that has been the whole point? . 

250px-The_fonz_thumbs_up.jpg

Awesome.

I'd love it if we grabbed Levitre and Vasquez, but I bet we only sign one high caliber lineman. Maybe a second lower tier guy, but I expect one of either of those two. Or I hope, I should say.

So I would expect a lineman, a safety and a pass rusher. That would be my target.

I'm not that excited about the cornerback class as it currently stands. Some of the guys I would take on the right deal, like Gamble or Grimes. But I don't think the rest are going to be worth the money they'll demand, or either they're headaches (DRC). Chris Houston, maybe... So if we re-sign Powers and draft a corner, then I think we'd be okay.

Good thing is that the draft is riddled with good prospects at cornerback and offensive line. I'd think it strange if we don't have a tackle and a corner in the fold by the end of the weekend.

My primary free agent targets would be Levitre or Vasquez, Goldson or Moore, Kruger or Spencer. Secondary targets would be Gamble/Grimes/Houston/Gay at corner, Barwin/Wheeler/Phillips at pass rusher, LaRon Landry at safety.

I read that Landry is the one guy the Jets wanted to hold on to despite their cap problems. I think we seem to agree that we shouldn't blow our brains out on a top CB. Maybe if Cason or Jenkins are cheap , we might go that way ?

I read that Landry is the one guy the Jets wanted to hold on to despite their cap problems. I think we seem to agree that we shouldn't blow our brains out on a top CB. Maybe if Cason or Jenkins are cheap , we might go that way ?

Cason seems more like a nickelback to me. I'd rather have him than Powers, but I think he'd cost more. Jenkins was considered a solid #2, but didn't he struggle a bit last year? I'd take either of them at the right price.

I don't think we should break the bank on someone like Cary Williams. I'm torn on Keenan Lewis and Sean Smith. If Talib somehow reaches free agency, I'd be all over it, but would want to build some safeties into his contract.

Cason seems more like a nickelback to me. I'd rather have him than Powers, but I think he'd cost more. Jenkins was considered a solid #2, but didn't he struggle a bit last year? I'd take either of them at the right price.

I don't think we should break the bank on someone like Cary Williams. I'm torn on Keenan Lewis and Sean Smith. If Talib somehow reaches free agency, I'd be all over it, but would want to build some safeties into his contract.

Totally agree on Williams. Corners that want 8-10 mill per year have to be better than that guy. I think we should resign Butler , draft or sign a good SS and maybe the #2 CB will be Powers or a cheap FA. 

1. Plenty of guys - plenty - had 4000 yard seasons in Montana's era. This isn't Slingin' Sammy Baugh's days we're talking about. His contemporaries were Marino, Elway, Kelly... guys who put up multiple 4000-yard seasons. And you missed the point anyway. What were people saying about multi-MVP-winner Manning prior to 2006? "Great regular season QB, not the guy you want in the playoffs though." And at the time it was warranted.

Your entire argument for Brady being the inferior QB in those years is based on statistics. I'm simply pointing out that the man generally regarded as the GOAT (Montana) has some fairly pedestrian numbers, when you get right down to it.

2. Favre is in the top 10 QBs of all time. Any higher than that is a stretch. He holds records because of longevity more than anything else. Credit him for that, but Favre is not even in the discussion if you peel it back to the top 5 ever.

3. This discussion won't go very far if you refuse to acknowledge facts.

1. Jim Kelly never threw over 4000 yards. John Elway only threw over 4000 yards once and it was only by 30 yards. If Marino had won at least 1 ring maybe there would be more people who would say he was better than Montana.  

2. Favre is in a rare category of being a 3 time MVP and he did that before 2000. He also did win a superbowl. Longevity is definitely a quality that adds to your legacy, although he does have those negative records like most int's because of it. Trying to rank the top 5 or top 10 is impossible to do fairly because people hold importance on different things. I'm sure there are many people that would say they think Favre is the GOAT.

3. This discussion won't go very far if you can't comprehend what you're replying to. Someone else claimed that Brady took a 30% cut in 2005 when it's already been proven that 30% number was clearly about his current contract.

There is a difference between restructuring which Brady has also done several times, 5 total I believe and taken an undermarket contract which Brady has done twice. He also did in 2005, took 10 mil a year for six years while Manning was being paid between 13-14 as the highest paid QB in the league.

Still though I would be interested in Manning's cap numbers if someone has them.

very true.

Manning's cap numbers were the highest:)  But you had to do it.

1. Jim Kelly never threw over 4000 yards. John Elway only threw over 4000 yards once and it was only by 30 yards. If Marino had won at least 1 ring maybe there would be more people who would say he was better than Montana.  

2. Favre is in a rare category of being a 3 time MVP and he did that before 2000. He also did win a superbowl. Longevity is definitely a quality that adds to your legacy, although he does have those negative records like most int's because of it. Trying to rank the top 5 or top 10 is impossible to do fairly because people hold importance on different things. I'm sure there are many people that would say they think Favre is the GOAT.

3. This discussion won't go very far if you can't comprehend what you're replying to. Someone else claimed that Brady took a 30% cut in 2005 when it's already been proven that 30% number was clearly about his current contract.

First, no one believes Favre is the GOAT not with one ring and the most INTs in the history of football. I have never ever seen one writer, analyst or even most devout fan call him the GOAT. You are really reaching big time with that claim.

Second, rings command higher contracts than stats. I think Flacco just proved that without a shadow of a doubt. No 4,000 yards season, no pro bowls, no seasons in which he threw for more than 25 TDs. He is a middle of the pack QB statstically who had one of the post-seasons ever and just got the biggest NFL contract in history. Brady had three rings and a perfect 9-0 post-season in 2005. He could have commanded any salary he wanted.

Third, I think you mis-read King's article. Here is is again. He has consistently been saying all week on the radio that Brady took a 50 percent market value discount with his new three year extension and 30 percent discount back in 2005.  http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130225/tom-brady-new-england-patriots-contract/index.html

Here are the key quotes for you:

"For the second time in his illustrious career, Brady is doing something players in this day and age simply do not do: As he did in 2005, Brady, a league source told SI.com, is signing a contract with New England that will pay him significantly less money than the market will bear, in large part to help the Patriots stay competitive for the next five seasons. Amazingly, according to the source, the deal is for an eye-poppingly conservative $27 million, which is less than half his worth by any measure."

Here is King's quote from Brady's deal in 2005:

"At a time when the growing market for quarterbacks pegs the average per year at about $20 million -- Drew Brees and Peyton Manning are there, and it's likely Super Bowl champ Joe Flacco will be there soon -- Brady's average over the next six years will be consistently about 30 percent lower. [King is referencing his 2005 deal which was for six years not his current deal which is a three year extension].

I mean it is not hard to the math. Brady took 10 mil when Manning was getting 14.2 mil. That is approx. 30 percent. I actually believe he is taking more of a 50 percent discount this time as with Flacco's new deal and Rodgers coming up in two years. 9m a year will be much more than 50 percent in two years time.

Here is King's radio interview when he was on WEEI talking about Brady's deal, http://audio.weei.com/a/71516175/peter-king-si-on-brady-s-deal.htm

Within the first two minutes he references Brady's deal in 2005 and says it was 30-40 percent below market value at the time.

While, I can certainly appreciate your pride in your "favorite" player, and your desire to share  all the great things concerning him,    I don't quite understand your need to continue posting these things on our Colts Forum Board....   Why not discuss it on the Patriots Board, with others like yourself?   You are never going to change anyone's opinion on this board.     It gets to be quite exasperating  :sigh:

While, I can certainly appreciate your pride in your "favorite" player, and your desire to share  all the great things concerning him,    I don't quite understand your need to continue posting these things on our Colts Forum Board....   Why not discuss it on the Patriots Board, with others like yourself?   You are never going to change anyone's opinion on this board.     It gets to be quite exasperating  :sigh:

Is someone forcing you to come to this thread? I mean there are a 100 threads. I am not the only one posting here. And this has been a discussion about contracts, salaries as it pertains to QBs, not just Brady.

To answer your question, as to why I even happened upon this thread.......The TITLE of this Thread is "Peyton's Career Salary Cap"   Naturally, any threads that have Peyton's name in the TITLE get my attention.

The reason I stated that  I understand your Pride in Your favorite Player,  is because Peyton is my favorite player.  He is/was the reason I became so interested in football, and the Colts,  and the reason I joined this Board in the first place.    

At a time when the growing market for quarterbacks pegs the average per year at about $20 million -- Drew Brees and Peyton Manning are there, and it's likely Super Bowl champ Joe Flacco will be there soon -- Brady's average over the next six years will be consistently about 30 percent lower. [King is

Note how it is one sentence. Note how he includes Flacco who wasn't in the league in 2005. Note how he says over the next 6 years.

I don't know King that well, but it is becoming more apparent to me that he is a bad writer. In the radio interview he does say 30% about 2005. But there is no argument that he also says 30% about his current extension. Is it a coincidence or is King just getting his numbers mixed up? Either way you think a proffesional writer would be more clear.

Anyways, the more I've thought about it the more this is all ridiculous;

Brady never signed a new contract, he signed extensions. He signed when the Pats still had all the leverage (I believe he signed extensions when the Pats still had him locked up for more than a year as well, meaning even more leverage their way). We're trying to compare a contract like that to guys like Peyton, Brees, Flacco who all signed new contracts where they had all the leverage.

I agree. I think King got his numbers mixed up in the article. You would think someone, his editor would have caught that.

In 2005, Brady had three rings. He could have commanded any salary he wanted. I think what is remarkable is not just the 10 mil a year six year deal but the fact that he played under it for five seasons and within that time he had his historic 2007 season going almost perfect, a league MVP and then continued to have MVP caliber type seasons after that. I can't believe he never sat out and asked for more money during those years. I mean guys like Vick, Ryan, Russell were making a ton more than him.

And as I have stated before, I don't think any player should not try and get as much as he can. I think Brady's drive to win is at a crazy level. A lot like Jordan who did similar things with the Bulls during his tenure.

Note how it is one sentence. Note how he includes Flacco who wasn't in the league in 2005. Note how he says over the next 6 years.

I don't know King that well, but it is becoming more apparent to me that he is a bad writer. In the radio interview he does say 30% about 2005. But there is no argument that he also says 30% about his current extension. Is it a coincidence or is King just getting his numbers mixed up? Either way you think a proffesional writer would be more clear.

Anyways, the more I've thought about it the more this is all ridiculous;

Brady never signed a new contract, he signed extensions. He signed when the Pats still had all the leverage (I believe he signed extensions when the Pats still had him locked up for more than a year as well, meaning even more leverage their way). We're trying to compare a contract like that to guys like Peyton, Brees, Flacco who all signed new contracts where they had all the leverage.