Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton's Career Salary Cap Hits

19colt

How many MVP's did he win? He wasn't as valuable to the Patriots as you're making him out to be. Bledsoe got the team through the season for Brady's first superbowl. Plus Spygate.

TWO SB MVPs. Oh gosh. Let me educate you on 2001. Bledsoe began the year at 0-2 and then Brady took over and went 14-3 including a 9 game winning streak to end the season and SB MVP. In 2003-04 Brady won a record 21 games in a row en route to his second and third SBs and another SB MVP.

But let me throw this at you. Flacco is about to make 18-20 mil because of ONE SB and he has no pro bowls, no 4000 yard passing seasons and no seasons with even 30 TDs. A ring and a SB MVP put you at the top of the board my friend.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, you didn't start this thread, but you did take a swipe at Manning -- unnecessary and uninformed at that -- in the other thread. Please don't pretend that you haven't compared Manning and Brady on the basis of this new contract (or EVERYONE and Brady, for that matter).

As for whether Manning would ever do this kind of contract, I don't claim to know the future. I didn't think Brady would do this kind of contract at this juncture of his career. Good on him, but he's not as charitable as he's being made out to be in this whole deal. He's actually getting $3m more over the next two years, and then he'll have every opportunity to request a pay boost in 2015 when the cap starts going up again. Again, I don't know the future. Brady might play this contract out and never look back, and again, good on him. But this story isn't necessarily over yet.

And again, Manning took significantly less than he could have taken last year.

That is fair and I also apologized on the other thread as well. I am not sure why there is so much anger to be honest. What Brady did is unique and I did not expect it either. No one did. I don't think other Qbs should be held to his standard. It is not fair to them.

That is fair and I also apologized on the other thread as well. I am not sure why there is so much anger to be honest. What Brady did is unique and I did not expect it either. No one did. I don't think other Qbs should be held to his standard. It is not fair to them.

I guess Lebron is mother Theresa then. He took half of what the cavs could have paid him and he is in the prime of his career. All hail king James.

I guess Lebron is mother Theresa then. He took half of what the cavs could have paid him and he is in the prime of his career. All hail king James.

I loved what Lebron did but basketball is different. You don't have the injury concerns of football which is why I never fault a guy for taking the money when it is there in the NFL. For Brady to have done this twice in a sport where you are one play from it being over which was almost the case for him in 2008 is remarkable.

TWO SB MVPs. Oh gosh. Let me educate you on 2001. Bledsoe began the year at 0-2 and then Brady took over and went 14-3 including a 9 game winning streak to end the season and SB MVP. In 2003-04 Brady won a record 21 games in a row en route to his second and third SBs and another SB MVP.

But let me throw this at you. Flacco is about to make 18-20 mil because of ONE SB and he has no pro bowls, no 4000 yard passing seasons and no seasons with even 30 TDs. A ring and a SB MVP put you at the top of the board my friend.

Why is it that when "Brady's" doing all this, that the voters are giving Manning back-to-back MVPs? Oh yeah, because Brady was hardly considered MVP material back then. His team probably could have done it without him (and was proved by 11-5 in '08)

BTW Superbowl MVP's are not MVP's. Eli Manning has just as many as Brady and both against Brady.

I loved what Lebron did but basketball is different. You don't have the injury concerns of football which is why I never fault a guy for taking the money when it is there in the NFL. For Brady to have done this twice in a sport where you are one play from it being over which was almost the case for him in 2008 is remarkable.

Greg Oden disagrees with you

Why is it that when "Brady's" doing all this, that the voters are giving Manning back-to-back MVPs? Oh yeah, because Brady was hardly considered MVP material back then.

BTW Superbowl MVP's are not MVP's. Eli Manning has just as many as Brady and both against Brady.

FYI - Brees has never won league MVP and is the highest paid QB in the league and Flacco is going to be right behind him.

So Manning's market value is determined based on your opinion, but Brady's is based on what other top quarterbacks make. Seems unfair.

Manning had at least two teams willing to pay him top quarterback money, and potentially three or four others that never got the chance to talk about a contract. The Cardinals, Dolphins, Niners and Seahawks all wanted him as well. Maybe more than that. But that was all desperation.

Imagine if those desperate teams had the chance to start a real bidding war. What kind of offers might we have seen then?

The market determines value, not our opinion of what a player is worth. The market spoke on Manning, and it was well beyond what either you or I anticipated he'd get. But that's the market.

Brady's market value can only be based on what other QB's of the same caliber got on the open market, since Brady has never hit the market. To be fair, if he did hit the market I'd expect him to bring a $25 million offer from the titans as well, which only looks better for Brady considering he is taking a pay cut to substantially less than what Manning makes now.

Like I already said on Manning, his market value is skewed by merchandise and ticket sales to a lesser franchise. For a team like the Titan's it's OK to overpay for a player that will pay huge dividends when it comes to ticket and merchandise sales, and that is why it was easy for the Broncos to over-pay him too. It's pretty easy to give someone a lot of $$ and add on the potential for more with an incentive laden deal when you know the organization is going to rake in huge profits regardless just in ticket sales and merchandising. If it doesn't work out you can cut him, and you still made millions. That is why I don't respectfully count a team like that when considering his value. To me, the 19 million he made last season was his market value. That is what a real team offered him. The Titans would probably offer Joe Flacco, Eli Manning, and Ben Roethisberger 25 million too, but we shouldn't count that as their market value.

FYI - Brees has never won league MVP and is the highest paid QB in the league and Flacco is going to be right behind him.

Before Moss came to New England 2007, Brady's passing stats looked like;

Only 1 of 6 seasons he threw over 4000 yards.

He averages 24.5 TD's to 13 int's per season.

He never had a season with a QBR over 93.

That's why he was hardly considered an MVP player before Moss. Considering all the Patriot's feats that you gave to Brady, this really just adds to how strong of a defense/running game/coaching the Patriots had then. It's not good you try to give Brady all that credit when anyone who actually remembers those games knows it was a team effort.

Translation : Brady is a god, and it's not fair for other rank and file quarterbacks to be compared to his greatness. My theory is that he wants badly to win another Super Bowl to erase the legacy of taping that occured in prior Super Bowls. As Boston writer Bob Ryan so aptly pointed out , until the Patriots win another Super Bowl, fans will remain suspicious. As time is running out for Brady, and he has more money than he could ever spend,  I believe this is a legacy and PR move.

:agree:    I agree Susie.   And let me add... I don't understand the obsession with Football Players salaries...    Any way you look at it,  or spin it, or restructure it,  They still make a Ridiculous amount  of money $$,   Period.

Oh to have the problem on how to restructure my money. :funny: That would certainly be something that might keep me awake at night. :)  I agree I have always thought all professional sports players make more money than they could ever need and then some get into trouble because they can't handle all that money. :sigh:I will take my restructured monthly pay and live very well thank you. ;)

Thanks for the smile Gramz & Susie Q. No financial woes or worries...What a delightfully dreadful predicament...I always wanted to live on Easy Street myself.  :yahoo:

easy-street.jpg

Before Moss came to New England 2007, Brady's passing stats looked like;

Only 1 of 6 seasons he threw over 4000 yards.

He averages 24.5 TD's to 13 int's per season.

He never had a season with a QBR over 93.

That's why he was hardly considered an MVP player before Moss. Considering all the Patriot's feats that you gave to Brady, this really just adds to how strong of a defense/running game/coaching the Patriots had then. It's not good you try to give Brady all that credit when anyone who actually remembers those games knows it was a team effort.

This isn't about credit. The Pats as a team won those SBs. Brady did his part and so did the team. No debate there. The point here though is his money. As a three time SB champion it is not debatable at all to say he could not have demanded to be the highest paid QB. I mean Flacco right now with one ring is going to be right in line with Brees and ahead of Manning most likely. That is with ONE ring not THREE in four years with a perfect 10-0 post-season for a franchise that hadn't won one before his arrival. He took a 30 percent below market contract in 2005. That is a fact.

Translation : Brady is a god, and it's not fair for other rank and file quarterbacks to be compared to his greatness. My theory is that he wants badly to win another Super Bowl to erase the legacy of taping that occured in prior Super Bowls. As Boston writer Bob Ryan so aptly pointed out , until the Patriots win another Super Bowl, fans will remain suspicious. As time is running out for Brady, and he has more money than he could ever spend,  I believe this is a legacy and PR move.

Hello again sunshine. I wonder if folks here think you and I are the same poster? You post the Brady hate and then I respond with how great he is. I will spare the Colts fans my diatribe. Incidentally, no one in NE believes the Pats have to prove anything re:spygate that is just a belief that exists up here from haters and Bob Ryan who is viewed as a clown in Boston. Like I have said before, if going 16-0 and coming within the flukiest catch in SB history of going perfect was not enough combined with a better winning percentage after spygate and two SB appearances, another ring or two will not matter. Pats own spygate and we as fans just have to live with it and we do.

I totally agree it is a legacy move as he wants to win more rings. An interesting story for you about Brady which may help to shed some light on this contract. Teddy Bruschi shared a story somewhat recently that when the Patriots had won their third SB, Brady came up to him at the team celebration that night and said, Teddy we have a chance next year to get another one and be the only team to ever win three in a row. Teddy was like, hey man, we just got two in a row, let's enjoy them, ok? That is Tom Brady in a nutshell. He is driven like a mad man to win. Never satisfied. He often says "the next one" when asked what his favorite Super Bowl ring is.

To be honest, this contract he signed is the biggest win for Pats fans. Most of us were really hoping that Brady would end his career as a Patriot but given what happened to Manning, we know there are no guarantees especially with an org like NE that gets rid of players as soon as their value slides. I am stil stunned by this deal as much by Pats mgmt as Brady. Like I have said before, there is something special there between Brady and Kraft and Belichick. Brady never forgot that he was a sixth round pick that got to play ahead of Bledsoe, the franchise QB whom the team traded promptly after the SB. Brady has always appreciated the faith Belichick showed him from the get go and I think in response, Brady has said, I want to win and I trust you to take the money I left to put a contender around me. That is so rare in sports at any level. Make no mistake the fans are the biggest winners in all of this whether or not the Pats win another ring or not.

Hello again sunshine. I wonder if folks here think you and I are the same poster? You post the Brady hate and then I respond with how great he is. I will spare the Colts fans my diatribe. Incidentally, no one in NE believes the Pats have to prove anything re:spygate that is just a belief that exists up here from haters and Bob Ryan who is viewed as a clown in Boston. Like I have said before, if going 16-0 and coming within the flukiest catch in SB history of going perfect was not enough combined with a better winning percentage after spygate and two SB appearances, another ring or two will not matter. Pats own spygate and we as fans just have to live with it and we do.

I totally agree it is a legacy move as he wants to win more rings. An interesting story for you about Brady which may help to shed some light on this contract. Teddy Bruschi shared a story somewhat recently that when the Patriots had won their third SB, Brady came up to him at the team celebration that night and said, Teddy we have a chance next year to get another one and be the only team to ever win three in a row. Teddy was like, hey man, we just got two in a row, let's enjoy them, ok? That is Tom Brady in a nutshell. He is driven like a mad man to win. Never satisfied. He often says "the next one" when asked what his favorite Super Bowl ring is.

To be honest, this contract he signed is the biggest win for Pats fans. Most of us were really hoping that Brady would end his career as a Patriot but given what happened to Manning, we know there are no guarantees especially with an org like NE that gets rid of players as soon as their value slides. I am stil stunned by this deal as much by Pats mgmt as Brady. Like I have said before, there is something special there between Brady and Kraft and Belichick. Brady never forgot that he was a sixth round pick that got to play ahead of Bledsoe, the franchise QB whom the team traded promptly after the SB. Brady has always appreciated the faith Belichick showed him from the get go and I think in response, Brady has said, I want to win and I trust you to take the money I left to put a contender around me. That is so rare in sports at any level. Make no mistake the fans are the biggest winners in all of this whether or not the Pats win another ring or not.

This thread was about Peyton's Cap hits  and you bring the Brady thread into this one. WHY???  Haven't you praised him enough in the other thread?  All have seen how you are praising Brady but praise him in the correct thread. Personally I don't care what Brady has done with his salary.  Take your praise of the contract extension to the correct thread and keep this thread on the Peyton Cap Hits. In my opinion just because Brady did this doesn't mean they will win another SB they have been to two and got beat both times so it's no guarantee that they will win another. Since you brought up Spygate they haven't won a SB since that happened. Nuff said. :)

This thread was about Peyton's Cap hits  and you bring the Brady thread into this one. WHY???  Haven't you praised him enough in the other thread?  All have seen how you are praising Brady but praise him in the correct thread. Personally I don't care what Brady has done with his salary.  Take your praise of the contract extension to the correct thread and keep this thread on the Peyton Cap Hits. In my opinion just because Brady did this doesn't mean they will win another SB they have been to two and got beat both times so it's no guarantee that they will win another. Since you brought up Spygate they haven't won a SB since that happened. Nuff said. :)

I didn't start this thread, Earlyriser did and this is what he said in case you missed it:

Does anyone know how much Manning counted against the cap throughout his Colts career? I am aware that he had restructured numerous times as a Colt yet it wasn't painted as him being "incredibly unselfish" as is this move by Brady. After all Gisele makes $50 million a year and I believe Brady will still count as $14 million against the cap but the media is pretending it is less."

He or she brought Brady into this thread and specifically compared him to Brady regarding this deal wanting to know Manning's cap numbers. I have just been responding and if you bother to read the thread there has been some good debate back and forth. Again, I don't understand the sensitivities here. Last I checked, three threads in the past two days were started regarding Brady's contract and FAs they could sign and now this one on Manning. I started NONE of them. Perhaps you should scold your fellow Colts fans or other members of this site?

I didn't start this thread, Earlyriser did and this is what he said in case you missed it:

Does anyone know how much Manning counted against the cap throughout his Colts career? I am aware that he had restructured numerous times as a Colt yet it wasn't painted as him being "incredibly unselfish" as is this move by Brady. After all Gisele makes $50 million a year and I believe Brady will still count as $14 million against the cap but the media is pretending it is less."

He or she brought Brady into this thread and specifically compared him to Brady regarding this deal wanting to know Manning's cap numbers. I have just been responding and if you bother to read the thread there has been some good debate back and forth. Again, I don't understand the sensitivities here. Last I checked, three threads in the past two days were started regarding Brady's contract and FAs they could sign and now this one on Manning. I started NONE of them. Perhaps you should scold your fellow Colts fans or other members of this site?

My fellow Colts Fans don't run things into the ground like you have on the Brady thing.  I'm not scolding you just telling you I for one am tried of reading about Brady and thought for a minute I was on a Pats Forum with all the threads and replies from you about him.

:funny:

My fellow Colts Fans don't run things into the ground like you have on the Brady thing.  I'm not scolding you just telling you I for one am tried of reading about Brady and thought for a minute I was on a Pats Forum with all the threads and replies from you about him.

No threads from me. Just replies. Again, I didn't start them just responding. Am I not allowed to do that? And last i checked, I am not alone. If I counted the number of Brady replies from Colts folks it would more than triple mine.

That was for his benefit, not the "team" benefit. He wanted to play for a contender. It's silly to insinuate that he took a below market contract. He went to the Broncos, they paid him everything they could.

errr isnt Brady doing this for playing with a contender? whats the difference?

tahts the point..is not unique Manning also did it alraedy and Ben is about to...jsut because is not worded like he saved the franchise 23423423423423 million dollars and that he is a saint and robin hood on pants does not mean Ben is not doing it ...he is saving them around 5 million in cap space i believe? Manning could have taken MUCH more money from tennesseee and he could have gotten hurt the cap much more when he signed his last contract, you seem to forget he wanted that out clouse and that he restructure to help Diem retire a colt, resign AJ mookie, addai and clarck

I mean i Understand you are a fan of Brady and thats fine im a fan of Manning and luck :) you deffend your guy like i do mine but you are getting way blind here. he is not the only one.

How do you figure the Broncos paid him everything they could? They had a $27m cap carryover from 2011, a total of $45m in cap space in 2012. They go into 2013 with decent cap space. They could have paid Manning $25m/year if that's what his demand was. And the market is determined by what someone is willing to pay for your goods/services.

And isn't the reason Brady is agreeing to a lower than market contract because he wants to play for a contender? He wants the Patriots to be a contender, and recognizes that his new contract will help the team keep and acquire other good players, making his life easier. We're weighing the difference between the benefit of more money in the one player's pocket against the benefit of having a team that can afford to pay other players what they want. It's to Brady's benefit to take less the same as it was to Manning's to take less from the Broncos.

Agreed the bottom line is these to elite QB's wanna play for the team that gives them the best chance to get back to a SB & go out on top they already have all the money they need for them its all about the Lombardi & they realize there time at the top is about over its now or never .

Some make it seem like Brady is the first to sign a beneficial extension, while others want to make a case that  Manning is the only one that has fanfare or increased merchandise/tickets/etc..   Tunnel Vision with rose colored glasses.  What a combination.    (ooops...  I just violated my own rule,  I mentioned Both unmentionable names) :facepalm:  

I'm not angry. This is actually starting to amuse me.

Brady's market value can only be based on what other QB's of the same caliber got on the open market, since Brady has never hit the market. To be fair, if he did hit the market I'd expect him to bring a $25 million offer from the titans as well, which only looks better for Brady considering he is taking a pay cut to substantially less than what Manning makes now.

Like I already said on Manning, his market value is skewed by merchandise and ticket sales to a lesser franchise. For a team like the Titan's it's OK to overpay for a player that will pay huge dividends when it comes to ticket and merchandise sales, and that is why it was easy for the Broncos to over-pay him too. It's pretty easy to give someone a lot of $$ and add on the potential for more with an incentive laden deal when you know the organization is going to rake in huge profits regardless just in ticket sales and merchandising. If it doesn't work out you can cut him, and you still made millions. That is why I don't respectfully count a team like that when considering his value. To me, the 19 million he made last season was his market value. That is what a real team offered him. The Titans would probably offer Joe Flacco, Eli Manning, and Ben Roethisberger 25 million too, but we shouldn't count that as their market value.

Manning's market value has nothing to do with merchandise and ticket sales. The NFL has a hard salary cap that teams have to manage, despite what other revenues they might be receiving due to a player's presence or a winning culture. It's not baseball.

It's also interesting that the Titans weren't a real team because they were willing to pay more than you think they should have been. But you're also willing to assign to Brady a market value that was set by what you claim is not a real team, based on an offer that was made to Manning, not Brady. So Brady gets credit for not taking $25m, but Manning doesn't. Nice.

Your thoughts on this remind me of the Rabbi's line in Lucky Number Slevin: I live on both sides of the fence; my grass is always green.

While this is true to an extent, some Colts fans are almost constantly provoking AM into responding... I mean, you've got to concede at least that, right? ;)

AM just needs a little time to learn when someone is baiting him and when someone is just being a jack---.

LeBron didn't take half what the Cavs could have paid him. He took slightly less, enough so that the Heat could sign him and the other two. Eventually, the Cavs and Heat worked out a sign-and-trade so that LeBron got even closer to the same money he would have gotten in Cleveland, and the Cavs got a couple draft picks back. The Raptors did the same thing for Bosh.

Why would they pay someone who was coming off 4 neck surgeries 25 million per year? They paid him what they could and held back money for plan B. Just because Bud Adams was desperate enough to over pay Manning doesn't mean he took a below market contract, and as a matter of fact, for Manning's health when he signed the deal I think he was over-payed.

Brady's story is entirely different, he took less so his team could be better, his team already is a contender without the salary cut, he just wants it to me that much better. Manning took less because the team that offered more sucked, and wasn't a contender. It was the NYJ Tim Tebow effect with Adams, he just wanted Manning behind center because it would sell tickets and merchandise. He really didn't care about the team around him.

Just read your other posts:

so what? he still could have asked 25 millions from Denver. You are spinning an asumption from your part into holly truth. How do you know the Broncos wouldnt have agreed to the type of deal Adams gave?

and like I said, Manning did in his last conract, allowing Diem to retire a colt, addai 1 more year and Clark i believe ...you also proclaim the only reason Adams was willing to offer that money is for merchandise reasons...

As a three time SB champion it is not debatable at all to say he could not have demanded to be the highest paid QB.

When that QB has less than a 2:1 TD/INT ratio, struggles to throw 4000 yards, averages a passer rating under 90 it is heavily debatable. Actually it's the factual reason Brady wasn't considered a top QB. Brady knew the situation was best for him in New England so he stayed there and was one of the highest paid players in the league (even though you say he left 30% on the table.)

I mean Flacco right now with one ring is going to be right in line with Brees and ahead of Manning most likely. That is with ONE ring not THREE in four years with a perfect 10-0 post-season for a franchise that hadn't won one before his arrival. He took a 30 percent below market contract in 2005. That is a fact.

You're completely speculating on Flacco's next contract. Just because you hear media pundits saying he's going to be the top paid guy doesn't mean he actually will. I can almost guarantee that his % against the cap will be less than that of Manning, Brees, E. Manning etc. when they signed their latest contracts.

Also, could you actually provide me with the numbers that support your claim Brady took 30% less than market value in '05? I'm pretty sure you're talking complete bologne http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2054072 This article from 2005 actually says he's one of the NFL's highest paid. Also market value for Brady =/= Manning type money as Manning was undoubtedly the best QB in the game at the time and Brady was still being called a product of the system (which his passing stats support)

When that QB has less than a 2:1 TD/INT ratio, struggles to throw 4000 yards, averages a passer rating under 90 it is heavily debatable. Actually it's the factual reason Brady wasn't considered a top QB. Brady knew the situation was best for him in New England so he stayed there and was one of the highest paid players in the league (even though you say he left 30% on the table.)You're completely speculating on Flacco's next contract. Just because you hear media pundits saying he's going to be the top paid guy doesn't mean he actually will. I can almost guarantee that his % against the cap will be less than that of Manning, Brees, E. Manning etc. when they signed their latest contracts.

Also, could you actually provide me with the numbers that support your claim Brady took 30% less than market value in '05? I'm pretty sure you're talking complete bologne http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2054072 This article from 2005 actually says he's one of the NFL's highest paid. Also market value for Brady =/= Manning type money as Manning was undoubtedly the best QB in the game at the time and Brady was still being called a product of the system (which his passing stats support)

here is Peter King's article where he references the 2005 deal. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130225/tom-brady-new-england-patriots-contract/index.html

Kind has said at nauseam this week that Brady took about a 30 percent undermarket value in 2005 at 10 mil year compared to Manning's 14.2 mil. He could have easily commanded the 14.2 with three rings and two SB MVPs. And statstically speaking 2004/2005 were two of his best years compared to his first three so he was on the rise at that point to boot and completely justified in getting Manning type money. He was also 9-0 in the post-season at that point. Realistically, he could have gotten more than Manning if he wanted. With three rings, 2 SB MVPs, the check book was his to write.

We shall see on the Flacco deal. Either way, I promise you it will not be 30 percent lower than Brees or Manning.

While this is true to an extent, some Colts fans are almost constantly provoking AM into responding... I mean, you've got to concede at least that, right? ;)

AM just needs a little time to learn when someone is baiting him and when someone is just being a jack---.

You want us to concede that AM is the one being provoked? Second time recently you've astonished me in your defense of these conversations. She isn't exactly doing "you guys" any favors. More like dragging the concept of "Pats fans welcomed on the Colts board" backwards towards one of your beloved precipices. Hopefully your shoulder is feeling better.

No threads from me. Just replies. Again, I didn't start them just responding. Am I not allowed to do that?

Actually you've started eight threads. All divisive, two already locked, more probably should have been.

I am not sure why there is so much anger to be honest.

Said the Recluse to the herd of Horseflies (and Silent Hill).

When that QB has less than a 2:1 TD/INT ratio, struggles to throw 4000 yards, averages a passer rating under 90 it is heavily debatable. Actually it's the factual reason Brady wasn't considered a top QB. Brady knew the situation was best for him in New England so he stayed there and was one of the highest paid players in the league (even though you say he left 30% on the table.)You're completely speculating on Flacco's next contract. Just because you hear media pundits saying he's going to be the top paid guy doesn't mean he actually will. I can almost guarantee that his % against the cap will be less than that of Manning, Brees, E. Manning etc. when they signed their latest contracts.

He did take a below market contract back then. He was getting a pretty significant raise from his previous contract, so it's not like he was giving money back, and he certainly didn't take a pay cut. But he definitely could have gotten more than he did.

Bill Simmons wrote about this in a column a couple years ago, before Brady's previous extension. Brady left money on the table, assuming the Patriots would spend that money on other players. Meanwhile, Manning was one of the highest paid in the league. But the Patriots let important players walk in free agency (most notably Deion Branch), while the Colts kept their core in tact around Manning for several years and won a Super Bowl. It wasn't until 2007 that the Patriots actually started spending money, and it still didn't result in a Super Bowl.

So, for all this talk about the quarterback taking less, the fact remains that doing so doesn't guarantee that the team is going to be more successful. Brady's latest contract will definitely help the Patriots this offseason. But you could argue that it didn't help them in the past. If anything, it perpetuated the "Patriot Way," which might actually have cost the Patriots championships.