Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton's Career Salary Cap Hits

19colt

Does anyone know how much Manning counted against the cap throughout his Colts career?

I am aware that he had restructured numerous times as a Colt yet it wasn't painted as him being "incredibly unselfish" as is this move by Brady.

After all Gisele makes $50 million a year and I believe Brady will still count as $14 million against the cap but the media is pretending it is less. 

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know how much Manning counted against the cap throughout his Colts career?

I am aware that he had restructured numerous times as a Colt yet it wasn't painted as him being "incredibly unselfish" as is this move by Brady.

After all Gisele makes $50 million a year and I believe Brady will still count as $14 million against the cap but the media is pretending it is less. 

Someone said on Twitter yesterday that Manning's PR guys failed him. He never got the fanfare for restructuring his contract, although he did it several times. He never did what Brady just did, but he also never got $57m guaranteed.

Someone said on Twitter yesterday that Manning's PR guys failed him. He never got the fanfare for restructuring his contract, although he did it several times. He never did what Brady just did, but he also never got $57m guaranteed.

There is a difference between restructuring which Brady has also done several times, 5 total I believe and taken an undermarket contract which Brady has done twice. He also did in 2005, took 10 mil a year for six years while Manning was being paid between 13-14 as the highest paid QB in the league.

Still though I would be interested in Manning's cap numbers if someone has them.

If it wasn't for Peyton two years ago then Irsay would have given him his last contract fully guaranteed.

OT: Anyway, it doesn't really matter what his cap hits were. If anyone thinking he is some terrible person because Brady took some low ball contract they need to think twice. Peyton was never over payed. He earned every cent of his contracts.

I could careless about the money. He never headed progress for the team. I think we could all agree he made us a 1000x better. Without him we don't have the most winning-est decade in the NFL.

If it wasn't for Peyton two years ago then Irsay would have given him his last contract fully guaranteed.

OT: Anyway, it doesn't really matter what his cap hits were. If anyone thinking he is some terrible person because Brady took some low ball contract they need to think twice. Peyton was never over payed. He earned every cent of his contracts.

I could careless about the money. He never headed progress for the team. I think we could all agree he made us a 1000x better. Without him we don't have the most winning-est decade in the NFL.

And to be fair, what Brady has done is unprecedented. I think it is unfair to now say Manning should have done the same when no other super star QB had ever done it. Or that he should even do the same now. As I have been saying all along, Brady is a rare bird. Winning drives him like no one else.

There is a difference between restructuring which Brady has also done several times, 5 total I believe and taken an undermarket contract which Brady has done twice. He also did in 2005, took 10 mil a year for six years while Manning was being paid between 13-14 as the highest paid QB in the league.

Still though I would be interested in Manning's cap numbers if someone has them.

just google "peyton manning 2013 cap hit", shows that he is 3rd of all QBs at 20M, only lower than Eli and Matt Stafford.

:: sighs prayerfully ::

What determines the market? When Bud Adams was prepared to offer Manning $25m/year last year, and Manning instead took $19.2m, wasn't that an undermarket contract?

What determines the market? When Bud Adams was prepared to offer Manning $25m/year last year, and Manning instead took $19.2m, wasn't that an undermarket contract?

What the top guys are getting. I mean Manning is #2 behind Brees as the highest paid QB. He has been the top guy for years and years so you tell me.

I got this from the mobile Spotrac site:

Year   Base Salary   Bonus       Cap Hit1998   144,000       2,933,333   3,077,3331999   1,430,000     1,933,333   3,363,3332000   2,666,000     4,033,333   6,699,3332001   4,452,000     4,033,333   8,485,3332002   6,298,000     4,033,333   10,331,3332003   9,842,000     5,533,333   15,375,333
2004   535,000       5,750,000   6,285,0002005   665,000       5,750,000   6,415,0002006   1,000,000     7,550,000   8,550,0002007   1,000,000     9,216,667   10,216,6672008   11,500,000    9,216,667   20,716,6672009   14,000,000    9,216,667   23,216,6672010   15,800,000    3,466,667   19,266,667
2011   3,400,000     12,600,000  16,000,0002012   0             10,400,000  10,400,000

That's the breakdown for each contract Manning had with the Colts.

What the top guys are getting. I mean Manning is #2 behind Brees as the highest paid QB. He has been the top guy for years and years so you tell me.

So Manning didn't take less than market value? The Titans were prepared to offer him $25m/year, and he took almost $6m/year less than that.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/10/report-bud-adams-was-willing-to-pay-peyton-25-million-a-year/

Something else I can't believe I haven't thought of before now:

Manning's 2011 contract with the Colts would have paid him $69m over the first three years, and then he would have earned $10.5m/year over the last two years of the deal. Those are the years the cap is expected to go up pretty significantly -- 2014 and 2015. It was pretty similar in structure to the Brady deal, all told.

Something else I can't believe I haven't thought of before now:

Manning's 2011 contract with the Colts would have paid him $69m over the first three years, and then he would have earned $10.5m/year over the last two years of the deal. Those are the years the cap is expected to go up pretty significantly -- 2014 and 2015. It was pretty similar in structure to the Brady deal, all told.

Good luck on trying to convince him of this. I just don't understand why he keeps this going about Brady in a Colts Forum anyway. I personally could care less what Brady does because he is still getting his money just worded differently in my opinion. :)

Good luck on trying to convince him of this. I just don't understand why he keeps this going about Brady in a Colts Forum anyway. I personally could care less what Brady does because he is still getting his money just worded differently in my opinion. :)

:agree:    I agree Susie.   And let me add... I don't understand the obsession with Football Players salaries...    Any way you look at it,  or spin it, or restructure it,  They still make a Ridiculous amount  of money $$,   Period.

:agree:    I agree Susie.   And let me add... I don't understand the obsession with Football Players salaries...    Any way you look at it,  or spin it, or restructure it,  They still make a Ridiculous amount  of money $$,   Period.

Oh to have the problem on how to restructure my money. :funny: That would certainly be something that might keep me awake at night. :)  I agree I have always thought all professional sports players make more money than they could ever need and then some get into trouble because they can't handle all that money. :sigh: I will take my restructured monthly pay and live very well thank you. ;)

That was for his benefit, not the "team" benefit. He wanted to play for a contender. It's silly to insinuate that he took a below market contract. He went to the Broncos, they paid him everything they could.

That was for his benefit, not the "team" benefit. He wanted to play for a contender. It's silly to insinuate that he took a below market contract. He went to the Broncos, they paid him everything they could.

How do you figure the Broncos paid him everything they could? They had a $27m cap carryover from 2011, a total of $45m in cap space in 2012. They go into 2013 with decent cap space. They could have paid Manning $25m/year if that's what his demand was. And the market is determined by what someone is willing to pay for your goods/services.

And isn't the reason Brady is agreeing to a lower than market contract because he wants to play for a contender? He wants the Patriots to be a contender, and recognizes that his new contract will help the team keep and acquire other good players, making his life easier. We're weighing the difference between the benefit of more money in the one player's pocket against the benefit of having a team that can afford to pay other players what they want. It's to Brady's benefit to take less the same as it was to Manning's to take less from the Broncos.

How do you figure the Broncos paid him everything they could? They had a $27m cap carryover from 2011, a total of $45m in cap space in 2012. They go into 2013 with decent cap space. They could have paid Manning $25m/year if that's what his demand was. And the market is determined by what someone is willing to pay for your goods/services.

And isn't the reason Brady is agreeing to a lower than market contract because he wants to play for a contender? He wants the Patriots to be a contender, and recognizes that his new contract will help the team keep and acquire other good players, making his life easier. We're weighing the difference between the benefit of more money in the one player's pocket against the benefit of having a team that can afford to pay other players what they want. It's to Brady's benefit to take less the same as it was to Manning's to take less from the Broncos.

Why would they pay someone who was coming off 4 neck surgeries 25 million per year? They paid him what they could and held back money for plan B. Just because Bud Adams was desperate enough to over pay Manning doesn't mean he took a below market contract, and as a matter of fact, for Manning's health when he signed the deal I think he was over-payed.

Brady's story is entirely different, he took less so his team could be better, his team already is a contender without the salary cut, he just wants it to me that much better. Manning took less because the team that offered more sucked, and wasn't a contender. It was the NYJ Tim Tebow effect with Adams, he just wanted Manning behind center because it would sell tickets and merchandise. He really didn't care about the team around him.

Why would they pay someone who was coming off 4 neck surgeries 25 million per year? They paid him what they could and held back money for plan B. Just because Bud Adams was desperate enough to over pay Manning doesn't mean he took a below market contract, and as a matter of fact, for Manning's health when he signed the deal I think he was over-payed.

Brady's story is entirely different, he took less so his team could be better, his team already is a contender without the salary cut, he just wants it to me that much better. Manning took less because the team that offered more sucked, and wasn't a contender. It was the NYJ Tim Tebow effect with Adams, he just wanted Manning behind center because it would sell tickets and merchandise. He really didn't care about the team around him.

Why would they pay him $19.2m a year? Either way you slice it, there's a risk there. But the reports say the Titans were ready to offer him $25m.

Compare that to someone like Joe Flacco, who if he ever hit the free market would be unlikely to make the $20m he's reportedly asking for, but he's going to get it because he has the Ravens over a barrel. But I don't think the market would support that kind of contract. If the Ravens let him hit free agency and another team offers him that kind of money, then he won't be overpaid; I'll be wrong.

I didn't think Manning would get those kind of offers either, but you can't call him overpaid just because his contract exceeded your expectations.The market spoke and set his value, and it was between $19-$25m. He took $19m.

And again, Brady gets credit for taking less because he wants his team to be able to perform better, but Manning doesn't get credit for going to the better team for less money? What's the difference? They both want to play on a better team, and saw taking less money as a means to that end.

Am I incorrect in stating this or didn't Peyton get paid $18 mil. guaranteed in year 1 with the Broncos and getting $40 mil. more guaranteed in years 2 and 3 if he passes the physical? If that is correct, that is $58 mil. guaranteed and Peyton would have gotten $1 mil. more guaranteed money than Brady. Right? Or wrong?

Like I said, feel free to correct me.

Am I incorrect in stating this or didn't Peyton get paid $18 mil. guaranteed in year 1 with the Broncos and getting $40 mil. more guaranteed in years 2 and 3 if he passes the physical? If that is correct, that is $58 mil. guaranteed and Peyton would have gotten $1 mil. more guaranteed money than Brady. Right? Or wrong?

Like I said, feel free to correct me.

Has to pass a physical to trigger the additional $40m. It's not guaranteed until then.

Brady's entire $57m is guaranteed as of signing and approval, even if his legs fall off. The only way the Pats get out of any of Brady's $57m is if they determine that he sucks after two, three or four seasons, and they can release him and get out of remainder of the contract. But because more bonus is triggered every year he's under contract, the dead cap hit would be prohibitive.

Why would they pay him $19.2m a year? Either way you slice it, there's a risk there. But the reports say the Titans were ready to offer him $25m.

Compare that to someone like Joe Flacco, who if he ever hit the free market would be unlikely to make the $20m he's reportedly asking for, but he's going to get it because he has the Ravens over a barrel. But I don't think the market would support that kind of contract. If the Ravens let him hit free agency and another team offers him that kind of money, then he won't be overpaid; I'll be wrong.

I didn't think Manning would get those kind of offers either, but you can't call him overpaid just because his contract exceeded your expectations.The market spoke and set his value, and it was between $19-$25m. He took $19m.

And again, Brady gets credit for taking less because he wants his team to be able to perform better, but Manning doesn't get credit for going to the better team for less money? What's the difference? They both want to play on a better team, and saw taking less money as a means to that end.

I'm still going to say he was over payed. The bidding was for Manning was a desperation one. You can easily take into account the fact that his merchandising and ticket sales off-set the money lost if he failed.

Has to pass a physical to trigger the additional $40m. It's not guaranteed until then.

Brady's entire $57m is guaranteed as of signing and approval, even if his legs fall off. The only way the Pats get out of any of Brady's $57m is if they determine that he sucks after two, three or four seasons, and they can release him and get out of remainder of the contract. But because more bonus is triggered every year he's under contract, the dead cap hit would be prohibitive.

Already people are mis-informed on Brady's deal. Only $33 million is guaranteed right now. The other $24 does not get paid unless he plays the final two years of the contract, http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4740303/

Also the Pats can void the entire thing at any time if they deem his skillset is no longer viable. So this is not a cast iron guarantee by any means except for injury.

Homestly this is a losing debate for any Manning fan here. Brady has taken much less money over the length of his career than Manning. Like I said before, I don't think that reflects on Manning in poor light at all. He deserved his contracts as did Brady. Brady just decided in 2005 and now to take less because he wants to win. It is unfair to hold Manning or anyone else to that standard. It has never been done before. I mean already the Denver Post is saying Manning should take a pay cut like Brady. No he shouldn't. He has never been that type of guy. He won't and neither will Brees or Flacco.

I'm still going to say he was over payed. The bidding was for Manning was a desperation one. You can easily take into account the fact that his merchandising and ticket sales off-set the money lost if he failed.

So Manning's market value is determined based on your opinion, but Brady's is based on what other top quarterbacks make. Seems unfair.

Manning had at least two teams willing to pay him top quarterback money, and potentially three or four others that never got the chance to talk about a contract. The Cardinals, Dolphins, Niners and Seahawks all wanted him as well. Maybe more than that. But that was all desperation.

Imagine if those desperate teams had the chance to start a real bidding war. What kind of offers might we have seen then?

The market determines value, not our opinion of what a player is worth. The market spoke on Manning, and it was well beyond what either you or I anticipated he'd get. But that's the market.

Homestly this is a losing debate for any Manning fan here. Brady has taken much less money over the length of his career than Manning. Like I said before, I don't think that reflects on Manning in poor light at all. He deserved his contracts as did Brady. Brady just decided in 2005 and now to take less because he wants to win. It is unfair to hold Manning or anyone else to that standard. It has never been done before. I mean already the Denver Post is saying Manning should take a pay cut like Brady. No he shouldn't. He has never been that type of guy. He won't and neither will Brees or Flacco.

Now when you keep saying "never been done before" your talking about just football right?

Because athletes take less money so they can win all the time.

Manning's renegotiated his contract at least twice to clear up lots of space. You also forget that Manning was a #1 overall pick and was being called potentially the greatest of all time by '04. Brady was never truly considered an elite passer until Randy Moss arrived in '07. Brady is not as good as Manning so it would be expected that he would make less anyways. Brady also has a wife who makes more than he does.

Now when you keep saying "never been done before" your talking about just football right?

Because athletes take less money so they can win all the time.

yes, sorry just football. Superstar QBs in particular.

And let me add this if Manning was truly about winning he would have went to the niners. I mean isn't that obvious? He would have won the SB this year with them. Not sure if it was the money or the fact that Harbaugh wouldn't let him run the Indy offense. But if he wanted rings that is where he needed to go. Not frigid Denver with a bum neck/arm and John Fox as the HC.

Manning's renegotiated his contract at least twice to clear up lots of space. You also forget that Manning was a #1 overall pick and was being called the greatest of all time by '04, while Brady was never truly considered an elite passer until Randy Moss arrived in '07. Brady is not as good as Manning so it would be expected that he would make less anyways. Brady also has a wife who makes more than he does.

Brady had three rings in '05 and could have commanded any salary he wanted. He took less for six years while Manning was ringless getting paid as the "best" QB in the game. Like I said the money game is a losing battle.

yes, sorry just football. Superstar QBs in particular.

And let me add this if Manning was truly about winning he would have went to the niners. I mean isn't that obvious? He would have won the SB this year with them. Not sure if it was the money or the fact that Harbaugh wouldn't let him run the Indy offense. But if he wanted rings that is where he needed to go. Not frigid Denver with a bum neck/arm and John Fox as the HC.

Lol because I was going to say. I know Lebron James took less money to go to the Heat, and so far that choice is working out for him.

Already people are mis-informed on Brady's deal. Only $33 million is guaranteed right now. The other $24 does not get paid unless he plays the final two years of the contract, http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4740303/

Also the Pats can void the entire thing at any time if they deem his skillset is no longer viable. So this is not a cast iron guarantee by any means except for injury.

How does that differ in any way from what I posted above? Aside from the fact that the $24m is based on the last THREE years of his contract, not the last two, which you mistakenly claim...

Still, Brady's entire contract is guaranteed for injury. That word "guaranteed" is what they base the reported guaranteed money on. It's not reported as "cast iron guranteed," just guaranteed. And it is, for injury.

Manning's contract is NOT guaranteed for injury, which is why he has to pass physicals to trigger further guarantees.

Lastly, the Pats CANNOT void his entire deal at any time. They can only void the deal if he breaches his contract. They can release him before further guarantees are triggered, but that doesn't void the deal. They'll still have dead cap hits if they choose to do that.

Brady had three rings in '05 and could have commanded any salary he wanted. He took less for six years while Manning was ringless getting paid as the "best" QB in the game. Like I said the money game is a losing battle.

Anybody who watched football back then knows Brady didn't win those superbowls. He was efficient in the system he ran but the Pats D and Belichik's schemes won them their rings. Plus Spygate.

So now, Brady took a pay cut... Oh boy...

I'm not interested in how Brady's contract might make Manning look. You are, and have been from the start.

However, if you examine Brady's current contract in comparison with Manning's 2011 contract, you'll notice some significant similarities, particularly the lesser compensation in the final years of the deal.

Anybody who watched football back then knows Brady didn't win those superbowls. He was efficient in the system he ran but the Pats D and Belichik's schemes won them their rings. Plus Spygate.

Wow you don't possible believe this, do you? 3 SBs in 4 years, 10-0 post-season. He could have commanded any salary he wanted. Even Peter King said he took 30 percent lower than market value at the time. six years at 10 mil a year. Manning was getting 13-14. Brady could have gotten more than that but chose not to.

So now, Brady took a pay cut... Oh boy...

I'm not interested in how Brady's contract might make Manning look. You are, and have been from the start.

However, if you examine Brady's current contract in comparison with Manning's 2011 contract, you'll notice some significant similarities, particularly the lesser compensation in the final years of the deal.

I didn't start this thread. I said from the get go that Manning should not be judged for not taking the money he did then or now. That is who he is. I mean the guy makes more money in football endorsements than any other player. He is never going to sign the type of deal Brady just did. You do agree with that, right?

Wow you don't possible believe this, do you? 3 SBs in 4 years, 10-0 post-season. He could have commanded any salary he wanted. Even Peter King said he took 30 percent lower than market value at the time. six years at 10 mil a year. Manning was getting 13-14. Brady could have gotten more than that but chose not to.

How many MVP's did he win? He wasn't as valuable to the Patriots as you're making him out to be. Bledsoe got the team through the season for Brady's first superbowl. Plus Spygate.

i didn't start this thread. I said from the get go that Manning should not be judged for not taking the money he did then or now. That is who he is. I mean the guy makes more money in football endorsements than any other player. He is never going to sign the type of deal Brady just did. You do agree with that, right?

No, you didn't start this thread, but you did take a swipe at Manning -- unnecessary and uninformed at that -- in the other thread. Please don't pretend that you haven't compared Manning and Brady on the basis of this new contract (or EVERYONE and Brady, for that matter).

As for whether Manning would ever do this kind of contract, I don't claim to know the future. I didn't think Brady would do this kind of contract at this juncture of his career. Good on him, but he's not as charitable as he's being made out to be in this whole deal. He's actually getting $3m more over the next two years, and then he'll have every opportunity to request a pay boost in 2015 when the cap starts going up again. Again, I don't know the future. Brady might play this contract out and never look back, and again, good on him. But this story isn't necessarily over yet.

And again, Manning took significantly less than he could have taken last year.