Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mayock is high on a lot of Olinemen

Yes, from what I saw in drills with Lane Johnson's combine performance. If he is still available at our pick, the Colts should be running to the podium with him as their pick.

Unfortunately, Lane's going to be long gone by the time we pick. Right now San Diego's got to be sweating bullets because they need an LT, and the way Fisher, Joeckel, and Johnson have looked, none of them will be there by then. 

While the 40 for O-linemen gets the hype, Johnson killed it with the 10 yard dash (1.61, the best out of any linemen), huge wingspan, and 34 inch vertical. If a defensive coach got his hands on him first, he could've been a prototype 3-4 DE. Just a freak of nature. 

Like many people have accurately stated "the eye in the sky doesn't lie." Quality control/film study, medical examinations, & interviews are the only darn thing that matters. Everything else is window dressing. Don't fall in love with a rookie just because he is chiseled & ripped in the 40 yard dash. Well said everyone. Well said.

Just because a woman may look fine in a bikini that doesn't mean you sprint down the wedding aisle. Get a full assessment of the person & situation 1st. Otherwise, your franchise will simply flush millions down the toilet for no good reason.

If Johnson is there and there is always a possibility that other teams are making different decisions than we expect them to do, than he has to be our Rd. 1. pick! He fills a huge need, is talented and would give us with Castonzo two young bookend tackles for the next years.

There's no way Lane Johnson gets pass the Chargers the Rams might even consider trading up to get him that's how high his stock is.

Deepest OL draft in years....maybe ever.  One of the shames is this may be THE single most talented Center class ever.  There are 15 strong centers.....there are not 15 center spots in the league.

Hopefully some of them are like Barrett Jones and can adapt to other line positions and have productive NFL careers.   :)

Barrett could end up at guard and Cooper is listed at guard, but could possibly play center.  If you take those two out of the Center equation, the talent pool at that position is ordinary at best.  Not saying there aren't a couple of guys who will make it, but standouts are lacking without the top two.

Barrett could end up at guard and Cooper is listed at guard, but could possibly play center.  If you take those two out of the Center equation, the talent pool at that position is ordinary at best.  Not saying there aren't a couple of guys who will make it, but standouts are lacking without the top two.

I think the term standout is relative Pancake.  There are solid centers.  They just won't make it as I stated.  As our own Shipley and former Colt Kirkpatrick found out,  being a number 1 or 2 center means nothing in the Not For Long.  Center is a 'lonely' position....I would not have my son consider playing it without tackle and guard experience.  Versatility is huge.

Many of the 11-15 guys fall into the 295 pound range that some argue are not from man blocking schemes or only fit the zone schemes.

As I have said in other threads, we will always draft to our scheme, but if I am evaluating talent, I want a center....I want a guard...I want a tackle.  To be All Pro.....you need to be able to B L O C K.....

Take a look at the bottom of the attached lists and some of the teams/weights of the centers.  One is 279....heck I am 235  :)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2013/C

I think the term standout is relative Pancake.  There are solid centers.  They just won't make it as I stated.  As our own Shipley and former Colt Kirkpatrick found out,  being a number 1 or 2 center means nothing in the Not For Long.  Center is a 'lonely' position....I would not have my son consider playing it without tackle and guard experience.  Versatility is huge.

Many of the 11-15 guys fall into the 295 pound range that some argue are not from man blocking schemes or only fit the zone schemes.

As I have said in other threads, we will always draft to our scheme, but if I am evaluating talent, I want a center....I want a guard...I want a tackle.  To be All Pro.....you need to be able to B L O C K.....

Take a look at the bottom of the attached lists and some of the teams/weights of the centers.  One is 279....heck I am 235   :)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2013/C

My point was, as your link shows, that once you get past Barrett, who could be a guard, and Frederick (better at guard), they list one player each for Rounds 3, 4, 5, and 6.  Everybody else is a potential FA signee.  Not a banner crop as claimed in the post I commented on..  Personally, I like Schwenke or Benivedes (needs to add 20 lbs). 

My point was, as your link shows, that once you get past Barrett, who could be a guard, and Frederick (better at guard), they list one player each for Rounds 3, 4, 5, and 6.  Everybody else is a potential FA signee.  Not a banner crop as claimed in the post I commented on..  Personally, I like Schwenke or Benivedes (needs to add 20 lbs). 

Compared to other center years, it is a strong year.  And as I said, even centers that are the best do not make teams....an incredibly strong year on the OL.  

Schwenke is another guy who can play other positions as well.