Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mayock is high on a lot of Olinemen

Mayock is talking very highly of Jockel, Warmack, Cooper, Fisher, Fluker, Johnson, Warford, to just name a few.  And a lot of these guys are showing crazy athleticism.  This class has more talent then I thought and I knew it had quite a bit.

Deepest OL draft in years....maybe ever.  One of the shames is this may be THE single most talented Center class ever.  There are 15 strong centers.....there are not 15 center spots in the league.

Hopefully some of them are like Barrett Jones and can adapt to other line positions and have productive NFL careers.  :)

What does a 4.65 40 mean for an offensive linemen? nothing. But that 1.65 10 yard is excellent. Does it mean the kid can play???

He performed well at the east wear shrine game and the senior bowl...coming out of Arkansas Pine Bluff. He also had 34+ inch arms, 31 reps on the bench, and is reportedly looking great in the performance drills

He performed well at the east wear shrine game and the senior bowl...coming out of Arkansas Pine Bluff. He also had 34+ inch arms, 31 reps on the bench, and is reportedly looking great in the performance drills

I read that ya. Well, its definitely interesting stuff. I watched the video of his 40 time and the kid looks more like a DE than a OT. Kind of built like Tony Ugoh..... :D

If there was ever a year for OL, this is it. 

I really don't like this draft in a number of areas, but fortunately, it's deep where we need it to be. There will be good OL available at 24, even if Joeckel, Fisher, and Johnson are long gone. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing us double down and pick up a linemen with our 3rd rounder, either. 

Liked what I saw this morning from O-line.  Confirmed what I have said about some of these Linemen and opened my eyes to others that I had not observed or thought about.

To bad our GM does not like Rookie Linemen.  Would be a good draft to trade back, get extra picks, and pick up a few.

Liked what I saw this morning from O-line.  Confirmed what I have said about some of these Linemen and opened my eyes to others that I had not observed or thought about.

To bad our GM does not like Rookie Linemen.  Would be a good draft to trade back, get extra picks, and pick up a few.

Remember Gacker, if the best player available is 'can't miss' offensive lineman....we will select him.  I really believe that.

We also need to see what is done from March 12 until the draft....via free agency....is this fun or what?

Remember Gacker, if the best player available is 'can't miss' offensive lineman....we will select him.  I really believe that.

We also need to see what is done from March 12 until the draft....via free agency....is this fun or what?

I agree that it is fun, but am worried about what our GM saying that he does not like Rookie O-linemen.  There seems to be a lot of good ones and we might miss out.

I agree that it is fun, but am worried about what our GM saying that he does not like Rookie O-linemen.  There seems to be a lot of good ones and we might miss out.

I agree with you....but maybe there is a little smokescreen there?  Grigson may not want to show his hand......With so many offensive linemen projected as 1's.....a former lineman HAS to at the very least be intrigued...even if he prefers experience.  If we do not get who we want via FA, he has to go OL.....HAS to...with the depth available.

I agree with you....but maybe there is a little smokescreen there?  Grigson may not want to show his hand......With so many offensive linemen projected as 1's.....a former lineman HAS to at the very least be intrigued...even if he prefers experience.  If we do not get who we want via FA, he has to go OL.....HAS to...with the depth available.

I hope you are right.  I can see this FA and Draft being bad.

I hope you are right.  I can see this FA and Draft being bad.

Following the other thread too...there will be a couple of those studs falling to us.....I cannot wait until March 12 to get an idea on where we head....things will be easier to project...As we have said...best OL draft in memory.

Following the other thread too...there will be a couple of those studs falling to us.....I cannot wait until March 12 to get an idea on where we head....things will be easier to project...As we have said...best OL draft in memory.

Do agree.  Just hope that we pull the trigger on a O-lineman of a good one is there and not reach for a supposed good "skill" player.

Remember....

This isn't called the underwear olympics for nothing....    it's great that these guys are testing well.... 

But for a kid like Armstead,  as great as he looked -- and he looked great -- he played at Arkansas Pine Bluff.    Not Arkansas in the SEC.    But Arkansas Pine Bluff.    Who did they play?

Now, I heard Mayock say he went to two all-star games and did very well...   and that's great and he sound like he'll get drafted on Day 2....    but he's never experienced tough competition week in and week out.    That's quite different from gearing up to play in an all-star game or two.

And the NFL is nothing if not a grind....   week in and week out.

Don't get me wrong....   I love the kid....    but getting too worked up over kids who test great is a fast way to get disappointed.... a fair number of them don't pan out once they get to the NFL....

Just sayin.....

Oh....   here's his NFL.com profile....

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/terron-armstead?id=2540228

40 times for O-lineman are absolutely worthless. Most of the combine is worthless in reality. what matters is what the kid does on tape against actual opponents. There are a few events at the combine that are relevant for differing positions, but mostly just a waste of time.

Actually...    I would like to hear about ONE lineman or player in general that has NOT been talked up.

This is a dog and pony show...      and nobody will call out anyone.    Heck they are all top tier D1 football players, they should look good in there underwear.     hehee.. 

Tape and background checks tell teams what is going on.

Mayock is talking very highly of Jockel, Warmack, Cooper, Fisher, Fluker, Johnson, Warford, to just name a few.  And a lot of these guys are showing crazy athleticism.  This class has more talent then I thought and I knew it had quite a bit.

EXACTLY...    burst off of the ball is what any NFL scout is looking for in OLmen, esp interior OLmen.....      how about a 5 yard dummy machine drill?   that would give worth while info?.   Teams want quickness off of the ball, and good foot movement.    ..

I get tired of hearing words "potential" ..       and "if" ...    how about ..  "ummm   this cat has NO chance to play in the NFL" . ???

This is as bad as the draft...   

40 times for O-lineman are absolutely worthless. Most of the combine is worthless in reality. what matters is what the kid does on tape against actual opponents. There are a few events at the combine that are relevant for differing positions, but mostly just a waste of time.

I totally agree ... 

OL, DL, and DB this draft has talent.     I think after the FA flurry ends we will get a great idea which direction Indy is heading in the draft.

If there was ever a year for OL, this is it. 

I really don't like this draft in a number of areas, but fortunately, it's deep where we need it to be. There will be good OL available at 24, even if Joeckel, Fisher, and Johnson are long gone. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing us double down and pick up a linemen with our 3rd rounder, either. 

And actually every NFL GM knows this is a waste of time with the exception of 2 areas.  

Every team will get the opportunity to give player X a physical by the team's physician. 

and the interview.       

The combine is simply convenience ...     everyone is there.      

mostly.... 

And actually every NFL GM knows this is a waste of time with the exception of 2 areas.  

Every team will get the opportunity to give player X a physical by the team's physician. 

and the interview.       

The combine is simply convenience ...     everyone is there.      

mostly.... 

Yep. Physical and interview are really the only things GM's pay attention to. Yes, it's impressive that a 300+lb guy ran a sub 4.7 40, but as far as what it means for him to play O-line in the NFL is virtually meaningless. Initial burst out of his stance and footwork is what matters and just because a guy runs fast don't mean he has the proper footwork to play O-line. 

Yep. Physical and interview are really the only things GM's pay attention to. Yes, it's impressive that a 300+lb guy ran a sub 4.7 40, but as far as what it means for him to play O-line in the NFL is virtually meaningless. Initial burst out of his stance and footwork is what matters and just because a guy runs fast don't mean he has the proper footwork to play O-line.

You think that Poe was the 11th pick before the combine last year? You think Stephen Hill would have went where he did? To say the GMs pay no attention to the drills is ridiculous. Of course they don't care what a OL 40 time is but they take into account the 10 second split. It shouldn't be the end-all be-all of where you rate someone but after the combine GMs shuffle their boards around every year. It's especially an especially good chance to someone who came from a small school.