Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan Grigson quote on ESPN INsider

Ryan Grigson, Colts general manager: “Put them in pads; that’s the only thing. The great thing about this is it’s just one more reference point. If you think a guy’s a great cover corner, a great athlete, has great speed on film, then if he runs 4.35 you say, ‘OK, he’s really that guy.’ But the play speed and the actual game playing is so huge. 

“I’ve gotten burned on it myself. A lot of times you can go out and watch a player in drills, a corner for instance, he’s 6-foot-1, 200 pounds that’s a low-rated guy. Then you go out to practice and his movement skills are off the charts. And you get bamboozled into thinking he’s a player. Well there is something to be said for how you process information as a football player. That’s why I like taking guys who are productive in the actual environment.”

At least some drills in pads could make the workouts closer to football and further from something evaluators need to translate into football. 

Guys, I love our GM. Grigson is the MAN, he's smart and really knows hat he's doing. I'm thinking that in recent years, the combine has become a little different than what it was meant to be. Now it's about making up for bad play on the field by showing off a flashy 40 or good footwork. I believe that before, it was about getting in more practice in PREPARATION for the pros, not upping your draft stock.

Great policy.  Don't go after the workout warriors.  Go after the football players

i said the same thing last year. I really liked Casey Hayward b/c he had 2+ seasons of great CB play. It translates to the NFL! no matter how fast they run with pads off or jump thru hoops in Indy, the play on the field is what should be looked at!!!!!

Listen to Skip Bayless here. Watch the tape. Tests/drills prove almost nothing as it pertains to NFL success. 

http://youtu.be/5c7Jn6T5EmM

I can't find the video clip right now, but in another clip from "ESPN First Take" Skip also talks about the overblown value of the INDY Combine & how owners & GMs need to drop this NFL mecca central headquarters system in favor of visiting athletes in their own college campus atmosphere. You can perform all the mandatory interviews right there. Plus, talk to all the coordinators & strength/conditioning coaches to get an honest assessment of a player's work ethic, playbook comprehension, & capacity to lead future team mates in the huddle. Running in a t-shirt & shorts proves nothing. I agree 100%. The Combine complete medical workup does have value though. I will admit, especially with the millions franchises are about to invest into future superstar athletes on their squad.

In addition, since a vast majority of these athletes attend specialized combine camps in AZ & FL anyway, their answers indicate memorization & repetition not truthful answers as well. Where do players get money to attend these specialized combine camps anyway? Does their talent agent pay for it or what? I have always wondered that. Not every athlete comes from an affluent family background.

The one thing I like about our former GM Bill Polian: He understands the value of speed, closing distance, great hands, the value of size, durability, & less likely to get hurt. 

http://youtu.be/87Qcbm-JZbg

But body size & athletic ability doesn't always translate into football I.Q. either. Too many evaluators fall in love with size & strength though. Remember QB Jamarcus Russell? How bout Tom Brady? Too epic miscalculations on both sides of the NFL prospects spectrum. 

The one thing I like about our former GM Bill Polian: He understands the value of speed, closing distance, great hands, the value of size, durability, & less likely to get hurt. 

http://youtu.be/87Qcbm-JZbg

But body size & athletic ability doesn't always translate into football I.Q. either. Too many evaluators fall in love with size & strength though. Remember QB Jamarcus Russell? How bout Tom Brady? Too epic miscalculations on both sides of the NFL prospects spectrum. 

We used to lead or be near the top in the league for time lost to injury when Polian was around.  We had a rough year last year too.  Is it our field?  We changed most of the strength and conditioning coaches, so that doesn't seem the likely cause.  Both OL and DL were decimated last year and our LBs didn't fare much better.