Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DJ Fluker

DJ Fluker really surprised at the measurements yesterday. Lost weight since senoir bowl and arm length was crazy. If he can show the weight loss has helped is quickness at all, he will be a first round lock. Could be very interesting for colts if he lasts to #24. Could be a long term RT.

He is already a 1st round lock. This would just raise him higher

Are you kidding me?

He wasn't even in serious first round consideration until he performed very well at the Senior Bowl...   that hardly qualifies someone as a lock.

Now, he maybe closer to that in a week,  once he's worked out....   but he's still got his pro day and other workouts to go....  plus, he can't play Left Tackle.     Most team don't want to spend a 1st round pick on a Right Tackle.    Some teams will,  but not not most.

He's hardly a lock....    at least, not yet...

I confess I'm much more intrigued by him than I thought I would be....

And, oddly enough, it's because when he tipped the scales at 355 at the Senior Bowl, the view of him there was that he had shockingly little fat on him....   that he was just 'massive'...   and, he's got strangely very, very long arms...

And while his feet aren't great, I think they're acceptable for a right tackle, especially one so huge...

If the Colts feel they can keep him in the range of 335,  then I'd be open to taking him....   but guys like that, so big, worry me....

Because typically they can't keep the weight off for too many years....   sooner or later, the weight starts to come back on and on and on....   and suddenly, he's back to being 350+...  but then, there's no going back....

Again,  I trust Grigson....  but I'm much more interested than I thought I'd be....    color me surprised....

Are you kidding me?

He wasn't even in serious first round consideration until he performed very well at the Senior Bowl... that hardly qualifies someone as a lock.

Now, he maybe closer to that in a week, once he's worked out.... but he's still got his pro day and other workouts to go.... plus, he can't play Left Tackle. Most team don't want to spend a 1st round pick on a Right Tackle. Some teams will, but not not most.

He's hardly a lock.... at least, not yet...

I don't know where you been reading but everywhere I read had him in the 1st round Pick since the championship game

I confess I'm much more intrigued by him than I thought I would be....

And, oddly enough, it's because when he tipped the scales at 355 at the Senior Bowl, the view of him there was that he had shockingly little fat on him....   that he was just 'massive'...   and, he's got strangely very, very long arms...

And while his feet aren't great, I think they're acceptable for a right tackle, especially one so huge...

If the Colts feel they can keep him in the range of 335,  then I'd be open to taking him....   but guys like that, so big, worry me....

Because typically they can't keep the weight off for too many years....   sooner or later, the weight starts to come back on and on and on....   and suddenly, he's back to being 350+...  but then, there's no going back....

Again,  I trust Grigson....  but I'm much more interested than I thought I'd be....    color me surprised....

Fluker weighed a slim 339 at the combine....but had a disappointing bench of 21 @225

I don't know where you been reading but everywhere I read had him in the 1st round Pick since the championship game

Being projected as a first round pick in February before the combine doesn't translate into what you call.... 'a lock'....

But most draft websites are not very good....    and that's being polite. 

Yep...that would be a red flag.

With 37 inch arms there is an absolutely sick amount of range and flexion involved with each rep....but 21 is simply not good for a 330lb.+ man.

Oddly enough,  the 21 reps on the bench press will not be much of a Red Flag, is one at all.

And the reason why is arm length.     Most tackles have arms in the 33-34 inch range.   35 inches is fantastic.   Fluker's arms are an unheard of 36 and 3/4 inches long.     I've never even heard of that.

Longer arms often and typically mean far fewer reps on the bench press.   It's very, very common.    Shorter armed athletes have a distinct advantage in that area....    their short arms can often put up many more reps.      I don't know the scientific reasons for it -- but there are some -- I just know that's the NFL view of things.    This won't scare anyone away from Fluker.

The kid is a true Freak of Nature.

I'm watching the combine right now...if he wasn't tagged with the Alabama association...I wouldn't think he's a 1st round pick.

Not looking great today.

Nobody thought he was going to do well at the combine, the only thing impressive about him are his measurables. He's a mailer, not an athlete.

Oddly enough,  the 21 reps on the bench press will not be much of a Red Flag, is one at all.

And the reason why is arm length.     Most tackles have arms in the 33-34 inch range.   35 inches is fantastic.   Fluker's arms are an unheard of 36 and 3/4 inches long.     I've never even heard of that.

Longer arms often and typically mean far fewer reps on the bench press.   It's very, very common.    Shorter armed athletes have a distinct advantage in that area....    their short arms can often put up many more reps.      I don't know the scientific reasons for it -- but there are some -- I just know that's the NFL view of things.    This won't scare anyone away from Fluker.

The kid is a true Freak of Nature.

Exactly...the range and flexion add to the effort his arms and pecs are exerting with each rep. More range...more energy spent.

But for comparison's sake....DT/DE Jarron Gilbert, a combine wonder many of us were fooled by a few years ago....had 36" arms and put up 28 reps. I'd have liked to have seen 28 out of Fluker, given his somewhat sluggish performance in the agility drills. Then again his arm length and enough functional strength could get him by.

Ultimately it boils down more to game tape and playing the position than anything else. Grigson will figure that out better than any of us.

Nobody thought he was going to do well at the combine, the only thing impressive about him are his measurables. He's a mailer, not an athlete.

I think you mean "mauler". But he'd be a scary USPS man for sure! 

Either way...looked really sloppy. I have to think there will be better quality for us at 24.

Are you kidding me?

He wasn't even in serious first round consideration until he performed very well at the Senior Bowl...   that hardly qualifies someone as a lock.

Now, he maybe closer to that in a week,  once he's worked out....   but he's still got his pro day and other workouts to go....  plus, he can't play Left Tackle.     Most team don't want to spend a 1st round pick on a Right Tackle.    Some teams will,  but not not most.

He's hardly a lock....    at least, not yet...

He only Weighed in at Senior Bowl. Didn't participate in training/game.

To me Flukers draft stock took a bit of a hit today, 6'5" 330+ with 21 bench reps? I expected more

I think with the length of his arms, most teams will realize it's harder for him to do a repetitive exercise like bench press. IMO leg press is much more relevant than bench for an O-lineman. RT's do not need to be as athletic as the LT needs to be so his slower footwork isn't much of a red flag either. He is the prototypical man blocking RT IMO, I wouldn't mind him being our pick at all if he lasts that long, but I could see Chicago taking him at 20.

Flukers feet looked pretty bad. A couple years of training and they will improve some.

In this video it looks like after initial contact the defender was able to get off him too easy.

He might make a good run blocking guard except I don`t see him as being athletic enough to pull well and get out in the screen game.

A few guys today showed RT ability and may be LT`s some day. I would prefer that kind of guy.

His bench Reps are no issue, just like Warmacks 40 time.

Warmack and fluker both had subpar combines and Barrett didn't participate. Warmack might take a slight slide but not too big. Just wont be the first pick taken.

Well, he was never going to be the first pick taken. I still doubt he will be a top 10 pick. According to some he isn't even the top guard, but that could just be teams blowing smoke.

Thought about it but NCF is right, I bet he could play RG but I wouldn't draft him as my RT, he has slow slow slow feet, As of right now he does have a 1st round grade though according to NFL.com of 85.5 good for 27th best

I found this on the twitter feed of George Brimmer. Writer for the Herald Bulletin in Anderson, Indiana:

George Bremer ‏@gmbremer

Alabama OT DJ Fluker drew a lot of attention from the #Colts at the Senior Bowl. pic.twitter.com/fYqbKu31CS

View photo Reply Retweet Favorite More

I also found this on Bremers Twitter feed as well. But to me it's not a clear statement of the Colts intention when you look closer at it.

Colts Interested In CB Sean Smith

Indianapolis Colts, Miami Dolphins February 19, 2013 Leave a comment

The Indianapolis Colts are looking to reunite free agent corner back Sean Smith with ex-teammate Vontae Davis, according to George Bremer of the Anderson Herald Bulletin.

Smith and Davis were teammates in Miami and it does not look like the Dolphins will tag Smith right now as both parties have been in a disagreement.

http://nflfootballrumors.wordpress.com/2013/02/19/colts-interested-in-cb-sean-smith/

I found this on the twitter feed of George Brimmer. Writer for the Herald Bulletin in Anderson, Indiana:

George Bremer ‏@gmbremer

Alabama OT DJ Fluker drew a lot of attention from the #Colts at the Senior Bowl. pic.twitter.com/fYqbKu31CS

View photo Reply Retweet Favorite More

Meh I wont read much into it, Scouts and coaches are doing there do diligents, He wont be the last name brought up between now and draft day, I dont expect Grigson to draft RT in the 1st and if he does I expect it would be Fluker and I'd expect them to move him in to RG, if not then Fluker has Linkenbach 2.0 written all over him at RT, he would get abused by faster DE's especially on outside to in moves, Just my opinion, dont mean much, just what I think from watching film. DE's that try to overpower him (smaller ones) will have alot of trouble especially bull rushing but not those that can string there moves together, Looks to struggle with his backpedal (Michigan game on youtube)

Well, he was never going to be the first pick taken. I still doubt he will be a top 10 pick. According to some he isn't even the top guard, but that could just be teams blowing smoke.

For teams that don't run a power scheme, Cooper's the better fit. As it stands, Cooper can also play power, just not as well as Chance. Cooper also has positional versatility because he can play center. Because of those factors, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Cooper picked before Chance.

Warmack's a heck of a prospect. I'd be stoked if we could land him somehow because he fits our scheme perfectly, but his hype has gotten out of control. It's David DeCastro all over again; a heck of a guard prospect who, nonetheless, is extremely overhyped by pundits and message boards going in to the draft process. The gap between he and the "#2" guy isn't what it's made out to be. Cooper and Warmack is this year's DeCastro and Zeitler. Warmack going top 3, top 5, just won't happen.

A team picking that high who really wants him will trade down to a team that's starving for one of the premier LT's. 

Fluker is the perfect fit to our power man blocking scheme at RT. Speed rushers usually go against the LT and in our scheme, you want the RT to be a very good run blocker, which Fluker is. Lane Johnson would have to beef up considerabley to play in our scheme. At barely 300 lbs and at 6'7", he looks skinny for an O-lineman. He is a much better fit at LT for a zone blocking team.

I would pass on Fluker very slow footed would get beat by speed rushers looks like a 2nd round pick. Lane Johnson, Warmack, and Cooper wouldn't mind drafting but i think all will be gone by 18th pick.

Agree about Fluker...he is getting a championsh bump...people will return to the senses before the draft

I have watched virtually all of the combine and they started it with talk of Warmack being the best football player in the draft. Their conversations implied if he nailed the combine that he might be the first guard taken first in an NFL draft. When he was slow, they were pretty disappointed. That's what I alluded to in my earlier post.

Fluker just scares me. I want him but he is just so slow.

Then it is a good thing that isn't a true measure of strength.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/workouts

Its not an exact science(The combine is far from perfect) and no that does not mean a player cant move his man but it is a test to see how many times a player can do it without getting tired and wearing down, its a test of endurance both mentally and physically 

http://www.nfl.com/combine/workouts

Its not an exact science(The combine is far from perfect) and no that does not mean a player cant move his man but it is a test to see how many times a player can do it without getting tired and wearing down, its a test of endurance both mentally and physically

I am aware of what it measures. I don't recall watching a player push another player 21 times in succession or pushing a player being an all upper body movement for that matter.

Flukers feet looked pretty bad. A couple years of training and they will improve some.

In this video it looks like after initial contact the defender was able to get off him too easy.

He might make a good run blocking guard except I don`t see him as being athletic enough to pull well and get out in the screen game.

A few guys today showed RT ability and may be LT`s some day. I would prefer that kind of guy.

His bench Reps are no issue, just like Warmacks 40 time.

That film scares me. For being a supposed mauler look at how he gets beat at 1:50. His pass blocking looks terrible, and the run blocking doesn't really impress me. I agree that he may make a better guard, but I'd rather not spend our 24th pick on a project guard. Signing Gosder Cherilus looks more and more like a good idea to me.