Photo

I am not saying it - Crazy analytics say Luck better runner than RGIII

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#1 chad72

chad72
  • 9441 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

Link:

http://espn.go.com/b...ytics-can-prove

Game Rewind: Relive every NFL moment…subscribe to Game Rewind. Relive every NFL moment…subscribe to Game Rewind.

#2 Slash777

Slash777
  • 1555 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

Why Chad72, why?

#3 BLOODontheTRACKS

BLOODontheTRACKS
  • 9566 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

Keyword being crazy

#4 chad72

chad72
  • 9441 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

Why Chad72, why?

It is the offseason and I was searching for Andrew Luck articles. That was the first hit on google when I typed 'Andrew Luck' other than wikipedia today. You can check it yourself. Telling you exactly what I did :).

#5 Dustin

Dustin

prolly just arguing

• 13755 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

"The Colts rookie gained a first down on 55 percent of his carries, while Griffin moved the sticks just 35 percent of the time"

So it's more impressive if he runs 62 time and gets 34 first downs then it is to rush 120 times and get 42 first downs?

If Luck's offense revolved around him running the ball then his percentage would be lower also.

A useful website for when you are debating:

yourlogicalfallacyis.com

#6 Superman

Superman
  • Forum Moderator
  • 17123 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

The article didn't say "better." It said "more valuable."

LET'S HUNT

#7 chad72

chad72
  • 9441 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

The article didn't say "better." It said "more valuable."

Thanks, I stand corrected :)

#8 Tony Sullivan

Tony Sullivan
  • 456 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

RG3 is the better runner, Andrew Luck chooses when to run better.
Posted Image

#9 Nadine

Nadine

Community Manager

• Administrators
  • 7921 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

off season shenanigans

IMPORTANT GAME DAY POSTING: On Game days, you can post about the game in the GAME DAY FORUM http://forums.colts....e/game_day.html or in the chat room Game talk in the Colts Forum will be locked during the game. Post game discussion threads: You can create them, please have a clear title. redundant threads will be merged or locked Let's keep this joint organized

#10 lollygagger8

lollygagger8
  • 4781 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:31 PM

off season shenanigans

shenanigansnotext.gif
Shenanigans no text

#11 Smonroe

Smonroe
  • 7450 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

Nice! (Although the grammar police might say "makes better choices when to run", but it doesn't have the same ring as your line)

#12 RGIII

RGIII
  • 1115 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:59 PM

RG3 trusts his feet too much, Andrew Luck trusts his arm too much.

#13 Vance

Vance
  • 2627 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

60% of the time, these threads suck every time.

Houston Texans fan and realist. Sarcasm is etched into my DNA.

#14 shakedownstreet

shakedownstreet
  • 6511 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

94.1% of statistics are made up on the spot

#15 shakedownstreet

shakedownstreet
  • 6511 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:14 PM

Nice! (Although the grammar police might say "makes better choices when to run", but it doesn't have the same ring as your line)

#16 chad72

chad72
  • 9441 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

RG3 trusts his feet too much, Andrew Luck trusts his arm too much.

Nice comeback!!! :)

You know I like the level headed nature of your posts!!!

#17 chad72

chad72
  • 9441 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

...and I am sure there is an app for that too. :)

#18 Carlos Danger

Carlos Danger
  • 1143 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

article didn't say anything that the eye test wouldn't tell you... Luck was efficient as all get out when he took off with the ball, of course, it was mostly on broken pass plays and at the goal line.

RGIII is faster and more dynamic while running with the ball, but he had LBs and DEs spying him on every snap... not shocking that he had fewer first downs per carry..

debating this is like debating who has the best fullback... It doesn't matter... I would hate to see Luck have to scramble as often as RGIII did this year and Griffin is pretty proficient when he throws the ball as well... the main difference is that our guy will definitely be ready for the season opener, a sign that Pep should leave the pistol where it belongs... in Marvin's left sock..

Edit: couldn't help myself...moderators feel free to edit in any way you see fit... just as easily could've said "in the NCAA"

#19 Tark The Shark

Tark The Shark
  • 2391 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

At least this is better than the random free agent threads...

“Pressure is something you feel when you don't know what the heck you're doing.”- Peyton Manning

#20 Superman

Superman
  • Forum Moderator
  • 17123 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:38 PM

This article doesn't take into consideration the difference between designed runs and quarterback scrambles. I figure that's the major divergence between Luck and Griffin. Luck ran a lot on passing downs, especially third down, and those carries translated into first downs and extended drives. Of course that increases offensive efficiency more than a designed option run on first down for six yards. But six yards on a first down carry is a big gain for an offense as well.

Some good info there, but really nothing earth-moving.

LET'S HUNT

#21 Warhorse

Warhorse
  • 3732 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

RGIII is faster and more dynamic while running with the ball, but he had LBs and DEs spying him on every snap... not shocking that he had fewer first downs per carry..

Why didn't he use this to become a very prolific passer instead of running so much?

"Anyone a die harder fan? I will be there believing to the end. Who is with me?" Thread started by Steveeoaktree33 at 2:49 PM of the day the Colts executed the second largest comeback in NFL playoff history. Very few concurred.

#22 LockeDown

LockeDown
  • 1024 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

Luck, had he been forced to run like Griffin, would have been quite a different sight to see.  He is comparable in size and speed to a middle linebacker in the NFL and though he probably would have come out injured as well, he probably would have busted up his share of cornerbacks too.  

#23 Superman

Superman
  • Forum Moderator
  • 17123 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:05 PM

Luck, had he been forced to run like Griffin, would have been quite a different sight to see.  He is comparable in size and speed to a middle linebacker in the NFL and though he probably would have come out injured as well, he probably would have busted up his share of cornerbacks too.  

That's an interesting point of view. Luke Kuechly is 6'3", 235 pounds, and his best forty time was 4.49. Luck is 6'4", 234 pounds, and his best forty time was 4.54 (better than a lot of linebackers, like Donta Hightower). He is basically the size of an NFL linebacker. Different bodies, sure, and he wouldn't be able to handle the abuse a linebacker takes every down. But the size and athleticism are very comparable.

With more and more access to real game tape and more meaningful analysis, the Combine is becoming less relevant to personnel guys. All these quarterbacks who aren't going to throw at the Combine should take some time to do some of the drills other positions do. I would have loved to see Luck do the linebacker pursuit drills, or Griffin run the gauntlet. Denard Robinson is apparently going to do the receiver drills this year. Would add some entertainment value to the Combine.

LET'S HUNT

#24 Dtman513

Dtman513
  • 355 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

Currently RG3 is running on one leg.....

Too soon?

#25 Tony Sullivan

Tony Sullivan
  • 456 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:12 AM

Says the grammar police :P
Posted Image

#26 braveheartcolt

braveheartcolt
  • 4445 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:42 AM

Nine people out of five can't do fractions.....

"If I make a comment and it is not backed up by factual evidence, take it as my opinion, and my opinion only"....

#27 braveheartcolt

braveheartcolt
  • 4445 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:45 AM

Did you know that 45.9% of Luck's posts will not reach their destination?

"If I make a comment and it is not backed up by factual evidence, take it as my opinion, and my opinion only"....

#28 Malakai432

Malakai432
  • 6786 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

At least this is better than the random free agent threads...

Colts should get Charles Woodson & Ed Reed just to bench them so they can mentor the younger players!! We should also overpay both substantially!!

Vontae Davis is what happens when an unstoppable force meets and immovable object, then they have a kid! 

Dancing Monkey BAM!  :monkeydance: 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~The Bandit strikes again~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#29 HawkeyesColts

HawkeyesColts
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

Luck is the better QB!

#30 JerodMayo51

JerodMayo51
  • 730 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

This..

Its very obvious who the better "athlete" is between the 2 QBs.. Griffin is like a young Michael Vick and can literally bust a run for a TD on any play at any time.  They also designed a lot of their offensive scheme around his ability to run the football and is the reason he had over 800 rushing yards.

That being said, Luck is still a fine athlete and I would love to have him as my QB for the next 10 years.  Hes got some wheels, hes smart and knows when to use his legs and knows how to keep himself out of harms way, which is something that Griffin desperately needs to learn if he plans on having a long, healthy career.

RG3 seems to think that hes Cam Newton or something... Cam has the build and size to be able to run and take more hits.. Hes actually so big that he can punish certain defenders when he runs the ball.. Griffin is a lot smaller build, not a lot of weight or mass on his frame.. They are built from different molds and Griffin needs to get smarter and learn to slide earlier.

#31 JerodMayo51

JerodMayo51
  • 730 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

Why didn't he use this to become a very prolific passer instead of running so much?

RG3 had some pretty solid passing numbers.. He took care of the ball extremely well for a rookie, so i wouldn't knock his ability as a passer just yet.. He has the goods in the passing game and hes a very smart kid, he just needs to calm down when he runs and learn to side.

Luck might have benefited from running a little more instead of making some of the decisions he made.  He had 28 turnovers, tied for worst in the league.  The silver lining there is that hes a smart kid and im sure he learned from every interception that he threw, but both rookies played extremely well and they're both going to be exciting QBs to watch in the future.

#32 JerodMayo51

JerodMayo51
  • 730 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

Yea thats the thing about the larger QBs..  DBs dont line up haymaker shots on them because its going to hurt the DB more than the QB with guys like Cam Newton.. but a small bodied QB like Griffin, im sure safeties and CBs are licking their chops to just totally lay him out.

#33 JerodMayo51

JerodMayo51
  • 730 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

That's an interesting point of view. Luke Kuechly is 6'3", 235 pounds, and his best forty time was 4.49. Luck is 6'4", 234 pounds, and his best forty time was 4.54 (better than a lot of linebackers, like Donta Hightower). He is basically the size of an NFL linebacker.

He might run slightly faster than Hightower, but Hightower weighs 270 lbs :P  That would be a very bad day for Luck if he decided to take him on heheh

Its true though, Luck has a great build on him, basically the prototypical build for most QBs like Manning, Brady, etc.. Only hes actually athletic and can run haha, watchng Manning or Brady run is scary... Whenever Brady decides to run the ball, I get soo nervous... because hes so incredibly slow that its easy for defenders to line up big shots on him..  A QB like Manning or Brady on the run has defenders wanting to throw their bodies into them like a missle because they know they can. They are totally outmatched athletically

#34 JoKeR

JoKeR

And here...we.. GO...

• 6750 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

Luck is just a more efficient runner is all.

#35 Superman

Superman
  • Forum Moderator
  • 17123 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

He might run slightly faster than Hightower, but Hightower weighs 270 lbs :P  That would be a very bad day for Luck if he decided to take him on heheh

Its true though, Luck has a great build on him, basically the prototypical build for most QBs like Manning, Brady, etc.. Only hes actually athletic and can run haha, watchng Manning or Brady run is scary... Whenever Brady decides to run the ball, I get soo nervous... because hes so incredibly slow that its easy for defenders to line up big shots on him..  A QB like Manning or Brady on the run has defenders wanting to throw their bodies into them like a missle because they know they can. They are totally outmatched athletically

Good points, all. But have you seen the tackle Luck had against USC in his senior year? He absolutely drilled a safety that recovered a fumble. This hit was the stuff dreams are made of.

He probably doesn't want to go head up with Hightower though.

LET'S HUNT

#36 LockeDown

LockeDown
  • 1024 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

Tebow could play LB, except he is a bit slow.  Luck and Newton both have the size and speed, but I have never seen Newton tackle a guy the way Luck did in college.  Apparently, Luck also has the disposition of a LB and not just the measurables.  In other words, I really do think Luck could play LB.  Sounds crazy, but if he had decided to play that position when he was young, I think he could do it. 

COLTS TICKETS!

Single Game Tickets Available!

BUY THEM TODAY!
Join the Stampede!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates