Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

You have the #1 overall pick and can choose any player in NFL history. Who do you take?

Dustin

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brady is good, but come on that is pretty naive.

I can almost guarantee all Pats fans here would not agree with this.

I am actually dumbfounded you just said those teams were bad.

Brady is the only QB to have won multiple SBs with not one HoF at the offensive skill position. Not one. I should not have said lousy perhaps I should have said what Jamie Dukes said a couple of years ago, "Brady is the only QB to have won multiple championships with junk." Elway did the same thing in the 80's. He took average guys on offense to the bowl only to lose to the superior NFC. No cap/fa those years.

You take the steelers of the 70s, niners of the 80's and cowboys of the 90's and tell me how they stack up to those Pats teams? It is not even close on either side of the ball. Same with Elway's Broncos of the 80's.

Brady is the only QB to have won multiple SBs with not one HoF at the offensive skill position. Not one. I should not have said lousy perhaps I should have said what Jamie Dukes said a couple of years ago, "Brady is the only QB to have won multiple championships with junk." Elway did the same thing in the 80's. He took average guys on offense to the bowl only to lose to the superior NFC. No cap/fa those years.

You take the steelers of the 70s, niners of the 80's and cowboys of the 90's and tell me how they stack up to those Pats teams? It is not even close on either side of the ball. Same with Elway's Broncos of the 80's.

Jamie Dukes. haha lmao:funny::spit:rotflmao

Please tell me the HoF on the Steelers offense, or the Giants.

Suh, Strahan, and Law do not belong

Law and his physical play and 53 career picks dont belong? Come on now, And I'll give you Suh but years from now if he stays healthy is quite clear he is going to go down as one of the best to play the position, I mean if we really wanted to be picky we can take Ware out to since he does not have the most sacks of all time, Long story short all of these guys in there prime can line up against any offense and have alot of success besides you cant just say some of my picks dont belong and not give any reason for it

how is deon sanders not on that list lol

Because he had as many picks as Ty Law did, the difference being Ty Law was plain and simply the all around better Corner, Better tackler, as good in coverage, way more physical, yeah Sanders ran faster and show boated better but that dont make ya a better Corner, I'd take Law and Revis every time

Because he had as many picks as Ty Law did, the difference being Ty Law was plain and simply the all around better Corner, Better tackler, as good in coverage, way more physical, yeah Sanders ran faster and show boated better but that dont make ya a better Corner, I'd take Law and Revis every time

Law was amazing...but honestly i dont think he shutdown receivers the way Deon did...showboating aside, and im not a fan of his personality, he was one heck of a player

Law was amazing...but honestly i dont think he shutdown receivers the way Deon did...showboating aside, and im not a fan of his personality, he was one heck of a player

Well Im not going to back game by game over Ty Laws career but 53 picks later Im sure he shut some receivers down in his day including a few of our former receivers (unfortunately). Just my personal preference that I'd take Law over Prime Time, cant go wrong with either

TY Law cannot hold a candle to Deion. Revis wishes he was Deion....you could have any number of DBs on there even without Deion before coming anywhere close to Law or Revis. Bailey Blount Woodson Lane etc.

Sanders ran faster and show boated. Lol.

Sure Law has the same int totals. By starting as many games as Deion played his entire career. And appearing in significantly more games total. Oh. And law had 15 less TDs.

And Deion was also a pretty good baseball player in his downtime.

DE Reggie White

DE Deacon Jones

DT Alan Page

DT Cortez Kennedy

OLB Lawrence Taylor

MLB Ray Lewis

OLB Andre Tippett

CB Mike Haynes

CB Mel Blount

SS Ronnie Lott

FS Ed Reed

I'd put this defense against any all-time NFL offense...and that offense is dead meat. And God help the QB and WRs on passing downs.

DE Reggie White

DE Deacon Jones

DT Alan Page

DT Cortez Kennedy

OLB Lawrence Taylor

MLB Ray Lewis

OLB Andre Tippett

CB Mike Haynes

CB Mel Blount

SS Ronnie Lott

FS Ed Reed

I'd put this defense against any all-time NFL offense...and that offense is dead meat. And God help the QB and WRs on passing downs.

Singletary > Lewis IMO

Singletary > Lewis IMO

MLB is a hair-splitter....Singletary was a maniac too.

But I also stacked it with big CBs who were excellent in coverage and vicious hitters as well. And if the CBs didn't punish them...Ronnie Lott did. And that's IF the QB didn't get maimed before he could even pass the ball.

That defense in today's game would probably be flagged left and right, and suspended half the season.

Law and his physical play and 53 career picks dont belong? Come on now, And I'll give you Suh but years from now if he stays healthy is quite clear he is going to go down as one of the best to play the position, I mean if we really wanted to be picky we can take Ware out to since he does not have the most sacks of all time, Long story short all of these guys in there prime can line up against any offense and have alot of success besides you cant just say some of my picks dont belong and not give any reason for it

Mike Haynes, Mel Blount, and Deion Sanders (puke) > Ty Law

Suh isn't even the best DT playing right now

And nobody in their right mind would take Strahan over Bruce Smith

Mike Haynes, Mel Blount, and Deion Sanders (puke) > Ty Law

Suh isn't even the best DT playing right now

And nobody in their right mind would take Strahan over Bruce Smith

I like Smith but decided Strahan instead, It took Smith 19 years to reach 200 sacks, Strahan also forced 14 fumbles in his career, Sanders was not as good as Law, he was afraid to be physical

unitas , then jim Brown, he never needed to find holes, he just ran over anyone in his way and made own hioles , I can picture him Vs an entire team  & no OL in front of him on 3rd and short and just getting it easily

I'm Old Scholol ,, but Peyton is Just fine as is Elway

Really hard question because Manning and Johnny are almost the same. Peyton is the Johnny of his era, and Johnny was Peyton before he was Peyton. lol

Colts Bias :heh:

If it wasn't a QB then probably Jim Brown.

man are we thinking the same way

Love Joe Montana.

Having said that, I go Slingin' Sammy Baugh.

Most greatest versatile player of all-time.

I draft Sammy, I have a QB, D-back & Punter in 1 pick.

I win!

:thmup:

i must admit i was thinking of him , Slingin' Sammy Baugh. in the back of my mind too for such versatility

One reason I didnt was during 1 great stretch of his career ,World War 2 is when he was able to avoid being drafted and played against inferior personel, Most players of NFL went into the military leaving only  those actually unfit for service and those l;ike Sammy that were able to avoid the draft

Jamie Dukes. haha  lmao:funny::spit:rotflmao

Please tell me the HoF on the Steelers offense, or the Giants.

Are you kidding? I am talking about the steelers from the 70's- here are just the HoF on offense

RB - Franco Harris

WR - Lynn Swann

WR - John Stallworth

C - Mike Webster (not a skill position but still HoF)

The steelers of the 70's are considered to be the most talented teams to ever step on a field. I would agree. I would probably put the niners of the 80's behind them and then the cowboys. The Pats of the 2000's are a distant fourth in terms of overall talent. The only HoF that may come off those championship teams behind Brady is Law.

The Giants don't count as I am talking about the dynasty decade teams.

Oh boy. I love Law and all his Manning picks but he cannot tie Deion's shoes. Not even close man.

Oh boy. I love Law and all his Manning picks but he cannot tie Deion's shoes. Not even close man.

There is just no way Sanders is a better cover Corner, all around better football player? of course, But better Corner? Sanders was scared to be physical and tackling was out of the question

There is just no way Sanders is a better cover Corner, all around better football player? of course, But better Corner? Sanders was scared to be physical and tackling was out of the question

I am not sure what you are talking about. The receivers never got the ball when Sanders covered them. He shut down the entire half of the field. He was plenty physical when he needed to be but rarely did the WR get the ball on him. He was also ten times faster than Law. And if we are talking about who to draft, don't you want the best football player?

I am not sure what you are talking about. The receivers never got the ball when Sanders covered them. He shut down the entire half of the field. He was plenty physical when he needed to be but rarely did the WR get the ball on him. He was also ten times faster than Law. And if we are talking about who to draft, don't you want the best football player?

If it came down to picking Law or Sanders then I'd go Law

Really hard question because Manning and Johnny are almost the same. Peyton is the Johnny of his era, and Johnny was Peyton before he was Peyton. lol

Colts Bias :heh:

If it wasn't a QB then probably Jim Brown.

Unitas had 1 up on Peyton, he ran better, and I remember some running TDs, not talking about sneaks but running around edge to corner of goal , but then again, not that hard to be better than Peyton at that and Unitas wasnt a great runner from what II remember but in his time cant remember one that really was ( LOL )

I like Smith but decided Strahan instead, It took Smith 19 years to reach 200 sacks, Strahan also forced 14 fumbles in his career, Sanders was not as good as Law, he was afraid to be physical

I doubt Strahan would pick himself over Bruce Smith...it's not really close

With the 1st pick in the 2013 NFL Historical Draft, Dustin selects: John Elway QB Denver.

Who do you take?

Elway can't hold a candle to Unitas or Montana. He lost three Super Bowls, until he finally won the last two, while Unitas and Montana won four Championships. On top of that, this guy was a spoiled brat that refused to come to the Colts when drafted, and played the George Steinbrenner NY Yankees off the Colts to force a trade to Denver. Unitas and Montana took losing organizations to great heights, and never complained. Elway was a dishonorable guy for doing this, similar to what Eli Manning did to the San Diego Chargers. Contrast this behavior with Peyton Manning, who willingly came the the Colts, and led them out of the doldrums. I'm happy that the Baltimore Raven's rained on Elway's parade this year. It is revenge for what he did to the Baltimore Colts all those years ago. Elway was a great quarterback, but he didn't win enough, and this character flaw to me, would totally exclude him from the top pick in a historic NFL draft.

Elway can't hold a candle to Unitas or Montana. He lost three Super Bowls, until he finally won the last two, while Unitas and Montana won four Championships. On top of that, this guy was a spoiled brat that refused to come to the Colts when drafted, and played the George Steinbrenner NY Yankees off the Colts to force a trade to Denver. Unitas and Montana took losing organizations to great heights, and never complained. Elway was a dishonorable guy for doing this, similar to what Eli Manning did to the San Diego Chargers. Contrast this behavior with Peyton Manning, who willingly came the the Colts, and led them out of the doldrums. I'm happy that the Baltimore Raven's rained on Elway's parade this year. It is revenge for what he did to the Baltimore Colts all those years ago. Elway was a great quarterback, but he didn't win enough, and this character flaw to me, would totally exclude him from the top pick in a historic NFL draft.

John Elway carried some of the worst teams ever assembled to 3 Super Bowls in the pre-salary cap era. There was not one HOF player on any of those 3 Broncos teams that Elway brought to the Super Bowl. Montana played on the most stacked teams in NFL history and was a glorified system QB that happened to be really good at running an innovative system implemented by one of the greatest coaches of all time. What happened when Elway got the talent around him that Montana had his whole career? 2 Super Bowls in 4 years. Elway would have won 9 Super Bowls on that 49ers team.

Montana would have been lucky to get those early Broncos team to the playoffs, let alone the SB.

Elway did the right thing when he spurned the Colts....they had awful ownership. I will never blame a player for refusing to sign with a poor organization.

Obviously, you would pick a QB first...you need s strong leader...I'd go with Peyton, or Brady, but I'm gonna throw in one that no one ever mentions to be close. Gayle Sayres He's not my favorite all-time RB, but he could do it all. He would definitely be my #1 back picked. (i know you all probably won't agree with that, but to each his own)

Are you kidding? I am talking about the steelers from the 70's- here are just the HoF on offense

RB - Franco Harris

WR - Lynn Swann

WR - John Stallworth

C - Mike Webster (not a skill position but still HoF)

The steelers of the 70's are considered to be the most talented teams to ever step on a field. I would agree. I would probably put the niners of the 80's behind them and then the cowboys. The Pats of the 2000's are a distant fourth in terms of overall talent. The only HoF that may come off those championship teams behind Brady is Law.

The Giants don't count as I am talking about the dynasty decade teams.

See I was talking about this last decade. You said Brady was the only person to win multiple championships with junk. I don't remember any HoF on those offenses.