Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What do you expect from Luck in 2013?

amfootball

I think Luck is the real deal and the best QB of the rookie QB class by far. I think he cuts his INTs in half and does not have as many fourth quarter comebacks because he will have the lead more. I also think they take the division from the Texans. Bold prediction I know but if they had beat them in Houston last season they would have won it last year. I also think Irasy is a genius. In one season he put together a playoff team after blowing everything up in the off-season.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see him throwing around 550 passes and a little over 4,000 yards with a 64% completion percentage. I'll say he has 28-10 TD:Interception ratio. I still think Houston wins the division but we'll easily get the wild card.

With Patriots (at home) and Ravens (on the road) on their schedule, I think the Colts have a GREAT chance to dethrone Texans this year, IMO. Those 2 games will make the difference, IMO. I think we can beat both the Dolphins at home and Bengals on the road.

With Patriots (at home) and Ravens (on the road) on their schedule, I think the Colts have a GREAT chance to dethrone Texans this year, IMO. Those 2 games will make the difference, IMO. I think we can beat both the Dolphins at home and Bengals on the road.

We still play the same schedule outside of that though. The Texans are much better suited to take on the likes of Denver, San Fran, and Seattle than we are.

We still play the same schedule outside of that though. The Texans are much better suited to take on the likes of Denver, San Fran, and Seattle than we are.

San Fran and Seattle are better run Ds than pass Ds. They will force Schaub to throw and beat the Texans.

We have a better chance of beating one of them because of Luck, than the Texans, as crazy as it sounds.

San Fran and Seattle are better run Ds than pass Ds. They will force Schaub to throw and beat the Texans.

We have a better chance of beating one of them because of Luck, than the Texans, as crazy as it sounds.

Didn't realize you were playing the NFC west. That is tough, tough. Ravens away and Pats at home are not gimmies but still think it is enough for Colts to win division at 10 or 11 wins. I expect the Texans to come way down after the Pats exposed them twice last year. Schaub never looked the same after the early Dec. game.

I am hopeful that the turnovers will lessen.  I think its a forgone conclusion that his completion % will go up simply for the fact that we will be using a type of offense(WCO/Hybrid) that fits his skill set.  Don't get me wrong, I believe that there will be a fair share of deep throws, but now that TY has had a season to acclimate and those two will have better chemistry as well as all the other WR's.  Completion % should raise to mid 60's and the int's will drop to the mid teens.  I do see him at around 30 td's :)

I expect Luck to take on a greater leadership role, especially since he has much more familiarity with the new offense.  The new offese should allow for Luck to make quicker reads, leading to less sacks, and an increase in completion percentage. I expect Luck to be very successful in this offense, almost at the level of Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady-- almost.

We beat the Ravens pretty handily this season already. I expect the same next year. And I wouldn't be so quick to assume that NE will beat us again...we will keep it even more competitive than we did last time. I believe the Texans will win the South again, but maybe the Colts can get a wild card. Dolphins and Bengals are still going to be stout competition for it though.

I think Luck is the real deal and the best QB of the rookie QB class by far. 

While Luck at times was impressive, a couple of other rookie QB's were impressive to a greater degree than Luck.  It's not accurate to say he was best of the rookie class "by far".  I thought both Griffin and Wilson looked consistently more impressive than Luck.  Does that mean I believe the Colts messed up by drafting him?  Not at all.

Luck may develop into a high quality QB, but he needs to get better at protecting the ball and his decision making.  

While Luck at times was impressive, a couple of other rookie QB's were impressive to a greater degree than Luck.  It's not accurate to say he was best of the rookie class "by far".  I thought both Griffin and Wilson looked consistently more impressive than Luck.  Does that mean I believe the Colts messed up by drafting him?  Not at all.

Luck may develop into a high quality QB, but he needs to get better at protecting the ball and his decision making.  

It's pretty easy to protect the ball when you only throw it 20 times a game.

That's part of a QB's decision making process.  Still, you can't say Luck was by far the best of the rookie QB's last season.  

Sure I can. Luck played behind the second worst O-line in the league, no run game, and 2 receivers that ranked #1 overall in dropped pass percentage with 16.7%. 

Sure I can. Luck played behind the second worst O-line in the league, no run game, and 2 receivers that ranked #1 overall in dropped pass percentage with 16.7%. 

As a homer you can claim that, but not as an objective observer.  Sometimes you need to remove the "homer glasses".

As a homer you can claim that, but not as an objective observer.  Sometimes you need to remove the "homer glasses".

I presented you with facts. But I guess it's easier to claim someone is a homer then to present a counter argument to real statistics.

I presented you with facts. But I guess it's easier to claim someone is a homer then to present a counter argument to real statistics.

You presented me with fact?  Where?

And yes, if you can sit there and honestly say that Luck was by far the best rookie QB last season, you are doing that as a homer.  

It's not necessarily being a homer. I don't know who was the most impressive, but Luck was asked to a lot more than the other rookie quarterbacks.

You presented me with fact?  Where?

And yes, if you can sit there and honestly say that Luck was by far the best rookie QB last season, you are doing that as a homer.  

Where are the facts? Really?

Drop Rates: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/21/signature-stats-drop-rate-wide-receivers/

You'll notice that Avery and Hilton are ranked #1.

O-lines: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/28/ranking-the-2012-offensive-lines/

You'll notice Indy is ranked 31.

Running Games: http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=TM&offensiveStatisticCategory=RUSHING&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&season=2012&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=false&Submit=Go

You'll see Indy is ranked #22.

Pass Attempts: http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=TEAM_PASSING&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_ATTEMPTS&tabSeq=2&season=2012&role=TM&Submit=Go&archive=false&conference=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&qualified=false

You'll see Indy is ranked #6.

But yeah I'm being a homer.

It's not necessarily being a homer. I don't know who was the most impressive, but Luck was asked to a lot more than the other rookie quarterbacks.

Was he?  You know this for a fact?  I would say the guys running the read option offense were asked to do more.

If Luck is "by far" the better QB, do you think Shanahan is regretting his choice?  Do you think Seattle would trade QB situations with the Colts?  

Where are the facts? Really?

Drop Rates: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/21/signature-stats-drop-rate-wide-receivers/

You'll notice that Avery and Hilton are ranked #1.

O-lines: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/10/24/offensive-line-rankings/

You'll notice Indy is ranked 31.

Running Games: http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=TM&offensiveStatisticCategory=RUSHING&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&season=2012&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=false&Submit=Go

You'll see Indy is ranked #22.

Pass Attempts: http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=TEAM_PASSING&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_ATTEMPTS&tabSeq=2&season=2012&role=TM&Submit=Go&archive=false&conference=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&qualified=false

You'll see Indy is ranked #6.

But yeah I'm being a homer.

That's great, but it still doesn't translate into Luck being the best rookie QB "by far" last season.  And yes, you are being a homer on the Luck issue. There's nothing wrong with that if you just admit it.

Was he?  You know this for a fact?  I would say the guys running the read option offense were asked to do more.

If Luck is "by far" the better QB, do you think Shanahan is regretting his choice?  Do you think Seattle would trade QB situations with the Colts?  

I don't know it for a fact...but when every ex player and coach says as much I tend to believe it.

I never said he was by far the better QB...I didn't even say he was better

That's great, but it still doesn't translate into Luck being the best rookie QB "by far" last season.  And yes, you are being a homer on the Luck issue. There's nothing wrong with that if you just admit it.

You're seriously harping on this guys opinion after you claimed Manti Te'o was under hyped and he was "easily and by far the best LB EVER in college football"

I don't know it for a fact...but when every ex player and coach says as much I tend to believe it.

I never said he was by far the better QB...I didn't even say he was better

The opening post in this thread made the claim that Luck was "by far" the best rookie QB last season.  I say that's a highly biased claim.  As "homer" claim if you will.

It absolutely is being a homer to say he was by far the best rookie QB.  I think Griffin was the most impressive (when healthy) and even I know it is utterly ridiculous to claim that he was leagues ahead of his fellow rookie competition.  All of those guys looked very good and each proved to have a distinct and successful style.  This isn't a Peyton Manning vs. Michael Vick thing as some seem to want it to be (or Matt Leinart vs. Steve Young from the opposite perspective).

The "he was asked to do a lot more than those other guys" line is one that may very well be true but is almost entirely conjecture.  I don't think anyone here knows enough to say anything definitive about what burdens these guys were asked to carry.

It's pretty easy to protect the ball when you only throw it 20 times a game.

Interception rates, my friend.  The numbers suggest that Griffin and Wilson would both have thrown less interceptions on the same number of passes as Luck (granted, Wilson would have at least been close).

It absolutely is being a homer to say he was by far the best rookie QB.  I think Griffin was the most impressive (when healthy) and even I know it is utterly ridiculous to claim that he was leagues ahead of his fellow rookie competition.  All of those guys looked very good and each proved to have a distinct and successful style.  This isn't a Peyton Manning vs. Michael Vick thing as some seem to want it to be (or Matt Leinart vs. Steve Young from the opposite perspective).

The "he was asked to do a lot more than those other guys" line is one that may very well be true but is almost entirely conjecture.  I don't think anyone here knows enough to say anything definitive about what burdens these guys were asked to carry.

Interception rates, my friend.  The numbers suggest that Griffin and Wilson would both have thrown less interceptions on the same number of passes as Luck (granted, Wilson would have at least been close).

Interception rates are misleading when you run an offense that basically utilizes a forward pass as a trick play.

I think players who played the position and people who were paid to coach in the NFL know enough.