Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What do you expect from Luck in 2013?

amfootball

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure I can.  

Wilson had a much better TD to int ratio and completion % and a far better overall QB rating.  He also carried his team to a playoff win and nearly pulled out a trip to the NFC championship game  with phenomenal play in the 4th QTR of the game with Atlanta. 

RGII had a dramatically higher TD to Int ratio with a much greater completion % and a dramatically higher QB rating.

I'm just going against the homer flow here which claims Luck was "far better" than the other two.  He wasn't.

One could make an argument for any of the three.  That means one did not stand out positively over the other.  Anyone with even half a clue knows that it's a close judgement call between the three.

Read this and then tell me Luck is not far better, http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1433559-how-do-nfls-2012-rookie-qbs-stack-up-in-the-clutch

Posted · Hidden by Superman, February 21, 2013 - quoted wrong post
Hidden by Superman, February 21, 2013 - quoted wrong post

Here's another example of objectivity in ranking the rookie QB's.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000121117/article/rookie-qb-rankings-season-in-review-rg3-on-top

The bottom line is that there were three rookie QB's who stood out last season.  Not one could be said to be "by far" better than the other.  In fact, it's simply an opinion as the which was was the best period.  Even if you think one stood out, it has to be a close call.

That article really highlights how good all three rookies were last season. Maybe those three won't constitute the best quarterback class ever, but they probably had the best rookie seasons a quarterback class has ever had.

That article really highlights how good all three rookies were last season. Maybe those three won't constitute the best quarterback class ever, but they probably had the best rookie seasons a quarterback class has ever had.

Then you did not read it closely. The author shows you how much Luck outperformed RG and Wilson on third down conversions which is the money down in football and fourth quarter comebacks. And remember this, Luck did it on a team far less talented with inferior coaching.

Then you did not read it closely. The author shows you how much Luck outperformed RG and Wilson on third down conversions which is the money down in football and fourth quarter comebacks. And remember this, Luck did it on a team far less talented with inferior coaching.

Is that really all you got out of it?

I read this article weeks ago. I agree that Luck outperformed the others, and I personally believe Luck is the better quarterback. But the other two guys did pretty doggone good themselves. Through 12 games, Griffin and Wilson were a combined 13-16 on fourth down. The writer asks why coaches don't go for it more often on fourth down, and I agree. If rookies can be that successful on fourth down, why can't teams be a little more liberal there?

Anyways, whether you're a Griffin or Wilson guy or a Luck guy, this group of rookies was mighty impressive.

Huh? What point? It says Luck far outperformed the other two in the most critical aspects of the QB position. Cannot be any more plain than that. Just accept that you lost this one. It's ok. We all lose sometimes.

Then you read the article and only absorbed what you wanted to absorb.  It said he outperfomed the others in one specific area.  Not by much, but outperformed them just the same.  Nowhere did it make the claim that Luck is a far better QB than the others.

The same could be said of Griffin. When was the last time the Redskins made the playoffs before he arrived? Wilson I think had a much better team overall than either 12 or Griff. He still did a good job though.

For what little it's worth -- and I stress 'little'....   I'm not offended or bothered by anything our new poster has said about Andrew Luck.

Doubt there's anyone here who is a bigger fan of Andrew than I am.   Equal, yes.   Bigger,  I doubt it.

And I don't think Luck was better 'by far' than RG3 or RW.    I won't repeat all the reasons why,  all of you know them and they've been listed in various posts.    But I thought Luck was better and deserving of the ROY.

As to his numbers....   until I see the better oline and see how Pep Hamilton runs an NFL offense, I'm not prepared to give Luck a big jump in his numbers yet.

So, I'm expecting 4,000 yards-plus,   and I'm expecting roughly 62-64% completion.   And after a year of 23/18 td/int, I'll bump that to 25/15.      I'll reserve the right to adjust these numbers after the pre-season,  but not before.

But to expect 30 TD passes, I think is unrealistic.   That just doesn't happen as often in an NFL season as one might think....

For what little it's worth -- and I stress 'little'....   I'm not offended or bothered by anything our new poster has said about Andrew Luck.

Doubt there's anyone here who is a bigger fan of Andrew than I am.   Equal, yes.   Bigger,  I doubt it.

And I don't think Luck was better 'by far' than RG3 or RW.    I won't repeat all the reasons why,  all of you know them and they've been listed in various posts.    But I thought Luck was better and deserving of the ROY.

As to his numbers....   until I see the better oline and see how Pep Hamilton runs an NFL offense, I'm not prepared to give Luck a big jump in his numbers yet.

So, I'm expecting 4,000 yards-plus,   and I'm expecting roughly 62-64% completion.   And after a year of 23/18 td/int, I'll bump that to 25/15.      I'll reserve the right to adjust these numbers after the pre-season,  but not before.

But to expect 30 TD passes, I think is unrealistic.   That just doesn't happen as often in an NFL season as one might think....

I agree about Pep. The other thing too to remember is Arians pretty much ran the team last year. Not sure what to expect out of Pagano either. And there is always the dreaded sophmore slump. I think 30 TDs may be a bit high as well.

I aslo think Wilson has the much better team and can contend with the niners but I still don't see them taking the west not just yet. I think RG is in the most winnable division just because the Cowboys still have Romo and the Eagles signed Vick to a one year deal. The giants could be there but they will be retooling their D so I think the east is RGs to own if he is healthy which is a big if. I also think he has the best coaching too.

Those are Hall of fame all time great type numbers.  He didn't show that type of potential in his rookie year.

I certainly wouldn't expect that.  Maybe the yards, but 35 TD's?  Really? 30 would be gargantuan.   10 INT's really?  If he's throwing the ball enough to pile up 4,300 yds and 35 TD's he's also going to throw a boat load of INT's.

It's gonna happen. Sorry to disappoint you.

Sure why not? I mean if the Texans can win the AFC South 2 years in a row anything is possible :P

What's up with the Texans bashing?    

I know you're a Colts fan and all that,  and I'm not asking you to like them....    but any neutral person would say the Texans have one of the 5-6 best rosters in the NFL.     They let Mario Williams walk and didn't miss a beat.   Say what you will,  but that's a well run franchise.

I know you're a Colts fan and all that,  and I'm not asking you to like them....    but any neutral person would say the Texans have one of the 5-6 best rosters in the NFL.     They let Mario Williams walk and didn't miss a beat.   Say what you will,  but that's a well run franchise.

I was digging the Texans until the Pats game in early Dec. They called it the biggest game in their franchise history and on the first play on offense they lined up off-sides. They were never prepared for the Pats hurry up either always missing lining up correctly so a receiver or RB was wide open. They after trailing big they pulled all their starters with 12 minutes to go in the fourth. It was a stunning concession. They were never the same after that. So yeah, Colts can take that division.

What bashing? it was a light hearted jab at them for being below us for so long. Qwiz got it, so I'm curious of your motives here.

What bashing? it was a light hearted jab at them for being below us for so long. Qwiz got it, so I'm curious of your motives here.

I've got no motives here other than to figure out why there's so much Texans hate around here.

A fan not liking a rival team,  I get that....

A fan not recognizing that another team is really quite good and very well run,  that I don't get...

I've got no motives here other than to figure out why there's so much Texans hate around here.

A fan not liking a rival team,  I get that....

A fan not recognizing that another team is really quite good and very well run,  that I don't get...

Ok well I don't hate the Texans, and I'm not "not recognizing" them either. Your generalizing me into a group of other people and it's not appreciated.

Ok well I don't hate the Texans, and I'm not "not recognizing" them either. Your generalizing me into a group of other people and it's not appreciated.

Take a deep breath....   I only responded to you because you were the last post on that issue that I saw...   I could've responded to any other poster who I thought took a shot at Houston....    and that's what I thought you did,  take a shot at Houston...

Not a big deal. 

No need to get all caught up in generalizing and saying it's not appreciated.....

Just an internet board...   I was just asking a question....

That's part of a QB's decision making process.  Still, you can't say Luck was by far the best of the rookie QB's last season.  

I can & Do . Andrew Luck like Peyton Manning before him carried the load , No defense . RG3 & Wilson had a good running game & defense .

So yes LUCK was by far Hands Down the best .   RG3 is frail & needs to learn a play book . :thmup:

Take a deep breath....   I only responded to you because you were the last post on that issue that I saw...   I could've responded to any other poster who I thought took a shot at Houston....    and that's what I thought you did,  take a shot at Houston...

Not a big deal. 

No need to get all caught up in generalizing and saying it's not appreciated.....

Just an internet board...   I was just asking a question....

No actually my comment was meant to be a funny and light hearted response. Your making it seem like I'm bashing the Texans. I mean seriously. If you want to make a thread about people bashing the Texans then go ahead. Your comments here were out of place and uncalled for.

I know you're a Colts fan and all that, and I'm not asking you to like them.... but any neutral person would say the Texans have one of the 5-6 best rosters in the NFL. They let Mario Williams walk and didn't miss a beat. Say what you will, but that's a well run franchise.

Oh no it's cool NCF. SilentHill wasn't actually bashing the Texans, it was just a friendly jab. Happens a lot when rival teams fans spend enough time together on forums or even real life. There are maybe two people here that are excluded from this, but I've never really got along with them in the first place haha.

I can & Do . Andrew Luck like Peyton Manning before him carried the load , No defense . RG3 & Wilson had a good running game & defense .

So yes LUCK was by far Hands Down the best . RG3 is frail & needs to learn a play book . :thmup:

-___-

I was digging the Texans until the Pats game in early Dec. They called it the biggest game in their franchise history and on the first play on offense they lined up off-sides. They were never prepared for the Pats hurry up either always missing lining up correctly so a receiver or RB was wide open. They after trailing big they pulled all their starters with 12 minutes to go in the fourth. It was a stunning concession. They were never the same after that. So yeah, Colts can take that division.

We weren't the same because our defense took some hits/injuries and everyone knows even the best defenses start to wear down by the end of the year. It was a miracle we even played cohesively when Cush got hurt, and we even attempted a late comeback against you guys in the playoffs, making the score even closer than it should have been. Make no mistake, this team is going to continue to improve. Once we get another darn capable receiver and an LB or 2, we're going to be ready for Brady's Bunch next season.

Why would there be immense defensive regression?

Because the scenarios in which the games were played last year are unlikely to be sustainable. 8 fourth quarter comeback wins is an abnormality no matter how you look at it, and I believe that this year either the Colts win them outright or they are blown out because of their defense, which wasn't good in the first place. I do not see a repeat of 8 comeback wins.

Because the scenarios in which the games were played last year are unlikely to be sustainable. 8 fourth quarter comeback wins is an abnormality no matter how you look at it, and I believe that this year either the Colts win them outright or they are blown out because of their defense, which wasn't good in the first place. I do not see a repeat of 8 comeback wins.

What does that have to do with the D regressing? They're basically the same unit so why would there just be a dramatic drop off? I mean you pretty much just said the D was bad all year lol. Why would they magically just get worse?

If anything having our defensive minded head coach with us for the entire season would, in theory, improve the defense.

Also if Andrew had the year you predicted he might, it's likely D could play more loose, or possibly with a lead for some of our games.

I feel confident however, that the D will be an upgrade from last years unit.

We weren't the same because our defense took some hits/injuries and everyone knows even the best defenses start to wear down by the end of the year. It was a miracle we even played cohesively when Cush got hurt, and we even attempted a late comeback against you guys in the playoffs, making the score even closer than it should have been. Make no mistake, this team is going to continue to improve. Once we get another darn capable receiver and an LB or 2, we're going to be ready for Brady's Bunch next season.

Are you really going to play the injury card? When the Pats beat you in early Dec they did it without Gronk and had Donte Stallworth at WR who had not played for them all year and still caught a 50 yard bomb on you. While I understand the loss of Cush was huge for your team it was also much earlier in the season. The texans came into Gillette at 10-1 with letterman jackets and all and were completely not prepared on either side of the ball. So much so that they pulled their starters with more than 10 minutes to go in the fourth.

In terms of the playoff game, both Gronk and Woodhead went out on the first series and Brady still put up 40+. If not for the horrid kickoff coverage by the Pats the end score would have been much worse than the Dec. game. 

Not sure what you think of Gary Kubiak as a HC but I see a guy that only knows how to play one way. Run, run, run Foster and then play action. And Wade Phillips seems to only know how to blitz. Something has to change there first. I agree that you certainly have a stout team but the coaching seems very suspect to me. Interested in your thoughts.

Are you really going to play the injury card? When the Pats beat you in early Dec they did it without Gronk and had Donte Stallworth at WR who had not played for them all year and still caught a 50 yard bomb on you. While I understand the loss of Cush was huge for your team it was also much earlier in the season. The texans came into Gillette at 10-1 with letterman jackets and all and were completely not prepared on either side of the ball. So much so that they pulled their starters with more than 10 minutes to go in the fourth.

In terms of the playoff game, both Gronk and Woodhead went out on the first series and Brady still put up 40+. If not for the horrid kickoff coverage by the Pats the end score would have been much worse than the Dec. game. 

Not sure what you think of Gary Kubiak as a HC but I see a guy that only knows how to play one way. Run, run, run Foster and then play action. And Wade Phillips seems to only know how to blitz. Something has to change there first. I agree that you certainly have a stout team but the coaching seems very suspect to me. Interested in your thoughts.

There is no "injury card" there is just what it simply was: Injuries. Yes we came in 10-1, feeling good and all, but we faced a tough reality. Our secondary was not as good as we thought it was. JoJo had a strained hamstring and we already knew that things were not going to go the way we wanted them to. I don't think it matters that Gronkowski did not play. We were still going against Tom Brady, and we could not get pressure on him at all; And we all know what happens when a team cannot get pressure on Brady. Kubiak has got to be the most conservative coach in the NFL right now, unfortunately. Once we upgrade at wideout, and alleviate some of the pressure from Andre, however, I believe that our offense will be top three in the NFL. I don't think anything is wrong with Phillips' coaching. He turned this team around and we owe him largely. He might get a few new toys to play with in the offseason as well.

What do you think of Schaub? I remembering reading an article I think in one of the Houston papers that said one of the things the Pats did to him was take away the middle and force him to throw to the sidelines which is a weakness apparently. The Bengals employed the same strategy and got the pick six early in the playoff game. I like Shaub personally. I think he can make all the throws but needs more than just Johnson who seems to disappear at times.

What do you think of Schaub? I remembering reading an article I think in one of the Houston papers that said one of the things the Pats did to him was take away the middle and force him to throw to the sidelines which is a weakness apparently. The Bengals employed the same strategy and got the pick six early in the playoff game. I like Shaub personally. I think he can make all the throws but needs more than just Johnson who seems to disappear at times.

Yeah...Schaub throwing to the sidelines is never a good thing. He'll either float the ball and have an inaccurate as heck throw or he'll throw completely over the receiver, leaving one to wonder whether or not he was throwing the ball away on purpose altogether. And you are right...he does need more than Andre. Andre does not disappear but when the defense knows that you are the only real threat out there in the receiving game, you will be blanketed the majority of the time. Especially if our PA isn't going as smoothly as it should early in the game. I think Schaub can take us to the big one but he's going to need some help.